Pro Wrestling Only

Great American Bash 86

spaldoni

Thank you guys for the great feedback. I really enjoyed building up and writing this card. I wanted to make it a big deal as a mid year supercard. The build to Starrcade will be a lot of fun. 

Normally I wouldn't do this many run ins and interference on one show. I felt Bad News Brown would be perfect in the angle with Bundy and there will be a fun follow up to this. As for Bull Gantner. Lowblow built him up and utilized him well in WWF, so I wanted to carry that momentum over. I figured  getting a rub from Dusty against the Awesome Twosome would be a good way to get him over with the Mid Atlantic fans. But don't worry, I have huge plans for the Awesome Twosome. I wanted to have Snuka really shine in his match with Crews before the run in. Haku's interference continues their unfinished business. As for the World Title Match, I wanted Nikita to look really strong but didn't want to bury Idol to bad. Idol will bounce back and continue his feud with Fuller. 

What an epic event....from top to bottom it was a tremendous card...it's been thoroughly reviewed but let me share my favorite moments: Rocky Johnson/Wendell Cooley felt like a odd pairing at first but man it's really worked and I could totally see them getting over here the way they've been booked, excellent work.

I love it when I don't see something coming and Bad News showing up and taking the money came out of left field and I absolutely love it, it's perfect for this scenario.

Great match with Orndorff/Race, coming off his incredible run in the AWA and now getting the better of the veteran Race, Orndorff has to be in serious contention for the World Championship.

Good stuff with Hansen/Rhodes...the Awesome Twosome run in was needed to continue the big angle with Rhodes/Dibiase elsewhere....I get Kevin's concerns over Bull making the save but since you spelled his name right, GantNer...I think it works, lol.

The World title match come off well, Nikita retains but Idol stays strong and continues his angle.

Dibiase/Duggan on top works with the cage stip....classic feud and one of the best going in the NWA right now!

As mentioned, you set a very high bar for Bash shows....I can only hope WCCW's can even half way live up to this!

12 hours ago, kevinmcfl said:

Great booking here

• Love how the crowd gets what they want in the opener and I hope that Cooley continues to get a big shot here in MACW.  He is one of those underrated Southern promotion guys that you use so well.
  • I figured Oliver 's who to break ship with Paul Jones but never thought Mulligan was going to come out.  This is a perfect fit for him and again this is a name that was big time in the NWA in the none of us have done much with.  Now we can see him in a nive feud with Oliver.  Big surprises are the key to a major show as some angles are ending while others just start.  GREAT SHOCKER!
  • Again, nice booking in third match.  A major brawl where St. Clair uses the chair for the DQ.  Even though the heels get the win, the crowd is excited to see a chair shot by the babyface.
  • I am writing this review after I read each match and I forgot something up top about a major show.  Sometimes angels continue.... hence Wildfire and Dr. Tom plus the fans get what they really want... to see Riddle knocked into next week.
  • The Caspian Empire + Kernodle do a great job of playing the anti-American heels as they dominate on tv to make them look strong but loose the big ones!
  • And another segment starts:  KKB vs Bad News Brown.  He is perfect here as it is truly believeable that he would just walk out with the money and that it is going to take one hell of a man to come and get it from him
  • Nice use of the AWA here.  This talent sharing was kind of what USA Wrestling tried to do to combat the WWF in the 80's but the egos were too strong and know we are left with what we have today.  To bad we were not in charge then.
  • Nice brawl with Dusty and Hansen.  Like that the Awesome Twosome comes out and takes care of business as I have high hopes for them.  Not sure I like a WWF midcarder with little national fame, Bull Ganter, can chase Rude and Fernandez from the ring.
  • Race and Orndorff doesn't disappoint.  It must have taking some serious guts in the locker room when you had to tell Harley that he was doing the job but Orndorff is over like crazy now!
  • I figured Haku was going to get involved somewhere and this was a nice place.  A Haku-Snuka war doesn't need a belt to sell.  That one would be great all by itself.  Art Crews kind of needs a championship to get help him get over.  As a member of the NWA, not sure though that he deserves a title as important as the national title.  That kind of makes Art Crews the #2 man in the NWA.
  • Nikita taken to the limit by Idol is what the fans would have wanted to see!  Nice showcase here.  Is Fuller siding with the Russians or just so anti Idol?  We will just have to wait and see.
  • Dibiase vs Hacksaw might be the best feud that the entire NWA could put on and it go on and on and on each and every night!  Great way to end your Great American Bash!  The NWA is on fire and this card just proved it.

