Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 21, 2020

MoS

On 10/22/2020 at 5:46 PM, gordi said:

Not being contrarian, not being ironic: I loved that bit. 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:22 AM, Superstar Sleeze said:

I fucking love Jericho/MJF that is my shit!

This and this. 

I have no idea what to say to people who did not enjoy it apart from "You're watching the wrong show." And damn, MJF can sing !

This, the Eddie promos (that guy, shows up a few months ago and is now main eventing a PPV.... picture him signing with WWE now and have a laugh), the AWESOME Omega entrance and entire "match" including post-match, the fact the Lucha Brothers had an insanely great TV match despite the fact Fenix ganso-bombed himself from the top rope... 

Hopefully Reynolds is ok. It was almost surreal to see him not move and it's like people around him were like "Hey, great selling man !". Him and Silver really can shine way above their level, Silver especially has "cult favourite" written all over him (of course it was obvious to anyone watching BTE).

9 hours ago, SirEdger said:

Reports from the taping of next week's Dynamite suggest that Abadon suffered a serious injury in her match against Tay Conti that needed for her to be hospitalized. Don't know exactly what happened but from what I read, could be a torn ACL.

I *think* the kick sequence Tay does (Daniel Bryan's YES Kicks basically) caught her in the throat. Tay's rhythm on them has always been off.

But yeah I read the same speculation that it is a torn ACL too.

Edited by rovert

1 hour ago, NintendoLogic said:

Meltzer is also reporting that the impression was a throat injury.

If the Brie Bella/Liv Morgan situation taught us anything, it's that women really shouldn't be doing yes kicks, especially green women. The area they have to aim for is much smaller (above the breasts and below the head), so the margin of error is much lower.

With Abadon's face makeup and eye contacts, it would likely be even harder to assess when/where to throw the next kick.

3 hours ago, rovert said:

I *think* the kick sequence Tay does (Daniel Bryan's YES Kicks basically) caught her in the throat. Tay's rhythm on them has always been off.

But yeah I read the same speculation that it is a torn ACL too.

I guess that would make more sense with the hospitalization and "serious injury" parts.

If the Brie Bella/Liv Morgan situation taught us anything, it's that women really shouldn't be doing yes kicks, especially green women. The area they have to aim for is much smaller (above the breasts and below the head), so the margin of error is much lower.

I agree with that assessment, although I think that the Brie/Liv and Tay/Abadon situations are slightly different; with Brie, it definitely was a case of ring rust as she had multiple incidents in that last run (as I remember, she also botched a tope about a week before knocking out Liv) while with Tay, it could indeed be a matter of still being green. Unless you're a seasoned veteran and absolutely know what you're doing, especially as a woman, I agree that the YES kick sequence should be left to the guys.

Enjoyed the show as per, especially the first tournament hour but is that ending angle supposed to put sympathy on a team who have spent a month attacking non-wrestlers and throwing money around like arrogant dickheads? Should FTR, the heels, be the ones giving them their just desserts?

14 minutes ago, Stiva said:

Enjoyed the show as per, especially the first tournament hour but is that ending angle supposed to put sympathy on a team who have spent a month attacking non-wrestlers and throwing money around like arrogant dickheads? Should FTR, the heels, be the ones giving them their just desserts?

Agreed. Heel v. heel was a weird enough vibe, and then they do that injury angle.

Generally a very good episode, in large part, I think, from keeping matches at a tolerable length. No FTR ~18 minute opener where they go 50/50 and win with some cheating. A crisp 10 minute opener was just what we needed.

Yeah, I think the Bucks work better as obnoxious heels and it feels like they are doing the FTR feud because both sides teased it forever on Twitter. I've been enjoying them superkicking randos backstage and tossing wads of cash at Tony to pay the fines, and it diminishes their act since Tully is such a great old school heel and FTR are good at new school heel tactics. If we had crowds, all you had to do is have FTR basically parrot Jim Cornette promos (the anti AEW ones, not the uh.... "other" ones) and have their fanbase foaming at the mouth angry.

Agreed with everyone here. Bucks are best as heels but that also means holding off the FTR match until FTR turns and thus there is a clear face-heel dynamic in the match. In the last segment, Bucks seemingly turned back faces for no reason, and thus I had no reason to root for them or feel bad for them.

I thought the musical was crappy. Absolutely terrible. And I am from India: every single major movie we make is a musical. I certainly have no issues with the concept in general. I spent my entire childhood singing and dancing along. This segment still cane out of nowhere and had no logic apart from the fact that Jericho wanted to do this stupid shit cuz he really, in his self-delusion, thinks he is a great singer. This was just minutes after Kingston and Mox cut all-time great level promos on each other. No wonder the quarter died in the ratings. Hopefully they never do it again.