Pro Wrestling Only

WWE Heck in a Cell 2021

sek69

The first 10 minutes of the preshow on Peacock had a CDN error with a cute cat.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), it's working now.

I am honestly not very hyped for Hell in a Cell. Not a single match on it has earned the Cell stipulation, but that's far from a new issue with this show.

Giving away Roman vs. Rey on Smackdown was a real-scratcher - foregone conclusion or not.

In the old days, they would've given Rey the feel-good win on SD and had Roman regain it two days later at HIAC. While I'm generally not a fan of such hotshot title changes, WWE really could do with something unpredictable right about now.

The matches that should have had the Cell - Seth vs. Cesaro and KO vs. Sami - didn't. Boggles my mind.

I'm sure the actual wrestling is fun, but I'm officially checked out. It's on mute and subtitles are on.

There are no stakes here. Absolutely nothing matters. They could've rolled dice to book the winners and it wouldn't make a difference.

Feels like such a holding pattern show before crowds come back. 

What the fuck is this? Please tell me there is some larger context to this, and this GIF just cherrypicks the worst moment of the sequence. Because otherwise, this looks genuinely embarrassing, the exact kind of shit the WWE Twitter army would give shit to AEW for weeks. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I don't care, because I'm a Lashley fan, but it's wild that they have had him dominate Drew for this feud. If it's leading to Drew having to figure out a way to get one last shot even though the stip says he can't get another shot at Bobby? That's long term storytelling I can get behind. 

You would get behind storytelling that outrightly and explicitly ignores and shits on the exact stipulation that this match, and the entire PPV, was sold on?

"If it's leading up to Luger having to figure out a way to get one last shot even though the stip says he can't get another shot at Flair Yokozuna? That's long term storytelling I can get behind." --No one ever.

Also, you need to do better than having a fucking distraction roll-up in a HIAC match if the goal is for McIntyre to get screwed and then find a way around it.

I'm beyond sick of WWE shitting on stipulations.  I don't care if they come up with a clever way to get out of it, they do it all the f'n time and it's a joke.

I hope they honor the stip.  Have Lashley lose to someone else eventually (ideally Lesnar, but who knows what WWE is thinking these days when it comes to him).  And if/when Drew gets the belt back down the line, Lashley is set up perfectly to be his first major challenger.  Have Drew finally get his win then

Lashley-->Brock-->Drew

Drew is built back up properly over time and you've got Roman on the other brand for a big Mania match

57 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah, because there are ways to make it work. Babyfaces put into that situation is as old as wrestling. Shit, put a mask on Drew and call him Charlie Bhruithainn from Outta Town .

I mean if Drew comes back in a mask and calls himself the Midnight Rider, I would on a personal level mark the fuck out, but overall it would also be really stupid and would only hurt the promotion.

A lot of old-time tricks do not work in the modern weekly primetime wrestling. JCP found this out the hard way, when all their "Dusty Finishes" (which had existed long before Dusty was around and was used to draw money in a ton of territories) led to fans getting burnt and no longer investing in the promotion or its matches. Imo the same thing will happen here, except it probably already has happened, becaue WWE has spent the last 20 years that match stipulations do not actually matter 

56 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Also, regarding Charlotte, the clip is *slightly* less bad when you hear what she's saying.

It still fucking sucks and Charlotte seems uninterested at this point.

This honestly seems to me like someone came up with an idea to incorporate "reality" into storyline, except they did not think of how it would appear when it plays out in real time. Cuz this one just makes Rhea look like an idiot. As it is, she has been damaged so bad in the last year. Do we need to keep doing this to her? 

Charlotte seems to have actively regressed as a wrestler. She was always the least of the 4 Horsewoman in my opinion, even when she was the only one amongst them who got pushed; even when she was getting a stronger push than the other three combined. She has always been behind Sasha and Becky in terms of being big stars and actual draws, and she is behind Bayley in terms of being a good in-ring general. But she was at least always competent, even though she would always have botches. Since her return though, she seems to have lost all of her timing. She botches basically every big spot she is supposed to do; in fact, her matches are frequently littered with blown spots. Her storylines are not just about terrible booking but with good to great matches, they are now about terrible booking with extremely underwhelming-to-downright bad wrestling matches.

I am not sure what has happened, but she seems like she has lost the only redeeming feature she had: being a part of great matches. Thus, now, not only does she look like the least of the four Horsewomen, in my opinion, she looks even worse; she looks like someone actively being an impediment in the progress of women wrestlers much better and with a much stronger connection with fans than she does.

The fact that some of you are actively wanting more Bobby vs. Drew means this must've been a success somewhere to someone. It was good while it lasted, but I'm personally sick of the pairing and more than ready to move on.

I know it's fashionable to blame Charlotte, and I'm not discounting how stale and overexposed she is (I'm sick of her too), but when fans come back, I think it's going to be exposed very quickly that Rhea isn't over at all. Completely ice cold, has no discernible character to speak of ("punk girl" or whatever the fuck her look is supposed to be isn't a character), and they've either fired (Ruby Riott) or under-utilize (Nikki Cross) people who have similar personality traits but do it much better.   

I think Rhea does have potential and upside - she'll probably be fine in the long run - but for everyone who ever bitched about Roman Reigns' early face push, well, Rhea's feels even more inorganic (on a smaller scale). After losing to Charlotte at WrestleMania, Rhea spent the rest of the year treading water in NXT. Then she lost the Royal Rumble (which was the right call) and was subsequently rushed into a push and title that felt forced the entire time. Yeah, a lot of that is WWE's incompetence sabotaging her (being cast aside in NXT) and bad luck ruining a great arc with Charlotte from one WrestleMania to the next (because of Charlotte's Covid - or whatever it was that took her out of the match), but she has hardly hit a home run the way Bianca has with similarly middling material to work with. 

30 minutes ago, C.S. said:

but for everyone who ever bitched about Roman Reigns' early face push, well, Rhea's feels even more inorganic (on a smaller scale).

Don't disagree with anything in your post, but from what I understand, Rhea is supposed to be a heel? So yeah of course she will need a bunch of smoke and mirrors to win matches and to retain the title. She is supposed to just be hated by fans 

Of course, the fact that she even needs to be a heel, given how hot she was as a face in December 2019, is a marker of how much WWE booking has failed her.