Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-02-17-WWE-Elimination Chamber] Daniel Bryan vs Kofi Kingston vs Jeff Hardy vs Samoa Joe vs A.J. Styles vs Randy Orton

ShittyLittleBoots

Everybody got their time to shine - Joe was eliminated first, but the whole time he was there, he looked like a killer just beating the crap out of everyone, especially Bryan. Jeff wasn't there for long, but he got that one big Swanton moment, which was legitimately a very neat spot. Styles looked like the all-time great that he is with his legendary bumping, selling & offense - that Tower of Doom spot they did w/ him, Kofi & Bryan was awesome, because it wasn't the usual; they did it uniquely with AJ doing the pull-up German. Orton was vicious during his time in the Chamber & that DDP-esq RKO he delivered to AJ was great. And then there were two. That is when the match kicked off into another level; Bryan & Kofi crafted a truly special final battle, one of the best of all-time, if not THE best. The scrappy slugfest to start it off was really good, and I LOVED Kofi getting fired up & asking Bryan to deliver some more kicks. The nearfalls were sooo goood - the callback to their Gauntlet match finish was great, and then the Busaiku Knee one was amazing; Bryan has protected that move so much since he debuted it in 2013, so Kofi getting to kick out of it felt pretty damn big, I thought. Also love, love, LOVED the LeBell Lock struggle with Bryan having to fight to get it locked in, and Kofi brought the goods with his emotional selling once it was locked in. The whole finishing stretch with them on top of the pod was also pretty phenomenal - extended battle there, and once Kofi got the upperhand, he went for the big risk in the dive & paid for it. Excellent stuff by the two, and overall I'd say this was the best Chamber in years. One of the best ever, too. Bryan vs. Kofi is no doubt THE match to make at Mania now. The way the crowd BELIEVED in Kofi was special & the heat Bryan received for doing basically anything to him was also special. They got a magical dynamic in their hands, I can only hope that they capitalize on it. The way how strong Kofi was booked, and the post-match (wonderful btw) babyface moment w/ Big E & Xavier gives me some hope they will. ****

As someone who really enjoys a hot crowd, this was fucking amazing. A lot to love here, from Joe and D-Bry beating this shit out of each other, to Jeff being fucking insane, to Houston SALIVATING for a Kofi win. I knew after Tuesday that Bryan was going to try to do the Santino Marella thing from 2012 but holy shit this was even better. A career moment for Kofi - who was so fired up he messed up a couple of spots -, I hope they book on the fly and give him the title match at Mania and make him fucking win.

The start was great but the first half as a whole was a little bit up and down for me, some strange spots and sequences but also some great moments (most of them by D-Bray). But oh boy, the final three was awesome, specially the final battle. It's a shame Ali didn't received this push, but man Kofi deserved some spotlight after being one of the better workers of the midcard for eleven fucking years in a row. Both Bryan and him were fantastic (also Joe at the beginning), but this is not a great match, just a good one with a crazy career defining moment for Kofi. And I loved it. ***3/4.

Excellently-booked match. While this was always going to be about Kofi and Bryan, everyone got their time to shine. Of course once we did get to the Bryan and Kofi showdown, an already good match was taken to a whole new level. Kofi once again proved he's a tremendous babyface and Bryan turned in yet another terrific heel performance. This type of heel/face dynamic is proof that finisher kickouts CAN work. Can't wait for the Fastlane match.

****1/4.

• 1 month later...

Just rewatched this tonight and my God, is the Kofi-Bryan stuff absolute magic. As soon as Orton got eliminated, the crowd got behind Kofi 100% and anything Bryan would do was the worst thing possible. Kofi's fire, daring Bryan to kick him some more, is the stuff dreams are made of for what you want out of a babyface. Determined, strong, and not willing to take any shit. Bryan on the other hand, a perfect heel. Taking any opening given to him and being relentless. His "OH NO" Running Knee kickout face might be the best the original Undertaker iteration. The way he builds up energy to hit that final Running Knee, he's just so instantly hateable. 

****1/2