kevinmcfl

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JUNE 1, 1984

A video of the Loser Leaves All-Star Wrestling Steel Cage Match from the Corral in Calgary between Bruce & Keith Hart vs Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell starts the show.  While we see the Harts in control of the action inside the cage, Brad Rheingans, who is handcuffed to Stu Hart outside the ring, starts to brutally beat Stu with the handcuffs.   This distracts not only the ref but the Harts inside the ring.  This allows Greg Gagne to come up from behind Bruce Hart and hit him with a low blow.  Gagne follows that up by ramming Bruce’s head into the cage.  A bloody Hart staggers back while Jim Brunzell jumps off the top rop and connects with a top rope dropkick.  The ref turns around just in time to make the three count.  Bruce Hart is lying in the ring in his own blood while Stu Hart is lying outside the ring also bloodied by the attack of Brad Rheingans.    

Ed Whalen:  Well fans, as you just saw, it has been an awful week here in Stampede as Bruce and Keith Hart have lost the loser leave town match and just as Stu Hart was getting Stampede Wrestling going again, he now must do it without his own sons!  Lets bring out Stu Hart to hear his thoughts on the situation.

Stu Hart:  To be honest Ed, I have no words.  I feel like I let my boys down.  Bruce lost his focus as he tried to protect me from the attack of Brad Rheingans. 

Ed Whalen: Speaking of Brad Rheningans… What does an Olympic Athlete think he was doing attacking you.  I mean you have not been in the ring in quite some time.  What a disgusting bully Rheingans turned out to be.  Another American hero at his finest!

All of a suuden, the Commonwealth Connection (Davey Boy Smith, Dymanite Kid and Jos Leduc) comes out to the interview desk.

Ed Whalen:  Oh what is this… are you three out here to pour salt into the wound!

Dynamite Kid:  Not a chance… I know we have not seen eye to eye with the Harts of late but that was like family fighting family.

Davey Boy Smith:  That’s right… Stu we feel awful and want to prove it to you by taking out the High Flyers!

Jos Leduc: And Rheingans… the next time I see you might be your last day in this sport.  How dare you attack the father of Stampede Wrestling!

Stu Hart hugs the Commonwealth Connection and thanks them.  The crowd is ecstatic but also a little cautious as they are not sure if they can completely trust this trio after their recent actions.

Ed Whalen:  Well I hope you three are being honest with us now. 

Dynamite Kid:  Ed, you know as well as anyone… when the situation gets tough, us Canadians will do anything for each other.

Ed Whalen:  Well that is true.  Later on tonight, Dynamite Kid, you will be taking on none other then the Russian Nightmare, Nikita Koloff with a trip to the finals of the Young Lions Tournament on the line.

Dynamite Kid:  That is going to be one tough match and I could really use the greatest fans on Earth behind me in that one.

Stu Hart:  And I promise you they will be.  

One more hug between Stu and the trio and the fans are buying this hook, line and sinker

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current)

MATCH:  Keiji Mutoh defeats Luke Aduda with a Top Rope Plancha

The crowd seems to really like Mutoh as he is different then anyone else they have ever seen.  His creativity and aerial attacks excite them at each and every turn.  After his victory, Mutoh began to head to the locker room when another Asian wrestler, with his face painted, came out to the ring and seemed to berate Mutoh.  Mutoh simply put his head down as if he was being scolded and the two walked away together.

Match:  Ciclon Negro defeated Matt Downs with a Brainbuster

Negro did his anti-Americas gimmck the entire time as pummeled Downs.  At the interview desk, Negro continued to badmouth the fans of Stampede Wrestling and wanted a piece of Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart.  When Neidhart came out and got in the ring, Negro changed his tune and said that he would beat the Anvil next time but that it was unfair that he would have to wrestle again after such a tough match with Matt Downs.  The crowd really let Negro have it with a loud “Chicken” Chant which Neidhart was happy to partake in. 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Edmonton, Saskatoon, Red Deer, Brandon, Lloydminster, Swift Current) 

MATCH:  Bad News Allen makes quick work of Dean Garrett

Bad News stops by to speak with Ed Whalen while still carrying the AWA Title which he stole from Hulk Hogan.

BNA:    I don’t know how Chump Hogan can continue to go around Canada and the United States calling himself the champ.  Champs have title belts around their waist but all Hogan has around his is a layer of fat!  If I do not get a signed contract for a legit AWA World Title Match in a Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ, No Timelimit Match… I am out of here next week!  I am getting sick and tired of telling Verne Gagne and Hulk Hogan where to find me.  It is clear to me that Hogan wants no part of me and is happy without his belt.  So either next week, Hogan arrives here willing to sign the contract or the AWA World Title is gone forever. 

Ed Whalen:  Well folks, it seems Bad News is getting tired of waiting.  All I know is that an angry Bad News Allen means Bad News for the AWA.  We will be right back! 

(Commercials)

Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw)

Match:  Brad Rheingans defeats Koko Ware with the Craddle Suplex after a low blow

Rheingans was accompanied to the ring with the High Flyers and one thing for sure is that the heel turn of this group is complete…. At least up here in Canada.  They antagonize the fans, torment Koko and have the ref spinning in circles trying to keep order. 

