UWF

kevinmcfl

HIYxdeH.jpg?4

Pk0fmbW.png

DEC.5

(Magazine Edition #1)

A Word With Bill Watts

R2LQYky.png?1

Cowboy Bill Watts:  Fans, I want you to understand that a new day has dawn on the wrestling world.  A day that will forever change the landscape of the sport that both you and I love.  Today, is the first day of the Universal Wrestling Federation.  Fans, don’t worry.  You will still see all of the stars that you love to watch and even some of those that you love to hate.  The UWF is committed to bringing you all of the great action that you were use to seeing when this show was titled Mid-South Wrestling and we will still be visiting all of our old venues in Louisiana and Texas.  We will also be coming to some new and exciting places.  Fans in Oklahoma, Missouri, Ohio, Michigan and anywhere else we can think of, get ready because the UWF is coming to town.

Now, I know many of you fans want to know why the UWF came to be and it is simple.  Let’s first discuss that no good Les Thatcher over there in Alabama.  He decides to pull out of last week’s super event in Atlanta days before the show is set to take place.  Somebody tell me how, in just a matter of hours, he is able to get his own show booked for Thanksgiving night.  I’ll tell you how.  He had that whole thing planned ahead of time because he is a greedy rat.  He blames me.  He says I am power hungry.  He calls me a dictator.  Look in the mirror Thatcher, you want to control the world of wrestling, but we all know you aren’t smarter enough.  Next, let’s look at Crockett up there in the Carolinas.  For those of you who saw Starrcade, you saw the travesty of justice in the World Title match between Hacksaw Butch Reed and Tully Blanchard.  For those that did not, this match was a coup!  A theft by Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling so they could have the World Champion on their roster.  For those that did not see it, I will just tell you that Tully Blanchard got help from Ric Flair, Ole Anderson and Arn Anderson while ref Ron West was knocked out and then that poor excuse for a referee, Carl Fergie rushed down and made the illegal three count and gave the belt to Tully Blanchard.  We later found out that Carl Fergie took a $25,000 bribe to get involved in that match.  From who?  We don’t know for sure but we are pretty sure the Horseman were involved.

As soon as Starrcade ended, I demanded a meeting with the NWA Board of Directors and it seems Crockett had gotten to the other board members and bribed them to not let a person from Mid-South Wrestling be the World Champion.  As soon as they decided to keep Tully Blanchard as their champion, I resigned from being the President of the NWA and this was basically the birth of a new, honest, and tremendous wrestling organization… THE UNIVERSAL WRESTLING FEDERATION!

Now some business matters…

First… Carl Fergie has been Fired Forever from the UWF!

Second…Hacksaw Butch Reed has been restored as the champion and will be recognized as the first ever UWF Champion. 

Third… The Masked Superstars or whatever they are calling themselves now will have their Mid-South Tag Team Titles renamed as the UWF Tag Team Champions. 

Fourth… The first big event under the UWF banner will be titled Last Stand and it will take place December 26th at Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas

Last… Make no mistake about it, the UWF is the top dog Wrestling World.  We will not back down from anyone.  If Mid-Atlantic wants to test our wrestlers, sign on the dotted line and we will kick your “you know what” all over any arena in this country.  Same comes for Continental Championship Wrestling.  In fact, I challenge you Les Thatcher to show up in any UWF arena, I will personally take you on in the ring and teach you a think or two. 

Ted Dibiase:  The New Million Dollar Man

qDfpGTt.png?1

For those of you who didn’t see Starrcade, Ted Dibiase did the unthinkable as he turned on his tag team partner, “Dr. Death” Steve Williams in their title match against the Masked Superstars. (now known as Demolition) Dibiase clobbered Dr. Death with the “Million Dollar” briefcase of Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie.  As Masked Superstar #1 pinned Dr. Death, Dibiase and Sheik made eye contact followed by a nod of their heads.  An agreement had been instantly made.  Dibiase keeps the Million Dollar Briefcase and he joins Sheik’s stable!

While Dibiase refused to give an interview after the match but Jim Ross did catch up with Dibiase in Baton Rouge this past Friday to find out just how he could turn on Dr. Death and all these great fans.  Dibiase, who was dressed in a new tuxedo and wanted to be called the Million Dollar Man, said the answer was simple. 

“Dr. Death had lost his focus.  He no longer wanted to be the best tag team in wrestling.  He had his hand in a bunch of different things and didn’t seem committed to our partnership.  He tried to become the World Champion at Halloween Havoc.  He was spending half his time with Terry Gordy.  Just look at Starrcade.  Ten minutes before our match, he rushed out to help Gordy deal with the Freebirds.  He was not the teammate he once was.  On the other hand, it is great to be wanted.  Time and time again, I defeated a member of the great Sheik Adnan’s Army.  He knew I was the one who could bring him to the top. He new I was his way to the World Title!  When we looked at each other at Starrcade, we both knew it was right.

When we asked Dr. Death about what Ted Dibiase had done, he had trouble talking.  He was not only saddened by the actions of Dibiase but he was angry… very angry.  He vowed revenge on Dibiase and anyone who was a member of the Sheik’s Army.  He also confirmed that Terry Gordy and he had formed an alliance.  Together, they had agreed to put an end to both the Freebirds and Sheik’s Army. 

ShSo9nu.png?4

The Transformation is Complete

hA94y1U.png?3

mFMEeLW.png?2

Fans, recently in the Centroplex in Baton Rouge a “newcomer” by the name of Big Van Vader was lead to the ring by the “Task Master” Kevin Sullivan.  Vader destroyed the Italian Stallion with the end coming by the way of a big powerbomb.  This devastating move was delivered by the near 400-pound monster who came to the ring wearing some sort of animalistic headgear with steam coming out of the sides.  As the match began, the headgear was removed, revealing a sort of half red mask and it became obvious that Big Van Vader was Leon White. 

Ifuh7pz.png?1

Leon White has not been seen in these parts for nearly 6 months when he was kidnapped by his rival Kevin Sullivan.  Sullivan had his minions, Haku and the Barbarian, place a bag over White’s head and dragged him from the arena.  While White was being dragged away, Kevin Sullivan was heard saying, “Now the transformation can begin.    

After the recent match in Baton Rouge, Jim Ross wanted an explanation…

Kevin Sullivan:  Jim Ross… it’s simple.  The man before you now always had talent but that talent needed to be brought out from the deepest being of his soul.  He needed to stop worrying about the people around him and start fighting for himself.  I took this man before you and we traveled the seven seas and fought the toughest men all around the world.  We fought men who didn’t care if Leon White survived or died.  Leon had to learn to fight.  He had to learn to bring out his inner most beast and what you see before you know is a machine.  A big, mean Van Vader killing machine!

Jim Ross:  Vader… What’s a Vader.

YR1PnCX.jpg?1

Kevin Sullivan:  Oh Jim Ross… you did go to school did you not.  Think about the book, Dante’s Inferno.  Way down deep in the bowels of hell, in fact the deepest level of Hell, the 9th Circle if you will…there was a beast who survived solely from his enjoyment of punishing other living creatures.  The man before you must punish others or else who will not survive.  You will see over the next few months that the only time Vader is happy is when he is punishing others.  The problem for the wrestlers in the UWF is that they cannot stop Big Van Vader from being happy.  The transformation I spoke of back in May is now complete and I pity those who will feel the wrath of the beast that is Vader!

As Sullivan and Vader walk off, Jim Ross is obviously shaken and he isn’t sure who unnerves him more… Sullivan or Big Van Vader. 

The Bad Side of Rock n Roll

0hCJsib.png?2

Mike Davis and Tommy Young, better known as The Rock n Roll RPM’s, are quickly becoming one of the most hated tag teams in the UWF.  While it is obvious to most that they have stolen their gimmick from the great Rock n Roll Express, they continue to brag about their so-called connections to the world of rock music.  Besides their complete neglect for the rules, they have lately taken to attacking Ricky Gibson whenever they have a numbers advantage.  Gibson, the brother of Rock n Roll Express member, Robert Gibson, has challenged them to have a fair match but this doesn’t seem to be of any interest to them.  Only time will tell!

Tg2YVUF.png?1

Quotes from around the UWF

Ernie Ladd on his team of Bad News Allen and Bad LeRoy Brown losing a Loser-Leave-Town Match against Rocky Johnson and Captain Redneck Dick Murdoch…

3dUNtql.png?1

Don’t you worry… my job of running Bill Watts out of wrestling is just getting started.  That big dummy has proven time and time again that he can’t outsmart the Big Cat.  Now, his corrupt officials have fast-counted my men out of the UWF.  No big deal!  There are plenty of men who want my services.  There are plenty of men who want to take that Mid-South title off that Uncle Tom, Rocky Johnson.  There are plenty of men who want to clobber Dick Murdoch. Trust me, Bill Watts.  My plan is just getting started!

