Pro Wrestling Only

Backlash thread

Loss

This ECW is NOT going to be like the original version. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH FANS TO SUPPORT THAT VERSION OF ECW. ECW WENT OUT OF BUSINESS. It's going to be a WWE show with WWE booking and WWE stars. GET OVER IT.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Vince winning the ECW title has people making doomsday predictions and talking about how it will destroy the company in various places, which humors me because WWE is a company that has done far worse things in the past five years that haven't killed them, so why would this?

Also, Cena winning was perfect in setting up a rematch with Michaels. People who in one breath are buying PPVs to see him lose and are unable to understand why he's holding the title forever in the other breath don't realize how foolish they seem.

I also thought the booking last night for most of the matches was spot on. MVP loses again? Awesome. It should take new guys a long time to beat former world champions, and he's being so protected in losing that I think he's getting far more out of it than he would have had he won. Hardyz going over and staying champs until they've built up a new team that people perceive as stars is also a good move.

Most of the top programs appear to have some steam right now, so I like that they're letting them keep going as long as the feud has interest, instead of killing them prematurely in the interest of moving on.

This good will toward WWE will probably end when HHH comes back and starts beating everyone, but right now, they appear to be on quite the roll.

I watched Benoit vs MVP and thought it was fantastic. It was probably their best match yet and it still managed to set themselves up for even a greater match down the road. It played off the previous stuff and managed to keep the story going. This is going to put MVP over big.

There can be rebellions by the fans if something is given to someone too easily and they don't work for it. I know I don't like it at all. This will make MVP appear that he has earned his stripes.

WP -- A big MVP mark.

Now it's time for the Undertaker vs Batista.

Also, Cena winning was perfect in setting up a rematch with Michaels. People who in one breath are buying PPVs to see him lose and are unable to understand why he's holding the title forever in the other breath don't realize how foolish they seem.

Are people really buying PPVs to see him lose though? Most B show PPVs draw roughly the same number of buys (220,000 to 250,000) whether he's on the card or not unless the card is really weak like December to Dismember or is boosted by having a major gimmick match on the card. And this is at a time when North American PPV business is at the lowest point they've been at for years. I don't think this PPV will be any different because it was obvious that this show was a transitionary one where no major feuds would be blown off and thus was skippable.

I thought this was a very good event. Every match was at least good and no real stupid finishes or run ins. That alone makes it better than TNA's Lockdown.

I thought this was the year of HBK and Taker but after MVP/Benoit, This is the year of MVP. I am amazed at how much he has grown since his deubt. That match was outstanding. MVP brings something out of Benoit that I haven't seen since his fight with Regal and Finlay.

The Hardyz match was good with some good tag team wrestling. I like Cade and Murdoch as they are a well worked team. I hope they continue the feud. However, before the year is over, I hope they do London/Kendrick vs Hardyz.

The 3 main events were just worked beautifuly. The worst match was probably the ECW one but even that was decent. I love Vince being champion and seeing all the marks bitch and moan about it. Anybody is a better champion than Bobby Lashley. The 4 way was also good and I loved the finish. Cena winning doesn't bother me but I hope he loses the title before too long. Taker/Batista was MOTN again. Undertaker just brings the best out of Batista like HHH. I loved the table spot and the finish.

Hey Loss, What did you think of Melina/Mickie? I thought that was the sleeper match of the show. Both work well together and did some inovative spots. Best match since Trish left.

The only disappointment was not seeing Kennedy. I kinda wish he beat Cena after the 4 way but it's ok.

Vince winning the ECW title gave us Gangsta Mack Vince as seen on RAW, which makes it A+ in my book.

I think people are finally accepting that the current ECW is not going to be the old ECW on a bigger budget. Hell, the promos of the ECW Originals going on about Vince killing the old company and rebuilding it the way he wants it pretty much drive that point home.

I would have rather ECW stayed dead if we're getting Vince McMahon: ECW World Champion out of it.

Toning it down into WWECW was one thing. Pissing on the entire legacy of ECW for a Vince McMahon mind fuck ego trip is another.

Yeah, I'm fucking bitter.