After the match, the three have a grand old time with Ed Whalen laughing about how they chased Stu Hart’s punk sons out of All-Star Wrestling in less then a week. 

(Commercials)

(Promos for shows in Calgary Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw) 

MAIN EVENT:  YOUNG LIONS TOURNAMENT

Nikta Koloff with Nicolai Volkoff vs Davey Boy Smith

Ed Whalen reminds us that the winner of this match will meet Eddie Gilbert in the finals of the tournament on July 1st at the big Canada Day event in the Saddledome.  Whalen has trouble convincing everyone that Davey Boy has a shot in this match as all he keeps saying is how dominant the Russian Nightmare has been since coming to All-Star Wrestling.

As for the match, Davey Boy tries his best to neutralize Koloff’s power by outwrestling him.  This strategy works but Smith has trouble landing anything that will put Koloff down.  Whalen wonders if Smith needs to take more chances and it is like the Bulldog hears him.  The amazing thing is that it is working and the crowd is really behind him.   

Ed Whalen:  Oh my God… what are these three doing out here now.  Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans comes out to ringside and start pointing at Davey Boy.  

WHAM…. Russian Sickle…  Smith was distracted for just a second but that is all Nikita needed to nearly take off the head of the Bulldog. 

1…2….3. 

Ed Whalen:  Well it is not like Nikita needed any help but these three can’t seem to help themselves…. Oh No…. Gagne and his goons are in the ring

They are working over Davey Boy Smith.   Here comes the cavalry… its Dynamite Kid and Jos Leduc.

Oh no, the Russians are getting involved.  The Commonwealth Connection is losing to the numbers game right now.  It is 5 on3! 

The crowd explodes as Sgt. Slaughter and Jim Neidhart hit the ring.  Soon the fan favorites have control of the ring.

Ed Whalen:  What a night!  We have seen Bruce and Keith Hart leave All-Star Wrestling and then the Commonwealth Connection come to Stu Hart’s aid and finally… finally… someone has stood up to the Russians.  Way to go Sgt. Slaughter and Jim Neidhart. 

Ed Whalen:  Folks, if you anywhere near Edmonton this Thursday … get to the Sales Pavilion as it will be some show.  So in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

LOL, I agree with Gene. I'm loving Gagne and his Goons heel run here. Even the Russians sided with them! Talk about nuclear heat. 

Very interested in watching where the Harts show up.

I cant even imagine what will happen in the Nikita/Gilbert finals. 

Bad News continues to make threats. Where is Hogan? What will Verne say? Love this feud. 

Kr12e3q.jpg?2

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

June 2, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown. 

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, if any of you were watching All-Star Stampede Wrestling last night, you heard that Greg Gagne and Jim Brunzell did indeed defeat Bruce and Keith Hart and it is the Harts who have to leave All-Star Wrestling.  There seems to have been some controversy as the footage showed Brad Rheingans and Stu Hart going at it outside the ring.  Let’s bring in Verne Gage to see if he has any more information. 

Verne Gagne:  Rod... All I know is that I am it seems like Stu Hart was saying some very Anti-American things to Brad and then tried to hit him over the head while their hands were handcuffed together.  Brad was defending himself against this heinous attack from an AWA official.  Thank goodness Greg and Jim were not distracted by this and were able to come out victorious.  I hope Stu will continue to honor our working agreement and we will continue to bring the fans of All-Star wrestling the best action both in the United States and in Canada.  I do know that the AWA Board of Directors will be looking into Stu Hart’s actions and also the Canadian Mountie Police are investigating the fact the Stu seems to be promoting wrestling matches in Calgary prior to his suspension being over.  I truly hope Stu Hart has not gone rogue. 

Rod Trongard:  Well folks, this seems like good news that the High Flyers will still be able to bring their skills to all of the fans of All-Star Wrestling but it is obvious that we must keep an eye of the actions of one Stu Hart.  We will head to the ring for our first match right after this break. 

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Sheboygan Rockford and Duluth 

MATCH:  Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll defeats Steve Dean with the Hot Shot! 

Rod Trongard:  Well Eddie, I am sure that you saw that Nikita Koloff defeated Davey Boy Smith last night in Stampede Wrestling and you will be facing the Russian Nightmare at the Canada Day Spectacular in Calgary on July 1 for the Young Lions Championship. 

Eddie Gilbert:  That’s right Rod and make no mistake about it, Nikita Koloff is going to be the toughest challanege to date for Hot Stuff Inc. but I am confident that I will come out on top and that Young Lions Trophy will be mine. 

Rod Trongard:  On another note, it seemed that you Baby Doll had some sort of connection with Rick Rude last week.

Baby Doll:  I will admit that I am a stunning women and sometimes men cannot help but to stare at me.  If Rick Rude could not help himself, I understand.

Rod Trongard:  Well Baby Doll, it seemed to be the other way around

Baby Doll just simply pulls Eddie Gilbert and off Hot Stuff Inc. goes.  The interesting thing here is how easy someone can get some shine from the fans.  As soon as Gilbert is going after the Russians and maybe a little controversy with the Heenan family, the fans love him even though he is the same arrogant ass as always.

MATCH:  Rick Martel defeats Mario Palumbo by submission with the Boston Crab

At the interview desk, Martel is reminded how close he came to beating Bret Hart for the North American title last week in St. Paul until his old tag partner and now member of the Heenan Family, Curt Hennig, interfered.  Martel is upset at this and while he is expressing his displeasure, Randy Savage comes out and asks Rick Martel a favor.

Randy Savage:  Brother Rick…. Even though Bret Hart is not defending his title for the next 30 days, Verne said that he is still the match-maker around here and he has granted me a tag match against Heenan’s band of punks this week in Chicago.  How does this sound to you…. Me and you against Bret Hart and Curt Hennig.

Martel simply smiles and shakes hands with Savage.

Randy Savage:  Ohhhh Yeeeeaaahhhhhh!

Out comes Bobby Heenan and he gets right in the face of Savage and is calling him all kinds of names.  Randy Savage seems on the verge of going after the Weasel but Rick Martel reminds him that last week AWA President, Stanley Blackburn, said that if Savage laid a finger on Heenan that he would be suspended and lose his North American Title Shot.  Heenan is laughing as it seems that he has been caught as he really wanted Savage to attack him.

Bobby Heenan:  WOW…. Savage you need Martel to be by your side all the time.  At least that way there is a half a brain between you.

Rick Martel:  Oh, your funny Heenan but you forgot one thing.

Bobby Heenan:  And what is that Half Wit?

WHAM!  Martel knocks Heenan out with one huge right hand!

Rick Martel:  That is that Stanley Blackburn didn’t say I couldn’t hit you!

Rand Savage:  Ohhhhh Yeeeeaaaahhhhhhh!

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Sheboygan Rockford and Duluth

MATCH: 

Buck Robley & No Class Bobby Bass vs Ricky Gibson & Scott McGhee

This is the third try for Gibson in the last three weeks as he continues to try to take out someone form the evil trio of Robley, Bass and Luke Graham.  This time he has chosen All-Star newcomer Scott McGhee.  One thing for sure is that together, Gibson and McGhee are driving the young ladies in the audience wild with their good looks. 

As for the match. It doesn’t take long for the babyfaces to take the momentum.  It looks like they are just outclassing the heels here but unforunantely, Luke Graham sees this from the back and rushes the ring.  He comes from behind with a towel and wraps it around McGhee.  McGhee seems to slowly go to sleep asTrongard wonders what was on the towel.

This allows for a brutal 3-1 attack of Gibson.  It seemed to go on for a prolonged period of time until we eventually just go to commercial break.   

COMMERCIAL

Before our next match, Da Crusher rushes out to the interview desk and he has a rope all tied around him and he is fuming.  He claims that Robley, Bass and Graham attacked him prior to the last match and ties him up to make sure he couldn’t help Ricky Gibson from their attack.

Verne Gagne comes out and demands to know if this is true and threatens to suspend the evil trio.  Da Crusher has another idea…. A 6 Man Tag match against Graham, Bass and Robley.

Verne Gagne:  I think that is a good idea but unfortunately, Ricky Gibson doesn’t seem to be in any shape to wrestle this week after what just happened.

Da Crusher:  Not quite what I was thinking.  Those three knuckleheads have been attacking people around here for weeks now… I am going to fight fire with fire.  I am going to bring in two partners who are going to show them just how to fight… A Chicago Street Fight… Anything goes

Verne accepts the stipulations as Trongard wonders who Da Crusher is going to get for partners.

MATCH:  Buddy Landell defeats Marty Jannety with the Figure 4

The is Buddy Landell’s first trip to All-Star and his arrogance is obvious from the first words out of his mouth.

Buddy Landell:  Men out there in the audience…. If you do indeed call yourselves men, don’t get mad at your ladies right now.  They can’t help themselves.  They have never seen anything as good looking as me. But trust me… I have seen ladies much better looking then any of you.  That’s because I am the Nature Boy… the only true Nature Boy in all of pro wrestling today and if I can’t hold every title in this one horse town on 30 days… I will be out of here!

Rod Trongard:  Well then maybe we will only have to listen to you for a month.  Let’s get back to the ring for our main event!

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT:

Dr. Death Steve Williams, Manny Fernandez and Sgt, Slaughter

vs

Jerry Blackwell,Ken Patera and Nicolai Volkov with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie 

A fun match that sees the fan favorites come within inches of a clean win a bunch of times and the heels do the same after a bunch if questionable tactics.  As could be expected, this one ends in a wild brawl with both teams being counted out. 

Rod Trongard:  So long from the Minneapolis Armory

LOL, I cant wait to hear Stu's response to Verne as things are heading for a showdown. 

Looking forward to Koloff and Gilbert. I have a feeling Gilbert has something up his sleeve. He's going to need something when he goes up against the Russian Nightmare. 

Seems like Martel outsmarted the Brain. 

Oh man, Graham, Robley and Bass might be in big trouble as Crusher is bringing in some partners.

Landel wins promo of the night as he makes a bold statement. 

Great TV main event that ends in chaos and leaves the fans wanting more. 

Great job! Really love the way your building up the territory war. 

kevinmcfl

EVENTS FOR FIRST WEEK OF JUNE

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

shows in Calgary, Regina, Medicine Hat, Winnipeg, Lethbridge and Moose Jaw

Sweet Brown Sugar vs Keiji Mutoh

Ciclon Negro vs Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart

The High Flyers vs Ricky Gibson & Marty Jannety

Bad News Allen vs Koko Ware

The British Bulldogs vs Ox Baker & Bob Sweetan

Canadian Street Fight Match:  Jos Leduc vs Brad Rheingans

Kr12e3q.jpg?2

Shows in Chicago, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Sheboygan Rockford and Duluth

Nikita Koloff vs Ricky Vaughn

Buddy Landell vs Scott McGhee

Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll vs Rick Rude with Bobby Heenan

Chicago Street Fight:  Buck Robley/Luke Graham/"No Class" Bobby Bass vs Da Crusher & 2 Mystery Partners

Sgt. Slaughter vs Nicolia Volkoff

AWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH:  Road Warriors with Paul Ellering vs The Sheiks (Blackwell & Patera) with Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissie

Randy Savage & Rick Martel vs Bret Hart & Curt Hennig with Bobby Heenan

LIKE IN THE OLD DAYS.... TO FIND OUT THE RESULTS.... SHOW UP AND BUY A TICKET

Bad News vs Koko is a sneaky-great matchup. Could be a squash because of where Bad News is in the hierarchy, but if it's even a little bit competitive it'll be really fun.

*Love* those top two tag matches for Mid American, and that's as someone who's not really into tag team wrestling. 9 year old me would definitely be bugging someone to take me to Rockford for that.

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JUNE 8, 1984

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Corral in Calgary. What a show we have in store for you tonight. We will see Ciclon Negro,  Buddy Landell and Jos Leduc in action.  We also have some great tag team action as we will see the Sweet Brown Sugar and Koko Ware. and in our main event, Dynamite Kid will be defending his AWA Light Heavyweight Title against Keiji Mutoh.  Fans, let’s not forget that tonight is also the self-imposed deadline by Bad News Allen placed on Hulk Hogan to grant him an AWA World title match or Bad News Allen says he will leave All-Star Wrestling forever with the AWA World Title.   Stu Hart will also join us with some major news on the Stampede Wrestling Heavyweight title that will be awarded on the huge Canada Day show on July 1 in the Saddledome. 

MATCH:  Ciclon Negro vs Big Jim

Ciclon has been doing a great job of getting the ire of the fans lately and tonight is no different.  He stops by the podium and spouts off about Jim Neidhart and Sargent Slaughter on his way to the ring which just adds to the heat that he is getting.  Ed Whalen urges him to head to the ring as Ciclon Negro wonders what loser he will be laying out next. 

Ciclon Negro’s tune changes slightly as he sees the size of his opponent.  Big Jim enters the ring with a huge grin on his face but that is not all that is huge on this this overall wearing mountain from Mudlick, Kentucky.  He looks every bit of the 6’7, 320 pounds that he is introduced at.

As for the match, Ciclon tries to overpower Jim and when that doesn’t work, he goes to his usually repertoire of dirty tactics.  Jim just seems to keep smiling as he shrugs off each blow from Negro.  Eventually one blow does land and this just seems to make Big Jim mad as he counters with a forearm blow followed by an Irish whip to a Big Boot.  Negro goes down but Jim is angry and scoops him up into a bearhug.  He shakes Negro around like a rag doll until the ref calls for the submission win.

Immediately, the big grin returns to Big Jim as he shakes some hands on his way to the locker room.

(Commercials)

Promotions for Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw 

MATCH:  Buddy Landell  defeats Luke Aduda with the Figure 4

During the match, Stu Hart joins Ed Whalen and discusses the up coming tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Heavyweight Champion.  Stu announces that the 16 man tournament will begin next week in Edmonton at the Sales Pavilion and the finals will be on July 1 at the Canada Day Spectacular.  He goes on to announce a few of the competitors which includes Jos Leduc, Jim Neidhart, Sgt. Slaughter, Ox Baker, Sweet Brown Sugar, Davey Boy Smith and Buddy Landell. 

Once Landell is done with his match he struts over to the desk where Ed and Stu are still going on about the tournament.

Buddy Landell:  Ok Mr. Hart… save yourself some time and energy.  Just give me the Stampede title now as we all now it is a forgone conclusion that I will win.  I mean come on… I am the greatest thing in professional wrestling today.  I am the one and only Nature Boy!

Stu Hart:  Well there are a lot of great wrestlers who will have something to say about that.  I also want to remind you what you said last week and I hope this is true… if you do not have a title in 30 days, you will leave All-Star Wrestling!

Buddy Landell:  In 30 days I will not only have a title… but I will be the number one wrestler ever to step foot in this lowly cow town!

Ed Whalen:  My oh my, Mr. Landell you are not short on confidence but I hope you are short on time here in the great land to the North. 

(Commercials)

MATCH:  Jos Leduc defeats Bob Harrington with the Back Breaker

The interesting thing here is that it looked like Greg Gagne, Jim Brunzell and Brad Rheingans were going to attack Leduc as they came out to the ring during the match but Leduc’s other members of the Commonwealth Connection, the British Bulldogs, came out and stood on the other side.  This white hot feud ended with just a big staring contest as cooler heads prevailed… for now.           

Match:  Koko Ware & Sweet Brown Sugar defeated Scott McGhee & Ricky Gibson

This high paced tag match pitted 2 babyface teams and was fought cleanly the entire way.  Sugar was able to connect with a Missile Dropkick on Gibson for the win.  Both teams shook hands after this one and received a nice ovation from the crowd. 

(Commercials)

MAIN EVENT:  AWA LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

Dynamite Kid vs Keiji Mutoh

What is interesting here is that Davey Boy Smith offers his hand to Mutoh but Mutoh refuses the handshake.  Ed Whalen wonders if this has anything to do with the other Japanese wrestler who came out last week and berated Mutoh after his match with Luke Aduda. 

As for the match, Davey Boy really had his hands full trying to deal with the unorthodox aerial attacks and martial arts from Mutoh. Somehow, it seemed like Davey Boy had overcame his problems and was on the verge of winning the match after a powerslam when all of a sudden, the High Flyers came out and distracted Smith.  Mutoh recovered just enough and when Davey Boy turned around, Mutoh caught him the Asian Mist in the eyes.  While Davey Boy was blinded, he was lucky enough that the ref had seen this and called for the bell and disqualifies Mutoh.

The High Flyers walked off with a smirk on their faces as their job was done as Mutoh left mad that he was not the new champ while Jos Leduc and Davey Boy Smith hit the ring to help their fellow member of the Commonwealth Connection.  Ed Whalen continues to be disgusted by the High Flyers and wonders what business they had to even be at ringside.

Ed Whalen:  Well folks, this is the moment we have all been waiting for.  It is time for Hulk Hogan to either come out and sign the contract to meet Bad News Allen in a Falls Count Anywhere, No DQ World Title Match for the Canada Day Spectacular or else Bad News has threatened to leave All-Star Wrestling forever with the AWA World Title Belt in tow.

Bad News comes out first and he is without the title.  When asked where the belt was, Bad News just laughed and said he was not that stupid as Verne Gagne and Hulk Hogan are not to be trusted.  The interesting part here was that the fans in Calgary seemed to agree with Allen as they are so tired of Greg Gagne’s actions of late they are associating Verne with the son. 

Ed Whalen calls out Hulk Hogan and there is a bit of a pause and everyone thinks Hogan is not coming.  All of a sudden, Hogan comes out as confident as ever.

Bad News Allen:  Well Chump…. Where is you belt?  Hahahaha

Hulk Hogan:  That is exactly your problem.  You think the belt makes the champ… In fact, it is the champ that makes the belt.  Every arena I go into, I am announced as the champion but each time you carry that belt to the ring, the fans see you as a low life criminal… not the CHAMP!

Bad News Allen:  Well it is time to put up or shut Hogan… you going to sign the contract?

Hulk Hogan takes the pen handed to him by Ed Whalen and signs the piece of paper!

Bad News Allen:  Well I am shocked…. You are stupid enough to meet me in the ring knowing that you have no chance of beating me.

Hulk Hogan:  Well Bad News, I have one question for you… What you gonna do brother when Hulkamania runs wild over you?

The crowd pops but all of a sudden there is a gasp…

Bad News Allen:  I guess that is a question for my new manager….

And Bobby “the Brain” Heenan walks out

Ed Whalen:  Sorry folks but we are out of time.  We will get to the bottom of this next week.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling

Bad News and The Brain!! I Love It!

I have to say that I am really enjoying the split that you have going on here. It nicely divides up your rosters, gives you a nice us vs them story to play with, and probably makes it easier for you to keep track of things.

Good stuff all around man!

The action continues in Stampede! 

Ciclon looked like he was heading into a typical squash until Big Jim showed up. Big Jim debuts with an impact! 

Love what you're doing with Landell. He's coming off as a big star. 

Ware and Sugar get a solid TV win over McGhee and Gibson. 

Fun main event as things get crazy with Gagne's goons and Mutoh's mist. The AWA guys and Stampede boys are heading for an explosive showdown. 

Speaking of showdowns, Hogan signs the dotted line but gets some Bad News as HEENAN is now the manager of Allen! Shocker! 

Cant wait for the Spectacular. 

I probably was as shocked to see Bad News Allen introducing Bobby Heenan as his manager here than I was when Andre showed up with Heenan on Piper's Pit a few weeks before Wrestlemania 3. Holy crap, the Spectacular will be awesome.

Another great show here....great showing from"Big Jim" here that gets people's attention.

Another great match disrupted by Gagne and company that has to really be firing the Stampede crowd against them.