Michael Hayes on why he painted a yellow strip down the back of Terry Gordy after Gordy’s U.S. Title Match against Nikita Koloff where he won by DQ after Ivan Koloff got involved:

i5DRmjY.png?1

“If you just had a match for the U.S. Title against a Russian and you allowed him to walk out of that ring with our title, you are nothing but a big coward!  Bill Watts should have sent someone capable into that match.  Someone like the Freebird Michael Hayes.  If I was in that match, we would be partying all night down in Atlanta, GA.  Just ask the people in Hotlanta!  That’s my town.  It would have been my night.  It would have been a rough trip down Bad Street for one Nikita Koloff.  I must apologize to everyone for not getting the job down last year against Terry Gordy.  I should have made sure that dumb bat was blind for life.  Don’t worry Terry Gordy, I will finish the job I started.

Jimmy Garvin on if he thought he won his Starrcade match against Scott Casey because he had his suspended valet, Precious, wear a mask and run to ringside and dump a bucket of pig slop all over Sunshine!

pdlsD1Z.png

“It’s not my fault that Scott Casey thought the masked woman was so much hotter then his hideous “lady” that he had to chase her up the aisle looking for a date.  It’s night my fault Scott Casey has a valet that actually smelled a whole lot better after she had the pig slop dumped on her.  It’s not my fault we all can’t be as beautiful as Gorgeous Jimmy.  It’s not my fault that Precious and myself are this good looking and Scott Casey and Sunshine hit every branch on their fall from the ugly tree. 

EA8XXBp.png

It’s not my fault that when my Precious returns in December from that bogus suspension Watts threw at her, we will run Casey and Sunshine out of the UWF.

Hacksaw Butch Reed on Bill Watts voiding the results from Starrcade and naming him the first ever Universal Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion…

r1IejPw.jpg

“I want to thank Mr. Watts for doing the right thing.  The NWA board of directors, Les Thatcher and Crockett had a plan to get this title off me.  I think we all know why.  They have some sort of backwards way of thinking.  They couldn’t handle me being their champion.  Well, Mr. Watts proved what kind of man he is.  Now, because of the actions of those cheaters, the NWA has fallen apart right before their eyes.  I hope their happy.  As for the Horsemen, we all knew they were corrupt and can’t do anything unless they have a numbers advantage.  Tully Blanchard, Ole Anderson, Anr Anderson or Ric Flair for that matter… I’m letting you know all know that I have an open contract for this UWF title.  If you ever have the guts to come down here, I will show you what a real champion looks like… and that goes for you to Les Thatcher.  If you think anyone over there in Alabama can take this title from me, go ahead and try.  That open challenge goes for you to Ted Dibiase … or should I saw Benedict Arnold.  I’m going to put this title on the line every night and if anyone wants a shot, put your name on the dotted line!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a lot of stuff going on!

Glad to see Butch still has a title. Thought it was way too soon to take it off of him.

Be interested to see how the Vader push gets handled.

The Superstars becoming Demolition should be fun.

Doc and Gordy looking for revenge on everyone is going to be a LOT of fun!

I wonder who Ladd has up his sleeve now!

Wow, the NWA is crumbling before our eyes. Defiantly the dawning of a new era.

UWF is born and Watts goes off on Thatcher and the Crocketts. 

The Million Dollar Man is going to get massive heat here. However, he's got some heat coming after him named Dr. Death. I know Dibiase has back up but so does Williams. 

Good grief, Vader and Sullivan are going to wreak havoc on the UWF! I enjoyed the entire transformation of Leon. Pacific did him well. 

The RPMs are just begging for a beating. They better be careful because right now RnR are riding high. 

YES! I knew Ladd would be back! Watts better get ready.

Only a matter of time before Gordy destroys Hayes. 

LOL! I wanted it and you gave me the "It's not my fault" line. Gotta love Jimmy Jam and Precious. 

So happy Reed is world champ again. Good call Watts. Reed will have a tremendous run. 

Looking forward to the UWF. A lot of exciting stuff going down. 

The UWF has a ton of potential coming out of the events of Starrcade! I'm super excited for the "Million Dollar Man" and all that he will potentially bring to the show.  Butch Reed as the first UWF Champion after the Starrcade screwjob should put the fans in more firmly in his corner than ever!  1987 should be a fun year in this game and I'm looking forward to it!

sDGELUR.png?2

DEC.5

NRuXCBQ.png?2

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

There is no denying that Cowboy Bill Watts and Ernie “Big Cat” Ladd get under each other’s skin but this week it seems to have reached another level.  Ernie Ladd has spent the week saying that the only reason his team of Bad News Allen and Bad LeRoy Brown lost to Dick Murdoch and Rocky Johnson and had to leave the UWF was because that Big Dummy Watts is corrupt and biased. 

ja5D29B.png?1

Maybe because Watts has been hearing negative comments about himself from all over the wrestling world lately, he was a little on edge at this week’s TV taping from Ft. Worth.  When Ladd, on national TV, criticized Watts, Watts exploded.  The two men, who have faced off in the ring for years, had to be separated from wrestlers from the back. 

l7iv2wc.png?2

Ladd vowed to get a new wrestler in his stable that would prove unstoppable to the “cheating cowboy; somebody who hated Watts even more then he did. 

b88hlKo.png?1

Watts asked Ladd “why find a new wrestler to manage… why not do the job yourself.”

And there you have it… Last Stand 86 in Reunion Arena in Dallas on December 26 sees Bill Watts facing off against Ernie Ladd.  While Ladd has not been in the ring in nearly a year, he won’t need to review any wrestling moves.  This match will see each man bring out a year’s worth of hatred into one huge brawl.

TWO FRONT WAR

OiIKEtu.png?1

So, who do Terry Gordy and Dr. Death go after first?  The choices are almost limitless!  Let’s look back at where are the problems started.  It was last July at the Great American Bash in the Superdome in New Orleans where Freebird Michael Hayes nearly blinded Terry Gordy with some sort of cream to the eyes. 

GXgGlRk.png?1

It was just this past Thanksgiving in the Omni in Atlanta that Ted Dibiase turned on his former World Champion tag team partner Dr. Death as Dibiase joined Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie’s Army. 

So do these two go after Michael Hayes and the rest of the Freebirds or do they set their eyes on getting revenge on Ted Dibiase and the rest of the Shiek’s Army.  Both Gordy and Dr. Death know the right answer because they have others to think about.  During this past week’s interview with Jim Ross, they reminded everyone that their good friends, Scott Casey and Sunshine, have also had to deal with the Freebirds of late.  They reminded us of the $25,000 bounty placed on the career of Scott Casey by Precious, the valet of the Freebirds and the pig slop dumped on Sunshine at Starrcade by that so-called woman valet of Jimmy Garvin.  So, to Gordy and Dr. Death, the answer is simple… Freebirds first

xeRcSDQ.jpg?1

… Dibiase and the Sheik next.

It seems that Bill Watts agrees with Terry Gordy and Dr. Death as he signed a 6-Man Loser Leave Town Match at Last Stand between The Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Jimmy Garvin and Buddy Roberts) against Gordy, Dr. Death and Scott Casey.  Jim Ross explains how grateful he would be to anyone who could rid the UWF of Michael Hayes but how somber it would feel around here if Terry Gordy or Ted Dibiase took the loss. 

TITLE VS TITLE

To Bill Watts, the term champion and the brand UWF go hand in hand as they both refer to the best of the best.  As he would like to expand the UWF all across the nation and maybe even Canada, he doesn’t see the purpose in regional titles.  With that being said, the Mid-South Title is obsolete.  Rocky Johnson has been a great Mid-South title holder and it would not be fair to just strip him of a title that is being vacated.  Therefore, at Last Stand 86, it will be Title vs Title…. The North American Title vs the Mid-South Title.  Jake “the Snake” Roberts vs Rocky “Soul Man” Johnson.  Winner, and there must be a winner, is the North American Champion. Both Rocky Johnson and Jake “the Snake” are very confident they will come out on top!

QfqFpyf.png?1

Jake “the Snake”:  It doesn’t matter who it is.  It could be Rufus Jones.  It could be Dick Murdoch… Heck… it could be the UWF Champion Hacksaw Butch Reed.  They all think they are fighters.  They all think they can knock me down with one punch.  Well, truth be told, none of them ever have.  This time in Dallas, it will be your turn to learn Rocky Johnson.  You will use your Soul Man Shuffle or what ever other silly name you come up with for an illegal punch… but trust me… after you are done dancing around, I will drop your head on the mat… DDT style and that will be the last dance you ever do!

bOaRPn2.png?1

Rocky Johnson:  First, I want to thank Bill Watts for the opportunity to face Jake Roberts for the UWF North American Title.  I know Jake Roberts is one tough individual but I guarantee you that I will give it everything I got and I am pretty sure that will be enough to defeat The Snake.  Chop the head off a snake and it dies.  I think the Soul Man Shuffle will do just that!

THE ROCK n ROLL RPM’S MIGHT HAVE TO FACE THE MUSIC

l64E4ul.png?2

Whether it is just the fact that Ricky Gibson is the brother of Rock n Roll Express member Robert Gibson, or some other motive but it is obvious that Mike Davis and Tommy Lane have set their goal on eliminating Ricky.  Numerous times over the past month, they have attacked Gibson after a match.  They have thrown him into the steel ring post.  They have clobbered him with chairs and this week in Jackson, they even threw him through a popcorn machine at the concession stand.

Well, it seems like Ricky Gibson has help. 

Q3qoXbZ.png?1

Koko Ware rushed out from the locker room after the popcorn machine incident with a chair of his own. He went full tilt after the RPM’s.  While he did not catch them this time, he vows to make sure Davis and Lane don’t have a numbers advantage anytime they are near Ricky Gibson.  Koko has even gotten Bill Watts to sign a Texas Tornado Match (All 4 Men in the Ring at Once) between himself and Ricky Gibson vs The Rock n Roll RPM’s at Last Stand

BIG VAN VADER…. MAN OR MONSTER

Ifuh7pz.png?1

No matter who it’s been so far… Big Van Vader has destroyed them.  Most matches last less than a minute with the wrestler being stretchered out after a Sit Down Powerbomb; the most devastating move in the UWF today.  As scary as that sounds… Kevin Sullivan; Vader’s handler, often demands that Vader execute another powerbomb after the match is over.  Neither man seems to care if they are disqualified.  As Sullivan told us last time.  The only time when Big Van Vader is happy is when he is punishing someone.  In fact, lately it has been 2 or 3 men at a time in Handicap Matches all over the UWF.

Last week on TV, the Patriots came to the rescue of Larry Winters and Tom Stone who were just man-handled by the monster.  Both Patriots, said that Vader should take on someone his own size.  Both men were pretty sure they could take on Vader in a One-on-match at Last Stand.  This brought Kevin Sullivan back out, with his eerie laugh.  Sullivan accepted their challenge with one minor adjustment… Big Van Vader will wrestle both Patriots in a Tag Team Match at Last Stand 86!

Jim Ross reminded us that the Patriots are one of the best tag teams in the entire world as he reminded up that they just wrestled for the NWA Tag Team Title at Starrcade.  Ross already knew that Big Van Vader was one of the toughest men he had ever seen, but Ross said that if Vader beat both Patriots, he is more than a man.  He would be a MONSTER.

A NEW FACE FOR THE UWF

ALzdJYl.png?1

Les Thatcher’s big talk is now UWF’s gain.  When Thatcher decided to take a stand a say that any Continental Championship Wrestling star who showed up to Starrcade would lose his job, I bet that he never thought that an Armstrong would ignore his words.  Well, that is exactly what happened when Brad Armstrong decided it was unfair of the tyrant Thatcher to deny him an opportunity to become the World Junior Heavyweight Champion.  Even though Armstrong did not win the title, he had every right to go to Starrcade. 

When you look at Armstrong’s title match against Eric Embry, we see another miscarriage of justice as Embry had a lot of outside help to retain his title. As Armstrong was about to win the title, he was attacked by Doug Somers, Sean Royal and Paul Roma.  Even though Brad won the bout, he did not get the title.  He also got no justice when he complained about the result to Jim Crocket who had just completed a coup against Bill Watts.

Armstrong, extremely frustrated with Thatcher and Crockett, turned to Bill Watts who was more than happy to bring Brad to the UWF.  Recently, Watts met with Ted Turner who agreed to a new TV contract for the UWF on WTBS. 

BgIqblB.png?1

Part of this deal included reinstating the TV title to make sure the fans at home get quality mates every week.  Watts agreed with Brad Armstrong that he was screwed at Starrcade.  He agreed to give him a chance to be the first UWF TV Champion as he will face “The Mighty Yankee” Billy Jack Strong at Last Stand.  Brad Armstrong could not have been more appreciative of Bill Watts and let everyone know this is how a wrestling promotion should be run.  He just wished the rest of the Armstrong clan could see the light and come on over to the UWF.   

A MILLION DOLLAR CHAMP?

Buk3VvR.png?1

It seems like Sheik Adnan Al Kassie’s plan to control the UWF is right on schedule.  When he gave Ted Dibiase a million dollars to join his stable, he was sure he found the man who could bring him the world title.  This week in Jackson, Dibiase was able to outlast Captain Redneck in an epic battle to become the #1 contender to Hacksaw Reed’s UWF title.  Many in the business say that it is Dibiase’s title to lose.  They expressed how difficult it will be for Reed to defeat Dibiase as he is not only one of the most skilled wrestlers in the world, but the numbers game might make him unstoppable.  Whether it is the Sheik, Hercules Ayala, Demolition or Jake “the Snake,” Reed is going to need eyes in the back of his head at Last Stand to retain his title.

Quotes from around the UWF

“The Mighty Yankee” Billy Jack Strong on his upcoming UWF TV Title match with Brad Armstrong

hXUGWvU.png

Armstrong, I heard you talking about how you want to win the TV title… how you want to be the face of the UWF. Understand one thing, all you are is a face.  Your body doesn’t compare to mine. You are weak!   I’m going to lock you in the full nelson and bend you in half like a pretzel.  The Mighty Yankee will run through Dallas like Sherman did Atlanta. 

Michael Hayes on the Freebirds 6-Man Loser Leave Town Match against Terry Gordy, Dr. Death and Scott Casey at Last Stand

zaDCTb9.png?1

“Not sure when the last snowstorm hit Dallas, Texas but a blizzard is coming on Christmas.  White out conditions … travel at a complete stand still.  It will be so bad that Santa Claus will be stranded in downtown Dallas.  That’s right, old Saint Nick will have to spend the night in Reunion Arena and he will still be there as Last Stand gets under way.  Santa… I’m telling you now that Michael Hayes has been very naughty this year and I don’t need any gifts, but I am about to give the people in Dallas the gift of a lifetime.  That’s right… when I hit the bulldog on Terry Gordy, he will be out of Dallas forever.  People of Dallas, I think you remember the Ghost of Christmas past… the VonErichs… I sent them out of town and now… Terry Gordy will be the ghost of Christmas present… gone forever from UWF

Hacksaw Butch Reed on his UWF title match against Ted Dibiase at Last Stand…

Yhk1v4h.jpg

“I’ve been told the odds are against me.  I’ve been told that Ted Dibiase is the future of the UWF.  I’ve been told the Sheik has too many weapons.  Well, listen up everyone.  I don’t pay attention to what anyone else says.  I’m coming to Dallas as the UWF champion, and I plan on leaving there as the champion.  Ted Dibiase can and will be beat and Sheil, I’m warning you know, get in my way and you will be spending a whole heck of a lot of your money on paying some hospital bills. 

LAST STAND 86

DALLAS, TEXAS: REUNION ARENA

DECEMBER 26, 1987

(SHOWN ON SUPERSTATION 17)

HANDICAP MATCH

Big Van Vader with Kevin Sullivan vs The Patriots (Todd Champion & U.S. Steel)

TEXAS TORNADO MATCH

The Rock n Roll RPM’S VS KOKO WARE & Ricky Gibson

UWF TV TITLE MATCH

Brad Armstong vs Billy Jack Strong 

TITLE VS TITLE MATCH

(WINNER IS THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMP)

“North American Champ” Jake “the Snake” vs “Mid-South Champ” Rocky Johnson

LOSER LEAVE TOWN 6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

(WHOEVER SUBMITS OR IS PINNED IS OUT OF THE UWF)

The Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin & Buddy Roberts) with Precious

Vs

Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy, “Dr. Death” Steve Williams & Scott Casey with Sunshine 

STREET FIGHT

“Cowboy” Bill Watts vs “The Big Cat” Ernie Ladd 

UWF TITLE MATCH

Hacksaw Butch Reed © vs Ted Dibiase with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

That is a stacked card that you've put together for the UWF's first solo supershow!

Hate to see Reed lose another title so quickly, but Dibiase feels like a win here would cement his new character.

The LLT 6 man may be the most interesting match on the card. Doc and Gordy have a lot of enemies, can they get rid of some, or will others help the Birds get rid of them?

Rocky vs Jake for the new NA Title should be a fun fight. 

Old Man Watts finally gonna try and back up his lawman attitude with his fists. Feeling like Ladd may have some help in this one! Excited to see who that'll be!!

Last Stand is the perfect name for the UWFs first supercard.

After everything that went down between them, it's only fitting Ladd and Watts should settle things the old fashion way. 

Freebirds better be ready because Williams and Gordy are looking to finally finish the job. Casey and Sunshine have some serious back up. Will this be the end of the Freebirds in the UWF? On the flip side, after that Hayes promo, never count the birds out.

Soul Man vs. The Snake in a unification match. I'm sold. 

Koko saves Gibson and now the tornado match is set with the RPMs. We'll find out if the RPMs can back up all that talk. 

If Vader takes down both Patriots, then Sullivan is right. He'll be a true monster.

With Ted Turner's money backing them up, the UWF will be a major force. 

Watts seems to have taken a liking to Brad Armstrong. Brad gets his shot at some gold but needs to get past The Mighty Yankee first.

Reed vs. The Million Dollar Man for all the marbles. Can Reed beat the odds? I wouldn't bet against him. 

Things are really heating up. 

Solid card for Last Stand!

Proud to see Brad Armstrong right in the title mix here! Getting out from under the rest of the family might be good for him.

Jake vs. Rocky title vs. title could be a show stealer!

Vader is a bad ass even at this point but beating both Patriots may be a tall order even for him! 

Well well well Cowboy Bill steps back between the ropes...you can bet Ernie Ladd will have a plan in place for sure!

The six man tag has my attention, very interesting to see who ends up going away.

Reed vs. Dibiase makes for a helluva championship match...whoever wins UWF has a very solid champion!

Last Stand is going to be a great way for UWF to end the year with a bang!

• 3 weeks later...

sDGELUR.png?2

ZAES4nY.png?2

DALLAS, TEXAS: REUNION ARENA

DECEMBER 26, 1987

(SHOWN ON SUPERSTATION 17)

GRUDE MATCH

The Rock n Roll RPM’S VS Koko Ware & Ricky Gibson

The match begins with the Rock n Roll RPM’s already in the ring as Bill Watts walks to the ring with Koko Ware.  Watts takes the microphone and announces that late last night on his way to the airport, Ricky Gibson was attacked outside of his home and is currently receiving treatment at his local hospital.  While he is expected to make a full recovery, he will be out of action for a while.

The RPM’s are looking very smug and confident.  Mike Davis tells Watts that since it is not their fault that Ricky Gibson tripped over his own two feet and the RPM’s should win by forfeit or Koko Ware should have to wrestle in a handicap match. 

Bill Watts:  Interesting that you say you have nothing to do with the attack.  Reports are that Ricky Gibson was attacked by two masked men matching your description for height and weight.  If I ever find out, you had anything to with the attack, you will be fired forever from the UWF!

Both RPM’s do a good job of playing dumb about the attack and try to convince everyone that they had nothing to do with it before asking again if they win by forfeit or not.

Bill Watts:  Forfeit no…. in fact, Koko Ware has graciously decided to step away from the match as he thinks this is family business.

Tommy Lane:  Family business.

Bill Watts:  Tis the season to help family you know.

Suddenly, Rock n Roll is King begins to blare from the house speakers….

Jim Ross:  Oh my… I think it is… yes it is… The Rock n Roll Express are here!  Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson are running to the ring.

The RPM’s look like they have seen a ghost as Watts calls for the bell!

As for the match, let’s just say the real Rock n Roll team stood tall here as the Express beat the RPM’s all around the ring.  There was no need for Morton to play his “face in peril” act as this was all Express with the win coming with the real Rock n Roll Double Dropkick!

HANDICAP MATCH

Big Van Vader with Kevin Sullivan vs The Patriots (Todd Champion & U.S. Steel)

Jim Ross admits that Big Van Vader is one tough man but he isn’t convinced that he can defeat both Patriots at the same time.  The match starts off with Vader against U.S. Steel and both 400-pound monsters push and shove all around the ring in a sort of plodding manner for the first few minutes. 

WHAM… Huge lariat by Vader

WHAM… What strength… Vader body slams U.S. Steel.

Interesting thing here was the expression of Todd Champion’s face.  It went from excited to be at Last Stand to how do I get out of here?

Vader seemed to want to punish both men so when Steel went to tag in Champion, Vader did nothing to stop it.  The problem for U.S. Steel was that Todd Champion wanted no part of the tag and jumped off the apron and headed for the hills. 

No matter how much the crowd booed, Champion wasn’t coming back to help his partner.  The handicap match was now a singles match with the end coming when Big Van Vader somehow powerbombed U.S. Steel. 

After the three count, Kevin Sullivan rushed the ring and came in and demanded another power bomb which Sullivan helped to slam down big U.S. Steel.

U.S. Steel was left lying in the ring while Sullivan was full of evil laughter as he guided Vader to the back.

UWF TV TITLE MATCH

Brad Armstong defeated “The Mighty Yankee” Billy Jack Strong with a Russian Legsweep.  When “The Masked Yankee” tried to interfere in the match, Armstrong answered with another Russian Legsweep for the masked assailant.   Brad Armstrong is the first UWF TV Champion.

TITLE VS TITLE MATCH

(WINNER IS THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMP)

“North American Champ” Jake “the Snake” vs “Mid-South Champ” Rocky Johnson

Really good match that marked the first time in his tenure in the UWF that Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie did not accompany his man to the ring.  Jim Ross speculated that it was because he was focused on getting his Million Dollar Man, Ted Dibiase ready for his UWF World Title match against Hacksaw Butch Reed.

That left this match to be fought under “fair” conditions which was perfect as there could be no excuses when this title vs title match was over.  In the end, Rock is setting up Snake for the Soul Man Shuffle but Roberts strikes first.

WHAM… Roberts, like a Snake, lashed at Rocky and connected with the DDT!

1..2..3!  Jake Roberts defeats Rocky Johnson.

Jim Ross:  I must admit… that was a great match by both men as Jake “The Snake” Roberts showed us that he can do it all as he defeated a tremendous Rocky Johnson to retain his UWF North American Title.

LOSER LEAVE TOWN 6-MAN TAG TEAM MATCH

(Only the person who takes the loss, must leave town)

The Freebirds (Michael Hayes, Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin & Buddy Roberts) with Precious

Vs

Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy, “Dr. Death” Steve Williams & Scott Casey with Sunshine

A huge part of this match was the entrances for both teams.  We get the brash, braggadocios, Freebirds making their way to the ring with their flashy outfits and cocky smirks as the push the fans to their heat-giving limits. 

This is followed by the power and business-like demeanor when the fan favorites hit the ring.  Between Doc, Bam Bam and Casey, they have such built up anger that they can barely wait for the bell.

Give the Freebirds some credit here as they don’t back down an inch and go nose to nose with the big boys as the ref tries to keep some order. 

Let’s not leave out the two pretty women, Precious and Sunshine who are also nose to nose, chest to chest in some sexy outfits; are talking as much smack as anyone in the ring.

As for the match, we all know that everyone has their time to shine, and some serious blows are landed by the fan favorites and the treachery by the Freebirds reaches epic proportions so let’s just get to the finish….

After Michael Hayes had taking a beating in the wrong corner for an extended period of time, he makes the escape after catching Gordy with a low blow.

All 6 men end up in the ring as we go Bonzo Gonzo with the ref just letting everything go.  A slightly recovered Michael Hayes again uses another low blow; this time on Scott Casey.  Hayes then throws Casey through the middle ropes.

WHAM… Big body slam on Jimmy Garvin by Dr. Death.  These two are actually the two legal men in the ring.

Michael Hayes, a little out of his element, climbs to the top rope.

Instead of covering Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin, Dr Death sees Michael Hayes up on the top rope and starts to head over to him.

WHAM…

Jim Ross:  What in the world… Michael Hayes has just jumped off the top rope and hit Jimmy Garvin with a nasty knee drop right to the temple.  And… yes… it appears Michael Hayes has motioned to Buddy Roberts and … they have jumped off the apron and are on the arena floor.  It is like they have given Jimmy Garvin up and have made him the sacrificial lamb.   

Precious is screaming at Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts to come back to the ring but they actually take a seat on folding chairs that were against the steel barrier and they seem to be taking in the show!

Jim Ross:  Well, there is nothing anyone can do about.  The numbers game is just too much for Garvin with the end coming with running bulldog by Scott Casey.  I must admit that I am not disappointed to see Jimmy Garvin leave the UWF but I need some sort of explanation from Michael Hayes.  Why did he turn on his fellow Freebird?  Was it just to save himself?  I put nothing past Michael Hayes. 

STREET FIGHT

“Cowboy” Bill Watts vs “The Big Cat” Ernie Ladd

Talk about bad blood… these two have been involved in a serious war of words for the entire 1986 and tonight these emotions are getting ready to be let unleashed by two men who haven’t stepped foot in the ring for quite some time.

Watts comes out to a thunderous ovation.  For one, he has brought Mid-South Wrestling out of the dark ages that was the NWA and into the forefront of professional wrestling with the UWF.  Secondly, and more importantly, tonight, he is taking on the most hated man in all of the UWF.  Ladd sure talks a good game, but it is a game full of hate.  Hate for Watts.  Hate for Butch Reed.  Hate for all that most southerners hold near and dear to their hearts.

Watts couldn’t wait for the bell, and he charges from the ring, up the aisle and meets the Big Cat halfway to the ring.  This is as close to the ring as the two will ever get as the brawl is on.

From ring posts to steel chairs, any solid object becomes a weapon as these two batter each other all over the lower level of Reunion Arean. 

The crowd erupts as the camera turns toward the entrance as we see someone making their return to the UWF…

Jim Ross:  What’s this?  … Bruiser Brody is here, and he is looks like he means business.  Ernie Ladd better have eyes in the back of his head….

Jim Ross:  Wait… Wait a minute!  Brody is all over BILL WATTS. 

Wham… mauling knee lift to the head of Watts.

Wham… With Brody holding Watts, Ernie Ladd connects with a Big Boot right to the face of Cowboy Bill Watts.

