Pro Wrestling Only

Any questions I should ask Jerry Jarrett?

Loss

I want to note that I plan on using the questions submitted in the other thread for the show next week too, those won't be forgotten! My pitch to Charles is basically no one alive besides Vince has seen as much as Jerry and there's no smarter community than here so let's make some magic together. Heck, we can ask him what he heard about Dory Funk's supposed farm accident when it was time for him to lose the NWA title as one random example, the man lived through so much history. 

If Lawler actually got the NWA or AWA World Championship in the early 80s (possibly as late as 85), how would that have changed the landscape for Memphis? What adjustments would Jerry have made with the week to week booking? Would the territory have been as sustainable (for as long) without Lawler there on such a consistent basis?

Would Jerry have assumed the full responsibility and accountability for booking year around without Lawler there? Would he try to get a different secondary booker to relieve him every six months? If so, who? Dundee? Someone else? And how would he entice them to come in/come back for the gig?

This might have already been covered on the podcast - I'm still going through them - but what was Jerry Jarrett's five-year plan if he actually had to take over the WWF from Vince McMahon? (If five-year is too broad, pick a different number.)

Some specific questions from that:

- Would he have tried to make Jerry Lawler a national draw and WWF World Champion? Lawler obviously created magic in Memphis, so I'm wondering if Jerry Jarrett would've tried to recreate that on a grand scale.

- How would Jerry's son Jeff have figured in?

- Would Brian Christopher have been brought in with a more serious character and push?

- What other Memphis mainstays would have been used?

I can ask but I'm guessing he'd look at it completely differently. Memphis was run on a tight budget and he used talent that worked cheap more than he did use talent that he thought was the best in the business. He had observations around this time on Hogan and Savage still having fuel in the tank that Vince dismissed out of hand that turned out to be very much true, for example.

Yeah. I could definitely see him going back to Hulk, given the chance. He's even discussed his desire to make Hogan (and Sid) the centerpiece for WCW as late as 2000, when they contacted him about coming in to turn things around.

Macho Man is a fascinating choice to think about though. He's not far removed from Hulk in terms of mainstream popularity and acknowledgment, so he brings the recognition you want in a main event attraction. I could see Jerry comfortably settling on Savage as an alternative if Hogan wouldn't be sticking around.

On the other hand - both Patterson and Prichard (I know, I know) have discussed Jerry originally pushing for Jeff to be brought into the WWF as a baby face. I could go for hearing a bit more about his aspirations or ideas of that. Jeff was great at times as the fiery baby face in Memphis, but I'm not so sure about how the act would function within the WWF and its New Generation trappings.

Jeff offering some mid-card support at the IC level (or possibly as part of a dynamic tag team) to Hulk or Randy up top sounds like something Jerry might push for, but that's purely speculation.

If there's any right way to approach the subject though, it could be interesting to hear his thoughts. Hell, he may just state the obvious and say he never expected to have much freedom in the big picture decision making process, regardless of what happened. What was it Watts claimed when he packed up and left? There's only room for one titan in Titan Sports?

2 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

Hell, he may just state the obvious and say he never expected to have much freedom in the big picture decision making process, regardless of what happened. What was it Watts claimed when he packed up and left? There's only room for one titan in Titan Sports?

But would that still apply if Vince went to prison? Wouldn't Jerry then become the de-facto boss? I think Shane and definitely Stephanie were still too young at that point.

There are lines of communication to & from prison. Realistically, yes. Vince wouldn't be available to rule with an iron fist. But I also think it's pretty much a pipe dream to even imagine a world where Vince doesn't find a way to remain in control. He had built-in, bought & paid for loyalty from guys like Bruce and Pat.

But the idea is that he respected Jerry's work in Memphis and wanted to bring him into the fold as a result. Vince didn't become king by being the absolute best at everything. He became king by surrounding himself with the best and hiring all the best around him.

Jerry himself has talked about it being a poor fit. He grew homesick. On the other end, Bruce and Pat were ultra defensive of their spots from day one. Stir that all together, and it just wasn't going to work long-term.

But (and I can't recall if it was Jerry's RF video or the Kayfabe Commentaries release with Sean Oliver) Jerry has also stated that he felt like Vince probably turned to him, because McMahon knew Jarrett wouldn't try to take over his company while he was locked up. Because Jerry was up front about being happy and comfortable in getting out of the wrestling business.