Bad News gets what he wants but Hogan didn't realize he had an ace up his sleeve with the Brain...great stuff....can't wait to see the Spectacular!

Kr12e3q.jpg?2

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

June 9, 1984

A montage of all the top AWA Wrestlers of both past and present is shown as the intro music is played.   

From coast to coast, continent to continent and border to border, we welcome you to AWA Mid-American All-Star Wrestling.    I am Rod Trongard and we are coming to you today from the Minneapolis Armory.  Fans, if any of you were at the Rosemont Horizon this past week you got a real treat.  In fact, it was so awesome to see who joined Da Crusher in his 6 Man tag match against Luke Graham, Bobby Bass and Buck Robley that we have to show you.   

Video Tape Match

Robley, Bass and Graham vs Da Crusher and 2 Mystery Partners

With the heels already in the ring, Crusher starts down the aisle and he is joined by none other than his old tag partner, Dick the Bruiser and one of the toughest wrestlers ever to grace the squared circle, Ray “The Crippler” Stevens.  The crowd explodes as these three legends of the Sport of Kings head to the ring while the heels seem to cower in fear.

As for the match, the fan favorites are the ones on the offense and they attack before the bell.  We get a great slobberknocker here that comes to an end when Stevens hits a Bombs Away on Crazy Luke Graham. 

When the video is over, Crusher, Bruiser and Crippler are at the interview desk with smiles on their faces.

Da Crusher:  Well Rod, I couldn’t taken it anymore.  I heard Robley, Graham and Bass out here week after week saying that they were the old guard in this sport and that they took pleasure in taking out young punks like Ricky Gibson.  First things first, Gibson is no punk and second, you are now looking at the true “Old Guard.”

Dick the Bruiser:  One phone call from Crusher is all it took before I came running or at least walking as fast as I can now.  He said it would be like the old days where we just loved smashing heads and and taken names. 

Ray Stevens:  I know I have been in the ring against these two men to my right hundreds of times and we might not always see eye to eye but one thing is for sure…. They are two TOUGH GUYS and if they had enough respect to ask me to help solve this problemg…. I had enough respect to come on down and help um.

Da Crusher:  If you thought the beating we gave those three losers was the highlight of the night, you must not have made the pary down on Halsted Street when all the pretty dollies wanted to see what these dinosaurs had left.

Rod Trongard:  Ok, remember this is a family show.  We will get to live action when we come back form break.

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines

MATCH:  Rick Rude with Bobby Heenan defeats Tony Torres with the Piledriver

While this was a complete squash match, it was not without its interesting moment as Baby Doll came out and seemed to give Rick Rude a huge look as she observed him from head to toe.  When she was done, she had a big smile on her face and Rude simply smirked as he thought that he was all that.

At the interview desk Rude was real proud of the attention he was getting from Baby Doll but all Gene Okerlund wanted to do was talk to Heenan about what happened last night in Calgary. 

For those that did not see the show, we see a video clip of the contract signing for the AWA World Title Match between Bad News Allen and Hulk Hogan that ended with Bobby Heenan being announced as Bad News Allen’s new manager. 

Back here at the desk, Okerlund asks Heenan what that was all about.

Bobby Heenan:  I will to you Okerlund… that was about how sick and tired we are of Hulk Hogan.  He runs around here and talks about all the Hulkamaniacs… well do you not what a maniac is?  It is a person who is nuts… clinically insane… and that is exactly what a person must be to be a fan of Hulk Hogan.  So, I went to Bad News Allen and reminded him that if there is one person in All-Star Wrestling who knows how to beat Hogan it is me.  I mean Verne Gagne made my man Nick Boackwinkel fight Hogan every night for two years.  Bockwinkel was something like 200-1 against Hogan.  Why? … I know Hogan’s weakness!   Now on Canada Day in the Saddledome… Hogan’s title reign will come to an end and my family will hold both the North American Title and the Stampede Title!

As they do walk off set, Rude seems somewhat displeased that the interview did not focus more on his “budding” relationship with the Perfect 10

MATCH:  Nikita Koloff with Nicolai Volkoff destroys Verlon Biggs with the Russian Sickle

A quick Anti-American filled interview has Koloff reminding us that Eddie Gilbert has no shot to win the finals of the Young Lion’s Cup on July 1 and Volkoff reminds us that he is still looking to take out one Sgt. Slaughter for good.

COMMERCIAL

Promos for this week’s shows in St. Paul:  Denver, Salt Lake city, Omaha, Lincoln, Des Moines 

A great match for TV as Sweetan had his moments here reminding the fans just how tough he is and how much of a star he was just a few years ago.  The problem was that he couldn’t sustain this pressure on a star in his prime and eventually Savage took over. No matter what dirty tactic Sweetan tried or how hard he tried to bring this match to the gutter, Savage was always ready for him.  The end came with the Top Rope Elbow Drop and at the interview desk, Savage continued to hype up his upcoming North American Title Match against Bret Hart in Calgary on July 1.