Watts, who is now busted wide open, needs help form the back as a few wrestlers rush out to his aid.  The problem was that Brody was like a man possessed and he was tossing them away like rag dolls in order to continue his attack on Watts.

Finally, Dick Murdoch comes out and we get someone who is ready to go toe to toe with both Brody and Ladd.  Eventually, between Murdoch and the rest of the wrestlers, Brody and Ladd head back to the locker room.  Both smiling like they had just received the best Christmas present in all the world.

Murdoch helps the medics get Watts onto a stretcher and then guides them to the back and presumably to Dallas General Hospital. 

UWF TITLE MATCH

Hacksaw Butch Reed © vs Ted Dibiase with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie

Jim Ross:  Wow… this one is for all the marbles.  We are about to find out if Sheik Adnan’s million-dollar signee can bring him the world title that he so desperately seeks. 

Dibiase, who recently turned-on Dr. Death and all these great UWF fans gets monstrous heat from the crowd but he could seem to care less.  He means business.  Same can be said for Hacksaw Reed he seems not even to hear the thunderous ovation he receives on his way to the ring.

As for the match… whoever was in Reunion Arena tonight, has a story to tell for the rest of their lives.  These are two of the best in the business and they put on a show equal to their reputations.  Technical moves, power moves, pure brawling, bumping, selling, momentum changes, outside interference… this match had it all during its nearly 30 minutes.

Let’s just get to the finish…

Hacksaw Butch Reed reversed an Irish Whip by Ted Dibiase but the problem was that ref Ron West was in the way.  The blow by Dibiase was not on purpose but it sure was violent and West ended up rolling through the middle ropes.

Sheik sees his chance and motions to the back…

Jim Ross:  I was afraid of this.  Here comes Hercules Ayala… now the champ is going to have to deal Sheik’s Army as well as Dibiase.

Hercules hits the ring and Hacksaw goes right after him as Dibiase is still struggling to get to his feet after the collision with the ref. 

Meanwhile, Sheik seems to have handed Dibiase some sort of black glove and he is putting it over his right hand. 

A loud groan from the crowd…

Jim Ross:  Oh no… more reinforcements for Dibiase.  Here comes Jake “The Snake” Roberts. 

Hercules Ayala and Reed are trading blows in the center of the ring while the Sheik and Roberts are entering.  Sheik grabs Reed from behind as Dibiase and the newly worn black glove closes in on the champ.

WHAM…  Ted Dibiase has just nailed Reed with what must be a loaded glove as the champ has gone done like a sack of potatoes.

Sheik, Hercules, Dibiase and Snake are all smiles in the ring.  Dibiase and Snake give a jubilant high-five to each other….

WHAM… Jake has just hit a DDT on Dibiase!!!  Dibiase is out.

Both the Sheik and Hercules are confused for a second but then come to the realization that Jake “The Snake” is now the enemy.  Sheik motions to Hercules to attack…

WHAM… DDT on Hercules Ayala.

The Sheik, with a look of horror backs towards the ropes and to everyone’s delight, falls right through the middle ropes out onto the arena floor.  Sheik is so afraid that Snake is coming for him that he doesn’t even feel the hard fall and gets up and high tails it up the entrance way to the locker room.

Snake helps Butch Reed cover Dibiase just as ref Ron West makes his way back to the ring.

1…2…3!  Hacksaw Reed, in a wild finish, pins Ted Dibiase.

Jim Ross:  Fans. I don’t know what to say.  What a night of wrestling it’s been but we might be leaving Reunion Arena with more questions then answers.  Tune in next time as we try to sort this all out.  … Who attacked Ricky Gibson? Are the Patriots finished as a tag team?  What was Michael Hayes thinking when he attacked Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin?  Is Bruiser Brody the man that Ernie Ladd promised would take his stable to the next level? And is Jake “The Snake” Roberts now officially enemy #1 for Sheik Adnan Al Kassie? 

The RPM'S get their well deserved comeuppance. That's why you don't mess with family.

Champion throws his partner to the monster to save his own ass. Though to be fair, the monster in question IS Vader.

It took a little longer than he thought but Brad is finally rewarded for breaking with CCW.

Roberts becomes the first UWF North American Champion & he does it on his own.

Hayes screws Garvin out of a job and his own team out of a win. What the hell is he up to now?

I knew Ladd had to have a plan but goddamm Bruiser Brody? That is a terrifying pairing.

Roberts must have been pretty pissed that Kassie didn't accompany him for his match. Good thing for Reed though.

JR is right. The UWF managed to cultivate a great deal of intrigue in just one night. Can't wait to find out the answers.

Vader is such a good monster here!

Jake Roberts versus Rocky Johnson would've been a treat to see live. Let's see where the Snake goes as the champ here, in a solid upper-mid card spot!

A big six man, with the Freebirds involved is a guaranteed treat, and I loved seeing Michael Hayes take the coward's way out!

What a great entrance for Bruiser Brody! I can't wait to see what else he gets up to in the UWF!

The main event was such a great rollercoaster of emotions! It's great to see the Sheik's plans crumble before his eyes, and Butch Reed retain his hard-won title!

Ricky and Robert finally showing up and kicking the shit out of the RPM's is an awesome way to start the show!

Armstrong winning the title after getting dicked around in the promotional war is good to see!

The Snake takes out The Soulman to unify the titles.

Hayes sacrifices Garvin to save his own ass? This will be interesting to see play out.

Well, Ernie Ladd just got a whole lot more dangerous with Bruiser Brody at his side. The response of Watts will be interesting....whenever he wakes up!

Interesting turn of events in the ME. Reed retains, Dibiase loses an ally, but I have to wonder if that was a turn for Jake, or if we have ourselves a genuine tweener that will take out anyone who gets in his way.

Good Stuff!

Can a show start off any better than this? RPMs had a lot of fun but that ended tonight as the Rock n Roll Express show up and take care of business! I know that pop was insane. Long live rock n roll! 

After watching Vader put that beating on Steel, I can't say I blame Champion for getting out of there. 1987 could be a monster year for Vader. 

Looks like Brad Armstrong made the right move coming here because it pays off with the TV title. 

Johnson's solid reign comes to an end tonight. No shame because during this era, nobody got up from the DDT. 

We all knew the 6 man tag was going to be nuts. However, I didn't see Hayes turning on Jimmy Jam. If there's one certainty, it's Michael Hayes can never be trusted. 

Watts and Ladd prove they have more fuel in their tanks. These guys put it all out there. BRUISER BRODY shows up and that's it for Watts. Oh man, Brody and Ladd together?!?! Watch out UWF! 

Reed and Dibiase give us the thrilling match we expected. Adnan thinks he has it all wrapped up but NO! Jake turns and pulls out the DDT on Dibiase and Ayala! Loved Adnan's reaction. Reed retains! I'm glad Reed walked out with his title. He deserves a longer reign. As for Dibiase, I'm sure he'll want to settle things with Jake. 

Great way to end 1986. The UWF has some red-hot momentum going into 87. 

sDGELUR.png?2

UyKFVzb.png?2

1987 Volume 1

THE REAL ROCK n ROLL TEAM HAS STOOD UP!

8PXHLww.png?1

To the fans delight, the Rock n Roll Express made their surprise UWF debut at Last Stand 86 and made quick work of the imposters, the Rock n Roll RPM’s.  Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson were laser-focused in their first match as they wanted revenge for putting Robert’s brother, Ricky, in the hospital.  Bill Watts, who promised to fire the Rock n Roll RPM’s if he found out they were at all involved on the attack on Ricky Gibson has followed through with that promise after Ricky, from his hospital bed, informed Mr. Watts that the RPM’s were so stupid when they attacked him they announced themselves as Reindeer Mike Davis and Reindeer Tommy Lane!  So much for staying incognito with the masks!  Some good news to come out of this story was that the Rock n Roll Express received such an ovation from the UWF fans that they have decided to stay.  Robert Gibson said that anyone who knows the Rock n Roll Express knows that they hold two things near and dear to their hearts and that’s family and fans.  Now that they have done what they need to for Ricky they are going to do everything they can to give the UWF fans what they want!  Ricky Morton added that they wouldn’t mind adding a bit of gold to their wardrobe in!

THE UWF SHOULD BE AFRAID!  SULLIVAN CALLS FOR VADER TO AMP UP DESTRUCTION!

mFMEeLW.png?2

Even though Big Van Vader defeated U.S. Steel at Last Stand 86, Kevin Sullivan seems frustrated by the lack of “violence” from his big man.  Sullivan announced that Vader will some day be an unstoppable force in this sport but until he wants to destroy everything in his path, he will not reach his full potential.  When it was pointed out to Sullivan how impressive it was that Vader powerbombed the 400 pound U.S. Steel for the win, Sullivan explained that is exactly his point.  Sullivan wanted to know why he had to come into the ring to help deliver the second powerbomb on U.S. Steel.  Vader must develop a killer instinct said Sullivan.  It is not enough to defeat your man; you must cripple him! 