That's the part I'll disagree with (since I'm the one who made the call to put the National title on Art Crews). In my totem pole, at least how I view it, the US title was the #2 title. I even considered the TV title to be more important than the National title. So, I don't think this is that big a deal to me to have him the National Heavyweight Champion. My goal was to pull a major swerve and get people talking. Obviously, it worked so I'm pretty pleased about it. :)

Z1oajlY.jpg?2

LOUISIANA SUPERDOME

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

JULY 4, 1986

(Posted here as well as the UWF thread)

Welcome everyone to the Great American Bash from the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.  I am Jim Ross along with my partner Cowboy Bill Watts and this is the one we have all been waiting for.    

Bill Watts:  That’s right Jim.  This wrestling spectacular has it all.  Title matches, grudge matches, a Loser Leave Town Match and the big one, the NWA World Title Match between Nikita Koloff and Magnum T.A.

Jim Ross:  We have such a busy night with 9 huge matches so let’s get to the ring.

Loser Leave Town Match:  Exotic Adrian Street & Adorable Adrian Adonis with Miss Linda vs Cowboy Ron Bass & Black Bart

A big part of the spectacle of this match was the entrance of both teams.  The Exotic Ones strutted out with Miss. Linda spraying the perfume all over the place while the Long Riders came out in their cowboy gear but they were also dragging a big vat of pig slop!  From the very beginning we knew this was going to be a wild one.  After a few wild momentum changes we see Adorable Adrian Adonis catch Black Bart in the Sleeper and it looks like the end for the cowboys but Ron Bass makes the save and we go Bonzo Gonzo for a few minutes.  This is where the ref lost control and Ron Bass clobbered Street with the branding iron for the 1…2…3.  

As Adonis goes over to see how Exotic Adrian Street is doing.

WHAM!

Adonis clobbers Street with a huge right hand and then slaps on the Good Night Irene.  When Street is completely out, Adonis drags the Exotic One out of the ring and dumps him in the big vat of pig slop.  He then turns to Miss. Linda and proceeds to dump her right on top of Street.  As the Long Riders are having a good laugh at all of this the microphone picks up Adrian Adonis’ comments.

Adrian Adonis:  If I have to listen to Exotic Adrian say that imitation is the biggest form of flattery one more time, he is going back to England in something much worse than pig slop.  I am nothing like him… I don’t lose.

Jim Ross:  Well, I must admit that I will miss seeing the show of Exotic Adrian Street and Adorable Adonis but it looks like their time as a tag team has ended just like their stint in the UWF. 

Honky Tonk Man vs Kendall Windham

The crowd is furious from the get go Honky Tonk Man is coming to the ring hollering about how once again, Jerry Lawler is a cowardly no-show.  Kendall gives it his all but Honky Tonk is firing every dirty trick he knows.  After about the third blatant smash with a foreign object, HTM caught Windham with the Shake Rattle & Roll for the win.  HTM rushes out of the ring and gets his guitar and comes back after Windham.  It looks like HTM is about to crack Windham like he had done just a few weeks ago.

All of a sudden, the crowd explodes as Jerry Lawler rushes to the ring.

Jim Ross:  Aw bah Gawd… It’s Jerry “the King” Lawler.  Folks business is about to pick up.  Lawler is about to get even for everything HTM said over the past month.

Lawler comes up from behind HTM and rips the guitar out of his hand.  HTM  acts like he has seen a ghost and back peddles to the corner. Lawler follows him and winds up with the guitar!

CRACK!

Lawler slams the guitar into HTM’s head and it breaks into a thousand pieces.  The crowd explodes as Lawler simply turns around and walks out of the Superdome.

Dick Murdoch with Ron Wright vs Junkyard Dog

A match where we see two old tag team partners showing some real hatred for one another. At the root of the problem is  Ron Wright who has brought his brand of evil to the UWF where he is spewing nonsense about the Unchristians being at the root of wrestling’s evil.  Murdoch has bought into this while JYD just sees this as being pure hatred to anyone who is not like Ron Wright.  The Dog had enough of Murdoch and Wright’s feelings of superiority and has returned from Texas to help the Armstrong’s in their battle against Wright’s Army.

Revenge was hard-coming in this one as Murdoch is like a bull in a china closet but JYD has no fear of mixing it up.  As Jim Ross said, this one was a real slobberknocker that saw JYD survive a good ol’ fashion beating to somehow connect with his Big Thump for the win.  Both men left this one a bloody mess and you can tell that the war between Wright’s men and the do-gooders of the UWF is far from over.

