Pro Wrestling Only

Grimmas

• 2 weeks later...

2001 as a whole is a blind spot for me in regards to what was going on in other promotions, but I think it's gotta be Austin. It's been well over a decade since I've seen the Rock Mania match, but the stuff he was doing with Kurt, Benoit, Jericho, Triple H, and Regal was always really good to great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've always thought 2001 was an extremely strong year for in ring performance. It gets forgotten/lost due to the death of WCW & ECW, Kobashi is injured, Tamura is doing shoots, HHH follows up his career year with a major injury, and looking backwards ROH isn't established yet. 

But holy cow it was a hell of a year. Legit candidates all over the world. My pick in 2001 and my pick today is still:
Satanico - Has the feud with Ultimo Guerrero & one of the great performances ever in the Infierno en el Ring

Runner Up- El Hijo del Santo has rivalries going with Cerebro, Parka, the Nicho match is teaming with Casas. Just an incredible year. 

More worth noting - Low Ki is the best wrestler in the US, Steve Corino, Shinya Hashimoto, Shinjiro Ohtani, La Parka, Chikayo Nagashima, Akira Hokuto, