Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. Tully Blanchard (1983)

El Boricua

Excellent match that is a cool companion to the earlier Flair match as it’s another match with a wrestler most of us are already familiar with. It has a lot more schtick and brawling all over the place than in the Flair match. This isn’t as hard hitting but that Flair match was something else. Tully is at his sneaky over the top best stumbling and wobbling all over the place. An excellent Tully match and another terrific performance from this Colon guy we were always told sucked.

This was one of those Tully matches where he wanted to come in and be as much of a shitbox as possible before finally having to man up and throw some punches. He begged off, stooged, outright ran away, threw cheapshots, and generally acted like an annoying wee weasel. If that sounds like fun to you then you'll probably get a kick out of this. Thought Colon was pretty good again, especially in the way he'd go from merely threatening to punch Tully in the nose at the start of the match to actually punching him in the nose, and often at that, by the end. Tully will do that to a guy, I suppose. Some cool revenge spots on the floor as well, like Tully throwing Colon over the barricade into a group of fans and attacking him every time he tried to climb back over, leading to Colon picking Tully up and dropping him tailbone-first across the barricade later on. Finish isn't executed terribly well, but I liked the idea of it.

So I wanted to love this match, and if you read a blow by blow it might sound like you should, but I still liked it. The structure was odd as it was almost all shine for Colon with a few cutoffs of attempted heat from Tully, but never sustained. The finish was also terrible. Okay, all of that out of the way, you've got Colon and Tully doing loud, expressive things here which they both shine at. Tully's a disgusting, contemptible heel while Colon is a fiery babyface and easy to get behind. Just weighed down here by a really strange layout and a lot of stalling and dead time which didn't feel natural in the flow of a match. Still a fun watch.

**1/2

• 2 weeks later...

This was a really fun brawl. The brawling by the fence in particular was great. I also really liked the finish, even if it was a bit messy. ***3/4

This and Flair match has me really into seeing Colon against stronger workers - he really meshes well with them. I think Colon is known for being this bleeding brawler, but he seems to have another gear when he's in with the right guys.

• 2 months later...

Horrible commentary, though the line about Tully's hair showing the age of the match almost made up for it. Match goes all over ringside, but just isn't grabbing me due to how weirdly it was structured. "Fragrant" violation?? This commentary is just atrocious. Really weird and sloppy finish with a ref bump and a slip on a banana peel suplex reversal. Didn't do anything for me at all.

Rating: 3

• 9 months later...