Last Stand 86 did mark the end of the Patriots.  The reason why is twofold.  First, U.S. Steel is going to be out of action for a while.  That second spike powerbomb did a number on the coccyx bone and U.S. Steel is going to need time to heal.  Secondly, and most importantly U.S. Steel has lost trust in Todd Champion.  When Champion left U.S. Steel alone at Last Stand, U.S. Steel realized that “Champion is all about himself.  Whether it is him wanting all the glory in a match or him not wanting to do any of the hard work required to get to the top, Champion is not someone I can be around anymore.”  When asked about this Champion explained that he was tired of doing all of the heavy lifting for the Patriots and he used Last Stand as a match to see if U.S. Steel was a worthy partner.  He said the answer to that is obvious. 

HOT STUFF INC- A MENTOR TO THE YOUNSTERS!

efq0Nas.png?1

Fans of the UWF were recently showed a video from Pacific Coast Wrestling where Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt gave a tearful goodbye to the fans as they stated Missy’s family is going through some difficult times to needed to be closer to home.  Pacific Coast Wrestling’s loss is UWF’s gains. In his first UWF appearance, Gilbert explained that the sport of wrestling means everything to him.

Eddie Gilbert:  Fans, I grew up in this sport.  My father, Tommy Gilbert, who is now a referee over in Alabama had me in the ring from the time I could walk.  I remember going to all those great arenas up in Tennessee.  The Mid-South Coliseum… the Knoxville Civic Center.  I would watch my father give everything he had in the ring each and every night.  I learned from day one that this was a tough business.  Dad… I want to thank you for teaching me the ropes.  Now, Missy and I want to give back to the sport we love.  Hot Stuff Incorporated and Hyatt International have joined forces to open a training school to help up-and-coming young athletes reach their full potential.  Some of these talented wrestlers are just getting started while others have wrestled for a year or two and need our help to make it to the top.  Some of them have made some mistakes… taken some shortcuts… and it will be our job to put them on the path to being the best WRESTLERS then can be; not brawlers or rule-breakers but pure wrestlers.  Just like my father did for me.

Missy takes over the interview and explains that she truly has been lucky also as her parents where able to give her whatever she needed to be successful in life and it will be her job to teach the young wrestlers about business and finance and to make sure they are not only successful wrestlers but successful young men.

Missy and Eddie Gilbert then introduced the first two members of Hyatt International and Hot Stuff Incorporated… Rick Steiner and Chris Benoit.

VhzKNXH.png?1               xtMJjiD.png?1

Gilbert goes on to explain that both of these young wrestlers have been pushed in the wrong direction early in their career but that they are two of the most talented young wrestlers he has ever seen.  He hoped that with his help, they will become true fan favorites and great champions. 

When asked about his own wrestling goals, Eddie Gilbert, smiled and said nothing could keep me from getting in that ring.  I hope to be the face of UWF Wrestling.  I hope I am the reason these fans are coming to arenas all across Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma.    

MONEY TALKS!

QfqFpyf.png?1

Through Sheik Adnan Al-Kassie’s normal treachery, Ted Dibiase came within inches of defeating Hacksaw Butch Reed and becoming the next UWF Champion.  The problem was that fellow stablemate, Jake “The Snake” Roberts wouldn’t allow it to happen.  Snake has since left the Sheik’s Army and will now have to defend his UWF North American Title without the “help” of Al Kassie.  This does not seem to be a problem for the Snake who recently had this to say…

Jake Roberts:  Oh what a wicked web we weave when our only goal is to deceive.  Sheik Adnan… you promised me the world.  You paid me $50,000.  You told me that together, we would rule the wrestling world. The only thing I had to do was sit back and be quiet and do what you said.  Well Sheik, The Snake can no longer be quiet.  I watched you for months carry around that Million Dollar Briefcase and promise to give it to the perfect wrestler.  Each week I would step into that ring and with precision and perfection, win my match.  After each victory, I thought you would hand me that million dollars, but it never came.  I won the North American Title… no briefcase.  Oh… just to remind you… I defeated Hacksaw Butch Reed, the current UWF Champion to win this title.  What did you do… kept looking for someone to win you the World Title.  Someone to defeat Butch Reed.  Then… Ted Dibiase, a low-life sucking dog turned on Dr. Death Steve Williams and some sort of lightbulb went off in your head.  You handed that man a million dollars to win the world title.  Fast-forward to Last Stand and you see your Million Dollar Man can’t beat Hacksaw Butch Reed without help.  You call for Hercules Ayala.. You call for me!  You have a new master plan- with a 4-1 attack and a loaded glove, your Million Dollar Man can defeat Hacksaw Butch Reed for the title… yes Dibiase needs 3 more men to defeat the man I bet 1-1.  Dibiase gets a million dollars from you… I get $50,000!  Talk about a lightbulb going off… My head was going a ring-a-ding-ding.  Dibiase… you got exactly what you deserved… A special deliver DDT.  Sheik… you better get another million-dollar briefcase and find someone to protect you from me… The Snake is coming.  HSSSSSSSS.

When asked about this situation Sheik Adnan Al Kassie was fuming…

zgKU7Zv.png?1

Sheik Adnan Al Kassie:  Jake Robets… I should have expected this.  You are just like every other ungrateful American.  I paid you.  I paid you good money and what to you do?  Get jealous.  Your money is not enough.  Your payment is not the same as someone else.  Well listen up Roberts… your pay was not the same as Ted Dibiase and you are half the wrestler he is.  You are not in the same class as he is.  You ceiling is the North American Title.  That is where his skill begins.  He is a world champion.  You are second class.  Oh, by the way… Never question his black glove again.  You know as well as I do, you injured Dibiase’s right hand in our last training session.  You clumsily fell right on it.  You know doctors didn’t even want him to wrestle at Last Stand.  Roberts… be ready as my Army is coming for you.  We are going to take your $50,000 pay and take it from your hide!

Buk3VvR.png?1

Ted Dibiase:  Roberts… I did nothing to you.  Sheik is right… You are jealous.  Jealous of my pay, jealous of my skill.  Heck Jake, you are jealous of everything in my life.  I almost don’t blame you for Pear Harboring me at Last Stand.  I bet the anger was just building up since the day we met.  The problem for you is that my anger is now boiling.  You cost me the UWF Title.  To get even, the only thing for me to do is take your North American Title.  So anytime you have the guts to get in the ring with the Million Dollar Man, let me know. 

IS MICHAEL HAYES THE MOST SELFISH MAN IN PRO WRESTLING OR THE MOST LOYAL?

zaDCTb9.png?1

While Last Stand left us with so many unanswered questions, the biggest one might have been why Michael Hayes actually sacrificed Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin in the Loser-Leave Town Match against Terry Gordy, Dr. Death and Scott Casey. Well here is what Michael Hayes had to say on the issue…

If9TpeB.png?1

Michael Hayes:  Everywhere I go the people have been asking me, Michael…. Why did you throw Gorgeous Jimmy under the bus?  Why did you help him get devoured by the wolves when all you say is … Once a Freebird, always a Freebird.  As I told ya’ll once, back in 83 right there in Dallas, Texas, Jimmy Garvin helped us Freebirds out against those VonErich inbreeds. But the story doesn’t end there.  When Garvin had the chance to fight for the Texas Heavyweight Title, it was like he didn’t know the Freebirds existed.  He was selfish back in 83 and Buddy Jack and I decided that if it came down to one of us or Garvin… we were kicking him to the curb.  Now I wish him and his old lady well, but Freebirds stick together through thick and thin.  He just didn’t have that Freebird blood running through his veins.  Now, the Freebirds got a few unsolved issues… One… Terry Gordy is still walking around the UWF.  The folks down on Bad Street been wondering if I’m starting to lose my mojo… they starting to wonder if I can get the job done… Well listen up Jack… The Freebirds always get the job done.  Terry Gordy, you’re walking your last mile… Second thing… people been wondering about the Freebirds and how there’s always been three.  Well just to let you know that Freebird Fantasia is running through the veins of a lot of folks in Rasstlin!  People been calling up and saying Mike… you know I’m your man.  Make me the third Freebird!  Listen up Jack… Freebirds are born ready-made and we will tell you in when there’s someone capable of flying up high down on Bad Street with the Birds! 

7LAZd7u.jpg?2

Bill Watts:  Folks… I don’t respect Michael Hayes.  I don’t like Michael Hayes but I’ll tell you one thing.  He has a plan and I wouldn’t bet against him.  Terry Gordy… Be ready! 

WHY BRUISER BRODY JOINED ERNIE LADD!

4gVncYD.png?1

UWF Fans… it’s your own fault.  We keep believing Ernie Ladd is going to do one honest thing in his life.  We thought he had the guts to step in that ring at Last Stand and fight a fair fight against Bill Watts.  What were we thinking?  We should have know there was a trick up The Big Cats sleeve.  Now, we might not have guessed that trick to be Bruiser Brody but we should have expected something. 

After examining this issue, Bruiser Brody might be as much to blame as Ernie Ladd.  If it is possible, Bruiser Brody seems to have as much dislike for Bill Watts as Ernie Ladd.  Here is what the duo recently had to say about Bill Watts.

