Pro Wrestling Only

Carlos Colon & The Invader vs. Los Pastores (Ambulance Match) (12/21/85)

El Boricua

This starts with all 4 guys in the ring just beating the shit out of each other. Rolling around on the mat and slugging each other in the face. Great start. This feels like it has more energy than the earlier barbed wire match right from the start. Both teams take turns beating the crap out of each other. This is a really just a wild brawl that is reminiscent of the best Moondogs vs Fabs matches from Memphis with one of the Pastores (I think Luke Williams) getting absolutely destroyed and the match getting stopped while Colon & Invader continue to beat on him. This was terrific while it lasted. Really great spectacle. The scene where they’re shoving the Sheepherder in the ambulance with all the fans standing around is really crazy.

This was completely nuts and everything I hoped wild and out of control Puerto Rico would be. I don't fully know what was going on here, honestly. It started out with all four brawling in and around the ring, and that part was great and the crowd were alllll the way into it. Butch got thrown into a table over by the ring barricade and one of the fans literally started throwing overhands at him! Like, physically striking him! It was crazy. A cop ran over and threatened the fan with a baton and I was like "we have well and truly arrived in the Puerto Rico, motherfucker." Then at some point someone else at ringside - presumably a wrestler this time - got a hold of a big glove and started beating Luke Williams half to death. Then so did Colon and Invader and probably a few other folk. Williams sold this by writhing around on the mat like his appendix had exploded and spent the rest of the match lying there while people punched and stomped on him. The crowd was going ballistic through all of this and were pushing so far up against the barricade I thought it would collapse. This was like T in the Park with everyone on ecstasy crawling over each other to get to the front and see Calvin Harris (or some other bawbag). I have no idea where Butch Miller disappeared to during all of this but the whole back half of the match was just a total shitkicking directed at Luke. I think the ref' actually threw the match out, but Colon didn't care and just kept going. Anybody else and you could even buy the crowd turning on them because they went TOO far. The ending with Williams being carted into an ambulance as scores of fans tried to climb into and then on top of the ambulance as it drove away was fucking insane and, no hyperbole, one of the most memorable things I've ever seen in wrestling. Just an amazing, bonkers spectacle.

Full speed brawl with all four punching away right from the start. Really odd with the play by play seemingly being called over the stadium loudspeakers. Weapon shots to Invader. Colon dumped over the top but he returns to save Invader from a 2 on 1. This feels like an ECW style brawl in a packed stadium. More good blood. Loved the cameraman climbing the turnbuckles to film from above as they brawl at ringside! Manager or cornerman for Colon & Invader throwing heart punches at one of the Sheepherders and he's damn near dead in the ring. Perhaps Ayala as the second? Prepping a stretcher for the Pastores as Colon & Invader are given the win and he'll be carried out in an ambulance. Hot, quick brawl. Fun while it lasted.

***1/4

• 2 weeks later...

THIS is what I was imagining from the Sheepherders. Heated, intense brawl. One dude has a coal miner’s glove. I like that this stipulation is basically just beating the shit out of a guy until they can’t move - nothing cutesy at all. ***1/2

Going to get more verbose with these comments for Disc 2, since we have the threads up. (Watched Disc 1 a while ago.)

• 1 year later...

I liked this a lot. Really good brawl with easily the wildest scene I've ever witnessed following the match. The fans attacking Butch while he was on the table was pretty nuts. Colon and Invader go way, way, way, way, way...I think you get the idea...too far in attacking Luke on his way out. How they actually got the ambulance out of there without hurting anyone I don't know.