Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Silver King

sek69

Looks like he hit Juvi with a clothesline, and when he went down to pin him something happened and his body shut down. Seemed to take an awful long time for help to arrive on the scene, maybe they thought it was part of the show?

5 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

Terrible news. I can't even imagine how Wagner must feel right now. It does seem like luchadores die in the ring at disproportionate rates.

Luchadores work far more dates than pretty much anywhere else in the world, the wear and tear tends to catch up with them faster. 

I didn't watch the whole video because it is just painful to watch even the first couple minutes but I have no fucking idea what this ref is doing.  I mean there was nothing to make you think he had a concussion.  I understand you do that selling that you are tired but there was nothing to make you think that.  He does try to get up barely and that is when the other wrestler kicks him in the chest/ribs.  And that was it.    Juvi is stalling for time which I don't blame him  because the ref is still fucking stand there doing nothing.  I mean for all we know he could have been dead right after that kick but there is a good 2 or 3 minutes of complete negligence

The official word is that he had a heart attack. It could end up being one of those things where it didn't matter how quickly help arrived, but it's not a good look to have folks  just standing around with someone in obvious distress. 

I was at ringside and at first I thought they'd planned the whole can't roll him over spot. But after the delayed 3 count I got the horrible feeling something serious was happening. Not your typical wrestling crowd tonight, was made up more of people coming along for the Lucha experience (which made it the best wrestling crowd I'd been in up to that point) and most of the people around me were telling me it was part of the show. Feel totally numb 

Silver King was so good, Hijo del Santo had him be the one helping break his son into the business. If you only ever saw him in WCW, you need to check out his work in Mexico with Texano as the Cowboys, and him as Black Tiger in Japan.  Also he was Ramses, the villain from the Nacho Libre movie which was one of those "win a drink at the bar" trivia questions. 

I always thought of him as a lucha version of Owen Hart, a really talented guy overshadowed by a more famous brother. Never expected that comparison to be so apt though. 

Horrible news indeed. I thought that I could watch the vid but I can't. My best memories of King are as a child in the 90s watching him and the rest of the luchadores in WCW mostly in fun trios matches. Then years later I watched a stellar match he had with Jushin Liger in the BOSJ 01. 51 is so young, my prayers and condolences to his family and those who knew him.

Also SteveMPunk I'm so sorry you had to go through a experience like that.

I am in the same boat as @WingedEagle. I'm not going to pretend to be the Silver King expert, but he was part of my growing fandom in the mid 90's. Silver King was one of the first non-Vader sized 'big man' I saw working that style. I always liked seeing him perform in WCW. I watched all the lucha matches from Nitro and Silver King's speed and technique is still amazing. A very sad way to go. He left us doing what he loved so much and what brought happiness to so many around the world for decades. Absolutely amazing.