Pro Wrestling Only

RVD & Sabu arrested for drug possession

Loss

From F4W:

RVD, Sabu stopped on drug possession charges     

Monday, 03 July 2006

By Bryan Alvarez

[email protected]

We can confirm the report in the Ironton Tribune this morning that Robert Alex Szatowski and Terry Michael Brunk, AKA Rob Van Dam and Sabu, were pulled over last night on drug charges.

Szatowski was initially stopped for speeding, and when officers approached the vehicle they smelled marijuana and performed a search. RVD was found with 18 grams of marijuana and five Vicodin, and Brunk was found with drug paraphernalia and "nine pills that were not immediately identifiable, but were known to be controlled substances". A court date is set for Thursday.

It will be interesting to see how WWE handles this situation. The current WWE Wellness Policy states that such an arrest allows for immediatate dismissal from the company. Both guys are top stars for the new ECW brand, and Van Dam currently holds both the WWE and ECW belts. The policy explicitly states, "Any Talent who is arrested, convicted or who admits to a violation of law relating to use, possession, purchase, sale or distribution of prohibited drugs will be in material breach of contract and subject to immediate dismissal."

The world champion was arrested for drug possession. Wow.

That will certainly raise some eyebrows in the back.

I'd hate to be RVD when Vince finds him today. Not because of pot being this dangerous drug or anything, but because Vince is relying on him to launch a brand new hour of television in primetime and is planning on giving him the ball and making him his top star. Then, he almost immediately embarrasses the company he works for and gets arrested by violating a company policy that has gotten massive media attention lately.

If RVD is not fired from this, there is a definite double standard.

Guest savagerulz

If RVD is not fired from this, there is a definite double standard.

I'm not aware weed is on the list of things they're testing for. Last I'd heard it was conspicuous by its absence. B)

Guest savagerulz

I doubt Vince gives a damn whether RVD smokes pot or not, the problem is that he got caught and it got media attention. That embarrasses the WWE especially with the drugs policy being such a public thing since Eddie's death.

They're backed into a corner where Vince either hurts himself in losing an important star right now, or looks like an idiot and makes a mockery of the whole drugs policy which they pushed so hard into the public spotlight.

Am I the only one who heard Biz Markie saying "OH SNAP~!" while reading that?

I wonder if RVD would have any leverage since pot use has been a part of his gimmick since ECW and was still part of it in WWE in an albeit wink-wink way.

Guest Cam Chaos

Which is ironic since Vince's coke habit is an open secret in the WWE inner circle.

No shit. You don't end up with nostrils like that from genetics. Incidentally RVD couldn't have been that stoned if he was at the time of arrest, no way any stoner is going to break 35 without getting really paranoid about their driving skills.

Guest Big Papi

They're not testing for it, but the wellness policy says that a drug possession arrest will result in immediate dismissal from the company.

I thought the wording was it could lead to dismissal.

Either way RVD fucked up large.

I guess ECW is dead in the water (presumably no RVD or Sabu and Angle is gone.).

I like how there are posters at TSM and DVDVR who are saying that Sabu did this on purpose to get fired so he can work the ROH show coming up and go back to TNA. Yes I'm sure that was his plan from the start. This is one of those times I feel like pulling my hair out when reading wrestling message boards.

I doubt Vince gives a damn whether RVD smokes pot or not, the problem is that he got caught and it got media attention. That embarrasses the WWE especially with the drugs policy being such a public thing since Eddie's death.

They're backed into a corner where Vince either hurts himself in losing an important star right now, or looks like an idiot and makes a mockery of the whole drugs policy which they pushed so hard into the public spotlight.

What media attention? Sure a local newspaper picked the story up, but it hasn't gone any further than that yet. I'm sure Vince is angry and annoyed at RVD and Sabu for getting arrested, but it's wrong to say he's backed into a corner when the mainstream media doesn't care that wrestlers get arrested for possessing pot and even if they were wouldn't be bothered to read up about WWE's official drugs policy.

They're not testing for it, but the wellness policy says that a drug possession arrest will result in immediate dismissal from the company.

I thought the wording was it could lead to dismissal.

Yup, you're right, Papi.

tr.v. sub?ject?ed, sub?ject?ing, sub?jects (sb-jkt)

To submit for consideration.

To submit to the authority of.

To expose to something: patients subjected to infection.

To cause to experience: subjected to extreme weather.

To subjugate; subdue.

Sounds to me that the policy of an arrest states the possibility of dismissal, not the definite case of dismissal. In which case, Dave may have hit the nail on the head with the eventual outcome.

Either way, I think they were working those in the know last night with the title change, at least for now. We'll see.

I'm still betting on Sabu getting suspended at best, or fired at worst, and RVD getting jobbed out (which he already did last night) and then suspended for a while until this thing blows over...or a "firing" where all parties agree that he can come back after things calm down. This has been done in the past, and I bet that's the way they handle it this time.

Although, the two X factors are that ECW probably needs those guys, and that Johnny Ace is a big moron...so who knows how those factors will play into how this all works out.