MATCH:  “Crazy” Luke Grahm defeats Mario Palumbo by just bullying him around the ring

The problem here was that Graham just new he was better and messed around and embarrassed the young Palumbo.  When it went too far, Ricky Gibson rushed out and attacked Graham but as we have found out over the last few weeks, Graham is never far from his henchman and Robley and No Class Bobby Bass were on Gibson in a Heart Beat!

Finally, there was an answer as Ray Stevens, Crusher and Bruiser were only steps behind.  It was like this was all a set up as the Baby Face Brawlers quickly knocked Graham and his group around and left them rolling on the floor!

As the crowd cheered and the vets hugged it out with the young Ricky Gibson, the heels went scurrying to the locker room.  The microphone did pick up Luke Graham saying, “He is NOT going to be very happy about this.”  As we went to break, Rod Trongard wondered who he was.

COMMERCIAL

MATCH:

Dr. Death & Manny Fernandez crush two local jobbers

The interesting thing here was that Rod Trongard announces that All-Star Wrestling is having trouble deciding who the #1 contenders are for the Road Warriors and the AWA World Tag Team Title so the Board of Directors has decided that it will be a Three Corner Title Match at the Canada Day Spectacular in the Saddledome between the Road Warriors, the Sheiks and Dr. Death/Manny Fernandez where the winners will be the champions and the losers will be forced to leave All-Star Wrestling for a Year.

COMMERCIAL

MAIN EVENT:

Eddie Gilbert with Baby Doll vs Curt Hennig with Bobby Heenan

A nice match for TV that shows some back and forth and helps Eddie Gilbert to become more of a fan favorite as the fans would do anything to have one of Heenan’s men go down on defeat.  At about the 6 minute mark, we see Rick Rude walk out and go right up to Baby Doll and give her a big look from head to toe.  Baby Doll seems to be making eyes right back at Rude who gives her a nice Pec Dance for her time.  Eddie Gilbert sees this and is fuming.  He goes out of the ring and is chasing Rude up the ramp who was walking away with a big smirk on his face.  Just as Rude goes off screen behind the curtain…

WHAM… Nikita Koloff comes out from behind the curtain and hits Gilbert with a Russian Sickle.

Trongard wonders if Baby Doll is truly falling for Rude and  if this was all a set up and if the Russians are in cahoots with Heenan.  All things to be answered next week.  He also wonders how Gilbert is going to handle Koloff in the finals of the Young Lions Cup on Canada Day

Rod Trongard:  So long from the Minneapolis Armory

The old timers are back together and look as tough as ever. Gibson will benefit by hanging around these guys. I wonder who Graham was referring to???

The plot thickens between Rude and Baby Doll. Nikita takes advantage and sickles Gilbert! Lot's of intrigue surrounds the Young Lions final.

A lot at stake in the three corners tag title match. One team walks away with the titles, the other's leave for a year.

Will Hulkamania prevail over Bad News??? Heenan says No Way! 

Cant wait for Canada Day! 

Zwho6Q4.jpg?1

AWA ALL-STAR WRESTLING

JUNE 16, 1984 

Music intro with a montage of all the stars of Stampede Wrestling past and present is shown.

Ed Whalen:  I am Ed Whalen and welcome to another edition of Stampede All-Star Wrestling coming to you from the Corral in Calgary. Before we get to all the action here tonight, we must first take you to the last few minutes of a video given to us courtesy of Southeastern Championship Wrestling from June Jam in Fort Payne, Alabama

AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship

Brad Armstrong pinned Dynamite Kid with a backslide in an absolute clinic that went 28 minutes of the 30 minute time limit to win the AWA World Light Heavyweight Championship

Ed Whalen:  That’s right folks, Dynamite Kid lost the AWA World Light Heavyweight title this week and we are going to bring him out right now.

Dynamite Kid:  Well Ed, one thing I am not going to do is make excuses.  Brad Armstrong is one tough competitor and he was the better man that night in Alabama. I feel bad that I have let the fans of Stampede Wrestling down!

Ed Whalen:  Well Dynamite, I would not worry about that. Everyone here knows you gave it 100% and sometimes you just come out on the wrong end of the stick.  The good news for you and everybody here at the Corral is that you will be getting your rematch right here on TV tonight!

Kid is hyped and promises to give it his all as Ed Whalen also reminds us that tonight is the start of the tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Heavyweight championship.  We will see 4 great first round matches including Buddy Landell vs Sweet Brown Sugar, Ox Baker vs Big Jim, Rick Rude vs Ricky Gibson and Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart vs Bob Sweetan.  We will also be seeing the High Flyers tonight and I hope that their will be no more nonsense from them.  Well, this is going to be a big show and we will get started right after this break.

(Commercials)

MATCH:  Buddy Landell defeats Sweet Brown Sugar

In the first match of Stampede Tournament, we see Buddy Landell is really good at bringing some heat down on himself.  From his strut to his robe to his in ring antics of hiding behind the referee, Landell is a true heel!  Sugar gets feed up with all of this real quick and it is actually the babyface who brings this match to the gutter.  Unfortunately, Landell was able to reach into his trunks for an object that he clocks Sugar with.  No matter how much the fans tried to tell the ref what had happened, he never found the illegal object.  With Sugar basically out of it, Landell unnecessarily locks in the Figure 4 and the ref awards him with the win as he counts Sugar out . 

