Pro Wrestling Only

Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling Aug. 86

spaldoni

MACW @ WTBS Studios TV Aired 8-2-86

Footage is shown of Buzz Sawyer's brutal attack on Tommy Rich last week. 

Schiavone: Hello again everybody and welcome to another edition of Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling. With me as always, David Crockett. Well David, we both watched in shock as Buzz Sawyer showed up last week and assaulted the TV champion, Tommy Rich. I understand you have some things to say about that.

Crockett: Yes I do Tony. First off, Tommy Rich is in pretty bad shape and against Doctor's orders he went up to actually wrestle in Lutte. I can only hope he returns home safely. Now, as for the actions of Buzz Sawyer. My brother Jim has stated that Buzz Sawyer has been suspended and will decide when he can return. 

The crowd boos as Buzz Sawyer storms out.

Sawyer: Suspended! Suspended! This just proves what a coward Tommy Rich is! You're gutless Rich! You've always been gutless! I'm here standing tall and you left the country. Instead of suspending me, they should strip Rich of his title. But it looks like poor little Tommy Rich is a Crockett darling. (Points at David) If big brother is looking for an apology (diabolical laugh) forget it! I beat Tommy Rich up last week and it felt so good! Suspended or not, I don't care because I'm not going to rest until I put Tommy Rich out of commission for good! 

Sawyer storms off to boos. 

Schiavone: Oh my, that was very unsettling. 

Crockett: He's certainly a deranged individual and the suspension stands. Ok Tony, well we do have a great show lined up. Listen to this barn burner of a main event. Rip Oliver will clash with Blackjack Mulligan. We will show you footage from Ashville and why Rip Oliver demanded this match.

Schiavone: In another featured bout, Stampede Rush will take on the Caspian Empire. Also in action will be Austin Idol, the Assassins, Brad Rheingans, Corporal Kirchner, the Renegade Warriors and the NWA National Champion, Arthur W. Crews. 

Crockett: Also in action, the number one contender to the United States title, Jimmy Snuka. Jimmy receives that shot, this weekend in Greensboro. We will also hear from the Champ himself, Ted Dibiase, pre recorded comments of course. We will also be hearing from Bad News Brown and the US tag team champs, Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley. We also have footage from Pittsburg and what went down between Paul Orndorff and Tiger Jeet Singh.

Schiavone: All that and more. Fans, lets go to the ring. 

Renegade Warriors vs. Tim Straw and Lou Simms

The Warriors double hip toss Simms and follow with a double chop. Simms is finally able to tag in Straw. Chris swings Straw into the turnbuckles and follows with a running boot to the head then tags in Mark. Mark hits the Sling Shot Splash for the pin! The fans cheer as Mark and Chris hug and raise their arms. 

Warriors cut a promo on the Fabulous Blondes and tell them their cheap tactics wont stop them from beating them and continuing their quest for the US tag team titles. 

Commercial Break

Corporal Kirchner vs. Roger Murphy

The fans cheer as Kirchner parades around the ring, waving the American Flag and slaps hands with them. Kirchner is all business in the ring as he body slams Murphy and follows with a standing leg drop. Kirchner hoists Murphy up and hits the Fallaway Slam for the pin! The fans cheer as Kirchner waves the flag and heads for the podium.

Schiavone: Impressive win tonight Corporal. Well, I have to ask, I'm sure you saw Don Kernodle out here last week with his Pride of Kernodle flag. As a matter of fact he wants to be known as Don 'The pride of' Kernodle. What do you think of all this as I know the two of you have unfinished business.

Kirchner: Unfinished business is right! Don can parade around with his stupid flag all he wants. For me, in this country, this is the only flag that matters (Kirchner waves the flag to cheers) Just remember this Kernodle, pride cometh before the fall and fall you will! 

Kirchner heads out waving the flag as the fans really get behind him. 

Commercial Break

Crockett: Ok fans, I want to take you to some pre recorded comments from the US Champion, the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase. 

Dibiase is standing in front of a private jet.

Dibiase: AHHH fresh air. This is so much better than being in that filthy germ invested studio amongst those minimum wage bottom of the barrel simpletons known as fans. Now, I know most of you simpletons cant fathom the idea of having a lot of money...well any kinds of money for that matter. Money buys the best and as you know I have the best lawyers working today. My lawyers have officially worked out the details and have gotten my clients, the Awesome Twosome a match for the United States Tag Team Titles in Greensboro this weekend. After they win the titles, wow their stock will rise and once again will prove what a shrewd business man I am. I've also arranged a rematch between Bad News Brown and my other client King Kong Bundy. Some advice for you Brown, watch your back (Laughs) Now as for my opponent Jimmy Snuka. (Shakes his head in disgust and looks down) I still cant believe I'm wrestling a... well I guess I'll call him a man but that's debatable. This so called man wrestles barefoot (pauses with another look of disgust) and I cant understand anything he says. This is the man that gets a US title shot? What's wrestling come to? Well I'm a fighting champion and I'll fulfill my duties. It's just a shame it's against in inferior opponent like Snuka. A so called man who's moniker is a fly. Well in Greensboro, I'm going to swat him like a fly and put him down, then move on to bigger and way better things. (Laughs as the segment ends) 

Back Live

Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka vs. Larry O'Meara

Snuka swings Larry to the ropes and puts him down with a lunging headbutt. Snuka swings off the ropes and hits a jumping knee drop then follows with a body slam. The fans cheer as Snuka gets on the top turnbuckles and crashes down with the Superfly Splash for the pin! Snuka flashes the 'I love you' sign and heads to the podium.

Schiavone: Very impressive showing. Well Jimmy, you heard the comments by Ted Dibiase. 

Snuka: Dibiase likes to make fun of me and talk about how rich he is. Let me tell you something brotha, money doesn't make you a better man than me or any of these good people out here. You're looking past me. Big mistake brotha and you're going to find out why in Greensboro. I earned this title shot. You might have a lot of money but you cant buy your way out of losing that US title. Dibiase, the clock has struck and your time is up.

Commercial Break

'Professor' Brad Rheingans vs. Todd Rooney

Brad hits several takedowns on Rooney then slaps him across the face. Brad swings Rooney to the ropes and puts him down with a forearm smash. Brad hits a vertical suplex then starts stomping away on Rooney's arm. Brad twists the arm and slaps Rooney around. Finally Brad ends it with the Kimura! Brad jumps up and down celebrating then reapplies the kimura on Rooney. The fans cheer as Great Gama runs into the ring and hammers away on Brad! Gama swings Brad to the ropes and back drops him. Gama hits a backbreaker and clamps on the Boston Crab! Brad is screaming in pain as officials run out to break it up. Gama releases the hold and raises his fist to the cheering fans. Gama starts to walk away but turns around and stomps away on Brad's back and reapplies the Boston Crab! Officials are trying to get him off but Gama is a man possessed. Finally Gama releases and leaves the fallen Brad behind. 

Commercial Break

Crockett: Wow, that was one intense Great Gama. Brad had to be helped out. This one is far from over. With me right now are the US tag team champions Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley. Gentlemen, you have successfully defended these titles month after month. You heard the announcement by Ted Dibiase. You will be defending against the Awesome Twosome this weekend in Greensboro. 

Johnson: David Crockett, does Ted Dibiase think we're thrown off by this? He got them the shot and that's fine by us.

Cooley: Because we've been fighting champions and have taken on all comers...

The fans boo as Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez head out.

Crockett: Hold on 

Manny: Relax David, we don't need to cause any trouble because the fact of the matter is after this weekend you will be looking at the new US Champs Daddy! You're ducking days are over boys.

Rude: It really is that simple. Look at those two clowns and look at us. You two jokes haven't wrestled anybody like us and this weekend the Awesome Twosome will expose the two of you for the frauds you are. 

Johnson and Cooley stare at the arrogant smiling faces of Rude and Fernandez. They nod to each other and punch away on the Awesome Twosome! Crockett runs out of there. Johnson and Cooley keep firing away and the Awesome Twosome end up backing off and go to the back. The champs hold their titles high as the fans cheer. 

Bull Gantner vs. Clyde Putnam

Bull gets a lot of cheers as he swings Clyde to the ropes and back drops him. Bull follows with a suplex, swings off the ropes and drops a knee. Bull swings Clyde to the ropes and drops him with a massive clothesline to get the pin! The fans cheer as Bull gives them a flex. 

Bull cuts a promo and says he'll be teaming with Paul Orndorff this weekend in Wheeling WV to take on Tiger Jeet Singh and Mark Lewin. Bull says he's pumped up beyond belief and ready for the fight! 

Commercial Break

Schiavone: Fans, before we get to a featured bout, I want to show you footage from Pittsburg and what happened after the Orndorff/Singh Mid Atlantic title match.

Footage is shown of Orndorff's small package win over Singh. Then Singh attacks Orndorff with a foreign object, throws him out of the ring. Executes a Argentine Back Rack Drop and beats Orndorff with his sword. 

Schiavone: Just a brutal attack. However, Paul Orndorff will be in that big tag match with Bull Gantner this weekend in Wheeling. I hope Orndorff knows what he's doing. Singh and Lewin are very dangerous and ruthless men. But then again, Orndorff does have Bull Gantner in his corner. Should be a wild night in Wheeling. Fans, back to the ring. 