Leather Strap Match:  Ron Fuller “The Tennessee Stud” with Ron Wright vs “The Bullet” Bob Armstrong

The rules are simple and few here is this one.  Fuller and Armstrong are tied together by a leather strap and to win you have to drag your opponent to all 4 corners of the ring.  Stud and Armstrong just beat the heck out of each other in this one and to the delight of the crowd, the Bullet seems to be getting the best of the Stud until all of a sudden the Long Riders appear and enter the ring and really go to town on Armstrong.  In fact, at one point they tossed him over the top rope and were literally hanging the Bullet by the leather strap.  The ref was powerless here in this no DQ match.  Once they dragged Armstrong back into the ring, it was easy pickens for the Stud as he simply dragged him around to the 4 corners and claimed victory.  After the match, the Stud embraced the Long Riders (Bass & Bart) as Jim Ross wonders what devilish deeds Ron Wright has just done now!

UWF Southern Title Match:  Lex Luger with Baby Doll vs “Hot Stuff” Eddie Gilbert with Missy Hyatt with Tommy Rich as the Special Guest Referee

This is the battle of opposites here.  Gilbert is sneaky but has some wrestling skill while Luger is full speed ahead with pure power.  Baby Doll does a nice job of neutralizing Missy as she does not dare get involved or suffer the wrath of the one some have called Andrea the Giant.  Gilbert is having difficulty getting anything going, as any time he decides to use some dirty tactics, Tommy Rich puts him is his place.

Jim Ross:  Revenge is a dish better served cold.  Missy Hyatt and Eddie Gilbert’s dastardly deeds saw Hyatt clobbered Rich with a loaded purse causing Rich to lose a Loser-Leave Town Match to Gilbert at the Memorial Day Bash but it seems like Cowboy Bill Watts has turned the tide on Gilbert here tonight.  He has given Wildfire a one night referee license and if Gilbert doesn’t win, Missy Hyatt will be forced out of the UWF.

Eventually, Gilbert’s luck runs out as Luger catches him in the Torture Rack.  Missy decides that it is now or never and jumps up on the apron with the purse poised to hit Luger.  Baby Doll is in hot pursuit to protect her man!  Tommy Rich is able to intervene before Missy hits her target and he rips the purse from her hands.  Rich now has the bag and looks at everyone involved… and turns toward Luger and Baby Doll.

Jim Ross:  Oh no!  What has that jezebel Missy Hyatt done.  Has she used her Daddy’s money from his chain of hotels to pay off Tommy Rich?  Tommy Rich hands over the bag to …

WHAM!

Jim Ross:  Oh thank Gawd!  There is justice in the world.  Tommy Rich has given the loaded purse to Baby Doll as she has knocked Missy Hyatt into next week!

Wildfire now turns his attention back to Gilbert who is still stuck in the Torture Rack.  Gilbert begins to frantically wave his arms and he has no choice but to submit!

Jim Ross:  Lex Luger is still the UWF Southern Champion and Missy Hyatt has to take her loaded purse and loaded top out of the UWF.  I wonder what will Eddie Gilbert do? 

NWA National Tag Team Title Match:  Th Rock n Roll Express vs The Hollywood Blondes (Landell & Tatum) with Luscious Johnny Valiant

A match where everybody does their job well.  The Hollywood Blondes and Luscious Johnny bring some serious heat on their way to the ring as the antagonize each and every fan while the Rock n Roll Express get the fans dancing in the aisles as they pomp everyone up with their entrance.  Tatum does a nice job of playing the cowardly heel as Gibson does a nice job of not caring about Tatum’s feelings and really gives it to him.  Luscious Johnny is dastardly here and gives the Blondes the advantage and Landell shows he is the real talent of the Blondes.  Landell and Tatum use Morton for what he does best which is to play the face in peril.

Morton makes his comeback and tags in Gibson and we go bonzo-gonzo with all 4 men in the ring and the Rock n Roll Express connect with the double dropkick on Tatum and they successfully defend their title.  A script that has been done over and over again but the fans love it so we keep using it!

UWF CONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH: “Dirty” Dick Slater with Jim Cornette vs Terry Taylor

Cornette comes out riding on his high horse as he grabs the microphone to introduce his Continental Champ which really brings the heat down on Slater and makes Taylor even more popular then ever in a place where he is basically King.  Taylor starts quick but this one has a lot of momentum changes.  Slater is not only dirty but he is as tough as they come.  He was often willing to take a blow here to get in one of his own.  In the end, Slater seems to have Taylor right where he wants him as he connected with three left handed jabs and he hit the ropes for a clothesline!

