Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 03/09 - 03/15 Working From Home Edition v1

WingedEagle

But why wouldn't Tampa just postpone the event and do it a later date? Why on Earth would both sides lose the chance to make all that money? It's not like it's an obligation to have Mania now. Shit could be done in July and it doesn't really matter (is Tampa that hot in those dates that it's impossible to pull it off? then do it in September, lol). Not doing Summerslam I could understand but Mania?? makes no damn sense.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jmare007 said:

But why wouldn't Tampa just postpone the event and do it a later date? Why on Earth would both sides lose the chance to make all that money? It's not like it's an obligation to have Mania now. Shit could be done in July and it doesn't really matter (is Tampa that hot in those dates that it's impossible to pull it off? then do it in September, lol). Not doing Summerslam I could understand but Mania?? makes no damn sense.

If I could place money on it, I'd bet it will simply be postponed. Looking at the Raymond James Stadium schedule for the spring of 2020 and there is not a single event going on that brings in even 5% of what WrestleMania does. Some of them are charity events that could easily be rescheduled or relocated or, in the case of the Best Buddies Friendship Walk for individuals with disabilities, turned into part of the Mania weekend and get the WWE even more positive PR.* Some of them are also events that the performer might be actively seeking to drop from their own calendar (*cough* Justin Beiber *cough*) due to low ticket sales even before the coronavirus scare.

* I'm not sure if Vince has/had a family member with moderate-to-intensive disability like JFK did, but I will say, the WWE has consistently made itself available to many charities related to people (especially kids) with medical issues, disabilities, etc dating back to the Hulkamania years and maybe before. (My father, a clinical psychiatrist for the past 40+ years, believes this is because wrestling itself "speaks to" individuals with cognitive disabilities/mental retardation the same way Disney/Pixar movies do, but I think there may be something more to it)

So I guess with Gronk coming in that Mojo Rawly is back to "we don't get hyped we stay hyped" guy that sucked

Triple H with an incredible line saying something like "It is something how great Miz and Morrison are when dealing with no crowd noise.  Like they are used to it"  

Apparently there is video that was either leaked or actual shown on TV from some country where apparently the Sasha/Bayley vs Nikki/Alexa just stopped wrestling during the commercial and worked over spots.  Given that there are no crowds sure why not.

5 minutes ago, C.S. said:

Did Cena just turn heel with this holier-than-thou spiel? 

Well if he turned heel then basically all of Twitter is a heel because he is basically saying a lot what a good number thinks.  Hard to be a heel when you say you would rather work people like Ciampa, Dream,  and Matt Riddle instead of a Bray Wyatt 

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Well if he turned heel then basically all of Twitter is a heel because he is basically saying a lot what a good number thinks.  Hard to be a heel when you say you would rather work people like Ciampa, Dream,  and Matt Riddle instead of a Bray Wyatt 

I don't disagree, but Cena still came across as arrogant and above it all, which I doubt was the intention.

5 hours ago, jiraffejustin said:

That Roman promo could have been pretty good, but the WWEspeak was distracting. “Nuances of performance” because he couldn’t say wrestling. 

HHH dropped "Smiles on people's faces" in the first 30 seconds like they do with any kind of tragedy or public crisis. I'm not sure what the solution would be but having everyone do their video game entrances to an empty arena is maybe peak WWE.

Haven't watched Smackdown since the debut episode on FOX, but I thought this was an easy watch. All three matches were acceptable. The Cena/Wyatt stuff was great. Wyatt is a convincing promo, even with all his wacky shit. Roman's sit-down felt like it added nothing to the program. Bayley and Sasha Banks looked awkward playing to an empty arena, which I wasn't sure if it was intentional or not. I give it a week before wrestlers making jokes about playing to an empty crowd becomes a dated trope. I wonder how long they can keep this format going.

4 hours ago, Stiva said:

HHH dropped "Smiles on people's faces" in the first 30 seconds like they do with any kind of tragedy or public crisis. I'm not sure what the solution would be but having everyone do their video game entrances to an empty arena is maybe peak WWE.

I know Vince would never do it because it's too rasslin', but I wonder if they could set the PC up like the Memphis studio and just have a small number of staffers playing the crowd. Might come off more naturally.

14 hours ago, jiraffejustin said:

That Roman promo could have been pretty good, but the WWEspeak was distracting. “Nuances of performance” because he couldn’t say wrestling. 

Any time the word performance or performer is used in wrestling, it completely takes me out of the moment. Vince is so fucking obsessed with being a "legitimate mainstream entertainment program" that he has thrown all logic out the window. 

4 hours ago, FMKK said:

I know Vince would never do it because it's too rasslin', but I wonder if they could set the PC up like the Memphis studio and just have a small number of staffers playing the crowd. Might come off more naturally.

Didn't they do this for that NXT halftime match during the SuperBowl a year or two ago?

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/28900441/wrestlemania-36-jeopardy-hillsborough-county-says-pull-plug

The status of WrestleMania 36 appears to be on the ropes after Hillsborough County commissioner Les Miller said he "probably" will have to cancel the event if WWE doesn't make the decision itself because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The event, scheduled for April 5 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, is expected to attract a crowd of more than 70,000 people.

"I'm hoping that Vince McMahon and WrestleMania and WWE make the call themselves, but a week from now, if they've not done that and we're still in the situation we're in, we'll probably have to pull the plug on that," Miller said Thursday, according to Fox 13.

23 minutes ago, PhilTLL said:

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/28900441/wrestlemania-36-jeopardy-hillsborough-county-says-pull-plug

The status of WrestleMania 36 appears to be on the ropes after Hillsborough County commissioner Les Miller said he "probably" will have to cancel the event if WWE doesn't make the decision itself because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The event, scheduled for April 5 at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, is expected to attract a crowd of more than 70,000 people.

"I'm hoping that Vince McMahon and WrestleMania and WWE make the call themselves, but a week from now, if they've not done that and we're still in the situation we're in, we'll probably have to pull the plug on that," Miller said Thursday, according to Fox 13.

It is better cost/insurance-wise it is better for WWE that Tampa cancels Wrestlemania. It has been a pissing contest in that regard.

WWE and Tampa were working on an agreed new date yesterday. I thought they would announce it before Smackdown.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning WWE wrestlers were telling people June 7th was the likely new date. Those closer to the negotiations say mid-June to early July is the actual time horizon.