Stampede Rush vs. Caspian Empire

The bell rings and these two teams start pounding away on each other. The Ref finally gets control. Smirnoff rakes Kerry's eyes and kicks him in the mid section and tags in Sheik. Sheik hits a gut wrench suplex and covers but Kerry kicks out. Sheik clamps on a headlock but Kerry rises and hits an atomic drop that sends Sheik bumping. Kerry tags in Duke. Duke hammers away on Sheik, body slams him, swings off the ropes and hits an elbow drop and covers 1..2..Smirnoff runs in with a kick to the head. Kerry runs in and blasts Smirnoff with a running forearm blast. Stampede Rush swings Sheik to the ropes and nails him with a double back elbow smash. Duke swings off the ropes with a forearm drop and covers. The Ref is guiding Kerry back to the corner. Smirnoff fly's off the top rope with a knee on Duke's back. The Ref turns around as Sheik rolls over for the cover 1..2..3! Smirnoff grabs Sheik and they exit the ring, then hold up their arms in victory as Kerry attends to Duke. 

Commercial Break

NWA National Champ Arthur W. Crews w/Rock Riddle vs. Dave Penson

Crews swings Penson to the ropes and hits a flying shoulder block. Crews gets on the 2nd turnbuckles. Penson staggers up and Crews puts him down with a flying drop kick. Crews picks Penson up and hits a neckbreaker slam for the pin! Riddle pushes the Ref's hand out of the way and raises Crew's arm to the booing fans. Riddle and Crews head to the podium. 

Crockett: (Not very enthusiastic) Please welcome Rock Riddle and NWA National Champ Arthur W. Crews. 

Riddle: (Smiles and pats Crockett on the back) Davey Davey Davey Baby, what's going on here? Talk to me baby? I thought we agreed you would show a little more enthusiasm when the Agency comes out here. (Rock grabs Crockett's shoulders and lightly rocks them back and forth) This is your old buddy Rock Riddle talking at you. Come on Davey baby, lighten up. We're all friends here.

Crockett: (Annoyed) Ok Rock, the floor is yours.

Riddle: Ok Davey, well you just saw the wrestling display the NWA National Champ Arthur W. Crews put on. 

Crews steps forward, shines up his belt, smiles and holds it up to the camera. 

Riddle: Now, every great champion needs a great nickname. So after a great deal of thought by the Agency, the nickname for Arthur W. Crews will be the Blonde Bomber! (Smiles bright) It's great isn't it? What do you think Davey baby? 

Crockett: The only true Blonde Bomber I know is Ray Stevens.

Riddle pauses and gives David a long puzzling stare.

Riddle: Ray who? 

Crockett: Unbelievable, Rock we've got to go to a commercial break, thank goodness. 

Commercial Break

Before the next match, Dynamite DJ Peterson comes out and cuts a promo on The Flame and says the Assassin wanted a rematch because he thinks DJ's victory last weekend was nothing but a fluke. DJ says this weekend he will show the Flame and Assassin it was no fluke! 

The Assassins w/The Assassin vs. Ken Jenkins and Jim Davidson

Total domination by the Assassins. They hurl Davidson out of the ring. Kazuo hits Jenkins with a roundhouse kick that sends him right into a German Suplex pin by Cobra! The Assassin leads his team and The Flame to the podium. 

Assassin: I hope everybody got a chance to say goodbye to Hot Property. Standing behind me is the most dominant tag team in Mid Atlantic! This is the team that sent Hot Property packing! If any team gets in their way, they're going to be put down. What they did to Hot Property is a message to every team in Mid Atlantic. As for that punk DJ Peterson, The Flame deals with you this weekend! 

The Masked stable exits to boos.

Schiavone: Very ominous words from The Assassin. Fans, joining me right now is Bad News Brown. Bad News, you and Bundy meet this weekend in Greensboro.

Brown: That's right, Fat Bundy, it's you and me one more time. This time, I put your Fat behind down for good. I heard Ted Dibiase telling me I better watch out. You threatening me, Dibiase? Very stupid thing to do. That could be bad news for you! Just watch what I do to your big time client this weekend. When I get done with Bundy, you wont be able to trade him for a pair of worn out shoes. 

Commercial Break

'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol vs. Gary Williams

Idol swings Williams to the ropes and hits a back elbow smash. Idol picks up Williams and hits a Shin Breaker then clamps on the Las Vegas Leglock for the victory. The fans cheer as Idol winks and gives them a right bicep pose. Idol heads to the podium.

Footage is shown from last week as Rob Fuller hits Idol from behind with a loaded towel. 

Idol: I thought it was over between Fuller and I, but baby I thought wrong. That's ok with me because this weekend in Wheeling, it's me and Fuller in a lights out match. That's right! Now I can finally knock Fuller out for good! And trust me baby, he's not getting up! 

Commercial Break

Crockett: Fans, before we get to our main event, I want to show you the disturbing footage from Ashville. 

Footage is shown of Blackjack Mulligan hitting Jimmy Valiant with a chair while the Southern Ramblers were holding him. Paul Jones even got in some slaps. Sweet Brown Sugar tried to help but the numbers were to much to handle. Mulligan has the claw on. Valiant is a bloody mess and ends up getting stretchered out of there. 

Crockett: As you know, Rip Oliver was out of town during that brutal attack. Oliver was so angry by this he demanded a match with Mulligan today. 

The fans boo hard as Paul Jones and Blackjack Mulligan come out.

Jones: Finally! Finally! At long last! I'm finally rid of that low life dirt bag, Jimmy Valiant! Blackjack Mulligan has finally done what no other wrestler from my past factions could do. He put that Valiant out of Mid Atlantic for good. 

Mulligan: Paul, I told you, you pay me the big money and the job will get done! 

Jones: Thank you! Thank you! I'm giving you a raise and you know who's next.

Mulligan: Oliver! You yellow mutt! You're next! Let's do this! 

Blackjack Mulligan w/Paul Jones  vs. Rip Oliver

Mulligan doesn't even make it to the ring. The fans go wild as Rip Oliver runs out, knocks Jones down and just starts pummeling Mulligan! Oliver pounds away then swings Mulligan into the steel post! Oliver puts his knee on Mulligan's chest, grabs him by the hair and punches away on his face, busting him open. Jones runs over and is ready to hit Oliver with the cane but Oliver quickly rises and grabs Jones by his collar. The fans boo as the Southern Ramblers run out and jump Oliver. They throw him in the ring and stomp away then double body slam him. The fans erupt as Steve Armstrong and Tracy Smothers (The Southern Boys) hit the ring! They start punching away on the Ramblers. They swing the Ramblers to the ropes and double back drop them! The Ramblers stagger up and the Southern Boys drop kick them out of the ring! The fans are going wild as the Southern Boys shake their fists. Jones is shocked as Mulligan and the Ramblers are all laid out on the ground. 

Commercial Break

Schiavone: Unbelievable! The Southern Boys have arrived! 

Oliver is holding his head and patting the Southern Boys on the back.

Armstrong: That's right Tony, the Southern Boys are here and we're going to show the Southern Ramblers what Southern Justice is all about!

Smothers: You know, our buddy Sweet Brown Sugar gave us a call and told us the situation. We know The Ramblers well and Rip Oliver, we want you to know that we got your back brother! 

Oliver: (Shakes their hands) Boys, I'll be happy to accept your help. A few weeks ago I made a promise to Jimmy Valiant and told him I would fight side by side and earn his trust. I should of never gone out of town. I should of known what that coward Paul Jones and his stooges would do. Paul Jones! Blackjack Mulligan! I'm coming for blood! I'm going to fulfill my promise to Jimmy Valiant. I wont rest until both of you are exterminated from Mid Atlantic. Southern Ramblers, now I have some friends. Your days are numbered Jones! 

Schiavone: Wow! And there you have it. Fans, we'll see you next week. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great job explaining Rich went to Lutte against doctors orders.  I agree with Dawho that in the new cable tv age, we have to be careful of what each other is doing when we loan out talent.  This is a tough day and age for the territory system as we still have many kids believing this is real and not sports entertainment.  I remember watching Georgia Championship wrestling and they did a promo with JYD in a hospital bed on a Saturday and then I watched Mid-South on Sunday at JYD was wrestling.  This was an eye opener for a 9 or 10 year old kid.

That being said, the show was awesome and I love Tommy Rich/Buzz Sawyer as much as anything.  I rencently was watching some Georgia championship Wrestling from 1979 and Buzz and Sullivan were both young babyfaces.  They both had some real skill!

NIce job keeping some of the opening talent and midcarders hot with some good wins over the jobbers.  

Great promo with Dibiase and his build up of his match with Snuka.  I loved Ted calling his a Fly.

I was excited for your mainevent and enjoyed Oliver attacking Mulligan before the bell.  The attack by the Southern Ramblers was classic TV abd that is where I thought it would end.  Your way of bringing the Southern Boys here was oerfect and gets them over right away.

