Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - January 22, 2020

goodhelmet

Having a hard time focusing on either show tonight, but oof, that Britt Baker promo shows that she doesn't have it on the mic at all - even as a heel. :( 

@sek69 had a more positive impression, obviously. The words were fine, I guess, but there was no emotion or personality behind them. 

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Having a hard time focusing on either show tonight, but oof, that Britt Baker promo shows that she doesn't have it on the mic at all - even as a heel. :( 

@sek69 had a more positive impression, obviously. The words were fine, I guess, but there was no emotion or personality behind them. 

I'll cop to being excited to see any development beyond "hey she's a dentist" in terms of character. At least "asshole dentist" is something. 

Chris Jericho is having the best heel world champ run since Ric Flair in the 80s. 

I thought the cruise looked cool. There was some noise lost but it was clear the crowd was enjoying the show. Baker is not a good promo, but at the very least, heel Baker > face Baker. No more extended interviews with her please though - she legit looked nervous to me.

MJF is really good and I am loving the build to Cody-MJF. I am guessing Young Bucks beat Omega and Page for the tag titles and Page turns on them. They teased a match beyond some time ago so perhaps all these angles are eventually building to it. 

It's amazing how much better and more refreshing the show feels without the Nightmare Collective angle. This was a fun episode. AEW is beginning to get really good at weekly progression of storylines. The booking seems more focused since the new year and that's a good sign. 

15 hours ago, MoS said:

They teased a match beyond some time ago so perhaps all these angles are eventually building to it.  

That tease seemed to be for a WarGames-style match between The Elite and The Inner Circle. I guess Page would turn there?

Given the crowd reaction increasing for Hangman Page these last few weeks since they slightly tweaked this character...if the path was initially to end with Page turning heel on Omega, they are fools if they follow through with that in the immediate future. If anything, they would probably be better off turning Omega if they absolutely have to. It would give an edge back to Omega and they could call back to the feelings of doubt they played up during the early goings of AEW, and I think even workrate fans could be potentially swayed to boo Omega if they really committed to it. I think his aloof promo style wouldn't need much tweaking to adapt to being an American wrestling heel.

And seriously, who would WANT to boo the guy that celebrates a title win by crowd-surfing and drinking a beer while doing it?

I forgot to mention - the crowd singing Jericho's theme throughout his entrance and then singing it for several seconds after it stopped playing and actually finishing the song is probably the coolest thing I have seen in wrestling in several years. 

Doesn't beat the entire Hammerstein Ballroom singing Enter Sandman at ECW One Night Stand 2005 but it sure was cool as hell.

Given the crowd reaction increasing for Hangman Page these last few weeks since they slightly tweaked this character...if the path was initially to end with Page turning heel on Omega, they are fools if they follow through with that in the immediate future. If anything, they would probably be better off turning Omega if they absolutely have to. It would give an edge back to Omega and they could call back to the feelings of doubt they played up during the early goings of AEW, and I think even workrate fans could be potentially swayed to boo Omega if they really committed to it. I think his aloof promo style wouldn't need much tweaking to adapt to being an American wrestling heel.

And seriously, who would WANT to boo the guy that celebrates a title win by crowd-surfing and drinking a beer while doing it?

I think you're right. Looking back and seeing all the momentum Page is getting as a babyface lately, I think we may be in for a swerve. I'm starting to think that Pac will play a major role in whatever happens between Omega and Page.

At some point, I think it would be nice to just blow up The Elite as a group and have everyone do their own thing for a while. Until they're somehow brought back by necessity. That could be an excellent long-time story to be told.

Finally caught up with this week's episode

I continue to love everything Cody/MJF and Le Champion. Jericho's entrance on this week's episode was outstanding with the drunks singing Judas. 6 man was a fun match too and the best use of Marko Stunt so far in the promotion. MJF got a decent match out of Janela and loved the ending with the Bucks throwing him in the pool

I can't get into PAC at all. Not sure if it's the character or if he's just boring. I think he worked best in the WWE system. Moxley/Jericho is going to be something else.

Good to see Priscilla in AEW. Is she still in MLW or was this a one-time appearance? Didn't mind Britt's promo.

7 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

Good to see Priscilla in AEW. Is she still in MLW or was this a one-time appearance? Didn't mind Britt's promo.

She's no longer under contract with MLW. Signed a 4 date deal I believe. Zeda Zhang got injured too. A concussion I think. The MLW Women's division died a quick death.