3dUNtql.png?1

Ernie Ladd:  Listen up you Big Dummy…   I didn’t hire Bruiser Brody.  He came to me.  I told you that there were others just like me who hates your guts and one would be coming real soon.  Brody just happened to be here even quicker then I thought.  Brody has vowed to do my fighting for me.  He knows I am retired and you are just trying to bully me into leaving the UWF just like you did to him. 

Bruiser Brody:  That’s right Watts.  Just before Thanksgiving you go and suspend me for no reason.  Black Bart attacked me and you take a pay check from me.  You took food out of my family’s mouth and now I am here to get even and there is nothing you can do about it.  My contract is with Ernie Ladd… not UWF.  You have no power over me and I don’t care if it is in the ring, the locker room or the parking lot, I’m getting my money back by taking it out of your hide

COMINGS & GOINGS AROUND THE UWF

Besides those already mentioned in this article, there have been many changes to the UWF Roster…

Gone: EA8XXBp.png

Scott Casey and Sunshine… The duo stated that they arrived in UWF to rid the Territory of “Gorgeous” Jimmy Garvin and Precious and after Last Stand, there job is complete.  It will be interesting to see if these two remain a duo or if they had joined forces to rid of a common enemy.  Either way, the UWF would like to thank them for a job well done!

Gone: bOaRPn2.png?1

“Soul Man” Rocky Johnson… After losing the unification match with Jake “The Snake” Roberts at Last Stand, Johnson has decided to part ways with the UWF.  Cowboy Bill Watts would like to thank Rocky for giving it everything he had and being a great Mid-South Champion.

Arriving: oVeMiPl.jpg?2

Rising Sun… It seems Tojo Yamamota has decided to become a full-time manager and has added The Great Muta to go along with Kendo Nagasaki.  Tojo plans on the two wrestling mostly in tag team action. 

Arriving:  OsX71oM.jpg?2  

Just a Rumor but don't miss an event near you as The King might be there!

There will be many other new individuals coming to the UWF in the very near future but you will have to tune in each and every week to see all the new big names!  The UWF is looking forward to making 1987 the best year yet in Dawn of War!

Daveis & Lane are officially the stupidest men in professional wrestling!

Sullivan wants more destruction!? I'm both scared and excited to find out what that looks like.

Ok am I the only one finding Gilbert's new act a bit too wholesome? Benoit & Steiner are a great start to his new faction however.

See Shiek this is what happens when you don't properly value your employees. Specifically when you shortchange a man like Jake Roberts.

Damn Hayes turned on Garvin over shit from 3 years ago! I like that headline. You really can read Hayes' behavior as placing SUCH a value on loyalty that he takes things too personally.

You don't mess with Bruiser Brody's money!

Some touching send-offs & a great tease for a potential arrival.

Wow, Last Stand was a helluva way to close out '86 and officially usher in the UWF!

The Rock & Roll Express has arrived! 

Jake the Snake puts down Rocky Johnson and Rocky is outta here.

Holy crap, I didn't expect to see Hayes turn on Garvin! Nicely done!

Brody is back and he's pissed!! Look out Cowboy!

Nothing I like better than a disingenuous Eddie Gilbert promo! Looking forward to seeing where this goes.

RnR are home! 

If Sullivan stays in Vader's ear, watch out UWF! 

Good explanation of the Patriots break up. I'll be watching out for Champion and his new attitude. 

Hot Stuff arrives and so do Benoit and Steiner. Hot Stuff Inc. will cause waves in 1987. Will Eddie remain a nice guy? 

Jake vs. Adnan and company will be a great headlining feud to kick off the new year. 

Awesome promo by Hayes! He sounds like he has a plan and Gordy better be on high alert. 

Speaking of being on high alert, Watts better be watching his back with Brody coming after him. 

Johnson and Casey had good UWF runs. Hopefully they carry that momentum to the next territories. 

Muta and Kendo will defiantly be a team to watch. 

Are the Jerry Lawler rumors true? Tune in to the Mid South Coliseum on New Year's Eve to find out. 

Great year Kev! Can't wait for 87! 

sDGELUR.png?2

kgPqFWR.png

r7NAyo2.png?1

Jan. 11th

Show opens with a video tape from this week’s show in Tulsa where Jake “The Snake” Roberts is holding a chair with Skeik Adnan Al Kassie closing in on him.

WHAM… Sheik throws a fireball at Snake but Snake had the chair in front of his face and the fireball seemed to rebound off the chair and caught the Sheik who is rolling around the ring.

From the historic Cowtown Palace, next to Billy Bob’s Texas in the heart of the Ft. Worth Stockyard, it’s Power Pro Wrestling.  Sixty minutes of the wildest action in professional Wrestling featuring the stars of the Universal Wrestling Federation.

Jim Ross:  Hello again everybody and welcome to the Cowtown Palace and Power Pro Wrestling.  You have just seen footage of what happened this past week in Tulsa between Jake “the Snake” Roberts and Sheik Adnan Al Kassie.  Hello again, I’m Jim Ross along with Cowboy Bill Watts, the President of the UWF.  Bill, we have another tremendous hour including the debut of Tojo Yamamota’s new tag team, Rising Sun taking on Verlon Biggs and Clive Johnson.  Koko Ware will be taking on The Brooklyn Brawler.  Kevin Sullivan’s monster, Big Van Vader will be facing Scott McGhee.  We will also see the debut of Eddie Gilbert’s new member of Hot Stuff Inc., Rick Steiner.  Brad Armstrong will be defending the UWF TV title for the first time tonight as he takes on “Canada’s Strongest Athlete” Iron Mike Sharpe and what a main event we have for the fans today,Bill.

Bill Watts:  We sure do as it will be a UWF Tag Team Title Match between Demolition and Terry Gordy and Steve “Dr. Death” Williams.  We have a great crowd on hand waiting for us to get it kicked off but before we start, I have to inform you, Ernie Ladd has demanded that Dick Murdoch pay for interfering in my match against him at Last Stand 86.

Jim Ross:  Are you kidding me!  Did he forget that it was Bruiser Brody who attacked you?  It was Brody the one interfering.

Bill Watts:  I know.  I know but we all know what type of sick man Ernie Ladd is.  Well, when I explained this all to Dick Murdoch he was more then willing to face either Bruiser Brody or Ernie Ladd this week in the Sam Houston Coliseum.  Ernie Ladd will be out here later with Brody to give us their answer.

Jim Ross:  Just our luck that Ladd will be here again.  Oh well, as the combatants are getting ready for our first match, I want to take you back to last week and the words of Michael Hayes.

VTR of Michael Hayes…..

Michael Hayes:  Every where I go the people have been asking me, Michael…. Why did you throw Gorgeous Jimmy under the bus?  Why did you help him get devoured by the wolves?  I tell them all, listen up man… Once a Freebird, always a Freebird.  As I told ya’ll once, back in 83 right there in Dallas, Texas, Jimmy Garvin helped us Freebirds out against those VonErich inbreeds. But the story doesn’t end there.  When Garvin had the chance to fight for the Texas Heavyweight Title, it was like he didn’t know the Freebirds existed.  He was selfish back in 83 and Buddy Jack and I decided that if it came down to one of us or Garvin… we were kicking him to the curb.  Now I wish him and his old lady well, but Freebirds stick together through thick and thin.  He just didn’t have that Freebird blood running through his veins.  Now, the Freebirds got a few unsolved issues… One… Terry Gordy is still walking around the UWF.  The folks down on Bad Street been wondering if I’m starting to lose my mojo… they starting to wonder if I can get the job done… Well listen up Jack… The Freebirds always get the job done.  Terry Gordy your walking your last mile… Second thing… people been wondering about the Freebirds and how there’s always been three.  Well just to let you know that Freebird Fantasia is running through the veins of a lot of folks in Rasstlin!  People been calling up and saying Mike… you know I’m your man.  Make me the third Frrebird!  Listen up Jack… Freebirds are born ready-made and we will tell you if and when there is someone capable of flying up high down on Bad Street with the Birds! 

Bill Watts:  Folks… I don’t respect Michael Hayes.  I don’t like Michael Hayes but I’ll tell you one thing.  He has a plan, and I wouldn’t bet against him.  Terry Gordy… Be ready!

MATCH #1

Rising Sun (Kendo Nagasaki & Muta) with Tojo vs Verlon Biggs & Clive Johnson

Total domination by Tojo’s new team with most of it coming by pure violence.  The end saw a nasty backbreaker/moonsault combo that left Clive Johnson nearly split in half.

After the match

Jim Ross:  Folks as you just saw, the tag team division in the UWF is getting deeper and deeper.  Rising Sun just had a very good debut but now I would like to bring in another team that recently arrived in the UWF… The Rock n Roll Express.  Robert how is your brother doing?

Robert Gibson:  Better Jim, thanks for asking but he has a long way to go before getting back in the ring.  The only good thing to come out of all of this is the RPM’s are outta here. 

Jim Ross:  Well, we are all pleased with that.  So, what is next for the Express here in the UWF?