Really good show open highlighting Rich-Sawyer.  It really gets Buzz Sawyer over quickly.  The Renegades continue their build and I look forward to seeing them face the Blondes.  Good, simple promo from Kirchner.  I like the counterpoint to Kernodle's overblown character.  Great job with the DiBiase promo.  He comes across as such a vain, arrogant prick.  Snuka is looking ready for Ted.  I love how Great Gama has no qualms about giving the Professor's bullshit right back to him.  I'm not sure if I want the Twoseome or Cooly & Johnson to be champs after the weekend.  Both would be great champs.  I like Gantner but I'm not sure anyone should be excited to face Tiger Jeet Singh and Mark Lewin.  Caspian Empire would be heat magnets in the 80s and that's exactly how you use them.  Great team to put incoming babyface teams against.  I am pretty sure Rock Riddle stole the show.  Again.  Assassin has a point about his team being very dangerous.  But I can't help but think there is a babyface team waiting in the wings to take them on anyway.  Not sure it's wise for Peterson to take on the Flame alone.  Brown and Idol both have some very serious words and I hope the people they were talking to listened.  And that main.  Oliver sprinting out to take out Jones and Mulligan.  YES!  The Southern boys coming out as backup. HELL yes!!  I can't wait to see what you do with the Southern Boys.

MACW @ The Coliseum, Greensboro NC 8-2-86

Due to some traveling issues, some matches in Greensboro and Wheeling had to be switched around. 

Mike Sharpe vs. Vinnie Valentino

Valentino shows a lot of fire as he hip tosses and drop kicks Sharpe all over the ring. Valentino almost gets the pin with a sunset flip. Sharpe bends the rules with some eye rakes and choking. Valentino comes back with a flurry and swings Sharpe to the ropes but Sharpe reverses it but misses a clothesline, Valentino swings back and hits a flying body press but Sharpe rolls him over with a handful of tights to get the pin! 

'Dynamite' DJ Peterson vs. The Flame w/The Assassin

Flame jumps DJ and pounds away, swings him to the ropes and nails him with a forearm smash. Flame body slams DJ, swings off the ropes and gives him a jumping knee drop. Flame chokes DJ with his boot and drops several knees and covers 1..2..Kick Out. Flame picks up DJ and drops him on the top rope. While DJ is hanging there, Flame kicks the mid section, which hurls DJ over the rope and on the ground. Flame distracts the Ref while Assassin puts the boots to DJ. DJ finally makes it up on the apron. Flame grabs him and hoists him up to suplex him back in the ring but DJ fights out of it and backslides Flame 1..2..3!! The crowd erupts! DJ pulls off another win out of nowhere. Assassin is throwing a fit on the outside. DJ rolls out of the ring and celebrates with the fans while The Flame is berating the Ref. 

Polynesian Power vs. Caspian Empire

Fun match up as the shift changes several times as both teams display good teamwork. Polynesian Power swing Smirnoff to the ropes and double hip toss him. Sheik runs in and gets double back dropped. Later in the match Sheik executes a gut wrench suplex and Smirnoff follows with a flying knee drop from the top turnbuckle. Still, neither team is able to score a pin. At the 15 minute mark, Caspian Empire take control as Sheik grabs Sakalia and hits a belly to belly suplex. Sheik tags in Smirnoff. Sheik body slams Sakalia and Smirnoff comes off the 2nd turnbuckle with a stomp to the mid section. Sheik puts out his boot and Smirnoff rams Sakalia's head on it. Sheik chokes Sakalia while Smirnoff kicks away. Tui has enough and charges over. Tui blasts Sheik off the apron with a forearm blast. Tui kicks Smirnoff several times and vertical suplexes him. Sheik gets up on the apron but Sakalia grabs him and snaps his head on the top rope, sending him flying. Polynesian Power swings Smirnoff to the ropes and hit a double superkick. The Ref guides Tui back. Sakalia hoists Smirnoff up and hits the Samoan Drop then tags in Tui, who gets on the top turnbuckle and crashes down with the flying elbow drop 1..2..3! Sheik comes in but gets nailed by Sakalia. The crowd pops hard for Polynesian Power. 

Lights Out Match

'The Universal Heartthrob' Austin Idol vs. Rob 'The Stud' Fuller

The rules to this is simple, no disqualification and the winner is declared when he knocks his opponent out for a 10 count. 

The heat is incredible as these two men start hammering away on each other. They take the fight to the outside and fight all around the ring. Fuller rakes the eyes and slams Idol into the steel post, drawing first blood. Fuller regroups and punches away on Idol then slams his head on the apron. Idol rolls over against the steel post. A smiling Fuller walks over to him but Idol grabs his tights and pulls him head first into the steel post. Now Fuller is cut. Idol slowly gets up and clears the cobwebs. Idol grabs Fuller and slams his head on a table then hurls him back in the ring. Idol just starts stomping away on Fuller then drops down and punches away on his bloody face as the crowd goes wild. Idol swings Fuller hard into the turnbuckles and charges in but Fuller lunges forward with a clothesline. Both men are down. Fuller reaches in his tights and puts on the brass knuckles. Both men slowly get up. Fuller takes a wild swing but Idol ducks and picks him up and drops him with a Shin Breaker. The fans cheer as Idol clamps on the Las Vegas Leglock! Idol wrenches away as Fuller screams in pain. Then Idol releases the hold, steps on Fuller's hand and takes the brass knuckles. Idol holds his fist up to the cheering crowd and goes to the top rope. Idol crashes down and nails Fuller's face with the brass knuckles! Fuller is out. The Ref counts while Idol and the fans count along with him. He reaches 10 and signals for the bell. The fans cheer as Idol steps over Fuller and gives them a right arm bicep pose. 

Intermission

Stampede Rush vs. The Assassins w/The Assassin

Hard hitting action as Stampede Rush swings Cobra to the ropes and hit a double back elbow smash. Kerry hoists Cobra up while Duke picks his legs up and come down with an assisted Atomic drop. Kerry covers but Kazuo breaks it with a kick. Duke punches Kazuo back to the corner. The Ref guides Duke back. Kerry staggers up and Kazuo kicks him behind the knee. Cobra follows with a knee strike to the head and tags in Kazuo. Kazuo snap suplexes Kerry and covers 1..2..Duke drops an elbow. Kazuo tags in Cobra. Cobra gets on the top turnbuckle and goes for a Senton but Kerry moves, rolls over and tags in Duke. Duke gets on the 2nd turnbuckle and crashes down with a knee 1..2..Kazuo breaks it. Kerry runs in and him and Kazuo fight in the corner. Duke body slams Cobra, swings off the ropes and hits an elbow drop and covers but the Ref is trying to break up Kerry and Kazuo. Duke starts to walk over but Cobra sneaks up and low blows him. The Ref guides Kerry back. The Assassin runs around the ring and taunts Kerry. Kerry jumps off the apron and heads towards him. In the ring, Duke is barely able to stand. Kazuo nails him with a roundhouse kick into a German Suplex pin by Cobra 1..2..3! Kerry realizes what happened and runs into the ring as the Assassins roll out. The Assassin raises their arms while the fans boo. 

Rip Oliver/Southern Boys vs. Blackjack Mulligan/Southern Ramblers w/Paul Jones

The fans are loving this as all 6 men just go at it. Jones leaps over the top rope and gets out of there. Oliver is pounding away on Mulligan in the corner. The Southern Boys drop kick the Ramblers out of the ring. Oliver swings Mulligan into the turnbuckles. Oliver leaps up on the turnbuckles and punches away as the fans count along. Oliver swings Mulligan into the opposite corner and charges in with a knee to the mid section. Oliver stomps away on Mulligan. Ramblers run in but Southern Boys are on it and punch them through the ropes. Oliver swings Mulligan to the ropes and bends down but Mulligan kicks him and staggers back to tag in Rich. Mulligan is laying across the apron. Rich heads towards Oliver but Oliver dives and tags in Armstrong. Rich begs but Armstrong pounds away, swings him to the ropes and hits a high knee then tags in Smothers. They swing Rich to the ropes and double back drop him. Rose runs in and gets double clotheslined. The tide turns when Rich reverses a swing and Rose knees Smothers on the back. Ramblers double body slam Smothers then hit a double snake eyes. Rose follows with a corner shot splash then tags in Mulligan. Mulligan stomps the head then applies the claw! Oliver runs over and clotheslines Mulligan off him. Ramblers run in and attack Oliver but Armstrong runs over with fists flying. The Ref regains control. Mulligan tags in Rose. Rose swings Smothers to the ropes and misses a clothesline, Smothers swings back, shoulder blocks him down and tags in Armstrong. Armstrong swings Rose to the ropes and hits a drop kick. Jones gets on the apron and Oliver sprints over and sends him flying off with a hard right fist. Mulligan runs in and nails Oliver, sending him through the ropes. Mulligan follows. They start brawling on the outside. Smothers clotheslines Rich over the top rope. Armstrong punches Rose into Smothers. Smothers picks up Rose while Armstrong goes to the top rope. Smothers lifts Rose up and Armstrong fly's off with a drop kick 1..2..3! The fans go crazy! Mulligan and Oliver brawl all the way up the aisle. The Southern Boys hold up their fists to the cheering crowd. 

