Pro Wrestling Only

William Regal vs Arn Anderson

elliott

Who is better, Arn Anderson or Steven Regal?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better GWE Candidate, Arn or Regal?

• Arn Anderson
    • William Regal

These two are right next to each other in my ranks and it really just depends on the day.

I think if you pulled some matches out of a hat for me to watch I’d pick Regal, who I find just a tad more entertaining in TV matches. Also, Regal was probably my favorite wrestler to watch in 1993-4, something I couldn’t say about Arn for any period. 

But Arn is in more of my all time favorite matches: Wargames 87, w Ole vs the RnR Express, w Larry vs Dustin and Steamboat. I know we aren’t including mic work for GWE purposes, but I prefer Arn a tad there. 

This feels too close to call but curious to hear from others. 

Love Regal, but Arn wins this for me. Regal was great as a weekly TV wrestler, but while Arn never had a main event singles run, he still had moments of greatness, and I think his highs are better than Regal's highs. I am actually struggling to think of a signature Regal match outside his WCW Finlay series and his, I want to say, 2013 NXT match with Cesaro, which was an easy 4.5 stars for me 

Ooh that's a really great match. Props to bringing it up, I had shamefully forgotten about it.

I don't think the match is particularly good, but Arn's performance in the singles match against Flair, where he is trying to show Flair and the world that he is not a sidekick, and that the success of the Horsemen was as much down to him as it was to Flair, is a performance that I have always felt was memorable. I love Flair, but Arn overshadowed him in that match 

2 hours ago, MoS said:

Love Regal, but Arn wins this for me. Regal was great as a weekly TV wrestler, but while Arn never had a main event singles run, he still had moments of greatness, and I think his highs are better than Regal's highs. I am actually struggling to think of a signature Regal match outside his WCW Finlay series and his, I want to say, 2013 NXT match with Cesaro, which was an easy 4.5 stars for me 

Regal had classics with Ambrose in FCW (two of them). I'd take those over the Hero match.

I actually have not watched those Ambrose matches. I have actually seen very little of Moxley's FCW/NXT "Dean Ambrose" run. Would you recommend it? I don't know the storyline behind those Regal matches, but I have to imagine there was a hot story there for them to match Amborse with Regal. 

I love both guys, especially Dangerous Alliance era Arn and WCW TV title era Regal, but I think 19 and 21 are ridiculously high. They're both great performers, but not that good. Regal was probably the better singles worker, but Arn had plenty of good singles matches and was a better tag and multi-man worker than Regal. Arn's run was short, but Regal pissed away a chunk of his prime with addictions. Regal started too late to work good WoS bouts while Arn took a while to piece it all together. Arn probably had more range. He could work like an Anderson and pinball like a Buddy Rogers. He was intense on the mic, but showed plenty of ass in the ring. Regal did a great job with his gimmick, but it was mostly comedy. Regal was the better wrestler. It's close, and I think it's fitting that they're paired together, but I went with Arn. 

12 hours ago, MoS said:

Regal vs. Larry Z is his signature WCW match. You should check out his series with Flair as well. 

On 6/13/2021 at 8:28 AM, MoS said:

I actually have not watched those Ambrose matches. I have actually seen very little of Moxley's FCW/NXT "Dean Ambrose" run. Would you recommend it? I don't know the storyline behind those Regal matches, but I have to imagine there was a hot story there for them to match Amborse with Regal. 

If I'm honest, I'd just focus on those and give FCW a miss unless you're keen on seeing how some of the guys started out.

It was definitely a product of the times and found itself in a weird mix of mid 2000s WWE style and late 00s indy excess. I loved the three-way with the Shield members at the time, and really got into the Richie Steamboat F15 matches but I also thought Rollins was fantastic so I am really not going to believe any of that holds up now. I've watched the Regal/Ambrose stuff a good many times and it gets better each time thanks to Regal's selling.

While Shawn/Toyota is my "Matchup between 2 people who had tons of great matches but I think they were both my least favorite type of workers" this is the "2 guys whose actual ability as wrestlers is much higher then the number of great matches they had." Luckily for me, I rate the wrestler, and not the matches. And these 2 are fucking gems, and both are almost 100% gonna be in my top 20, both incredible all around talents with amazing versatility. The differential is quite simple: Arn was actively amazing for about a decade and change and Regal was actively amazing for about 2 decades. So, for me, it's Regal. He was my No.4 in 2016. Even with me adding a bunch more names to my knowledge pool, I still think he's a top 5 contender for me, and Arn isn't quite there imo.