Pro Wrestling Only

Fact Or Fiction II: The Return Of The Long Forgotten Answer

Guest HTQ

Guest The Original HTQ

The first incarnation of this thread got over well, so let's see if we can get it going again with all new trivia. Or at least forgotten trivia.

Here's one:

In the Pena obit in the WON, Meltzer suggests that Vince got the idea for the replacement Diesel, Razor, and Double J from Pena putting new people in the gimmicks he owned in AAA. Now there was a deal between the two in place, but I have a hard time believing Vince would borrow an idea from a Mexican fed he clearly felt was below him.

Just watching the Hogan DVD, and during the main event at WM 6 Jesse Ventura is definitely acting like a face on commentary.  He actually compliments Hogan and Warrior several times during the match.  No rants against Hogan.  No bald jokes. No calling Warrior an idiot. Was this a start of a face turn for Jesse or was it an isolated incident where Vince wanted the match to be the focus?

Guest The Original HTQ

I imagine it was because Vince wanted the focus to be on the match, given that it was meant to see Warrior being made the new top guy in the company.

One line I swear I heard watching WMVI live on closed circuit but have never heard on tape since:

[Hogan has Warrior in a front facelock]

Gorilla:  "What a punishing hold this is."

Jesse:  "Certainly.  Ask Richard Belzer."

Did I imagine Ventura saying that?

Guest The Original HTQ

Anyways, on the Piper DVD, Piper mentions that he was originally planned to face OJ Simpson at WrestleMania XII. Please tell me that's all false. Please?

Ok, I'll tell you it was false.

It wasn't, but you wanted me to tell you it was so bad.

Guest The Original HTQ

There isn't a whole lot to tell because the idea was dropped almost right away, but Vince had the beyond crazy idea of OJ wrestling Roddy Pipper at Wrestlemania XII. He got talked out of it very quickly.

• 1 month later...

This thread deserves a bump, and the latest episode of Legends of Wrestling on 24/7 prompted a question:

Andre was one of the subjects, and once again they did the old "we didn't know if Andre would go along with the match" routine.

For someone as universally loved and respected in the business as Andre was, why do they keep pushing the idea that he may have pulled a shoot on the biggest show in the history of the business? It seems like such an insult to the guy to keep suggesting he would be unprofessional like that.

Every non-WWE version of the story I've heard is the only concern was if Andre's back was in good enough shape, not that he would suddenly decide to go off script mid-match.

Why does WWE use that yellow and blue version of the AWA logo? I don't remember the AWA ever using that.

AFAIK, they simply wanted to "modernize" or "WWE-ize" the AWA logo. No, that logo never existed before. I guess they wanted a logo that simply said "AWA" and "American Wrestling Association", and didn't include the graphic of the two wrestlers on it.