United States Title Bout

'Million Dollar Man' Ted Dibiase (C) vs. Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka

During the pre match instructions, Dibiase holds up his belt in front of Snuka and taunts him. Dibiase looks over Snuka and shakes his head in disgust. Dibiase is yelling at the Ref and saying he shouldn't have to wrestle this person. Dibiase grabs the house mic

"You know I cant believe this is actually happening. I cant believe I have to defend this prestigious title against this..this person I guess you can say. I'll tell you what Fly, you defiantly look like you could use a few bucks. Never say I'm not a charitable man. How about I give you some money for a haircut and pedicure, hey I'll even throw in extra for a decent meal. All you have to do is walk away on your bare feet. What do you say?"

Snuka slowly looks at both sides of the arena, slowly looks at his feet then looks up at Dibiase and just clocks him! The fans explode as the bell rings. Snuka fires away on Dibiase, swings him to the ropes and puts him down with a chop. Snuka swings Dibiase to the ropes and a lunging headbutt sends Dibiase flying back through the ropes. Dibiase staggers up and falls back against the guard railing. The fans are going nuts. Dibiase wobbles up. Then the fans explode as Snuka leaps over the top rope and dives onto Dibiase! Snuka grabs Dibiase by his hair and punches away. Snuka hurls Dibiase into the ring. Snuka gets on the 2nd turnbuckle and crashes down with a knee drop. Snuka covers 1..2..Dibiase gets his foot on the rope. Snuka picks Dibiase up and hits a backbreaker. Snuka body slams Dibiase then goes to the top turnbuckle. The fans are out of their seats as Snuka flashes the 'I Love You' sign and leaps off but Dibiase rolls out of the way at the last second. Snuka crashes down on the mat. Dibiase gets a much needed rest. Dibiase slowly gets up. Dibiase body slams Snuka, swings off the ropes and hits a delayed fist drop. Dibiase drops an elbow, picks up Snuka, swings him to the ropes and hits a powerslam. Dibiase picks up Snuka and executes a delayed vertical suplex. Dibiase covers 1..2..Snuka barely gets his shoulder up. Dibiase yells at the Ref while holding up 3 fingers. Dibiase swings Snuka to the ropes and puts him down with a back elbow smash. Dibiase executes a gut wrench suplex, hops on the 2nd turnbuckle and comes down with a forearm drop and cover 1..2..Snuka barley gets a shoulder up. Dibiase is frustrated and cant believe it! Dibiase says "It's over!" He swings Snuka hard into the turnbuckles. Snuka staggers forward and Dibiase clamps on the Million Dollar Dream! The fans are really cheering Snuka on. Dibiase starts to swing Snuka around but Snuka runs backwards full speed and slams Dibiase into the turnbuckles. Snuka falls forward as Dibiase lays against the turnbuckles. The fans are pumping Snuka up. Snuka stumbles around then starts stomping Dibiase into the turnbuckles. Snuka hip tosses Dibiase to the center of the ring. Dibiase staggers up and Snuka hits him with a lunging headbutt. Snuka swings off the ropes with a  jumping knee drop and covers 1..2..Dibiase kicks out. Snuka picks Dibiase up but Dibiase rakes the eyes and once again clamps on the Million Dollar Dream! Snuka is fighting it and going crazy. The momentum carries both men through the ropes. The Ref starts counting. Both men stagger to their feet and trade punches. The Ref gets to 10 and signals for the bell! A Double Count Out. Dibiase and Snuka continue to trade punches. They start brawling around the ring and it gets heated. Officials come out to break it up but they break free and continue fighting. Finally, wrestlers from the back come out and break it up. Dibiase and Snuka break free and continue fighting. It's out of control as more wrestlers come out. Finally they break it up. Dibiase is screaming and yelling at Snuka as he's taken up the aisle. Snuka flashes the sign to the cheering fans as he heads up the aisle. 

Surprised to see Peterson get off so easy after a win.  Big win for Polynesian Power!  Like the way Idol got his win, I wonder if Fuller will be done after that.  Assassins are on a roll of late and whoever beats this iteration of them will gain a lot.  That 6-man would have been incredible.  The Southern Boys are already rolling.  DCO between DiBiase and Snuka!  I love it, keep that angle going because it is gold.  

I think that any true fan of 1980s pro wrestling has to love a show that starts out with Iron Mike Sharpe stealing a win and DJ Peterson puling off a win out of nowhere. The rest of the card more than lived up to that great beginning, building up to DiBiase as the Platonic ideal of a southern heel. 

Another great night in the Greensboro Coliseum.  I think the Southern Boys have found the perfect home here as their talents are quickly put to good use.  Dibiase was always a force in the NWA but is becoming unstoppable.  Even in the DCO, what was evident to me was that he didn't need the Awesome Twosome to retain against a quality opponent but it is obvious there is more to come between he and the Fly.  

MACW @ The Civic Center, Wheeling WV 8-3-86

The Great Gama vs. Terry Gibbs

Gibbs eye rakes Gama, then rams his head on the turnbuckle, then body slams him. Gibbs swings Gama into the turnbuckles and charges in but Gama runs forward and hits Gibbs with a flying knee. Gama body slams Gibbs, follows with a backbreaker and applies the Boston Crab to get the victory! Brad Rheingans hits the ring and nails Gama from behind! Brad swings Gama to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Gama swings back and sends Brad flying through the ropes with a running forearm blast! Brad is going nuts on the outside as Gama has his fists up and invites him back in the ring. Brad yells at him and walks off. 

'Cowboy' Scott Casey vs. Chick Donovan

Casey starts off hot with arm drags and headlock takeovers. Donovan comes back and almost pins Casey with a handful of tights. Donovan punches away on Casey in the corner and swings him to the opposite corner but Casey reverses it and Donovan hits hard. Casey clamps on a headlock and hits the Running Bulldog for the pin! 

'Professor' Brad Rheingans vs. Corporal Kirchner

Good match up between two patriotic wrestlers. Kirchner has Brad on the ropes. The Ref tells him to break. Kirchner slowly backs off and Brad cheap shots Kirchner with a kick to the mid section. Brad spins around Kirchner and back suplexes him. Brad lets the booing fans know how smart he is. Brad hits a snap suplex, swings off the ropes with an elbow drop and covers 1..2..Kick Out. Brad swings Kirchner to the ropes, misses a back elbow, Kirchner swings back and clotheslines Brad. Kirchner shakes his fists, body slams Brad and follows with a standing leg drop and cover 1..2..Kick Out. Kirchner lifts Brad up but Brad thumbs Kirchner in the eye. Kirchner is holding his eye and walking around aimlessly when Brad nails him with a Cutter. The fans cheer as Great Gama comes down the aisle. Brad goes to the ropes and starts pointing and yelling at Gama. Gama calmly stands on the outside and grins up at Brad. The Ref is trying to get Brad back in the match. Brad pushes him off and continues to yell at Gama. Kirchner slowly gets up but quickly runs towards Brad and nails him with a flying knee to the back. Brad bounces off the ropes while Kirchner rolls him up 1..2..3!! Big pop as Gama runs in to assist Kirchner out of the ring. Kirchner's eye is still irritated but he smiles as Gama(Who's staring right up at Brad) raises his arm in victory. Brad is on one knee as he stares right back at Gama.

US Tag Team Title Bout

Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley (C) vs. The Awesome Twosome

Big match feeling as these teams have quite the stare down during pre match instructions. The champs control early with quick tags and fast paced offense. They swing Rude to the ropes and double back drop him. Manny runs in and gets double back dropped. Rude staggers up and gets nailed with a double drop kick. Manny gets up and gets double drop kicked to his corner. The Ref gets control. Cooley hoists Rude up and Atomic Drops him. Rude is standing in pain. Cooley swings off the ropes and clotheslines him down and tags in Johnson. Johnson swings Rude to the ropes and hits a high drop kick, swings off the ropes with a jumping elbow drop and cover 1..2..Manny breaks it with a kick. Cooley runs in but the Ref guides him back, giving Manny enough time to body slam Cooley. Rude is able to crawl over and tag in Manny. Johnson starts to rise, Manny nails him with a running knee to the head. Manny follows with a vertical suplex, then hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and waits. Johnson slowly rises and Manny crashes down with a double axe handle. Manny picks up Johnson and swings him to the corner right into a forearm blast by Rude. Manny tags in Rude. They swing Johnson to the ropes and hit a double back elbow smash. Rude covers 1..2..Cooley makes the save. Manny runs in but Cooley punches him back. The Ref guides Cooley back. Rude swings Johnson to the ropes and bends down but Johnson leapfrogs over him and tags in Cooley. Cooley punches away on Rude, swings him to the ropes and back drops him. Rude staggers up and Cooley scoop slams him, Manny runs in and gets scoop slammed. Cooley grabs both of them and knocks their heads together. Cooley grabs Rude, hoists him up and hits the Oklahoma Stampede! The Ref jumps over 1..2..Manny drops a knee on Cooley's head. Johnson runs in and drop kicks Manny into the corner. Manny pulls something out of his tights and puts it in his elbow pad. The Ref guides Johnson back. Cooley stands up. Manny rushes over and nails Cooley with a loaded flying forearm smash! While Johnson heads to his corner, Manny nails him with a loaded blast to the back of the head. Manny runs back to his corner. Rude picks up Cooley and hits the Rude Awakening! The Ref runs over 1..2..3!!! NEW US TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!!!! The Ref hands The Awesome Twosome the titles. They hold them up high to an extremely hostile crowd. Johnson and Cooley are still laid out. 