Wham!

Terry Taylor ducked under the clothesline and hit the ropes himself connecting with a big flying forearm.  A quick pin and it was over.  Jim Cornette was in shock as it happened so quickly.  As Terry Taylor was handed the belt, Jim Ross was hyping up the fact that we had a new UWF Continental Champ.

UWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:  Brad Armstrong & Jeff Jarrett vs Doom vs the Midnight Express with Jim Cornette vs Devastation Inc. with Skandar Akbar

The rules here are simply.  Tag whoever you want and whichever team gains the victory by pin or submission is the new UWF Tag team champions.  It sounded simple enough but it became apparent early that no matter how much damage you inflicted on any of the teams, there was always someone ready to jump in a make the save.  The only way this was going to end was in a moment of chaos and chaos it was!  Ron Simmons had just hit a monster football tackle on Brad Armstrong but he knew that if he went for the cover, someone would just come in and break it up so instead he goes over to the Barbarian and starts mocking him. 

Dr. Death simply tags Ron Simmons and enters the ring as the new legal man.  Simmons stunned and with nothing else to do is now in an all-out brawl with the Barbarian.   Dr. Death rushes over and hits Jeff Jarrett with a huge shot to prevent him from making a save as he goes for the pin on Armstrong who is still hurt. 

Wham!

Beautiful Bobby Eaton breaks this one up with an Alabama Jammer to the back of Dr. Death’s head.  Now everyone just decides it is time to brawl and we got the chaos we needed to find a winner.  Bobby sees that both Dr. Death and Armstrong, the two legal men in the ring, are hurt so he decides to drag Armstrong over to his corner where Condrey reaches down and tags himself in.   

Condrey goes for the pin on Dr. Death…

Wham…

Reed comes off the top rope with a spear to the ribs and Condrey’s tag attempt has been broken up.

Wham…

Armstrong is back and hit a Russian Leg Sweep on the Reed.

Wham

Dr. Death has recovered enough and Press Slammed Armstrong right over the top rope but somehow, Jarrett was able to reach over and touch Dr. Death’s shoulder and become the legal man.  The only person who saw this was the referee as Dr. Death had no idea what had happened. 

Dr. Death goes over and covers Condrey who is still shaken up from Reed’s blow. 

Cornette jumps up on the apron waving the tennis racket to break up the pin and the ref falls for it and is over yelling at Cornette. 

1…2…3.

Jim Ross:  Wait a minute, Dr. Death has just pinned Condrey for the 3 count but the person who made the three count was …. Jeff Jarrett?  What is going on here?

Jarrett had just completely tricked Dr. Death and now Williams is jumping around the ring thinking he and the Barbarian are the new champs. 

As Condrey staggers to his feet thinking he had just been pinned…

Wham

An inverted Russian Leg Sweep by Jarrett on Condrey and now another cover!

1…2…3.

Jeff Jarrett has just pinned Dennis Condrey and Jarrett and Armstrong are the new UWF Tag Team Champions.

After the match is over, Devastation Inc. is the last team in the ring as Akbar is screaming at Dr. Death about how stupid could he be to be outsmarted by a kid!  After this goes on for a minute or two, Akbar pushes Williams.  Williams shows some restraint but you can tell his patience is wearing thin.

Smack!

Akbar smacks Dr. Death across the face!

Dr. Death cannot take it any longer and shoves Akbar to the ground!

The fans go wild but it is short lived as Haku rushed to the ring and now we have the brawl but the numbers game begins to get to Williams as it is the Barbarian and Haku in a 2-1 attack.  Rushing back out to the ring are Ron Simmons and Hacksaw Reed and they give it pretty good to Akbar’s crew.  In the end we see a handshake from Doom and Dr. Death as the crowd is loving this alliance of former football players! 

WORLD TITLE MATCH:  Nikita Koloff vs Magnum T.A.

This is the one everybody has been waiting for.  The two biggest names in the UWF go head to head for the belt.  Jim Ross notes that this task is going to be monumental for T.A. as Nikita is accompanied to the ring by Uncle Ivan.  In the first few minutes of the match, both wrestlers go for their finishers but do not connect as T.A. ducked under the Russian Sickle and Nikita grabbed the ropes on an Irish Whip by T.A. who was setting up the Belly to Belly.  Uncle Ivan gets involved with a trip and Nikita now gets a few minutes on top but he was never able to hit the big one.  With the crowd really behind him, T.A. makes the come back and gains the momentum.  After an atomic drop, Magnum connects with the Belly to Belly Suplex but before the ref can make the three count Ivan jumps up on the apron and the ref goes to warn him to get down. 

