Pro Wrestling Only

DVD #2: Bret Hart vs Yokozuna

Loss

I don't know about this match as I haven't seen it yet but the MSG one proves Bret Hart is one of the best wrestlers of all time.

Yokozuna has always been an underrated wrestler. Charasmatic and he stood out. Come to think of it, I can't even think of one guy in the WWE who currently stands out as much or is as charasmatic as Yokozuna.

• 4 weeks later...

I also haven't seen this match yet, but I saw a Bret/Yoko cage match at a house show in Des Moines around this same time period and it's still one of my favorite cage matches of all-time, live or on tape. Just an awesome finish that I won't spoiler because I assume this match from Maine uses the same finish. Yoko was so fat that he couldn't get through the door on the first few attempts, so they had to make some sort of last-minute alteration to the cage door area to fit him in.

You know, people would watch this and jump on the fact that it's Bret in there and that's why the match is good, but Yoko was probably one of the best big man workers ever. It warps a lot of people on the internet's minds that someone that size isn't automatically horrible, but I think it's safe to say there probably won't be another guy that size who works that well. Most superheavyweights tend to be the "I'm just going to fall on you" variety, but Yoko would actually bust out the MOOVZ~! and his team with Owen was one of the highlights in the WWF that year.

Am I wrong for saying I feel Yoko is Bret's best opponent overall? I thought they always had good matches together and this is no different. When Yoko was in his prime, He could bump like no other big man. The finish is typical WWF cage matches but that doesn't matter. Good match and one of my favorites on the DVD besides Morton/Lawler.

And Johnny Polo/Gorilla as a duo was great. Raven was seriously underrated as an announcer. He would be perfect for TNA.

Man this was a revision of Yokozuna. I think the last time I saw a Yokozuna match I was a 14 year old cunty Scott Keith reading smark, so of course he sucked because he never did a dragonrana. But man he was a fantastic seller. He's so massive that just him missing an elbow drop really gets the crowd into a possible comeback spot because they would expect him to be so dominant, that one missed move would be like a monumental opening for the face. He also had some really nice looking body slams in this match, and some good dazed vulnerable monster selling.

Loved the commentary team too. Polo had a really Bobby Henan-esque feel here, so it's no surprise he matched up well with Gorilla.

Really interested to see some more Yoko with a more 'enlightened' perspective now.

• 1 month later...

Monsters who sell are always better than monsters who don't.

Yokozuna did a lot of selling. Vader did a lot of selling.

The ones that suck are usually the ones that don't sell.

It should be noted that monsters who only sell might be worse than either of those other two things. Haven't watched TNA in a while, but Abyss always oversold to the point that his monster heel gimmick felt more like a rib than anything. Great Khali doesn't sell like Vader/Yoko/Henry/Umaga/Bigelow/JBL/Foley/et al, but would rather watch his stuff than Abyss expecting me to buy into his monster heel stuff when pinballing for Sonjay Dutt or whatever. Pretty widely accepted that Morishima's biggest weakness as a worker is how he oversells for juniors. Not a huge Brody fan, but would rather watch Brody stiff guys and refuse to bump than watch Mori flop around for Kotaro Suzuki.

I don't know about this match as I haven't seen it yet but the MSG one proves Bret Hart is one of the best wrestlers of all time.

Yokozuna has always been an underrated wrestler. Charasmatic and he stood out. Come to think of it, I can't even think of one guy in the WWE who currently stands out as much or is as charasmatic as Yokozuna.

I watched this and it was a pretty good match but the MSG match is a much more enjoyable experience and it is definitely the number 1 Bret vs Yokozuna match I've seen. I saw some differences and similarities here.

I included this match because it has the best video quality, but I do not think it is the best Hart/Yoko cage match.

If people here are intrigued enough by what was offered here to watch a better match, only as a handheld with some VQ sacrifices, please let me know and I will include it at some point in the future.

I included this match because it has the best video quality, but I do not think it is the best Hart/Yoko cage match.

If people here are intrigued enough by what was offered here to watch a better match, only as a handheld with some VQ sacrifices, please let me know and I will include it at some point in the future.

I'd definitely be up for that.

• 3 months later...
Guest DietSoda

S.L.L. are you more a fan of big guys or the somewhat small technical wrestlers? Just wondering, as I myself am NOT a fan of big men in wrestling.

No. I said big guys who don't sell. Yokozuna sold, as pointed out. Not a great wrestler, but knew how to react to damage.

True, but you led with this without elaboration in a largely positive 4 month old thread:

S.L.L. are you more a fan of big guys or the somewhat small technical wrestlers? Just wondering, as I myself am NOT a fan of big men in wrestling.

Man, the Shorties section of WWE 24/7 has a Yoko/Jake/Ahmed vs Owen/Bulldog/Vader match up as part of the Wrestlemania Lost Classics theme. I totally forgot how awesome Yoko's face run was. He got the hot tag and the crowd went nuts for it. Even though he was getting ridiculously large by that point, he was still surprisingly fast and hitting moves.

The only other superheavyweight style wrestler I can think of who was even somewhat close as a worker was Viscera, but the Big Daddy V gimmick has him just as a generic brawler now (albeit a 500 pound one).

I think Yoko's best quality was that he could get his opponent over as a worthy challenger. Considering how huge he was, it's a good accomplishment.

There's a match from a Raw in '93, against Crush, the one where he sidelined him by attacking him after the match, that is probably the best match Brian Adams ever had, simply because Yoko sold and laid the match out in a way he was seen as an equal to the the champion. That wasn't booking, that was the match. Good stuff that honestly surprised me by how good it was.

No. I said big guys who don't sell. Yokozuna sold, as pointed out. Not a great wrestler, but knew how to react to damage.

True, but you led with this without elaboration in a largely positive 4 month old thread:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now and explain that I like pretty much anything as long as it's done well. My original post pretty much covers the rest:

It should be noted that monsters who only sell might be worse than either of those other two things. Haven't watched TNA in a while, but Abyss always oversold to the point that his monster heel gimmick felt more like a rib than anything. Great Khali doesn't sell like Vader/Yoko/Henry/Umaga/Bigelow/JBL/Foley/et al, but would rather watch his stuff than Abyss expecting me to buy into his monster heel stuff when pinballing for Sonjay Dutt or whatever. Pretty widely accepted that Morishima's biggest weakness as a worker is how he oversells for juniors. Not a huge Brody fan, but would rather watch Brody stiff guys and refuse to bump than watch Mori flop around for Kotaro Suzuki.

So, as I see it:

Yokozuna > Great Khali > Abyss

or....

Yokozuna > Bruiser Brody > Takeshi Morishima when fighting juniors

Jury is still out where Mori's work against heavies fits into that picture. He's ahead of Brody, but not sure yet if he's ahead of Yoko, as I'm kinda rediscovering Yoko and it seems too soon in Mori's run to judge him on that scale.