Pro Wrestling Only

Advice on Games

Smack2k

Hello all,

First off, I do apologize if this isnt the right area of the forum for this and I'd like to say that I am asking this question here as I know someone will either have the answers or be able to point me somewhere to get the answers on the web.

I used to be on this forum all the time as well as before this on crazymax (before PWO was created), but sadly my wrestling fandom took a backseat for the last 7 or 8 years due to family / life / work / etc....I have finally been getting the itch again, and aside from pulling out all my VHS / DVD / etc I wanted to look into the games available as I'd like to find something to book a promotion, feuds, etc and see how it does.

I have looked at overviews of Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 / WWE 2K19 / Fire Pro World, but not sure in depth what each does....what I am looking for (if possible) would be:
  1. Booking / Creating feuds / Signing / Firing Wrestlers / Building the promotion and seeing how much money I can make and how popular it gets.
  2. To be able to determine the outcomes of matches to help in booking
  3. Be able to have wrestlers (mods) you add to the game be part of the Promoter gameplay to use
  4. Create promotions and be able to put wrestlers into the promotions or be able to put added (mods) wrestlers into existing promotions...

I want to get old school NWA / Crockett as well as WCCW, AWA, etc wrestlers involved in the game somehow as well as some other older stars from my main eras (mid 80s - late 90s) to make the game more fun in a personal way....

If anyone has answers, that is great.  If you can point me somewhere I could find the details out, that would be great as well.  If this isnt allowed here and just gets deleted, I understand that as well.

Thanks ahead of time.  This place gave me some great information as well as great footage over the years, so I figured it was a good place to start out!

The WWE 2k games have insane customisation, but terrible gameplay and lack depth when it comes to booking and storylines. Fire Pro wrestling has a good level of customisation and good gameplay, not sure how good the promoter mode is cause it costs extra to buy and I haven't got round to getting it. Total Extreme Wrestling doesn't show the wrestling but has the most depth when it comes to booking and has a good amount of mods.

Fire Pro World has a promoter mode, and you can create just about any wrestler/ring style you want, and if you don't want to make it yourself there's *tons* of pre made ones you can download for free since FIre Pro has a famously loyal fanbase that makes pretty much any edit for every game in the series.

There are several mods already available for TEW 2020 from various time periods. I believe there is a mod out focused on 1985 so you might get your wish for your old school promotion. I remember playing a 1980 mod on TEW 2016 that was tons of fun as well. In terms of micromanaging, TEW gets the job done and the learning curve isn't that difficult.

If you mainly want to book shows and run a promotion, I can't recommend EWR enough. TEW is good, but it's so in-depth that a week in that game can last well over an hour if you are running more than one show. EWR is more streamlined and too the point. I just finished a game where I ran Mid-South in 1985. 

When it comes to being able to have all of the guys you could ever possibly want, Fire Pro is definitely the answer, at least the PC version, not sure about the PS4. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that hasn't been created short of one off jobbers from random tv shows. You want Mike Von Erich, they got him. You want Zan Panzer, they got him. You want Ta-Gar, Lord of the Volcano... I've never checked, but I would bet money someone has created him. Hell, you want Gandhi to wrestle Adolf Hitler in a Barbed Wire Explosion Match..... you can do that too!

I honestly have more fun watching Fire Pro matches than playing them. The engine can produce some pretty exciting match ups.

It does have a promoter mode that is DLC, but I will be honest with you, I have never played around with it. But from what I understand about it, I do think it checks off most of the things you were asking for in #1.

You could probably check out the forums at Critical Club for all the information you could possibly want.

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it.

Blehschmidt, I will be heading over to that forum to get more information.  I also enjoy watching the Fire Pro matches more than playing it, so I am with you there!

I am going to check out TEW / EWR and Fire Pro Promoter more in-depth to see how close it gets.  Cool to see the Fire Pro has all the roster talent I'd like to use, so that probably puts that game at the head of the class for me.

Again, thanks a ton!

1 hour ago, Smack2k said:

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it.

Blehschmidt, I will be heading over to that forum to get more information.  I also enjoy watching the Fire Pro matches more than playing it, so I am with you there!

I am going to check out TEW / EWR and Fire Pro Promoter more in-depth to see how close it gets.  Cool to see the Fire Pro has all the roster talent I'd like to use, so that probably puts that game at the head of the class for me.

Again, thanks a ton!

If you are going to look into EWR, let me throw another link at you. EW Battleground is a long running forum, and they have a section for EWR. You will be able to find links to several real world updates for the game including modern day, and I am sure classic era's.

I'm a lot like you with Fire Pro, I like setting tournaments and just let everybody fight it out. (FWIW, I have the Day 1 Special NJPW Release,  which has a bunch of New Japan guys and belts included.)

