Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Road Warrior Animal

ButchReedMark

It looks like this came out of nowhere since he was still taking bookings for appearances and was scheduled to be at Jerry Lawler's 50th anniversary celebration on Saturday.

Sadly, 60 puts him at the high end of longevity for his peer group. Nikita Koloff, Barry Darsow, and John Nord are just about the only ones left from that crew of Minnesota wrestlers who broke into the business in the early 80s.

I got to see The Road Warriors many times live in the 80s and they were the real deal. They had an aura and everything they did look devastating. It’s funny because they could run out to their music, maul their opponents for MAYBE a minute tops, and you wouldn’t feel like you got cheated.

Them hitting the ring was like waiting on a hurricane to hit and then looking at the wreckage afterwards. Living until 60 is nothing outside of wrestling but it might as well be living to 100 in wrestling. I always loved Animal’s steadiness within the team. He was the anchor. He’ll be missed.

1 hour ago, Sweet Brown Koko said:

I got to see The Road Warriors many times live in the 80s and they were the real deal. They had an aura and everything they did look devastating. It’s funny because they could run out to their music, maul their opponents for MAYBE a minute tops, and you wouldn’t feel like you got cheated.

Them hitting the ring was like waiting on a hurricane to hit and then looking at the wreckage afterwards. Living until 60 is nothing outside of wrestling but it might as well be living to 100 in wrestling. I always loved Animal’s steadiness within the team. He was the anchor. He’ll be missed.

100% this. Road Warriors matches, even squashes, were an event for sure.  The look, the music, the promos,  the Doomsday Device finish.....all of it was amazing to see.

2 minutes ago, MoS said:

Are the Roadies the bigest drawing tag team of the last 30 years? Who else is even in the conversation? 

RIP. A first ballot hall of famer.

Worldwide for sure.  Any US teams would be far behind them. Might make an argument for some teams in Japan, but I don't think there's ever been a team that's been able to draw in both countries like the Roadies.

5 hours ago, MoS said:

Are the Roadies the bigest drawing tag team of the last 30 years? Who else is even in the conversation? 

RIP. A first ballot hall of famer.

I think it's very telling of the impact the Road Warriors had in the business when somebody like my dad, who never really liked or watched pro wrestling, knew who were the Road Warriors and was impressed by their look. That's how you know you're a draw.