Intermission

NWA National Champ 'Blonde Bomber' Arthur W. Crews/Fabulous Blondes w/Rock Riddle vs. Renegade Warriors/Sweet Brown Sugar

This match gets the fans back on their feet as the action is non stop. Warriors and Sugar get some sweet spots as the Warriors swing Timbs to the ropes and nail him with a double chop then Sugar follows with a sunset flip and almost gets the pin. Later, Sugar executes a flying head scissors  on Wells and tags Chris while in the air. Chris swings off the ropes and hits a body splash on Wells but Crews breaks the cover. Later, the Blondes come back with a double vertical suplex on Mark and Crews follows with a drop kick from the 2nd turnbuckle. Crews swings Mark to the ropes and nails a flying shoulder block and covers 1..2..Mark barley gets his shoulder up. Another Blonde highlight came when they swung Chris to the ropes and hit a double high knee. Both sides were showing great teamwork. At the 20 minute mark, Wells swings Sugar to the ropes and hits a flying shoulder tackle then tags in Crews. Crews picks up Sugar and executes a shoulder breaker and covers 1..2..Sugar gets his foot on the rope. Riddle and Crews are berating the Ref. Crews tags in Timbs. Timbs goes to suplex Sugar but Sugar blocks it and goes for a suplex but Riddle trips him. Timbs falls on top but The Warriors run in, which brings in Wells and Crews. Everybody is brawling. Finally after order is restored, Sugar is able to tag in Mark. Mark hammers away on Timbs. Mark swings off the ropes but once again Riddle trips him, Mark staggers into a knee lift by Timbs. Timbs tags in Wells. Sugar and Chris have enough of Riddle and chase him around the ring. Timbs and Crews cut them off and start brawling on the outside. Riddle gets up on the apron by the corner. Wells swings Mark into the ropes but Mark reverses it and swings Wells into Riddle. Wells falls back. Mark hops over the ropes onto the apron and hits the Sling Shot Splash 1..2..3! The fans erupt. Sugar punches Crews down as Chris punches Timbs down. They go into the ring and celebrate with Mark as the crowd cheers. 

Bad News Brown vs. King Kong Bundy

This is a lot like their previous match where they just have an all out brawl for the first few minutes. They take the fight to the outside and all around the ring. Bundy eye rakes Brown, clamps on a bearhug and rams him against the apron. Bundy hurls Brown into the ring. Bundy stomps on the back then gives Brown 3 consecutive body slams. Bundy swings off the ropes and drops a big knee on Brown and covers 1..2..Brown barley gets his shoulder up. Bundy screams at the Ref. Bundy swings off the ropes and goes for a giant elbow drop but Brown moves. Bundy crashes down as Brown rolls over to regroup. Bundy gets up first, grabs Brown and swings him to the ropes but misses a clothesline, Brown swings back and nails Bundy with a clothesline but Bundy doesn't go down! Brown swings off the ropes and this time puts him down with a clothesline. Brown picks Bundy up and headbutts him back down and follows with a jumping knee drop. Brown picks Bundy up and swings him into the corner and charges in but Bundy runs forward and mows Brown down with a shoulder block. Bundy is on one knee trying to regroup. Finally both men stagger up. Bundy punches Brown and body slams him. Bundy picks up Brown and swings him hard into the turnbuckles. Bundy raises his fist and charges in but Brown lifts his knees and hits him right on the head. Bundy staggers back. Brown charges forward and nails Bundy with the Ghetto Blaster! Brown covers but The Awesome Twosome hit the ring and hammer away on Brown! The Ref signals for the Disqualification! Defining boos come over the arena. Manny swings Brown to the ropes and hits the flying forearm blast! Rude picks up Brown and hits the Rude Awakening! The Awesome Twosome have to roll Bundy out of the ring and help him back as they're littered with garbage.

Mid Atlantic Champ 'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff and Bull Gantner vs. Tiger Jeet Singh and 'Maniac' Mark Lewin 

The boos hit hard as Lewin and Singh storm down the aisle. Singh barely made it in time as he had to get his sword back from Kokina before flying back to the states. He swings it wildly as he enters the ring. The crowd goes wild as Orndorff (Still hurting from last week's assault by Singh but he's ready to fight tonight) and Bull hit the ring with fists flying! The bell rings and the brawl is on! Singh's sword goes flying and the Ref kicks it out of the ring. Orndorff just pummels Singh in the corner and stomps him down. Bull and Lewin are on the outside fighting. The Ref is showing a lot of leniency and lets them go for awhile. Lewin grabs Bull and heads for the steel post but Bull elbows Lewin, grabs him by his head and rams him head first into the steel post, busting him open. Orndorff swings Singh to the ropes and hits a high knee then jumps down and punches Singh in the face several times. Orndorff stands up and grinds his boot across Singh's face then starts punching away again. Singh is now bleeding. The Ref finally gets some control as Bull goes to his corner. Lewin slowly gets up and gets to his corner. Orndorff swings Singh into the corner and kicks him several times then tags in Bull. Bull swings Singh to the ropes and Gorilla Presses him. The fans go wild as Bull presses Singh several times and slams him down. Bull is pumped up and flexes down at Singh. Lewin charges in and clips Bull's knee from behind. Orndorff runs in but the Ref holds him back. Lewin stomps down on Bull and drags Singh to the corner. The Ref turns around as Lewin tags himself in. Lewin goes to work on Bull like a madman. He stomps, kicks, chokes and bites away on Bull. Lewin drags Bull to the ropes and chokes him on the bottom rope. Lewin picks up Bull, rakes his face against the top rope then snaps him back. Lewin bites Bull on the face and Bull starts to bleed. Lewin picks Bull up and rams him against the turnbuckles and hangs him upside down. He kicks away and tags in Singh. Singh continues the assault and is relentless with his kicks. Orndorff runs over with fists flying but the Ref guides him back. This allows both Singh and Lewin to kick away on Bull. Singh pulls Bull down and stomps away. Singh body slams Bull and chokes him with his boot and tags in Lewin. Lewin swings Bull to the ropes and catches him with the Sleeper! Lewin swings Bull around. Orndorff gets on the top rope and nails Lewin on the back of the head with a double axe handle. Orndorff goes to his corner and tells the crowd to fire Bull up. The crowd obliges and starts chanting Bull! Bull! Bull! Bull dives over and tags in Orndorff! The crowd goes crazy as Orndorff swings Lewin to the ropes and clotheslines him. Singh runs in and gets clotheslined. Orndorff hurls Singh out of the ring. Orndorff body slams Lewin, picks him up and hits a short arm clothesline. The fans erupt as Orndorff gives the signal. Orndorff hoists Lewin up for the piledriver but Singh runs in and nails Orndorff with a forearm smash to the back of the head. Bull runs in and nails Singh. While their going at it, the Ref takes a punch and goes down. Lewin hits Bull from behind and they start brawling. Singh joins in but Orndorff sends Singh flying through the ropes with a forearm blast. The Ref is slowly getting up. Lewin and Bull continue to fight. Orndorff grabs Lewin's tights from behind and pulls him over 1..2..3!!! The crowd explodes! Orndorff and Bull shake hands and celebrate with the crowd. Lewin hits Bull from behind. Orndorff goes to help but Singh runs in the ring with his sword and nails Orndorff from behind! Lewin and Bull brawl through the ropes and up the aisle. Singh starts hitting Orndorff with his sword but Security and officials run in to prevent it from going to far. Moments later, Singh is escorted out. Orndorff is helped up and the crowd gives a huge ovation as Orndorff is able to raise his arm to them.  

Hmmm... DiBiase, Rude, and Fernandez... are you going to add a 4th Horseman (Bundy?) or just leave it at 3? They are certainly doing enough damage and causing enough mayhem for 4 already. And now Bad News will be gunning for them, too. 

That card was violent and exciting from top to bottom. 

Great debut for the Southern Boys, I think they will really stand out here in Mid Atlantic and the Southern Ramblers are perfect opponents for them!

Awesome Twosome are US Tag Champs....I feel like they are truly the biggest threats to The Road Warriors titles outside of Brody/Hansen who seem to after them as well.

Great battle between Bad News/Bundy....looks like Bad News may have to try and get Bundy in a cage to get a fair shake him....that or make some friends to have his back which doesn't seem likely.

Gantner can't help but to continue to improve tagging with guys like Dusty and now Paul Orndorff....epic tag battle here!

Dibiase vs. Snuka is a great pairing and then when you up the stakes by putting the US title in the mix...it's the definition of a main event!

