Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon vs. Bruiser Brody (Chain Match) (Summer 1984)

El Boricua

I thought this was really good while it lasted. There was a lot of fire shown here and some great crowd heat too. Brody wrapping the chain around Colon's eyes looked brutal and Colon's punches were great throughout. I was a bit disappointed by the match length. I was really starting to get into it and then it ended quickly. I'd love to see a longer match with these two.

Bruiser Brody cuts a promo about how excited he is to be in Puerto Rico. Ugh. Do I really have to watch this? Brody refuses to put the chain on at first so Colon slams him and holds him down while two refs put the chain on Brody. At one point Colon stood on Brody’s hair to keep him down. Fun stuff actually. Colon stays in control choking Brody with the chain, punching, etc. They roll in and out of the ring with Brody trying to get away but the chain keeping them attached. Brody takes over by clotheslining Colon with the chain. Brody’s already bleeding. Brody eventually ends up wrapping the chain around Colon’s neck and eyes. They spill outside with Brody continuing to choke Colon. Colon fights back with punches and choking with the chain. More punching back and forth. Colon is a great puncher for sure. Colon ends up winning and the post match brawl with two people I don’t recognize has more heat than the entire match. Post match was actually really enjoyable with the crowd going nuts but the match itself was your typical Brody match. Utterly forgettable.

I've watched this twice now, because the first time I figured I overrated it based on how shockingly enjoyable I found Brody in it. There are Brody matches that I like and there are Brody performances that I like, but there's always a little bit of the "you know...for Brody" factor at play, like you're grading on a curve. This had a Brody performance, though, that I thought was legitimately good on any curve. Like, I don't think of Brody as much of a seller. Ever. He almost never manages to communicate vulnerability. He'll bump, but it's usually in half-arsed ways. I've seen a goodly amount of Brody matches where he staggers around with his arms out like he's trying not to fall backwards into a swimming pool and that'll be the extent of his efforts at selling opponents' offence. But this didn't really have any of that. From the very start it was as if he was flat out afraid of being chained to Colon, and I don't remember ever seeing Brody attempt to sell fear (and I think fear was the emotion he was actually going for, as opposed to it only looking like fear because he was rubbish at whatever else he was trying to convey). He bumped and didn't just pop back up straight after -- he actually stayed down and let Colon pepper him with chain-wrapped fists. And of course he bled, because he always bled. When he wasn't selling he imposed himself and threw out some pretty mean looking shit. At one point he wrapped the chain around Colon's eyes, he chucked Colon onto a table and beat on him with the chain, etc. Then Colon would come back and try to touch the four corners, and sure enough Brody would frantically try and stop him without ever guzzling him like I expected him to. The finish was a bit hokey, but that's about my only complaint. If you're not a fan of Brody then I doubt this'll convince you to do a deep dive reevaluation, but it might make you wish there was more of him wrestling like this.

I actually loved Brody promo before the match. If he was regularly doing that I can totally see why he was over everywhere. Nice start with brawling before the chain can be attached. Shine. Punches. Shots on the floor. Back to the ring. Colon chain shot running ropes for transition. Brody wrapping the chain around Colon's neck and face! Stiff chain shots outside. Choking. Carlos selling the choking and struggle. Back to the ring. Crowd is into it but those are really weak transitions, which is a thought that came to mind more often than usual on this disc. No idea why that would be commonplace from the territory. Lot of stalling and dead time as they build and work the finish. Post-match is very heated with Brody & another heel jumping Colon's second until Carlos makes the save. More blood & violence, less stalling!

**1/2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a fan of bullshit finishes for chain matches. That being said, Hugo Savinovich took that kick from Brody like a freakin champ. The match itself was good. broday actually sold and made Colon look good, probably because he's the boss, but who cares? Colon can carry lesser workers than Brody to good matches and a motivated Brody makes this a pretty good match.