Pro Wrestling Only

Guilty Pleasures

Strummer

Everyone at one time or another has liked angles or matches that probably aren't technically good but have some sort of sick appeal. So what matches and angles are guilty pleasures for you?

For me:

Matches:

Jake Roberts v Rick Martel Blindfold Match from WM 7. I could watch this match over and over again for some reason. Martel dropping the elbow on the bare mat is still one of the funniest visuals I've ever seen in wrestling.

Hogan/Beefcake v Savage/ Zeus from Summerslam 89. Don't know why but this is a really fun match with incredible heat. Helps that Schiavone and Jesse are great on commentary during the match especially Jesse's misogynistic rant against Elizabeth.

AWA Team Challenge Series from 1990. Just the absurdity of the gimmick appealed to me.

Doomsday Cage Match at Uncensored 96.

Undertaker v Yokozuna Casket Match Royal Rumble 1994

Chris Jericho/Nick Patrick from WW3 1996.

Angles:

Big Bossman/Bobby Heenan feud over Heenan making fun of Bossman's mother in 1991.

Shawn Michaels/Rick Martel feud over Sherri from 1992 WWF.

Trish Stratus/Stephanie McMahon feud from 2001.

Tyler Fullington/Raven angle from ECW in 1996.

Dungeon of Doom v Horseman from WCW in 1996.

The current Boogeyman storyline

Guest Spaceman Spiff

WCW's "Raven Goes Home" skits with Kanyon, Sandman, Chastity.

No idea where it was going, and I doubt WCW even knew where it was going, but I enjoyed the hell out of them.

Guest Dangerous A

Speaking of Kanyon, I loved Positively Kanyon where he would "Kanyon-cut" anyone at the drop of a hat and do that ridiculous diamond cutter sign. Hilarious.

Speaking of Kanyon, I loved Positively Kanyon where he would "Kanyon-cut" anyone at the drop of a hat and do that ridiculous diamond cutter sign. Hilarious.

Me too.

I think one time if I remember correctly they were doing a long shot of the arena and in the bottom part of the screen you can see Kanyon diamond cutting some poor innocent bystander. I remember marking out for that as if there was no tommorrow.

Me too.

I think one time if I remember correctly they were doing a long shot of the arena and in the bottom part of the screen you can see Kanyon diamond cutting some poor innocent bystander. I remember marking out for that as if there was no tommorrow.

That did happen. Someone even posted the clip on TSM once upon a time.

Guest Some Guy

Tell me one thing cooler than the one-armed Jackhammer that he would always give Glacier or the sloppy spear that nearly tore La Parka's legs off at the knees.

Guest DylanWaco

I totally agree with Taker/Yoko 94 Rumble. For some reason the ridiculousness of the entire heel roster trying to pile on Taker actually seemed appropriate and awesome in that instance. Maybe the only time something like that didn't make me want to break my tv.

I really like the Heyman/Cornette match from GAB 89. For some reason the bitchiness of it actually makes it alot more fun than half the shit that is considered "good" nowadays.

I've written extensively about this before but there is a match from ECW TV back in 96 that perfectly captures the essence of the promotion. In one sense it's probably the single best ECW match ever because of it, but on the other hand the match is totally "terrible" from a conventional standpoint as it features huge breakdowns in logic, embarrasing offensive sequences and some of the worst "weapon" usage in wrestling history. The match in question features The Bruise Brothers and Raven up against Douglas, Dreamer and Sandman. If anyone remembers that match as fondly as I do I'd be stunned, but I've probably watched that match more than any other match I own on tape or dvd with the possible exception of Funk/Flair GAB 89.

I'm still a big fan of Triple H. The thing I dislike most about him is his name. I'd prefer if he just went by Hunter or something. Since becoming the Ric Flair rip-off, I've liked him the most. He's a dominant heel and I like his ring work. People can complain about his backstage politics and his burying of people and all that, however on-screen, to me, he's entertaining.

I still mark out pretty hard for Raven. He was my favorite active wrestler back when he was in WCW and running the Flock. He's also the reason I went out of my way to start watching ECW.

Kevin Nash on commentary is gold.

I like watching Jim Cornette fall from a scaffold and blow out both of his knees. Crazy bastard.

I already said the Dudleys on page one but the reason is because of the Dudley Death Drop. To this day I think it's the best tag team finisher of all-time. Also, I'd put the Dudleys only behind the Freebirds as my favorite tag team ever.

I liked The Cat in WCW threatening to go to his car to get his karate gi so he could "whoop everybody in here." Then, after commercial break, it showed the Cat at his car getting his gi.

I like Scott Norton. Especially when The Cat called him out so Norton had to bust some blood vessels on his chest.

Bob Backlunds heel run. I still mark for the Crossface Chickenwing as a finisher.

Guest DylanWaco

Basically Backlund snapped after losing a competitive match cleanly to Bret on Superstars. The best part was post match when he locked on the cross faced chicken wing and then stared at his hands with this demented look on his face

Guest DylanWaco

Another thing.

It's really important to remember that the mere notion of Backlund turning heel was so absurd that no one in the world could have seen it coming. That's really what made the angle so great. Backlund turning heel was just so far out of the realm of possibility that it was the ultimate "WTF?!" moment.

Another thing.

It's really important to remember that the mere notion of Backlund turning heel was so absurd that no one in the world could have seen it coming. That's really what made the angle so great. Backlund turning heel was just so far out of the realm of possibility that it was the ultimate "WTF?!" moment.

He was also over 40 in an era where WWF was pushing hard that newer was better, had no entrance music, and his entrance video was just Arnold Skaaland throwing in the towel back in '83 over and over and over and over. He was completely consumed by it. The post-match celebration is glorious, and I really thought the way that title change played out was so brilliant.