I enjoy your use of the idea that turn around is fair play.  Brad attacking Gama early in the night is quickly paid back.  While Rocky and Wendell were good champs, I think the belts are now on the premier team in the MACW with the Awesome Twosome.  KKB is tough enough alone but throw in the Awesome Twosome and BNB is in trouble.  He may need some friends of his own in this feud.  Orndorff and Bull taking a beating post-victory is always a nice way to continue a feud.  Great booking.

Your use of Gama Singh off the bat has been incredible.  I liked him coming back to mess with Rheingans later on in the show.  The Awesome Twosome are champs!  I love it and I hate it because Cooley and Johnson have had a really fun run.  Great 6-man to bring the crowd back with the faces winning.  I'm sure Riddle will find some reason that win doesn't matter.  Up until the DQ Brown vs. Bundy was awesome.  And now we get more. :)  Great, hard-hitting brawl for the main.  Orndorff using some questionable tactics for sure, but given his opponents I think it is more than acceptable.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm having fun with Bad News Brown and now begins his fight to get to the man who orchestrated that attack. Can he do it alone? I'm also looking forward to The Awesome Twosome's title run. They should have some fun matches with Mid Atlantic teams as well as teams from other territories. I've got a couple more pieces to put together and Mid Atlantic will be set. 

MACW Spot show @ Valley Forge Convention Center, King of Prussia PA 8-8-86

'Cowboy' Scott Casey vs. Terry Gibbs

Gibbs gives Casey some trouble with his gruff tactics. Gibbs swings Casey into the turnbuckles and charges in, Casey moves, clamps on a headlock and hits the Running Bulldog for the pin! 

Mike Sharpe vs. Steve Pardee

Pardee works over Sharpe with some arm drags and arm bars. Sharpe gives Pardee a forearm shot to the head. Sharpe body slams Pardee, hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and drops the elbow for the pin! 

Blackjack Mulligan vs. Vinnie Valentino

Paul Jones is absent tonight. Valentino shows off his quickness with consecutive drop kicks and a flying press. Mulligan cut off his momentum with a lariat. Mulligan swings Valentino to the ropes and hits a flying back elbow smash. Mulligan stomps on the head then applies the claw to finish Valentino off. Mulligan lifts up Valentino and hurls him out of the ring then raises his black gloved fist to the booing crowd. 

Sweet Brown Sugar vs. The Cobra (Assassin 1) 

No Assassin here tonight. Fast paced match between old rivals. Sugar shines with leap frogs, arm drags, drop kicks and flying headscissors. Cobra comes back with knee strikes, suplexes and spin kicks. At the 15 minute mark, Cobra executes a shoulder breaker then follows with an inverted piledriver 1..2..Sugar gets his foot on the rope. Cobra cant believe it and yells at the Ref. Cobra drags Sugar to the center of the ring. Cobra goes to the top rope and comes off with a Senton but Sugar moves. Cobra crashes down. Sugar regroups. Cobra gets up to his hands and knees and Sugar dives over him with a rolling cradle 1..2..3! Big Pop from the crowd as Sugar rolls out to slap hands with them. 

Corporal Kirchner vs. Iron Sheik w/Alexis Smirnoff

The fans boo heavily as Sheik waves the Iranian Flag around while Smirnoff waves the Russian Flag. Those boos turn to a defining roar as Kirchner comes down the aisle waving the American Flag. The bell rings but Smirnoff wont exit the ring. Kirchner runs over and clotheslines Smirnoff over the top rope but Sheik charges from behind and chokes Kirchner with his robe. Sheik loads his boot and stomps away on Kirchner. Sheik hurls Kirchner out of the ring and distracts the ref while Smirnoff stomps on Kirchner and hurls him back in the ring. Sheik gut wrench suplexes Kirchner 1..2..Kick out. The fans start chanting USA! USA! USA! Sheik swings Kirchner to the turnbuckles and charges in but Kirchner runs forward and hits a football tackle! The crowd roars as Kirchner comes alive. Kirchner swings Sheik to the ropes and hits a twirling side slam 1..2..Smirnoff gets on the apron and distracts the Ref. Kirchner runs over as Smirnoff hops down. Sheik comes from behind. Kirchner throws an elbow and accidently knocks the Ref down. Kirchner kicks Sheik in the gut, hoists him up and hits the Fallaway Slam and covers but the Ref is down. Smirnoff gets on the top rope and crashes down on Kirchner with a knee, then puts Sheik on top of him. Smirnoff drags the Ref over 1..2..3! Smirnoff helps Sheik up and gets him out of there as garbage is being thrown at them.

NWA National Title Bout

'Blonde Bomber' Arthur W. Crews(C)w/Rock Riddle vs. Rip Oliver

Oliver controls early with headlock takeovers and a scissor lock. An eye rake by Crews switches momentum. Crews starts to swing Oliver to the ropes but swings him back and nails him with a discuss clothesline. Crews swings Oliver to the turnbuckles and charges in with a knee to the mid section and follows with several more knees. Crews suplexes Oliver back. Crews showboats to the crowd as Riddle encourages him. Riddle taunts the crowd as well. Crews slowly goes to the top rope and showboats some more. Oliver gets up, runs over and slams Crews off the ropes as the crowd cheers. At that moment Blackjack Mulligan comes to ringside but Oliver doesn't see him. Oliver executes a vertical suplex, then swings off the ropes with a forearm drop 1..2..kick out. Oliver sees Mulligan and warns him. Mulligan is yelling at him. Oliver picks Crews up and swings him to the ropes but Crews reverses it. Oliver hits the ropes but is tripped by Mulligan. Oliver stumbles into a DDT from Crews 1..2..3! Riddle grabs the National title, polishes it and hands it to Crews. Riddle raises his arm while Crews holds up the title with his other hand. They exit the ring to boos. The boos get louder as Mulligan gets in the ring and stomps on Oliver then applies the claw! Mulligan wrenches the claw while the Ref is trying to stop him. Finally more officials run in to stop this. Mulligan puts his boot on Oliver's chest and holds his fist up. 

US Tag Team Title Bout

The Awesome Twosome (C) vs. Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley

The recent title change in Wheeling is announced to the crowd. These two teams go back and forth for 20 minutes, using a variety of tag team maneuvers. Johnson and Cooley hit double hip tosses, double dropkicks and a double suplex. Awesome Twosome pulled out some double body slams and a double reverse Russian leg sweep. At the 20 minute mark, Johnson and Cooley swing Fernandez to the ropes and hit a double clothesline. Cooley covers 1..2..Rude breaks it up. Cooley and Fernandez get up and Fernandez Ear claps Cooley then swings him into the corner where Rude nails him with a forearm blast. Rude comes in and hits consecutive delayed backbreakers on Cooley then tags in Fernandez. Rude stands in the corner and Fernandez gets on his shoulders and crashes down with a knee drop 1..2..Johnson runs in with a jumping elbow drop. Rude comes in and fights with Johnson. Fernandez tries to suplex Cooley but Cooley blocks it and suplexes Fernandez back. Rude rakes Johnson's eyes and charges at Cooley. Cooley and Rude fight through the ropes. Johnson and Fernandez are fighting inside the ring. Cooley and Fernandez are the legal men. After more fighting the Ref signals for the bell. A Double Disqualification. The bell keeps ringing but the teams keep fighting. 

Mid Atlantic Title Bout

'Mr. Wonderful' Paul Orndorff (C) vs. 'Maniac' Mark Lewin

No surprise as the first few minutes is an all out slugfest. As they brawl on the outside, Lewin bearhugs Orndorff and rams him against the apron. Lewin then slams Orndorff's head on a table. The fans boo as Lewin gives them a demonic look. Lewin grabs Orndorff by the hair and hurls him in the ring. Lewin body slams Orndorff then chokes him with his boot. Lewin swings Orndorff to the ropes and bends down but Orndorff stops and drops an elbow on Lewin's head. Lewin wobbles, Orndorff grabs him and hits a belly to belly suplex. Orndorff regroups. Lewin staggers up and Orndorff scoop slams him, hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and drops a double axehandle 1..2..Kick out. Orndorff swings Lewin to the ropes and a bionic elbow sends Lewin to the outside. Orndorff goes out after him. Orndorff grabs Lewin and heads towards the post but Lewin rakes Orndorff's back and gouges the eyes and body slams Orndorff on the concrete! Lewin hurls Orndorff in the ring. Lewin regroups and grabs a chair. The Ref goes out and warns him but Lewin threatens the Ref with the chair. Lewin slides the chair in the ring. Lewin gets in and picks up the chair. Orndorff gets up and swings off the ropes. Lewin turns around and holds the chair up, Orndorff hits the chair with a running high knee! The chair smacks Lewin on the head. Orndorff grabs Lewin and hits the short arm clothesline. The crowd roars as Orndorff gives the signal. Orndorff hoists Lewin up and crashes him down with the Piledriver 1..2..3!!! The crowd explodes! The Ref hands Orndorff the Mid Atlantic title and Orndorff, (favoring his back) raises the title high to the cheering crowd. 

Really enjoyed the spot show you put together and the big names come out in droves. Mulligan looks good... I think that the Iron Sheik has one more run left in him at this point, the Awesome Twosome is fantastic and I would like to see them and the Rock N Roll along with the Road Warriors down the line. Then we see Orndorff... a true star and perhaps the biggest name in MACW outside of Dibiase...or has he surpassed him?

