Pro Wrestling Only

Joey Styles has been released

raul

People feeling offended by Styles making a non-PC remark is a pretty accurate way of describing what's going on, at least with him getting fired from Chikara and Beyond and the ongoing online backlash. If it was just a matter of Styles being told no political jokes, making a joke about Trump's wall anyway, and getting fired for it, no one on either side would care.

I'm not sure if saying people were "offended" is actually the right term to use in regards to the backlash, though. Is anyone seriously offended? It wouldn't seem so given that the two female wrestlers who commented on this were pretty firmly in the anti-PC camp. What's going on isn't a legitimate offense but a manufactured SJW outrage, wherein people have gone out of their way to take Styles's words out of context and interpret them in the worst way possible. It's obvious Styles didn't intend the joke to be about sexual assault, but that's what they say it's about because that's what they want it to be about.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People feeling offended by Styles making a non-PC remark is a pretty accurate way of describing what's going on, at least with him getting fired from Chikara and Beyond and the ongoing online backlash. If it was just a matter of Styles being told no political jokes, making a joke about Trump's wall anyway, and getting fired for it, no one on either side would care.

I'm not sure if saying people were "offended" is actually the right term to use in regards to the backlash, though. Is anyone seriously offended? It wouldn't seem so given that the two female wrestlers who commented on this were pretty firmly in the anti-PC camp. What's going on isn't a legitimate offense but a manufactured SJW outrage, wherein people have gone out of their way to take Styles's words out of context and interpret them in the worst way possible. It's obvious Styles didn't intend the joke to be about sexual assault, but that's what they say it's about because that's what they want it to be about.

There you go again. First, you keep saying it's obvious, except it's not obvious from the words he said and the actual clip if you watch it. Second, you also continue to ignore how deliberately disobeying a promoter's orders and then posting a self-righteous littered with lies non-apology, apology letter would look to other wrestling promotions he was associated with.

What would be your reaction if I was invited to go out with you and your friends. I was there and I pointed to one of the girls in your group of friends (call her X) and said "Hey X, you are very pretty tonight. If Donald Trump was here he would want to grab you by the _____".

There you go again. First, you keep saying it's obvious, except it's not obvious from the words he said and the actual clip if you watch it. Second, you also continue to ignore how deliberately disobeying a promoter's orders and then posting a self-righteous littered with lies non-apology, apology letter would look to other wrestling promotions he was associated with.

So wrestling twitter is so self-righteous now they take it upon themselves to hound wrestling promoters to fire people who .. disobeyed their boss in another company?

Are we happy with that?

Seems pretty invasive to me. And not only that, it casts all the people from twitter like a collective bunch of petty tell-tale tits.

If I ever bunk off work I better not tell them, I guess, lest they start telling every university around not to employ me.

It's CLEARLY about the offensiveness of the comment. There is literally no other narrative you can weave about this that doesn't make wrestling twitter seem like the biggest bunch of cunts of all time. So tread carefully.

So wrestling twitter is so self-righteous now they take it upon themselves to hound wrestling promoters to fire people who .. disobeyed their boss in another company?

Are we happy with that?

Seems pretty invasive to me. And not only that, it casts all the people from twitter like a collective bunch of petty tell-tale tits.

If I ever bunk off work I better not tell them, I guess, lest they start telling every university around not to employ me.

It's CLEARLY about the offensiveness of the comment. There is literally no other narrative you can weave about this that doesn't make wrestling twitter seem like the biggest bunch of cunts of all time. So tread carefully.

Joey got fired from Beyond and Chikara because he showed himself to be a misogynist jerk. Chikara made that really clear with their letter, they do not condone that.

I definitely hate the idea of people having their lives destroyed for comments they make. The object should be to reform them and educate them, not punish.

When they apologize and say, I didn't offend anyone because I didn't use the word pussy? When they apologize and say the only reason they were fired, was because it was political and he was told no politics? In the apology they are blatant lies too, like him saying Jeremy Blotter was not upset, when he said he was on twitter.

What do you do then?

Also, add in that he was a really horrible announcer.

I believe in the sentiment, Loss and I agree, but in this case he should just be fired.

Are we happy with that?

If I ever bunk off work I better not tell them I guess, lest they start telling every university around not to employ me.

On the hoopla, I'm not speaking for wrestling twitter. I am speaking for myself and have tried to keep things on the substance, not the ready-made, distorting glass that a many people want to pigeonhole viewing this issue through.

