Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 03/09 - 03/15 Working From Home Edition v1

WingedEagle

Postponing it is obviously a necessity at this point but I wonder what that will do to the WWE programming. They have already started building to the Mania matches. Are the wrestlers gonna all of sudden switch gears/focus and go for filler feuds before returning to the build of the show around May?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, PhilTLL said:

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/28900441/wrestlemania-36-jeopardy-hillsborough-county-says-pull-plug

The status of WrestleMania 36 appears to be on the ropes after Hillsborough County commissioner Les Miller said he "probably" will have to cancel the event if WWE doesn't make the decision itself because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The event, scheduled for April 5 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, is expected to attract a crowd of more than 70,000 people.

"I'm hoping that Vince McMahon and WrestleMania and WWE make the call themselves, but a week from now, if they've not done that and we're still in the situation we're in, we'll probably have to pull the plug on that," Miller said Thursday, according to Fox 13.

I'm thinking a lot of states will end up following Ohio's lead on some of their measures. In Ohio, they have banned any gathering of more than 100 people to try and slow the spread. I could see that happening or Florida not cancelling the event and just banning spectators from the arena.

1 minute ago, Tim Evans said:

Thats already happening in florida. The cap is 250 I believe. Some local indies are going on with that as a cap for crowds.

Full sail has also banned shows till the end of April.

Have they closed the schools there yet? Everything here got closed for 3 weeks and I imagine it will be for longer.

Yes most are closed to April. Hell even Disney and Universal are closed till further notice.

A TSA agent at Orlando International Airport came down with the Virus. I got to imagine they will close down the airports soon. That will end the live shows from the PC but I guess they could still do them with the local talent.

I'd be curious to see the ratio of WWE talent living in Florida compared to the rest of the country. I know that Miz has returned to LA and I also believe that Bayley lives in TX. If domestic travels are banned altogether, what do you do with champions that can't come to work because of this? Do you strip them of the titles or are they just idle until the situation resumes to normal?

17 hours ago, rovert said:

It is better cost/insurance-wise it is better for WWE that Tampa cancels Wrestlemania. It has been a pissing contest in that regard.

WWE and Tampa were working on an agreed new date yesterday. I thought they would announce it before Smackdown.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning WWE wrestlers were telling people June 7th was the likely new date. Those closer to the negotiations say mid-June to early July is the actual time horizon. 

Consider that we are looking at 2-3 months duration of this crisis in a best-case-scenario (even in China, where they have a strict curfew (which no western country has done yet to that level), it took close to two months to get it under control - that is if you believe the number announced by the Chinese government), June, 7th looks to be too soon.

8 hours ago, Robert S said:

Consider that we are looking at 2-3 months duration of this crisis in a best-case-scenario (even in China, where they have a strict curfew (which no western country has done yet to that level), it took close to two months to get it under control - that is if you believe the number announced by the Chinese government), June, 7th looks to be too soon.

Although I would assume that the weather getting warmer cannot harm the flattening of the curve.

4 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Although I would assume that the weather getting warmer cannot harm the flattening of the curve.

I certainly hope so, but the 1918 Spanish Flu went down in the summer and came back with a vengeance in the fall/winter. I would hope this time around medical science will have a cure or vaccine by then.There's doctors in Canada and here at the University of Pittsburgh that reportedly have made strides in coming up with something, so fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, SirEdger said:

Depends on where you are, here in Europe, we had an extraordinary warm winter here in Europe (nature is almost one month ahead, here in Austria, for example), so I am not sure we will see a huge effect for that reason, at least not until May or so.

Remember when running show in Saudi Arabia was the most offensive thing that we thought Vince would do in the last 5 years.  Now acting like Wrestlemania is a normal show when literally EVERY including a federal agency is telling you it shouldn't happens.    If this happened in any other sport except the WWE and in a same way the UFC they would be destroyed to the point of being irrelevant   

It seems like the only person who can effectively stop him is Brock Lesnar, Roman Reigns, or Goldberg saying fuck this I ain't wrestling in front 45,000 people

I don't even think it has to be one of the tippy top guys. If anybody on the roster made a public statement to the effect of "Screw this, I'm not working a stadium show in the middle of a goddamn pandemic," I'm sure there would be a chain reaction of other wrestlers doing likewise or at least enough media attention that running the show would no longer be feasible. The fact that nobody seems to be willing to do so is seriously alarming. They have no problem rallying to pile on Meltzer when he tweets something stupid, but they can't work together to protect their health and that of their families?

Wrestlemania is 100% not happening as scheduled, Vince just is waiting for Tampa to make the call so he doesn't have to lose any money. I'd assume the talent was told already and that's why no one's been making any statements about working the show. 

28 minutes ago, sek69 said:

Wrestlemania is 100% not happening as scheduled, Vince just is waiting for Tampa to make the call so he doesn't have to lose any money. I'd assume the talent was told already and that's why no one's been making any statements about working the show. 

Well I guess we will see about that on Monday.  If they are still building up the show then I would disagree with you.   Based on Friday you couldn't say that.  At least nobody told Roman Reigns and John Cena

They were careful not to mention April 5 as the confirmed WM date on Friday. They know the show isn't happening as planned. It's just a matter of Tampa shutting it down so Vince gets his cancellation fee.

That said, I think they'll try to do a couple of the bigger matches in some fashion. Fast 9 has been pushed back, but they can't count on Cena being available past April. Ditto with Goldberg. Lesnar probably intends to take his usual hiatus post-WM, win or lose. Vince will want some stability coming out of this situation, and having the world title scene taken care of may help with that.

I think the problem they are going to have is I don't think the city or state will cancel the show. They are just going to tell them no spectators and they need under a certain amount of people in the building. I know Vince is probably trying to get money out of insurance but I think they are going to have to make the call themselves. 

Let's not overlook how thoroughly the city of Tampa has shit the bed here. WWE can surely afford to take the insurance hit, but a lot of the indies running shows that weekend can't. By playing chicken with a giant corporation, they're screwing over a bunch of smaller companies caught in the crossfire. This is a situation where neither party looks good.