Pro Wrestling Only

AEW Dynamite - October 21, 2020

MoS

3 hours ago, MoS said:

This Jericho-MJF song shit is terrible and I bet this was Jericho's idea. His worst ideas ate absolutely horrible and this is actively ruining MJF for me

I haven't seen the segment yet, but an actual Tony Award winner just praised it.

It was actually pretty good as a song and dance routine, but it didn't really fit on the show. 

Having said that, I don't begrudge them for trying stuff. They've shown a track record of either fixing or punting on things that don't work, so I don't mind them doing off the wall stuff.

They booked themselves into a corner with that steakhouse debonair. Either it could have played out like a typical wrestling segment which who cares, or they could go big and get people talking. At least they justified the reason to do the whole bit beyond just dragging things out.

Not being contrarian, not being ironic: I loved that bit. 

I thought I was burned out on wrestling after the G1, but I enjoyed every minute of Dynamite this week. So much variety from match to match, and so much entertaining BS on top of everything that happened in the ring.

I don't quite mind having genre-bending/breaking segments on wrestling shows. I can't really say I thought it was great or anything and I believe it has to do with the talent involved, but it could be something to explore in the future.

Kudos for trying, tho. Jericho sure has many ideas.

Also,  poor Alex Reynolds got knocked the fuck out and not a single person checked on him for quite a while. That's rough.

I fucking love Jericho/MJF that is my shit! Pro wrestling should be fun and that was killer all around. Definitely helps that Jericho can sing. Jericho's mannerisms are so on point. He had me and my brother rolling. AEW needs to take more big chances like this if it wants to grow. This was awesome. 

The only thing better was the Orange Cassidy promo! Holy Shit! They needed to find a voice for that gimmick and BILL FUCKING BELLICHICK IS THAT VOICE! MARK OUT CITY! I went from LOATHING Orange Cassidy when I first saw him at Beyond's New Year's Eve show 2018 to really starting to enjoy him to Jericho feud to now being totally onboard with OC!

I thought the promos on this show were incredible! Big reason they kept them short and sweet. A pro wrestling promo should be about 2 minutes, 5 minutes max. I dont like Moxley at all, but that was a fucking good, cogent, coherent promo. Kingston is the man. A lot of people would overlook that Cody promo or phone it in, but not my man Cody that was a fucking killer promo, talking about putting on weight and why he did it. I love it. Hell even Rusev's promo was good. I was trying to be the cool dude not anymore. Loved that! 

I thought the Wardlow performance was really good, but I wish they inverted the layout. Jungle Boy hot, fast break shine and then Wardlow kills him dead. Rather than Kill Him Dead and then he resurrects, but it is 2020 and psychology is dead. :( I just wished people remembered/realized there are levels to selling. Everyone has forgotten about register. Everything is this "epic" "death" sell and just undercuts the whole match. 

The Cleaner is coming...I'll keep an open mind...but I am not exactly thrilled at the prospect of "Mr. Seven Star" going long every single Dynamite with his "epic" selling and 8 bajillion V-Triggers. 

7 hours ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also,  poor Alex Reynolds got knocked the fuck out and not a single person checked on him for quite a while. That's rough.

This moment-by-moment pictorial account of the situation makes AEW look so astonishingly bad and unprofessional, mere weeks after the Matt Hardy debacle.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2020/10/22/21529009/alex-reynolds-knocked-out-aew-dynamite-scary-dark-order

AEW really needs to get their shit together when it comes to worker safety and concussion protocols.

Keep it classy, Jelly Janela...

I see the pros and cons to this: AEW treating its wrestlers like actual "independent contractors" and allowing them to do other things is good under normal circumstances, but moonlighting on indie rasslin' shows - especially when you don't have to - is an absolute hazard during these Covid times.

It does say something when the Blade did more to help the guy by dragging him (mostly) out of the way to the corner than any of the doctors did for several minutes.

Sometimes in all the action you can excuse not noticing someone is legit KO'd, but when the person in question is out to the point they were doing the fencing motion (when one or both arms are stuck in a straight out position) there's no excuse not to notice that. 

It seems like he's okay at least in a "he's up and walking around" sense, but that was all sorts of not good. 

1 hour ago, C.S. said:

This moment-by-moment pictorial account of the situation makes AEW look so astonishingly bad and unprofessional, mere weeks after the Matt Hardy debacle.

The thing is that there's no way no one noticed he was knocked out. Blade had to drag his body and raise his hand to tag himself in (great timing on following the rules). Butcher was standing there looking at him.

How the fuck no one noticed the dude was out? How didn't anyone at gorilla call an audible? How did no one announcing call attention to it?

It's one thing for fans to not notice it when you watch the match on TV (I didn't even know about this until I read about it on Twitter this morning) but it's another when the staff & wrestlers don't. At least, The Blade did something about it, although it wasn't optimal by any stretch.

With that said, it is high time that Tony Khan, Cody & the rest of the staff get their shit together when it comes to some of their referees and make sure they know what they're doing because there are very few in the past year that can look themselves in the mirror and say "I think I did a pretty solid job in this first AEW year".

You'd think after all the uproar over the Matt Hardy incident that AEW would be all over any potential concussion/ head trauma injuries, but no, here's an EVP of the company watching a spaced-out Alex Reynolds stumble to his feet and hitting him with a running knee and a bulldog. Just horrible to watch