If I've got to speculate based on what I've seen and read, then I'd speculate a bunch of the Styles backlash is about the comments themselves and some people having a disproportionate get out the pitchforks mentality because its twitter and that's what people do on there. And some of it is how lots of fans hate Joey Styles for varying reasons and this is a reason to go after him, so they don't have to see anymore of a guy who they think is a hack.

Personally, I don't really about evolve and don't watch it. I watched the clip. I thought it was a joke in very poor taste, poorly executed, and a head-scratching thing for a non-heel announcer to be doing. When I found out Styles was actually openly disobeying his employer's orders on air (and not doing so in a very entertaining way either) and that he issued an egotistical and weak apology letter after the fact, I can completely see why a promoter would shit-can him...even a promoter in another company, because he's unreliable. I'm not going to advocate that any employer should fire him, but it's perfectly reasonable to me why they would, especially if he's a prick when approached about this. However, any promoter who caves solely because wrestling twitter is calling for/"pressuring" them to axe Joey Styles probably isn't going to be successful or last very long. This is wrestling. If a promotion wants to, they could, god help us all, try to turn this into some sort of worked shoot angle down the line. Evolve could've done that instead of firing him too. You're going to tell me somebody couldn't have done some angle and set up a match where the selling point was Joey Styles 'the misogynist' was going to get his ass beat with stiff weapon shots and have to bump? They absolutely could.

I believe in the sentiment, Loss and I agree, but in this case he should just be fired.

I can see why a promoter would want him fired. But a fan? It's not enough to just call him out on his bullshit and ridicule him? You've gotta demand he'd lose his job with every wrestling promotion he's associated with, not just the one where he made the comments and acted out?

Here's the big issue I have with all of this anti-pc stuff.

If I say something and someone tells me it's offensive. It hurts this group, it marginalizes them, or even it just hurts them personally. You know what I do? I stop, because I don't want to offend or piss people off. Why would I?

For example I grew up in a small hick town in the 90s, saying things were so god or that was retarded was phrases that everybody said. I don't say them know, because I know they offend people. What would be the purpose, unless you want to offend those people?

Even personally, some people care about which version of their name you use (Pete or Peter, or whatever). If that person told you, you know I prefer this version and I don't like the other. You would obviously use the version their prefer. Why wouldn't you?

So if you want to make racist, misogynist or sexual assault jokes you are free to. Just know you are pissing people off and upsetting others. Why would you want to do that?

This is fine as a general principle. The problem is when offense is defined so broadly as to encompass any contrary viewpoint. Right now, college campuses are literally providing coloring books and puppies to help students deal with the "trauma" of Trump's election.

Here's the big issue I have with all of this anti-pc stuff.

If I say something and someone tells me it's offensive. It hurts this group, it marginalizes them, or even it just hurts them personally. You know what I do? I stop, because I don't want to offend or piss people off. Why would I?

For example I grew up in a small hick town in the 90s, saying things were so god or that was retarded was phrases that everybody said. I don't say them know, because I know they offend people. What would be the purpose, unless you want to offend those people?

Even personally, some people care about which version of their name you use (Pete or Peter, or whatever). If that person told you, you know I prefer this version and I don't like the other. You would obviously use the version their prefer. Why wouldn't you?

So if you want to make racist, misogynist or sexual assault jokes you are free to. Just know you are pissing people off and upsetting others. Why would you want to do that?

This is fine as a general principle. The problem is when offense is defined so broadly as to encompass any contrary viewpoint. Right now, college campuses are literally providing coloring books and puppies to help students deal with the "trauma" of Trump's election.

Evidence please.

Are we happy with that?

Joey got fired from Beyond and Chikara because he showed himself to be a misogynist jerk. Chikara made that really clear with their letter, they do not condone that.

A LOT of people have made "grab them by the pussy" jokes since that tape came out. Like, pretty much every comedian in the US. Are they all misogynist for making a joke about that situation? The joke is already ultra played out, which means that pretty much everyone immediately made their own joke about it, generally all being pretty similar because there are only 2-3 jokes that can come from such a thing. Is making a joke about what Trump said ever not misogynist?

There's a big difference between making that joke before the Trump tape and after.

A LOT of people have made "grab them by the pussy" jokes since that tape came out. Like, pretty much every comedian in the US. Are they all misogynist for making a joke about that situation? The joke is already ultra played out, which means that pretty much everyone immediately made their own joke about it, generally all being pretty similar because there are only 2-3 jokes that can come from such a thing. Is making a joke about what Trump said ever not misogynist?

Contest of the joke matters. It's not that people made that joke, it's how it's done.