At the interview desk:

Buddy Landell:  Ed Whalen…. All you stinkin fans… I told you that if I don’t win a title in 30 days or less, I am outta here and tonight just shows you that me winning this tournament is a for gone conclusion so I gues you are stuck with me.

Ed Whalen:  Well if one of these refs catches you cheating, I guess you will be outta here and I can tell you that myself and all of these fans are routing for the refs. 

Buddy Landell:  Are you insinuating that the real Nature Boy would need to cheat to beat someone like Sweet Brown Sugar. 

Ed Whalen:  I am not insinuating anything.  I am flat out saying it.  We must move on but I am hoping you lose this week in Edmonton so you will leave us alone. 

MATCH:  Big Jim vs Ox Baker

This tournament match puts two big boys going for the win.  The difference… Big Jim is a fun loving hillbilly while Ox Baker is one mean SOB who wouldn’t mind killing another man in the ring with his Heart Puch…. Yes I said ANOTHER!  While Baker is tough, Jim just seemed to enjoy the physicality of this match and wrestled most of it from the top.  Baker did tale the momentum after and eye gouge but Jim ducked under his Heart Punch and caught Ox with a Big Boot and Jim got the win and moved on in the tournament. 

(Commercials)

MATCH:  High Flyers (Gagne & Brunzell) defeat the Lumberjacks with a Double Dropkick on Lumberjack #1 following a low blow by Gagne.

Brunzell and Gagne continue to get the ire of the fans prior to the match, during the match and after it.  They are quickly becoming the arrogant nudge that everyone loves to hate.  After the match, Gagne can’t help but spew his opinion of how much better his father is than Stu Hart and what an embarrassment it must be to run Stampede Wrestling even though none of your sons wrestler here.  Brunzell adds his Anti-Calgary commentary as the boos rain down.  Ed Whalen has finally had enough and sends them on their way.

Match:  Rick Rude with Bobby Heenan defeats Ricky Gibson with the Piledriver

This was a pretty easy match for Rude but the interesting thing here was that Heenan was joined by his new prize… Bad News Allen.  The post-match interview seemed to focus more on what Allen is going to do to Hogan at the Canada Day Spectacular then Rude’s win over Gibson.  Rude seemed to be upset by this as he wanted to flex and talk about how nobody can stop starring at the Ravishing One… not even Baby Doll!

(Commercials)

Match:  Jim “the Anvil” Neidhart vs Bob Sweetan

In the 4th Stampede Tournament match of the night, the fans were treated to a real slobberknocker.  These two did their best to beat on each other for about 8 minutes until the Anvil finally connected with a powerslam.  At the interview desk, the Anvil seems to be ready to fight everyone…. From the Russians to the High Flyers .  He is really upset at how Gagne put down his father-in-law, Stu Hart earlier tonight and he reminds everyone that there is still on person left here in Stampede to protect the Hart name!

MAIN EVENT:  AWA LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE

Brad Armstrong vs Dynamite Kid

Dynamite Kid came out to a huge ovation as he waved to the crowd thanking them for their recent support during his title reign.  When Armstrong heads to the ring, a chorus of boos reigns down upon him.  Dynamite asks for the house microphone.

Dynamite Kid:  Please, please… understand that Brad is a great guy and a great wrestler. He beat me fair and square for the title and tonight we are both going to give our all and may the better man walk out as champ.

Kid and Armstrong shake hands and the crowd goes wild.  As for the match… it is a display of pure wrestling and skill and Ed Whalen keeps putting over the fact that these are two of the best in the world. Unfortunately, after about 8 minutes, Gagne and Brunzell hit the ring and attack Kid.  The ref calls for the bell but in a display of great sportsmanship, Brad Armstrong comes to the rescue of Dynamite and after a minute or two of a wild brawl, Armstrong and Kid are in control of the ring while the High Flyers are out on the floor and heading to the locker room with their tails between their legs.

Ed Whalen:  What a great night of wrestling it has been and a great thanks to Brad Armstrong for coming to the rescue of Dynamite Kid after another rotten attack by the High Flyers.  Something has to be done about this and hopefully Stu Hart will set lay down the law against these invaders from South of the Border.  Remember if you are anywhere near Edmonton and the Sales Pavilion this week, get a ticket as the tournament to crown the first ever Stampede Heavyweight Champion will continue.  So, in the meantime and in the in-between time… that’s it, another edition of Stampede Wrestling. 

Buddy Landell takes his first step toward gold! I for one am rooting for The Nature Boy, so screw you Whalen!

Gotta agree with Gene, nice win for Jim, cause I think Ox still had to be the favorite even if he's a little past his prime.

Rude and Neidhart round out the tournament advancements and the second round is looking good.

Armstrong and Kid seem poised to have another classic, and it's broken up by the Flyers, and I think we have a potential tag team classic in our future!

Also, interested to see when the hammer is gonna fall on Heenan ignoring Rude. The Ravishing One's ego isn't going to allow him to be ignored for long.

Good stuff all around!!