They do have a Mission mode, which gets you more experience with the gameplay, and a Career mode,where you work your way from the NJPW Dojo to an overseas excursion (they have an SWA with a bunch of game characters) to the NJPW main roster. Along the way, you befriend Super Strong Machine, Yuji Nagata & the G.B.H. Togi Makabe and Tomoaki Honma (who does nothing but cuss, lol).

Be cautious about adding wrestlers; a lot have DLC items now which would make them useless if you don't own the expansion packs. (Which killed 3/4ths of my Women's roster when the first DLC was released.)

I don't add wrestlers to the group, but two I had to create were The Crusher & Vivian Vachon. But yeah, almost anybody you could possibly think of is likely there.

For the record, Bob Backlund is my IWGP US Champion. He defeated Nick Bockwinkel in the finals of a 64 wrestler tournament after Nick hit his piledriver, picked Bob up to slap on the Oriental sleeper, and Bob ducked away to hit HIS piledriver.

An earlier match had Bob against Samoan Afa (with Lou Albano) and Sika ran in for a match ECW fans would dig. (Bob overcomes the odds!)

Pampero Firpo is another titleholder.

Thumbs way up.

Edited by JustYourAvgBozo
Elaborate further on excursion

I could be totally wrong on this, but I swear I remember someone saying that the career mode is pretty intensive. Not overly hard, but fairly long.

Another thing that Fire Pro has done is they recently released the final piece of DLC (for free) which allows for the players to make their own moves, and people are putting out some amazing stuff. Pretty much all of the modern day finishing moves that weren't in the game are being made. But people are also doing the simple stuff, like hammerlocks, standing wristlocks, and things like that to help balance out movesets. Someone put up Curt Hennig's Rolling Neck Snap the other day, and I couldn't have been happier.

Also, if people are considering buying Fire Pro. You might keep your eye open for Steam sales if you are planning to purchase the PC version. They pretty regularly put the main game and all  of the DLC (except for Stardom 2 and Parts Craft, the two newest ones and the Takayama charity DLCs) on sale at pretty deep discounts. I feel like the PS4 version is on sale pretty regularly too.

1 hour ago, Smack2k said:

That is awesome.....

In terms of discount, how much?  They have something right now for the game, the parts maker, and some other content for 35% off....

if we are talking for PS4, I don't know the answer. I just see it pop up among the sale stuff some times, but I don't bother to pay attention since I already have it.

If you are looking at the PC version. 35% off is pretty average. Sometimes it is a little less at 25, and sometimes when they have one of their Holiday Sales, it can go a little bigger, maybe up to 50%.

When it comes to the DLC's....

Entrance Craft is probably the biggest waste of money. It does give you a couple new arenas, but the ability to make entrances for guys, when the entrances only last like 15 seconds, really isn't worth the 20 bucks for the DLC.

The Takayama DLC don't come with a whole lot, but the money from them is going straight to helping Takayama with his recovery, so for 6 bucks, a new move, a couple rings, some shirt parts, and Takayama himself seemed worth it.

The Bundle with Parts Craft, Fire Promoter, Fighting Road, and the 3 NJPW DLC's while  pricey is a good start, as it will give the story mode, the promoter mode, all of the New Japan guys, and unlock a ton of CAW parts and moves that you will probably find on the CAWs that you would be looking to download.

The Stardom DLC's include a bunch of Stardom wrestlers, and more moves and parts. You may come across wrestlers you are trying to download that use these parts or moves, and without the DLC, you are shit out of luck. The Stardom 1 DLC has been on sale for 50% off multiple times. Stardom 2 has never been more than a couple bucks off, but it is still one of the newest pieces of DLC.

Move Craft is free, and is amazing.

It seems we are a bunch of people who very much enjoy letting the fight engine do its thing with Fire Pro!

Which reminds me that I haven't popped in Fire Pro Returns on my PS2 in ages and I'll incessantly feel the urge to do so again...thanks to you, guys!

I will say that a game with TEWs persistent world and EWRs interface would be a dream because everything surrounding the part where you have to actually play the game is fantastic in TEW. It’s just the slog of booking shows has barely been alleviated, even if you can change it to be slightly more EWR, it still doesn’t absolve the ridiculous UI that he won’t switch from.

• 6 months later...

I was going to put this in the original Fire Pro World thread but, this seems a little more recent. If anyone has been on the fence about getting FPWW then now looks like the time. On the PS store, just about everything, main game & DLC's are 50% off or more. The Deluxe Edition is under $30 and has the main game, the promoter DLC & Jr Heavyweight DLC (which has additional moves and wrestlers). On top of all of that there is a move editor which lets you make your own moves and is free to download. That was mentioned above. Its a little complex but, you can download moves that others have made so the sky is the limit. Spike Chunsoft has officially ended their ongoing support/content but, clearly want the game and community to live on.