Pro Wrestling Only

[2018-08-18-WWE-NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV] Tommaso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano (Last Man Standing)

Edwin

• GSR changed the title to [2018-08-18-WWE-NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV] Tommaso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano (Last Man Standing Match)

This was a very good spot fest of a match, so I won't take that away from them. It really feels like this feud has become such a parody of itself at this point. The NOLA match was the perfect way to end this feud, but then it kept going, and going, and going for no other discernable reason than to just milk this feud for all it's worth. So because of that I had almost zero emotional investment in this match. Aside from that absolutely terrible "my turn your turn" sequence, this was a great weapons match with lots of destruction. The stupid finish at the end is also quite hilarious too. Praise this feud all you want, the udder is already dry at this point from my perspective, ****1/2.

10 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Not trying to take a jab or anything, but why don't you call out when these sequences occur in New Japan matches?

Because most of the time when it happens in Japan, it looks good. Gargano and Ciampa's sequence was painfully awkward and was the type of stuff you could see at your local indie. I'd probably be more leniant to someone like O'Reilly or Strong because their style is very physical compared to Gargano and Ciampa who's interpretation of "fighting spirit" is spamming Germans and Superkicks. Even Cole and Ricochet did the same sequence earlier in the night (which was also kind of awkward but didn't feel out of place) and it looked better. That sequence is also another problem that I kind of have with this feud. Neither guy has the ability to actually go full violence because they're both more concerned with hitting their spots.

If the rumors of the Chicago match originally meant to be a Last Man Standing are true then this felt like the leftovers of that hypothetical match mixed with some new spots to try and keep it fresh. No, it's not at the same quality as the first two...but the first two were (in my opinion) five star classics and some of the best of the year so we're not talking about anything horrible here. I can understand why people have soured on it with three matches at back-to-back-to-back Takeovers but I'm willing to offer it a fair amount of leeway for the simple reason that as far as anyone can tell: this was not the original plan. Lots to like here including the pile on spot, the DDT onto the hardwood callback, and even how Gargano's able to keep up the energy in the opening sequences to really sell the hate after a full year of feuding. Are there drawbacks? Sure. Ciampa's attempt a headlock heel spot didn't really work, the crowd weren't as invested, and diminishing returns are a real problem. Otherwise though, I thought this was still excellent wrestling, a brutal spectacle, and just a whole lot of fun. Gargano continues to be probably the best big match worker of the year. 

****1/2

I agree on the critisms their first match was while not for me a perfect blow off to the feud.This felt like they were streaching the feud and the first match was blow off reverse order i guess. Anyway this had problems like having no true sense of danger hatred etc this felt like they were hitting moves insted of brutalising each other like the feud is supposed to tell us they hate each other. Like punch the fuck out of each other like you act like you hate each other if you truely do. This also had no blood which made the match suffer.the crowd was not into this that much either. This didnt sort out anything and the feud is dragging they had some good moments sequences stuff etc. The finish sucked tho and made johhny look like a complete goof a fool etc. And they countinue to streach the feud when the first match was the perfect blowoff.the downtime between the spots was not good either.it made them unable to capture the violence it was while not it the tropes as other lms matches still not great 3/34 stars for all the good stuff they did in this. some brutal stuff

I think I actually hated this, which is absurd.

Black getting injured really threw a wrench into what could actually be something special, instead we got a souless, bland, bootleg version of what made the first two matches good. 

Spots designed to get the crowd got mild reactions. Finishers used three times in a row to little fanfare and little payoff, and the final spot was ridiculous and cements Gargano (with his awful, awful darkside version of his attire) as this major idiot. The fact that he legit fucked his knee makes it even worse.

One of the worst Takeover matches in forever.

I didn't think this was actively bad, but it is pretty easily my least favorite of their three.  I have said it before, but I am not quite as high on Gargano as some people. That isn't saying much. I think he is really great, but he has some tendencies that don't resonate with me as much. This match was a lot of Gargano. A lot of pace.  A little too heavy handed on the drama (beating you over the head with parts of it). Now... that isn't to say that I didn't like this. I love a last man standing match and this had some elements, some moments I really love. I loved the finish. I loved Ciampa burying Gargano. I loved some of the brutality and how stiff they get in places.  It forwards the narrative that Gargano might be better that Ciampa physically, but Ciampa has already beaten him mentally. It did a fair job living up to the first two in terms of physically and serving as a final (I hope, at least for now) chapter to a feud that was probably unsustainable.  However, the match caps at very good to me because it is a mixed bag. It had great moments/parts, but it also annoyed me in places. **** or ****1/4

Really didn't like this at all. There was ten minutes of just non stop spots where they predictably got up every time (due to the stipulation) and it just got tiresome very quickly. Then there was a jarring 2 minute headlock spot IN A BLOOD FEUD. Then back to the spots where there was no real possibility of the match ending. End that ending. Lol. 

No substance, no build to the big bumps. Faux hatred. Nothing to this match. Bad ending. BAD.

• GSR changed the title to [2018-08-18-WWE-NXT Takeover: Brooklyn IV] Tommaso Ciampa vs Johnny Gargano (Last Man Standing)