The angle with the originals has some potential, so I won't say this is going to kill WWE or anything, but quite frankly, the history of ECW and the old World Championship Wrestling shows are the only reason I don't shitcan 24/7 right now. I really don't feel comfortable giving Vince any of my money after that.

Like Vince is worse than having Justin Credible as your champion.

Ouch. Point taken.

Wait, there are people seriously outraged over Vince McMahon "winning" the ECW title? Fuck Heyman damn sure would have done the same thing if he could have and the "original" ECW fans would have eaten it up.

As an "original" ECW fan, yeah I'm outraged. I was grudgingly able to accept that I wasn't going to get the ECW I wanted (and there's enough good there that I was doing a good job of tolerating it), but fuck, they released guys that would have been better suited for the ECW Title than Vince McMahon. But at least he's not Justin Credible.

I actually think Vince as champion is something Paul would have done if he could have. At the height of the "fuck the WWF" angle, when an announcer and second rate manager came in and buried the companies stars, don't you think that Paul would have loved to get Vince? Vince as champ would have been awesome then and it's awesome now.

I think Vince with a stable of cartoonish WWF gimmick guys from the past (or developmental guys playing those same parts) going against ECW originals could be fun. Imagine Vince making a main event on ECW TV of Doink the Clown against The Goon while the Originals are forced to watch and are unable to do anything about it.

Kind of an offshoot of what was being discussed with complaints about this not being the original ECW, but I really, really hate Money In The Bank as an annual thing, mainly because after *every single TV show*, you have people bitching about Kennedy not cashing in. And these people go on and on for a year.

It's weird that people seem so into the idea of making the World title like the 24/7 hardcore title, which was a comedic midcard belt. How come people seem to think the way to go with it is to have the challenger just show up after another match, instead of setting forth a challenge on a specific date so it can be hyped up? Should world title matches really be impromptu, even if it is a sneaky heel trying to get the belt?

Should world title matches really be impromptu, even if it is a sneaky heel trying to get the belt?

On a regular basis? Hell no.

Once in a great while, when it's effective in shaking things up? Absolutely.

I think Kennedy stating that he's going to wait until WM 24 to cash in his title shot is pretty stupid. Now instead of having everyone wondering week after week whether or not he'll do it, it's known that it's not going to be until a show that's nearly a year away.

Rob Van Dam last year was the best way to do it. A guy using the stipulation to get a shot at his maximum advantage. I do think they should retire the concept after this year, partly because ladder matches in general are overexposed at this point.

They should have stopped the Money in the Bank gimmick after two, because no one will ever live up to Edge's perfect cash-in after an Elimination Chamber match. That might have been the best timed angle in years. Just when the crowd was starting to grumble that Cena defended the belt again, the place came unglued for Edge's theme because EVERYONE knew what was coming and ate it up. No one's going to top that and it's almost unfair to keep doing MITB because you're going to get diminishing returns.

Personally I think getting rid of the Money In The Bank gimmick would be a big mistake. It has proven a useful tool for elevating fresh talent to the main event level and building slowly to a major title match. At a time when secondary titles have become so devalued, WWE needs a gimmick like this that can be used to groom talent for bigger and better things.

Whether they get rid of it or not, I do think they should get rid of the impromptu nature of it. They don't even have to declare that wrestlers can't just use it on the spur of the moment, but just having the winner set a date in advance for when they want the title shot is far better use of the stip. The whole point of putting the world title on a guy is because you want him to draw and to do so, he needs to be perceived as strong. What good does it do someone to win the title on a fluke, or under those type of circumstances?

Personally I think getting rid of the Money In The Bank gimmick would be a big mistake. It has proven a useful tool for elevating fresh talent to the main event level and building slowly to a major title match. At a time when secondary titles have become so devalued, WWE needs a gimmick like this that can be used to groom talent for bigger and better things.

The only guy you can say was elevated by it so far is Kennedy, and that's not 100% yet. RVD and Edge were pretty much already at their maximum levels when they won.

The only guy you can say was elevated by it so far is Kennedy, and that's not 100% yet. RVD and Edge were pretty much already at their maximum levels when they won.

Edge wasn't elevated by MITB on its own, it was that combined w/ the Lita pairing and such that did it.