Pro Wrestling Only

Lesnar back in UFC

joeg

So Lesnar showed up last night in the UFC and challenged Cormier. It looks like the fight is going to happen in November/December/January. Does WWE get the belt off of Lesnar at Summerslam?  Leaving the belt on Lesnar as he heads into a fight where he's a 5 to 2 underdog (and those odds seem way too close) and will be subject to random drug tests for 4 months sounds like a horrible idea. 

I'm not even counting on Vince to take the title off Lesnar. Especially if he has the possibility of Lesnar beating DC for the UFC Heavyweight title. Imagine having both the WWE Universal & UFC Heavyweight Champion heading into their national TV deal with FOX next year. Vince must be giddy just thinking about it.

I don't think Lesnar has much of a shot against Cormier. His whole gameplan is built around using his size and wrestling ability to smother a guy on the ground, which is the exact kind of thing Cormier is one of the best at neutralizing. No way WWE would let him keep the title going into a fight where he has a big chance of getting embarrassed.

WWE will probably take the belt off him and if he wins against Cormier then he will win the belt back so they can say they have a talent be champ of both wwe and ufc (not that I think lesnar is going to win). Would that potentially mean that whoever beat him for the title would be a bit pointless? potentially yes but the idea of having a guy hold both championships must be so inciting for vince and would be for anyone as that is a huge deal.

9 hours ago, joeg said:

So Lesnar showed up last night in the UFC and challenged Cormier. It looks like the fight is going to happen in November/December/January. Does WWE get the belt off of Lesnar at Summerslam?  Leaving the belt on Lesnar as he heads into a fight where he's a 5 to 2 underdog (and those odds seem way too close) and will be subject to random drug tests for 4 months sounds like a horrible idea. 

Doesn't Lesnar have to be in the USADA program for at least 6 months to be eligible to fight? If that's the case I would assume he will fight on the Superbowl weekend show (if he makes it that far, that is).

I'm a big Brock supporter, but I'm over all this already. I was already over it when people were going 'nanners over the shit with Jones. His last actual fight did nothing to excite me either.

If he's going back to fight regularly, then yeah. Okay. I can get behind that. But this whole "half fake fighter, half shoot fighter" shit is too contrived for my tastes.

Mixing pro wrestling with MMA is unnatural and an abomination. I shan't be swayed. :D

13 hours ago, Robert S said:

Doesn't Lesnar have to be in the USADA program for at least 6 months to be eligible to fight? If that's the case I would assume he will fight on the Superbowl weekend show (if he makes it that far, that is).

Brock entered the USADA pool on July 3. Also taking into account his suspension, he's eligible to fight in UFC starting January 8, 2019.

I understand why fans have a problem with Brock still being Universal Champion after all this time, but I do feel like all the talk about how it's supposedly this huge detriment to the quality of the show is GREATLY exaggerated.

In what way would the show be substantially improved by the presence of the big red belt? Because I don't see how it ultimately makes a dent in anything, to be honest.

The same guys are going to be marginalized, regardless. The stakes still remain inconsequential. The very same things that feel totally insignificant right now won't automatically start to matter or mean anything, just because the red belt is suddenly on TV again.

The missing belt isn't the big issue. It doesn't matter who they crown champion or whether he's there - front & center every week - or not. The real issue is much larger than that, and it feels so short-sighted to simply lay the blame at the feet of an absent champion or whatever.

The Universal Title was around during that whole Fall of endless Rollins/Owens/Jericho stuff, and it was fucking awful. Just truly terrible time-killing shit, week after week after week. The belt being there didn't enhance or improve a thing. Same deal now.

Don't get me wrong. Brock's reign has been on borrowed time and has felt tiresome since at least January. But I can't help but feel like people are being way over the top with some of their criticisms in how much of a difference it does or doesn't actually make at the end of the day.

And, honestly, that's possibly the biggest indictment against him above all else at this point. It no longer feels like he makes a difference one way or the other - champ or not, present or absent.

14 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

I understand why fans have a problem with Brock still being Universal Champion after all this time, but I do feel like all the talk about how it's supposedly this huge detriment to the quality of the show is GREATLY exaggerated.

In what way would the show be substantially improved by the presence of the big red belt? Because I don't see how it ultimately makes a dent in anything, to be honest.

The same guys are going to be marginalized, regardless. The stakes still remain inconsequential. The very same things that feel totally insignificant right now won't automatically start to matter or mean anything, just because the red belt is suddenly on TV again.

The missing belt isn't the big issue. It doesn't matter who they crown champion or whether he's there - front & center every week - or not. The real issue is much larger than that, and it feels so short-sighted to simply lay the blame at the feet of an absent champion or whatever.

The Universal Title was around during that whole Fall of endless Rollins/Owens/Jericho stuff, and it was fucking awful. Just truly terrible time-killing shit, week after week after week. The belt being there didn't enhance or improve a thing. Same deal now.

Don't get me wrong. Brock's reign has been on borrowed time and has felt tiresome since at least January. But I can't help but feel like people are being way over the top with some of their criticisms in how much of a difference it does or doesn't actually make at the end of the day.

And, honestly, that's possibly the biggest indictment against him above all else at this point. It no longer feels like he makes a difference one way or the other - champ or not, present or absent.

I dont even see why he had to beat Goldberg to begin with, Roman should have been the guy to beat Goldberg.