Pro Wrestling Only

Hercules Ayala vs. Killer Tim Brooks (Taped Fist Cage Match) (October 1985)

El Boricua

Ayala really looks like Dr Death’s older, disappointing brother while Tim Brooks really does look like he’s probably killed and eaten at least one family at some point. This starts with them taking turns punching and kicking each other back and forth. Ok this is basically just them taking turns punching and kicking each other back and forth. Really nondescript and forgettable sort of match.

If you squint real hard while watching this it kind of looks like early career Steve Williams (note: elliot clearly beat me to this, but I'm tickled I'm not the only one who saw it) v late career Steve Keirn, with Williams punching old, balding Keirn around a cage for ten minutes. I'm not sure how good Ayala actually is, but he threw some nice punches in this and if the Savage match was anything to go by he was probably a guy who was easy enough to work around (and that might even be doing him a disservice). Sure enough, Brooks mostly bumped around and stumbled back into range to be hit by Ayala's fists, and he did a fine enough job of it. There was one cool bit where he was curled up in the corner trying to block Ayala's jabs, so Ayala just hauled off and dug him in the ribs with an uppercut, which opened Brooks up for more of the face-punching. This is the fourteenth match on this disc. It's also the fourteenth match where someone got kicked in the balls.

Lots of punching, which makes sense with the taped fist gimmick. Still a huge fan of Ayala's motion and pacing. Some odd production and camera changes here that make you think they're editing the match even if that probably wasn't the case. Still those weak transitions! Looking forward to hopefully a lot more Ayala as I get deeper into the set.

**1/4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I really enjoyed the teases of the taped fists early. Finally Brooks gets some in. In makes perfect sense the early lock up. Both guys are getting the taped fist gimmick . It's a taped fist match. The gimmick dictates punches , and that's what we're getting. Hercules working the cut. Finally Brooks starts to eat the cage. 2/12*

• 4 months later...