Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
sek69

MLW Fusion, anyone watching it?

No spoilers, but I found the show in Philly kind of underwhelming. It might cut up okay into TV episodes, but the Battle Riot was a real mess with not a lot of flow, and a lot of the undercard was good but lacked a bit in heat. Part of this is that there was stuff that will clearly be there in pre-tapes on TV that we weren't privy to - for example, Holliday was selling an injury that will almost certainly be explained in a segment. Show ran pretty long, too, ending up close to 5 hours from bell time to finish.

In part I was there to go to the ECW Arena for the first time, and I have to say, they have done such an amazing job of renovating that place, which is good and bad - good because it's a really nice place to see a show, bad because it's a little hard to connect it in your mind to the place it was when ECW was running it.

Having just watched the Battle Riot, I can definitely see why anyone would see it as a bit of a mess at times, but I think by sheer force of the amount of 'stuff' going on, and the hard work of the guys involved I found it enjoyable, and ultimately it got to the end point they had been building to with the story line going in.

It suffered from the through line of having no eliminations early. This differentiated it from recent Royal Rumbles, when people seem to come in for 2 mins, run through their moves and then get eliminated, but ultimately, there was just too many guys in there at times. There also wasn't a lot of heat early on, but as the match progressed the crowd got into it, and it felt (you never can tell how much has been 'sweetened' in non live shows) like they were really into the winner, so again job done.

I feel like I'm often the big MLW defender here, and while I can often see, and acknowledge the criticisms others have, for whatever reason, it just seems to grab me. Some of the new names they introduced should help give what was previously a very small roster a shot in the arm with some potentially interesting programs coming out of the match, although given Migs feedback above from being there, maybe I'll try not to get too carried away!

The most interesting point to me from the match, was how in the end it centered around a story line rather than just coming down to 'cool wrestler A vs cool wrestler B' to get a "this is awesome chant". Now whether that story line is a compelling one to you, that of course is open to debate, but to me, I appreciate that they had set up a story for the match going in and paid it off rather than worrying about a 'swerve' or surprise ending.     

15 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

I would assume that Hammerstone won Battle Riot?

He did & physically, he looks bigger than ever. Or as Meng's Mullet so eloquently put it on Twitter:

2 hours ago, TonyPulis'Cap said:

Having just watched the Battle Riot, I can definitely see why anyone would see it as a bit of a mess at times, but I think by sheer force of the amount of 'stuff' going on, and the hard work of the guys involved I found it enjoyable, and ultimately it got to the end point they had been building to with the story line going in.

It suffered from the through line of having no eliminations early. This differentiated it from recent Royal Rumbles, when people seem to come in for 2 mins, run through their moves and then get eliminated, but ultimately, there was just too many guys in there at times. There also wasn't a lot of heat early on, but as the match progressed the crowd got into it, and it felt (you never can tell how much has been 'sweetened' in non live shows) like they were really into the winner, so again job done.

I feel like I'm often the big MLW defender here, and while I can often see, and acknowledge the criticisms others have, for whatever reason, it just seems to grab me. Some of the new names they introduced should help give what was previously a very small roster a shot in the arm with some potentially interesting programs coming out of the match, although given Migs feedback above from being there, maybe I'll try not to get too carried away!

The most interesting point to me from the match, was how in the end it centered around a story line rather than just coming down to 'cool wrestler A vs cool wrestler B' to get a "this is awesome chant". Now whether that story line is a compelling one to you, that of course is open to debate, but to me, I appreciate that they had set up a story for the match going in and paid it off rather than worrying about a 'swerve' or surprise ending.     

Agreed that I'm glad they just went with putting over the guy they wanted to put over, triumphing over the flunkies of the guy he's set up to face. Sometimes it doesn't need to be too complicated, especially since Hammerstone was the obvious winner. I haven't seen the TV version yet, and MLW obviously sweetens, but Hammerstone was definitely over as the winner.

I'm curious to see how some of this stuff plays on TV - Battle Riot was the main event of the show, so maybe the set ups will improve the undercard in retrospect.