Casey and Sharpe with good wins.  Guys like Mulligan are great to do squashes with.  They can always get some character work in to spice things up.  SBS vs. the Cobra is an awesome workrate match.  Kirchner vs. the Caspian Empire by himself is a nice reprise of the earlier tag feud.  More Mulligan and Oliver.  Please.  Oliver as a take-no-nonsense babyface is pretty awesome.  I hope he gets a good run in MACW.  Crews continues to shine as Riddle's crown jewel.  Johnson and Cooley trying valiantly to regain their titles helps keep them over.  Orndorff has been on such a huge roll.  I wonder if his back will become a target and give him some fan sympathy.

MACW @ WTBS Studios TV Aired 8-9-86

Footage from Wheeling WV is shown of The Awesome Twosome defeating Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley for the US Tag Team Titles.

Footage from Greensboro is shown of the wild double countout finish in the Dibiase/Snuka US Title Bout

Schiavone:  Hello again everybody and welcome to another edition of Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling. With me as always is David Crockett. Well David, new United States tag team champions.

Crockett: That's right Tony. The Awesome Twosome end the incredible reign of Rocky Johnson and Wendell Cooley. We will see the new champs in action today. Also in action will be Canadian International Champ Don 'The Pride' of Kernodle, Sweet Brown Sugar, Rip Oliver, The Great Gama, The Southern Boys, Polynesian Power, Mike Sharpe, and our main event will be Bull Gantner taking on the Iron Sheik. I'm sure Alexis Smirnoff will be close by. 

Schiavone: A great night of action. We will also be hearing from Television Champ, Tommy Rich, Rob Fuller, Paul Jones, Bad News Brown, Rock Riddle and his agency. I understand JJ Dillon will be here today with a major announcement. Fans, before we get to our opening match, we have some pre recorded comments from the United States Champion, the Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase. 

A Limo is parked, the chauffer walks around and opens the door and Dibiase walks out.

Dibiase: (laughs) Do you peons know what has made me the Million Dollar Man? Wise investments and big returns. I'm here to announce that I have sold the contract of King Kong Bundy-for a vast amount of money, might I add- to another brilliant business man, Skandor Akbar. Ahhhh, the poor get poorer and the Million Dollar Man gets richer. (Laughs) Speaking of wise investments, as you know my clients Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez are now the US tag team champions. Wow! Their stock just went way up! (Laughs) Next item, I hear Bad News Brown has accused me of orchestrating the recent attack on him at the hands of The Awesome Twosome. (smiles and pauses) Of course I did you fool! King Kong Bundy was a huge investment of mine and I had to make sure that investment was protected for my deal with Akbar. I also hear Brown wants a shot at me and my US title. Brown! Just like these minimum wage working stiffs out here, you're going to have to fight and earn your shot. Last item on the agenda is that barefoot idiot Fly. We have unfinished business Fly and the next time we meet for MY United States Title, I'm putting you to sleep with the Million Dollar Dream! (Laughs) 

Back in the Studio

Schiavone: Oh my, I cant believe that blockbuster announcement by the Million Dollar Man. I have to give him credit, he is a shrewd business man and must of made a fortune off of Bundy. It looks like a lot of people are standing in line for a shot at Dibiase and some might get that chance this weekend as he will be involved in a gigantic 10 man tag match. Fans, lets go to the ring. 

Sweet Brown Sugar vs. Gary Williams 

Sugar back drops Williams then follows with a flying headscissors. Sugar body slams Williams then gets on the top turnbuckle. Williams staggers up and Sugar hits him with a beautiful Missile dropkick for the pin! Sugar goes out and slaps hands with the fans. 

Sugar cuts a promo and says he's ecstatic for his shot at the NWA National Title this weekend. He says he's earned this shot and is ready to win that title. 

Commercial Break

Southern Boys vs. Tim Straw and Alex Portman

Southern Boys are non stop during this match. They put a double arm bar and twist on Portman then double chop him down. Eventually Straw comes in and Smothers puts him down with a cross chop. Smothers tags in Armstrong (Who goes to the top turnbuckle) Smothers hoists Straw up and Armstrong nails him with a flying drop kick from the top rope to get the pin! 

Crockett: Man, those Southern Boys are exciting to watch. I'm expecting big things from them. Fans, please welcome out the Television Champion, Tommy 'Wildfire' Rich.

Fans explode as Rich comes out with his TV title on his shoulder. Rich still looks a little banged up. 

Crockett: Tommy, you have had a rough couple weeks. First you suffer a brutal attack at the hands of Mad Dog Buzz Sawyer, then against Doctors orders you went up to Lutte to defend your TV title. That showed a lot of guts Tommy. 

Rich: You know David, I knew it was only a matter of time before Buzz and I crossed paths again and here we are. Buzz gave me one hell of a beating. Busted my head open and cracked some ribs. I only had a couple days to rest before heading up to Lutte. David, that's what a champion does, he defends his title, no matter what, day in and day out. That's the kind of champion I want to be and that's exactly what I'm going to do. 

Crockett: This would be the perfect time to announce that Mid Atlantic Wrestling will be heading into Nashville next week for a big card at the Fairgrounds. Nashville is a place you know well and you'll be defending your title that night. 

Rich: That's right David. I might not be one hundred percent but that don't matter because I still plan on remaining Television champ. As for you Buzz Sawyer! You didn't finish the job son! When your suspension is lifted, I'll be hear waiting for you boy and then you're going to wish you never stepped foot here in Mid Atlantic! 

Rich leaves as the fans cheer.

Crockett: Ok, Television Champ Wildfire Tommy Rich! We'll be back

Commercial Break

Canadian International Champ Don 'The Pride Of' Kernodle vs. Dave Penson

Don gets tremendous heat as he waves his Pride of Kernodle flag (With his face on it) to the crowd. Don snap mares Penson over and nails him with a knee to the back. He keeps his knee on the back and pulls Penson's head back. Kernodle vertical suplexes Penson then hits a reverse Neckbreaker for the pin! The fans boo as Kernodle waves his flag. 

Kernodle cuts a promo and says his flag has more power and significance than Kirchner's little American Flag because the Pride of Kernodle flag represents two countries. He says he's made history by single handily uniting two countries. He says Kirchner's name will only show up in the history books as loses to Kernodle.

The Great Gama vs. Jay Halpern  

Gama swings Jay into the turnbuckle and hits him with several forearms to the chest. Gama hip tosses Jay and follows with a drop kick. Gama executes a backbreaker then applies the Boston Crab and gets the submission victory!

Gama cuts a promo and says he's looking forward to outwrestling Brad Rheingans again. He says Brad is real tough when attacking from behind but not so tough face to face.

Commercial Break

Polynesian Power vs. Lou Simms and Roger Murphy 

Polynesian Power double body slam Murphy, swing off the ropes and crash down with a double headbutt. Later on, Simms gets chopped by Sakalia. Sakalia holds his arms while Tui comes off the top rope with a fist to the head. Tui tags in Sakalia. Sakalia hoists Simms up and crashes back with the Samoan Drop and tags in Tui. Tui fly's off the top rope with an elbow drop and gets the pin! Tui and Sakalia bump fists and hug as the fans cheer. The cheers turn to boos as The Assassins storm the ring and nail Polynesian Power from behind! They kick away on Polynesian Power. Cobra hits an inverted piledriver on Tui while Kazuo executes a brainbuster on Sakalia. Cobra gets on the top rope and hits a Senton on Tui. Kazuo drops several knees on Sakalia while Cobra goes to the top turnbuckle. Cobra crashes down with a Senton on Sakalia! The Assassin and Flame guide the Assassins out of the ring while officials run in. They head to the podium. 

Schiavone: Just what was the meaning of that?

Assassin: You see those masks the Assassins are wearing? Those masks represent a tradition in wrestling. The Cobra and Kazuo are living up to that tradition. That was a message, plain and simple. The Assassins are going to destroy any team that stands in their way. Polynesian Power..stay out of our way. Now, as for that punk DJ Peterson. Yea, you pulled off a couple fluke wins against The Flame, big deal. Why don't you put that luck to the test? This weekend, you and The Flame, winner take all, loser leaves Mid Atlantic. (The Flame is nodding his head and sticks a fist up) Let's see if you got the guts, punk. 

The masked stable leaves.

Schiavone: Oh my, pretty big challenge. We'll find DJ Peterson and get his response later on. As for the Assassins, I don't think Polynesian Power is going to let this slide. We'll be back. 

Commercial Break

Mike Sharpe vs. Todd Rooney

Sharpe eye gouges and hits Rooney with several hard forearms. Sharpe body slams Rooney, hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and drops an elbow to get the pin! Sharpe taunts the fans and holds up both arms in victory.

Crockett: Impressive win for Mike Sharpe. Fans, with me right now is Bad News Brown. Well Bad News, your assumptions were correct. Dibiase did in fact orchestrate that attack.