Ricky Morton:  What’s next for the Rock n Roll Express baby is to show everyone around here everything the RnR’s got to offer.  We just saw Tojo’s new team out there and we want a piece of them.  Michael Hayes been all over the place running his mouth and Robert and I would love a chance to shut his mouth and let’s not forgot Sheik Adnan’s team.. The Masked Superstars or Demolition or whatever their calling themselves these days.  Whatever it is they always seem to be covering up those faces of theirs.  Whether with a mask on or a bunch of silly pain… well step in the ring with the Express and you’ll find out just how good we are!

Jim Ross:  Fans, you got to love the enthusiasm of the Rock n Roll Express.  Ok, next up, I would like to take you to this past Monday night in the Tulsa Civic Center where Steve “Dr. Death” Williams had just defeated Hercules Ayala and he had a very interesting bit of information for everyone.

VTR: 

Dr. Death:  Boy do I have a surprise for you all.  Ya know you people have watched me and followed me since I wrestled and played football for the University of Oklahoma.  (The crowd erupts)  I just want to bring someone out that you’re all very familiar with here in Tulsa.  The football and wrestling captain of this year’s Tulsa University’s Golden Hurricanes…He reminds me a lot of myself back in the day and now I am going to take him under my wing and make him my protégé…  Steve Cox

A handsome, well-built young man comes out to the ring and these two give a nice embrace!

Dr. Death:  Ya know Steve… the greatest thing in this business is to bring some one in here and then teach them…. Teach them how to kick some tail and take names.  Steve, I’m going to show you everything I know and all the tricks I got up my sleeve.  Now I’m going to tell you the best advice Bill Watts gave me…. always pay attention…  watch every single match.  What I’m telling you Big Boy is that I’m going to give the best seat in the house and you’re going to watch every one of my upcoming matches here in the UWF.

As we come back to the TV show, Jim Ross is really excited about the future of Steve Cox and let’s everyone know that he has the best mentor in the business.

MATCH #2

Koko Ware defeats the Brooklyn Brawler with a Top Rope Elbow Drop

After the match Ernie Ladd comes out with Bruiser Brody.  They both seem to have smiles on their faces after looking at the bruised face of Cowboy Bill Watts.

Ernie Ladd:  Watts… I’ve been calling you a big dummy for over a year now and you just prove me right week after week.  What were you thinking about taking on Bruiser Brody at Last Stand. 

Bill Watts:  Ladd….  The truth is exactly what I’ve been telling everyone around here.  You, Mr. Ladd are nothing but a big coward.  It was supposed to be me and you in the ring at Last Stand but instead you needed to bring a hired gun!

Ernie Ladd:  Wrong again Watts.  I didn’t hire Bruiser Brody.  He came to me.  I told you that there were others just like me who hates your guts and one would be coming real soon.  Brody just happened to be here even quicker than I thought.  Brody has vowed to do my fighting for me.  He knows I’m retired and you are just trying to bully me into leaving the UWF just like you did to him. 

Bruiser Brody:  That’s right Watts.  This week in the Sam Houston Coliseum, I will be the one facing Dick Murdoch in the ring.   Back just before Thanksgiving you go and suspend me for no reason.  Black Bart attacked me in the arena and you take a pay check from me.  You took food out of my family’s mouth and now I am here to get even and there is nothing you can do about it.  My contract is with Ernie Ladd… not UWF.  You have no power over me and I don’t care if it is in the ring, the locker room or the parking lot, I’m getting my money back by taking it out of your hide.  In fact, the time seems right now…

Brody closes in on Watts…

Jim Ross:  Watch out Bill… from out of nowhere it is Dick Murdoch who is all over Brusier Brody.  Ladd is now going after Watts.  Watts is ready…

We get a nasty 2-2 brawl on the coliseum floor that goes on and on until the locker rooms empty.

Jim Ross:  Well, it seems like UWF President Bill Watts has friends to and thank goodness for that.  Dick Murdoch has saved the day.   

MATCH #3

Big Van Vader with Kevin Sullivan vs Scott McGhee

McGhee never backed down here and gave Vader all he could handle but in the end, Vader was just too big for Scott McGhee.  McGhee did seem a little distracted during the match and Jim Ross speculated that it might be because Sunshine has decided to leave his side and head down to Florida.  Big Van Vader defeats Scott McGhee with a powerbomb after which Kevin Sullivan comes in and demands more punishment.  Vader seems hesitant so Kevin Sullivan picks up McGhee and whips him so hard into the corner that he flips upside down and now Sullivan begins stomping all over McGhee.  As Sullivan and Vader leave the ring, Sullivan could be heard yelling at Vader that he has to get meaner, more maniacal. 

MATCH #4

Rick Steiner with Eddie Gilbert & Missy Hyatt defeats Larry Cheatum with a German Suplex

There were a few times in the match were Steiner started to use some questionable tactics but Gilbert reprimanded him and reminded him to use his technical skills.

At the post-match interview, Eddie Gilbert and Missy Hyatt both expressed that Hot Stuff Inc. and Hyatt International is so excited to be helping the next generation of pure wrestlers and that it was a pleasure to watch someone like Rick Steiner, a former collegiate champion at Michigan University, remember just how great a wrestler he truly is.  When asked when his UWF debut was going to be, Eddie Gilbert said very soon and he was looking forward to giving all these great fans in the UWF a great show!  Jim Ross let us know that next week, it will be the debut of the other Hot Stuff Inc. youngster, Chris Benoit. 

MATCH #5

UWF TV TITLE MATCH

Brad Armstrong © defeats “Canada’s Greatest Athlete” Iron Mike Sharpe

Sheik Adnan Al Kassie and Ted Dibiase join Jim Ross at the interview desk.  Sheik has a bandage over his cheek where the fireball hit him after ricocheting off of Jake Robert’s chair.

Sheik Adnan Al Kassie:  Jim Ross… the time has come to put all other tasks on hold.  The time has come for Demolition to not worry about the UWF Tag Titles.  The time has come for Hercules Ayala to stop protecting me and become the hunter that he is.  It is even time for the Million Dollar Man to stop his pursuit of Hacksaw Butch Reed and the UWF Title.  It is time to put an end to Jake Roberts.  The man I once overpaid for his services… the ingrate who turned on me and my army.  The Man who scarred my face with a fireball… It is time Jake Roberts that your time in this business comes to an end.  I hear that you have some new found friends… Terry Gordy and Steve Williams have taken pity on you.  In fact, you seem to even have the UWF Champion on your side. This week in the Sam Houston Coliseum it will be my army against yours!  It will be the Massacre of the Century!

Ted Dibiase:  Jake Roberts… it might be an 8-Man Tag Match but I can assure you that me focus will be on you.  You cost me the UWF World Title and now it is my time for revenge. 

MATCH #6

MAIN EVENT:  UWF TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

Demolition © with Sheik Adnan Al Kassie vs Terry Gordy & Dr. Death Steve Williams with Steve Cox observing

As you would expect… No Wrestling Here!  This is a pure brawl from both sides with Demolition and the fan favorites sharing the momentum right down the middle.  In the end we get a double DQ for outside interference as all heck broke loose.  Hercules Ayala rushed the ring but the UWF Champion Hacksaw Butch Reed seemed to know this was coming and was right behind him.  These two were closely followed by Ted Dibiase and Jake Roberts…Our tag title match has turned into an 8-man melee.  All of a sudden Sheik is up on the apron with a chair ….

From behind, Steve Cox yanks the legs of the Sheik.  As he falls toward the apron he crashes face first into the chair and  then tumbles to the arena floor as the screen fades to black. 

Rising Sun has a bright future I the tag division.

RnR calling out everybody! There's some potential bangers on this roster.

Ware gets a win over perhaps wrestling's most famous jobber.

I'm all in for a Ladd/Brody vs Watts/Murdoch tag match.

It seems Sullivan still has a few finishing touches to put on his monster.

Gilbert is really leaning into this "teaching guys to play by the rules" thing. Let's see how long this lasts.

Armstrong nets his first successful defense of the UWF TV Title.

The non-finish to the main event is just gonna pour more fuel on the monster 8 man tag in Houston. Luckily for the good guys, Cox isn't afraid to stand up to the Sheik.

In my opinion, that finish by Rising Sun really got them over quick. 

RnR are back and lay down the challenge to any team. The tag division is at an all time high. 

Cox is one lucky guy to have a mentor like Dr. Death. 

Murdoch and Brody are now added into the Watts/Ladd feud. This is getting good. 

Vader puts McGhee down but it's not enough for Sullivan. Either Vader is going to become a sadistic monster or he's going to snap on Sullivan. Great story. 

Steiner pulls out some questionable tactics but Gilbert reels him back in and keeps him focused. 

Armstrong's TV title reign is off to a good start. 

Jake is in serious trouble as Adnan tells his army to put everything on hold and put Jake out of commission. 

Williams and Gordy vs. Demolition is a fan's dream brawl match. That's exactly what happens as all hell breaks loose. One thing's for sure, Jake has serious back up. I would pay top dollar to see that upcoming 8-man tag match. 

UWF kicks 1987 off with a bang!