Joey's joke was "this girl is pretty, she is so pretty she'd probably be sexually assaulted." That's disgusting. I don't know the other jokes and their context.

Wow, what a shitty biased article.

So yeah they didn't give people puppies, they held events where there were puppies.

What is wrong with school's doing some things to help people deal? If you are a women, LGBT, a mexican, or a muslim in America right now it is pretty fair that you'd be freaked out right now. If school's want to do something to help those people, what is the issue?

People are acting like this was a normal election with a normal presidential winner and everybody is just over reacting because their side loss.

There's a big difference between making that joke before the Trump tape and after.

Yes, it's possible. You can target the joke to ridicule Trump, people with that attitude, use it as a non-sequitor, etc.. Depending on if it's in a comedy act and the comedians style, it can be done with irony. Some people's schtick is that they are buffoons, morons, backwards, crazy, off the wall, offend everybody, etc. Styles' schtick isn't any of those. And again, the context and punch to the whole thing was "hey, she looks so good the President would go right up and sexually assault her by grabbing her pussy" ...omg! the extreme factor! now Imma awkwardly segue-way into calling Hathaway a pussy.

Wow, what a shitty biased article.

So yeah they didn't give people puppies, they held events where there were puppies.

What is wrong with school's doing some things to help people deal? If you are a women, LGBT, a mexican, or a muslim in America right now it is pretty fair that you'd be freaked out right now. If school's want to do something to help those people, what is the issue?

People are acting like this was a normal election with a normal presidential winner and everybody is just over reacting because their side loss.

Oh, come on. An election result, even one involving someone as horrific as Trump, is not a traumatic event on par with being sexually assaulted or serving in combat. If it's having that kind of impact on you, you need to seek professional help and not expect the world to accommodate your neuroses.

Oh, come on. An election result, even one involving someone as horrific as Trump, is not a traumatic event on par with being sexually assaulted or serving in combat. If it's having that kind of impact on you, you need to seek professional help and not expect the world to accommodate your neuroses.

Yep, being told your own country hates you is no reason to feel impacted at all.

QlKmV.gif

I suspect the reaction of a huge majority of people after learning that universities gave students the day off, staged "cry ins", had trauma counselling sessions and other such complete fucking ridiculousness.

I mean bloody hell. Talk about the blitz spirit. Bit of grit and determination you milksop pansies. Literally stop being pussies.

Yep, being told your own country hates you is no reason to feel impacted at all.

So vote, and go out and get people like-minded with you to vote. This election had fewer votes than 2008 and 2012, and Trump received fewer votes than Romney. It also had two of the most disliked candidates of all-time. If people thought more outside their bubble and their echochambers, I think they'd realize that 'your country hates you' is an exaggeration of what happened with voters. Hopefully Trump isn't so temperamentally unfit or ideologically loony that he drives the country off a cliff in the next 4 years. In the meantime, everyone so unhappy should out and get involved in organizations that will advocate for the things they want to change. It's understandable for people to be emotional for some length of time, but they've got to move beyond that.

I've tried to stay off social media since the election, but spent more time on it today. It seems like lots of people haven't moved past that stage and don't want to face reality. I'm left-leaning and I think there's a lot to be hopeful for after 2020, or maybe 2018, if we can keep everything from going to shit in the meantime.

So vote, and go out and get people like-minded with you to vote. This election had fewer votes than 2008 and 2012, and Trump received fewer votes than Romney. It also had two of the most disliked candidates of all-time. If people thought more outside their bubble and their echochambers, I think they'd realize that 'your country hates you' is an exaggeration of what happened with voters. Hopefully Trump isn't so temperamentally unfit or ideologically loony that he drives the country off a cliff in the next 4 years. In the meantime, everyone so unhappy should out and get involved in organizations that will advocate for the things they want to change. It's understandable for people to be emotional for some length of time, but they've got to move beyond that.

I've tried to stay off social media since the election, but spent more time on it today. It seems like lots of people haven't moved past that stage and don't want to face reality. I'm left-leaning and I think there's a lot to be hopeful for after 2020, or maybe 2018, if we can keep everything from going to shit in the meantime.

Getting people out to vote when your two choices are two of the most disliked candidates of all time is not an easy thing to accomplish.

Some people are seriously concerned because the historical parallels to 1930s Germany are pretty strong. I don't really think we're going to repeat history, but people who worry about their families being split up through deportation, who themselves worry about being deported, who worry that they are going to have to enter a Muslim registry or that their marriage will be invalidated by his Supreme Court appointee, thus affecting their healthcare, property and in some cases rights to their children, are right to be scared. He's made clear what he wants to do.