Jim Ross:  Ah bawh Gawd, what’s this?

As the ref was admonishing Ivan, the Russian Assassin rushed to the ring and climbed to the top rope and came flying off with a knee drop right to the back of T.A.’s head and then he dragged Nikita on top of Magnum.  The ref turned around just after the Assassin rolled out of the ring.  The ref was unsure what just happened but shrugged his shoulders and completed the three-count as Nikita defeated Magnum T.A. 

Nikita, Ivan and the Russian Assassin celebrate the win as T.A. gets to one knee and tries to clear the cobwebs from his head.  As the evil trio begins to make their way from the ring, T.A. reaches out with a swipe at the Assassin and actually rips off his mask. 

Jim Ross:  I can’t believe what I have just seen… the Russian Assassin is … Ole Anderson!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how you guys did it, but these shows actually manged to exceed my sky-high expectations. What an embarrassment of riches. I don't have time right now to lay out all the details, but all of the GAB cards in this project have been well-booked, well built, and superbly well executed. Hats off to everyone involved. 

THE GREAT AMERICAN BASH: NORTHERN INCIDENT

JULY 20TH, 1986

Palais des Sports, Sherbrooke, QC

-Gino Brito beat Bugsy McGraw in 9:32 with the Figure Four Leglock

-Tatsutoshi Goto (w/Paul E. Dangerously) beat Al Madril in 10:04 with the Backdrop Driver. Postmatch, Paul E. cut a lock of Madril's hair and gave it to Goto, teasing that Goto could be his representative on Friday night in the Hair vs Hair Match...

-Armand Rougeau beat Mike Davis in 11:02 with a missile dropkick

-Andre the Giant & Tom Prichard (w/Rock Riddle) beat the Killer Bees in 10:18 when Prichard pinned B. Brian Blair following an Andre double underhook suplex.

-King Kong Bundy beat Brian Adias in 16:26 with the Avalanche. Sunny War Cloud interfered after the match, only to get Avalanched himself by Bundy!!!

-Rick Martel & Satanico beat The Southern Ramblers in 12:30 after Martel pinned Rose following the Slingshot Splash

-Los Infernales beat Richard Charland & Frenchy Martin in 15:35 after Morgan pinned Charland following a Spike Piledriver. One has to wonder how much Charland is looking forward for his regular tag team partner King Tonga to return to Lutte these days!

NWA Canadian International TV Championship: "Maniac" Matt Borne beat "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin (w/Precious & Eric Embry) in 52:54 to retain after a miscue from Eric Embry with the TV title belt. Originally, around the 40-minute mark, Andre The Giant came to the ring to headbutt Borne outside the ring but referee Luigi Macera caught him and threw him out of the ringside area, leaving Garvin, Precious & Embry scrambling for a back-up plan. Embry is all apologetic after the match, realizing he was responsible for Garvin not fulfilling his promise of beating Matt Borne on his first attempt!

Glad to see Brito get a win.  Goto has really gotten a good build.  I wonder if Andre is an A-lister.  Armand looks strong here.  Bundy getting both Adias and War Cloud is a great bit of booking.  Here's hoping Martel keeps up his winning ways.  He's had a rough go of it lately.  Are we teasing a Charland turn on Frenchy?  I am hoping Embry has a plan to fix all of this.  So very much hoping.

It's great to see Tatsutoshi Goto doing so well overseas. He's a good wrestler and character who was stuck in a limited role in JWA. The change of scenery has done him a world of good.

Matt Borne is another guy who will maybe get more opportunities in this project that he got "in real life." I enjoyed seeing him in a big main event match here.

Yeah, I'm having a blast booking Matt Borne right now. I really wanted him to be the focus of my Bash event, thus why I didn't have Kernodle & the Samoans defend their titles.

I was hesitant about who between Floyd Creatchman and Paul E. Dangerously I was gonna put with the Blond Outlaws but I figured that Goto & Saito would be better suited with Paul E than Floyd. So far so good. :)

Another successful Bash tour stop. Having Brito get a win to open the show is a smart move. Goto seems more than qualified to represent Paul E. Really enjoyed the team of Andre and Prichard. The Killer Bees are solid opponents but fall short. Great spot with Bundy taking out 2 guys involved in a heated feud. Martel and Satanico/Ramblers match is a highlight for me. Los Infernales continue their win streak. Even though they haven't had much luck recently, I love the Charland/Frenchy team. Awesome main event. I wonder if this will cause a rift between Garvin and Embry? 

