Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - September 2, 2020

MoS

I’m glad they got some seriousness back into MJF but that almost feels like the angle they should have run last week with a recap this. I also agree that the Bucks/Page/Omega stuff is far too cute but the Bucks trying to be too clever by half isn’t anything new. Serena as the women’s midcard veteran feels like a good role for her, especially considering how green a lot of their women are.

But we can call this show a success because it had a Luchasaurus hot tag that contained no contrived strike exchanges with guys who never usually do them.

8 hours ago, peachchaos said:

Yeah, this shit sucks but it’s not surprising since they’ve always tried to be way too smart in booking their own arcs. Who can follow any of this and why should we care?

I don't see what's confusing about it. FTR came in pretending to be friends with everyone, worked Page into screwing the Bucks last week, have got him isolated from his partner and kicked out of his stable and then they showed they were using him the whole time. 

Okay but what does that accomplish? How does it help the story or any of the wrestlers? Hangman looks stupid and gullible, something which wrestling faces should never look, the Bucks look like jerks who are terrible friends, and Omega, I don't even know, he looks like a douche who is high and doesn't understand or care what's happening

The Page/Omega/Young Bucks storyline is the best stuff going on in pro-wrestling, has been for a long while. Because they are real human beings with real complex emotions you can relate to, as opposed to "bad guys vs good guys" or gimmicks. And they are all so good with little details, like Page looking like he has not been sleeping in days, Bucks not doing their usual pose during their intro and basically acting pissed and frustrated. It's so above anything else in term of long-term storytelling, it's ridiculous. The match with FTR has MOTYC written all over it on paper, to the point anything less would be a disappointment.

The "lawyer" is a pro-wrestler, right ? I mean, he was really good. And yeah, total Cornette outfit. Total Cornette act, really.

Thunder Rosa vs Serena Deeb was excellent. As expected, Rosa came off looking like a star like she did in NWA, and Deeb looked better than 90% of the women roster. They sure should signe her, as she must have been a pretty decent coach too. But keep in on TV working with the girls. The shape she's in too... The whole thing gives NWA some great visibility, but honestly I wish AEW would just get Thunder Rosa. Can we get Kamille to show up also ?

Yeah, Britt better win that feud and move on, this is really not good at all.

So Matt Hardy gone already (Sammy would need to win a big one) ? And coming back as another schyzophrenic incarnation ?

The "battle royal" clearly had no direction whatsoever to the point it was almost comical Like, ok, how to get those people out of the ring ? :lol:

Meanwhile, that show lacked a Dark Order in-ring segment. Yeah, that's how far the gimmick has come to me.

JR's line of the week "These women aren't afraid to break a nail." Yeah, that's how you put the women division over, JR... 

PPV looks terrific on paper with the three title matches, Jericho vs Orange, Sammy vs Matt in a blood feud match, a cool multi-match with Dark Order vs Cody's "family" and Young Bucks vs Jurassik Express (or Lucha Express if you listen to JR) which could be the sleeper.

2 hours ago, MoS said:

Okay but what does that accomplish? How does it help the story or any of the wrestlers? Hangman looks stupid and gullible, something which wrestling faces should never look, the Bucks look like jerks who are terrible friends, and Omega, I don't even know, he looks like a douche who is high and doesn't understand or care what's happening

It's character development for FTR to slowly get them over as heels as opposed to being 'aren't we so evil' caricatures, as well as putting off an FTR vs The Bucks match until later. It gave a solid reason for The Elite to actually break up and they're setting up Page as insecure etc. so that he has adversity to overcome. He's going to eat the pin on Saturday and then Kenny is going to turn on him and he'll be at his lowest point. And then they'll do the slow build to him going over Kenny for the belt at All Out 2021 or whatever. 

There is a general sense of confusion all around with the Elite storyline. The workers and announcers sell it. It makes the supposed top baby faces look like a bunch of chumps. Not sure I want wrestlers portrayed as real people tbh. I’m all for the Bucks and Kenny going heel or however this turns out, just haven’t been entertained by the build since it has felt like a chore. And now they’ve booked a 5+ star match that’s also somehow going to be the culmination of this angle? If they can pull it off I will no doubt tip my hat. So I can’t say this isn’t an angle that peaks interest.