Brown: Big surprise! The real reason why Fat Bundy is gone is because I ran him out of here! Dibiase! I don't care who you put in my way, it don't matter one bit because it all ends the same for you, me knocking you out with the Ghetto Blaster and taking your pride and title! Dibiase knows he cant hang with me in a fight so he thinks somebody else will do his dirty work. Dibiase! Aint nobody gonna beat me in a fight and that's bad news for them and you!

Crockett: I wouldn't want to be Dibiase or anyone he sends after Bad News Brown for that matter.  

Commercial Break

Rip Oliver vs. Bill Richards

Paul Jones is at the podium while Oliver is wrestling. Paul is telling Tony Schiavone that Mulligan is going to destroy Oliver in Nashville next week. Oliver swings Richards to the ropes and back drops him. Oliver hops up on the 2nd turnbuckle and hits a flying clothesline to get the pin! The fans cheer as Oliver gets his ring jacket and pulls something out and heads to the podium to confront Jones.

Schiavone: Easy gentlemen, easy.

Jones: You better go home and get plenty of rest Oliver because you're in for the beating of your life next weekend. 

Oliver: No doubt about it, next week in Nashville, Mulligan and I are going to fight. But let's see what kind of fighter your man is. Lets see if he can back up all your talk. In my hand, I have a revised contract for that match. Mulligan and myself, inside a steel cage! No interference, one on one, man to man. 

Jones steps back and is at a lost for words.

Oliver: What's the matter Jones, you and Mulligan yellow?

Jones: (Red faced with anger) Gimmie that contract! You think we're scared? Then you're a bigger idiot than I thought. And believe me Oliver, you're an idiot. This is a dream come true because now Mulligan can finish you off just like he finished off that dirt bag Jimmy Valiant. Remember him? The guy you really let down. I don't know how you can live with yourself. 

Jones signs the contract then throws the pen at a smiling Oliver. Jones continues to berate Oliver while Tony is looking over the contract. 

Schiavone: Wait a minute Paul. Did you read this part of the contract? 

Jones: What are you talking about?

Schiavone: It says here that if Oliver wins the match, he gets 5 minutes in the cage with you. 

Oliver:(huge smile) See you soon Paul.

Jones just about passes out as he lays his head on the podium. 

Schiavone: (Smiling) Fans, we'll be back 

Commercial Break

Highlights are shown of various fights between Paul Orndorff and Tiger Jeet Singh

Crockett: Fans, the rivalry between Orndorff and Singh has really gone to another level. Well, this weekend Mr. Wonderful will once again defend his Mid Atlantic Title against Tiger Jeet Singh. You don't want to miss that one. Trust me. Ok,  lets take a look at some footage from Greensboro. 

Footage from Greensboro is shown of Austin Idol defeating Rob Fuller in a Lights Out Match. 

Crockett: Fans, with me right now is Rob Fuller. Rob you don't look so well. 

Fuller: (Bandage on forehead) You know Tony Schiavone, this last week I've been doing a lot of thinking. I figure it's time to really make my mark here in Mid Atlantic. It's time to clean house and get rid of all the no good cheat'n bottom feeders. I will say, Idol, you got the best of old Rob Fuller. (Pauses and puts his cigar in his mouth) Yep, you really got the best of me. 

Fuller walks off, leaving a puzzled Crockett behind. 

US Tag Team Champions The Awesome Twosome vs. Carl Hillman and Vic DeMarco

The champs storm the ring and hurl Hillman out of there. Fernandez swings DeMarco to the ropes and hits the flying forearm. Rude follows with the Rude Awakening and gets the pin! They hold up their US titles high to the booing crowd and head to the podium. 

Rude: I want to say right now that The Awesome Twosome are equal opportunity champions. We'll defend against anybody and everybody but make no mistake about it, you come knocking on our door and you're in for a real rude awakening! Tell them Manny.

Fernandez: The Awesome Twosome are the champs and we're the talk of the town. Nobody can stop us Daddy! We're what its all about and any team who wants to come along for the ride well get ready to crash Daddy! 

They put the titles on their shoulders and walk out to boos. 

Schiavone: Lot of intensity from the new champs. Fans, here with me now is Dynamite DJ Peterson. DJ, you heard the challenge earlier by The Assassin and Flame. Your response?

DJ: The Assassin and Flame call me lucky. Luck is when skill meets opportunity. I have the wrestling skill and twice I took the opportunity and won the matches. I'll be more than happy to put my skills to the test again. Assassin! Flame! I accept the challenge! 

The fans pop as DJ pumps his fists to them. 

Commercial Break

Crockett: Fans, before we to a featured bout, joining me is Rock Riddle and his agency.

Riddle walks out in a colorful suit while Crews and the Fabulous Blondes all come out wearing sunglasses and glittered vests. 

Riddle: Davey Baby has it been a week already? The road just isn't the same without you. So much is happening in the Agency so lets get this party started. This weekend my Fabulous Blondes get right back in contention when they beat those rejects from a bad western movie, the Renegade Divas. (Wells and Timbs laugh and high five) Now, my main man the NWA National Champion,  Blonde Bomber Arthur W. Crews (Crews steps forward and polishes his belt for the camera) will be defending his prestigious title against that pesky Sour Brown Sugar. 

Crews: You know, every since winning this National Title, yours truly has been on a hot streak of success baby. There's no way that second rate chump Sour Sugar is going to beat me. Rock, this title stays in the Agency. After that, Rock and I head to beautiful Puerto Rico for a well deserved vacation.

Riddle: Well deserved is right. Oh and Davey Baby, you mentioned a man you said was the true Blonde Bomber. What was his name again?

Crockett: (Not amused) Ray Stevens

Riddle: (Smiles and pats David on the back) That's it! Ok, I'll do some research and get back to you. But just remember Davey Baby, Arthur W. Crews is the one and only Blonde Bomber. 

The Agency leaves.

Crockett: (pauses) Fans, back to the ring.

Bull Gantner vs. The Iron Sheik w/Alexis Smirnoff

The Caspian Empire are really taunting the fans and waving their flags. Bull charges the ring. Caspian Empire turns around and Bull double clotheslines them as the bell rings. Bull hurls Smirnoff out of the ring. Bull swings Sheik to the ropes and Gorilla Presses him. He presses Sheik several times then slams him down. The crowd goes wild as Bull is pumped up and flexes. Smirnoff runs in and gives Bull a high knee to the back. The Ref signals for the Disqualification! Smirnoff stomps away and body slams Bull. The fans start chanting Bull! Bull! Bull! Bull starts to get up and fires some shots on Smirnoff but Sheik loads his boot and stomps on Bull. They double team Bull, then Smirnoff goes out and grabs a chair. Smirnoff starts hitting Bull's back with the chair. Smirnoff goes to the top rope while Sheik puts the chair on Bull's back. Smirnoff crashes down with a knee drop on the chair. Sheik stomps on Bull's back then applies the Camel Clutch! Finally other wrestlers from the back hit the ring to stop this madness. 

Commercial Break

Schiavone: Fans, Bull Gantner had to be stretchered out of here. Hopefully we'll get an update on his condition soon. Well fans, before we go, my guest right now is JJ Dillon. JJ it's been a little while. I understand you have a big announcement to make.

JJ: Tony Schiavone, for the last few weeks I've been working on signing a new client. And I've done it! Now, this man doesn't need guidance, what this man needs is opportunity and I'm the man who can provide that for him. Tony Schiavone, please welcome out my newest client and prized possession... Tony 'Simply the Best' St. Clair! 

Schiavone: What! Oh my, you've got to be kidding me. I don't believe this.

St. Clair walks out in a custom made suit and smiling.

JJ: (Laughs) Believe it Schiavone! Let me take a moment and run down this man's impeccable wrestling resume. This man was the longest reigning British Heavyweight Champion in history. Then he comes here and what does he do? He outwrestles the supreme wrestling machine Billy Robinson. What does he do next? He goes toe to toe with the most brutal man in wrestling, Tiger Jeet Singh. And what does he get? Nothing! Not one time was he offered a title shot. That is outrageous and down right ludicrous. Well, that changes right now. Mr. St. Clair, I promised you opportunity and I got you just that. Next week in Nashville, you get a TV title match with Tommy Rich.

St. Clair: (Smiles and shakes JJ's hand) You see Tony Schiavone, that's exactly why I came to Mid Atlantic, to win titles. Mr. Dillon.

JJ: Please, call me JJ from now on.

St. Clair: I cant thank you enough JJ. You truly are the first man here in Mid Atlantic to show me the proper respect that I deserve. To show my gratitude, I'm going to beat that wanker Tommy Rich and bring us the Television championship. 

JJ: Mr. St. Clair.

St. Clair: (Smiles) Ah, JJ, please, call me Tony or Simply the Best.

JJ: (Smiles) I love this guy.

They leave to boos.

Schiavone: Unbelievable. I still cant believe that. Fans, we'll see you next week. 

I agree that it's great to see DiBiase and Orndorff getting a real run as top guys, and I also think it's great how many really good, underrated pro wrestlers are getting a solid run in MACW in this project: Kernodle, Gama, Cooley, Fernandez, Oliver... it's kind of heart-warming to see all those guys being used so well here.