NWA/WCCW Great American Bash '86

Cotton Bowl

Dallas, TX

Tuesday July 22, 1986

Bell time: 7pm

WCCW Television Championship

"Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert w/Missy Hyatt pinned Brutus Beefcake when Rip Rogers distracted the referee allowing Missy Hyatt to hand off her "loaded purse" to Eddie who knocked out Beefcake with it.

The Mega Stars (Rod Price/John Tatum) w/Percival Pringle III & Ted Arcidi defeated Steve Doll/Steve Simpson when Price pinned Doll after a spike piledriver

20 Man Bunkhouse Stampede Battle Royal

$50,000 to the winner and a shot at the North American Championship

1. The Missing Link
  2. Big Bubba Ottman
  3. Abdullah the Butcher
  4. "Dr. D" David Shultz
  5. Sam Houston
  6. "Hustler" Rip Rogers
  7. Buddy "Jack" Roberts
  8. Steve Armstrong
  9. Tracy Smothers
  10. Scott Putski
  11. "Iceman" King Parsons
  12. "Maniac" Matt Borne
  13. Blackjack Mulligan
  14. Bugsy McGraw
  15. "Dirty" Dutch Mantel
  16. "Hangman" Bobby Jaggers
  17. Super Destroyer #1
  18. Super Destroyer #2
  19. Ted Arcidi
  20. Jimmy Jack Funk

**Highlights**

Abdullah eliminated Ottman

Borne/Shultz/Arcidi/Funk/Link ganged up on Abby and eliminated him

Mantel eliminated Jaggers but was then tossed out by Mulligan

Shultz tossed out Houston

McGraw eliminated Buddy Roberts

Southern Boys eliminated Arcidi

Putski eliminated Rip Rogers

Missing Link threw out Putski

Shultz eliminated Borne

Parsons eliminated Armstrong

Smothers eliminated Parsons

Mulligan eliminated Smothers

The Super D's eliminated Mulligan

Missing Link tossed Super D #2

Link was struggling with Super D #1 when Shultz came from behind and eliminated them both

WINNER: "Dr. D" David Shultz

Mr. Wrestling 2/Mr. Wrestling 3/Akira Maeda defeated Kendo Nagasaki/The Great Muta/Killer Khan w/Tojo Yamamoto when Maeda pinned Nagasaki after an enziguri

Mixed Tag Team Match

"Adorable" Adrian Adonis & Percival Pringle III defeated "Exotic" Adrian Street & Ms. Linda when Pringle pinned Street after Adonis sprayed him in the eyes with his perfume sprayer

Special Challenge Tag Team Match

Mr. Olympia/Andre the Giant defeated The Headhunters (Kamala/Botswana Beast) w/Gary Hart & Friday when Andre pinned Beast after a sit down splash

Non-Title: Winners get a shot at the World Tag Titles in the future

NWA National Tag Team Champions

Vs.

NWA North American Tag Team Champions

Bruiser Brody/Stan 'the Lariat' Hansen defeated The Rock & Roll Express (Ricky Morton/Robert Gibson) when Brody pinned Morton after a legdrop

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

WAR GAMES: The Match Beyond

5 on 5- Submission or Surrender once all 10 are in!

Kevin Von Erich

Bull Gantner

"American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

Road Warrior Hawk

Road Warrior Animal

w/Paul Ellering/Mike & Lance Von Erich

Vs.

Michael "P.S" Hayes

Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy

Terry Funk

"Ravishing" Rick Rude

"Ragin" Bull Manny Fernandez

w/Ted Dibiase/Dory Funk Jr/Buddy Roberts

Before the match begins, the cameras catch Ted Dibiase giving a speech to his team about how important it is they take out Dusty Rhodes and win this match

On the other side, Dusty Rhodes is heard pumping up his team about how important historic first time match is……

***HIGHLIGHTS***

Kevin Von Erich and Manny Fernandez start off this historic match…..they are both cautious and try to avoid contact with the cage…..the match starts off slow until the initial period is over and Team Hayes wins the coin toss which brings in Terry Funk for the 2 on 1 advantage…..Kevin held his own for minute or so but he couldn't overcome the numbers…..which led to Funk/Fernandez brutalizing him and busting his open until the horn went off for the next entry which was Dusty Rhodes!  Rhodes comes in and starts throwing elbows at both Funk and the Bull…..Dusty rammed Funk's head into the cage and opening him up as well!  Kevin managed to fight back and gets some offense in on Fernandez….Team Rhodes was in control until the next entry……Michael "P.S." Hayes!  Hayes comes in and gouges the eyes of Dusty helping Funk take control….and pulls a chain out of his tights working over Kevin Von Erich…..eventually Hayes makes his way over to Rhodes and busts open his forehead using the chain as blood pours down the head of the American Dream….until the horn blows and in come……BULL GANTNER!! Bull comes in like a man possessed and starts leveling Fernandez, Hayes, and Funk with clotheslines……He puts Hayes on his shoulder and spears him into the cage wall busting him open as well….Gantner is on fire as he presses Funk over his head just ramming him over and over into the top of the cage…before dropping him onto his shoulder for a running powerslam!!  Gantner seems unstoppable until the next man…."Ravishing" Rick Rude enters the fray…..Gantner charges Rude who sidesteps him and Gantner runs headfirst into the cage……Rude and Hernandez swarm on him and just unload with boots and fists until the big man is on the mat sucking wind….Dusty Rhodes is in bad shape as Funk chokes him with the chain that Hayes brought in while Hayes stomps on Kevin Von Erich….After a few minutes of the heels having the advantage….Road Warrior Animal enters the cage and goes on a rampage…..throwing guys around….Gantner manages to get a 2nd win as well…while Dusty and Kevin are still bloodied and in trouble…..the final entrant for the heel side is Terry 'Bam Bam' Gordy and hits the ring wide open laying in to Animal, and cutting off Gantner…..Gordy makes sure that his partners are back in control and they maintain that control until the final horn blows which brings in Road Warrior Hawk and now the 'MATCH BEYOND' begins….Submission or Surrender is the only way this fight ends……the battle rages on for several minutes until Gantner hit Terry Funk with a stiff 'chop block' from behind which allowed Dusty Rhodes to lock in a figure four leglock……Funk was screaming in pain….Kevin Von Erich went up on the ropes and dove off on Funk while he was still locked in the figure four leglock….Gantner got on top of Funk and started raining down right hands as Dusty cranked down on the figure four until Funk finally screamed, "I QUIT….He's breaking my goddamn leg…..I QUIT!!"

With that the match is over…..the winners: The Road Warriors, Bull Gantner, Kevin Von Erich, and 'the American Dream' Dusty Rhodes!!  

Post match: Mike and Lance Von Erich along with Paul Ellering left the ring celebrating with the winners while Ted Dibiase, Dory Funk Jr, and Freebird Buddy Roberts entered the cage…..Dibiase immediately went over and started berating Terry Funk for losing the match…..Dory Funk Jr told Dibiase to calm down….Dibiase slapped Dory across the face causing Dory to shove him to the mat….and with that Fernandez and Rude attacked Dory Funk Jr and started putting the boots to him and was joined by Dibiase….the Freebirds simply shrug it off and walk away….as Terry Funk struggles to get to his feet, Dibiase kicks his injured knee sending him crashing back to the mat…Jimmy Jack Funk runs in to make the save but is met by all three Rude/Fernandez/Dibiase and doesn't fair to well as he gets left laying as well.

(A short concert was performed by Lee Greenwood during the removal of the WARGAMES cage, Greenwood closed by performing his patriotic hit "God Bless the USA" as Kerry Von Erich made his way to the ring…Kerry was wearing a robe that had a Texas Flag and an American Flag side by side on the back that read:)

"For David.…For Texas….For America" the reception from the hometown crowd was HUGE!

Then the NWA World Champion made his way down to thunderous boos from the Dallas fans….Koloff seemed to thrive on this as he made his way through the hostile crowd.

MAIN EVENT

NWA World Heavyweight Championship

"The Russian Nightmare"

Nikita Koloff

Vs.

"The Modern Day Warrior"

Kerry Von Erich

***Highlights***

As the opening bell rang, Nikita turned around and taunted the crowd eliciting a huge round of boos…..Koloff challenged Kerry to do the same and when Kerry did….the crowd went wild…..but when Kerry turned back around Nikita LEVELED him with a  Russian sickle!! He went for the cover 1-2---2 3/4 and Kerry barely kicked out!!  This put Koloff in control for the majority of the first half of the match…..Koloff went for another sickle but Kerry ducked and referee David Manning was taken out! Kerry clamped on the 'Iron Claw' and Nikita was in serious trouble but there was no ref in sight….Ole Anderson and Ivan Koloff hit the ring and attacked Kerry but before they could do very much damage, Lance and Mike Von Erich hit the ring and evened the odds, throwing them out to the floor and chasing them up the aisle……as Kerry struggled to get back to his feet….Nikita leveled him with a 2ND RUSSIAN SICKLE!! Koloff covered Kerry…for a few seconds until another referee finally made it down to the ring…he counts….1……2……and he's pulled out of the ring by……"DR. D" DAVID SHULTZ!!  Shultz tells the referee that Ole and Ivan interfered and the referee tells Shultz to leave ringside! Meanwhile Nikita comes over and yells at Shultz to "get out of here!" Nikita turns around and charges Kerry with another Russian Sickle but Kerry ducks again and Nikita slams into the turnbuckle, he staggers back out into a discus punch from Kerry for the 1--2--3!!! The Dallas crowd erupts as after 23 minutes 49 seconds  we have a new NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!!! The Modern Day Warrior Kerry Von Erich!!!  'Tom Sawyer' by Rush blasts across the PA as the fellow babyfaces fill the ring to congratulate the new champion!

gm_fivestar02.jpg

That's a good way to write up a battle royal, just giving highlights.

i also enjoyed the more detailed write-up for the very exciting War Games match, and the huge title change.

Kerry will be a great NWA champion, I am sure. Martel to Nikita to KVE is a pretty great series of title changes.

and you still have lots of intrigue going forward, with guys like Terry Funk and Dr. D showing different sides of their characters 

The American Bash has been a huge success and now in Dallas, we move into a new era!  Great Bash event with huge matches, creativity and a main event second to none.  From the opening matches to the Battle Royal to War Games to the the NWA title match, this card must have brought the house down.  

Just to brag a little, I picked Schultz to win that Battle Royal!  Can't wait to see where this all goes!  War Games is a tough concept to write but you made it really easy to follow as was the Battle Royal!

Gilbert's first match as TV champ is exactly what I would want it to be.  The Mega Stars get a necessary win on a big, big show.  Dr. D winning the Battle Royal was the right choice if you ask me.  Street is not going to let this one slide.  Andre going over was the right choice, even if it's not exactly rocket science.  Brody/Hansen against the Road Warriors?  I'll be there for that one!  Great WarGames with the heels falling apart afterwards.  I like Schultz's revenge on the Koloffs.  Big win by Kerry!!  The Russian NIghtmare is finally over.  But the Koloffs have some legit gripes that will not go away so easily as well.

What a Bash finale as WCCW puts on one epic event! I would love to see the attendance number for this show because I know it drew big.

The crowd probably didn't like the outcome but I liked Gilbert opening the show. 

The Mega Stars get a mega win on a mega show.

Who better to win a Bunkhouse Battle Royal than Dr. D. 

Fun 6 man tag with the fan favorites getting the win over Tojo's men. I have a feeling this isn't over.

Perfect finish for the mix tag match with Adonis spraying the perfume.  LOL I wish I could of seen Percy in there with Street or Linda.  

Andre gets another big moment on a super card. That's always a crowd pleaser.

I love the contrast of styles between RnR and Brody/Hansen. I'm sure RnR gave them a heck of a fight and there's no shame losing to the almost unbeatable team of Brody/Hansen.

The War Games Match! It exceeded expectations. These guys went all out and gave performances of a lifetime. Everybody looked strong. It really was an all out war. Terry gives up and pays a price for it. If this sets up a Funks vs. Dibiase,/Awesome Twosome feud, I'm all for it! 

How do you follow a War Games Match? Oh yea with a huge NWA World Title Bout involving Nikita Koloff and Kerry Von Erich. This match really had me on the edge of my seat. So much drama and excitement along with crazy run ins. I loved this match. What a finish! Kerry Von Erich wins the NWA Title! The final picture says it all. What a historic moment. 

Fantastic job and all your hard work surely paid off. 

Amazing showcase here from World Class to go along with all the rest of the action. Some of the hot points for me were the Dr. D win and then the perfume spray finish which was fantastic. Like the Andre showcase and the tag title match which kind of gets me excited about Brody and Hansen and what they can truly become here in the NWA. 

Big time finish for the War Games match which really was the highlight of the show for me and I would have actually put this in the main event with the title change happening before hand due to the spectacle. I enjoyed Kerry winning the title and it really marks a change in the NWA with 3 champions in one year but all three deserving and all three being top tier guys. I think it shows a difference between this and Real Life. Here... you have challengers who COULD TAKE THE TITLE AT ANY POINT rather than Flair who continued to just defend the title without regard. You don't know who is going to win which is the real best part of things but also when that one person, whomever it may be, does go on a longer title run then you will know they are truly the best. Will that person be Kerry? I am not sure... he has the pedigree but also a stack of contenders that will challenge him on every front.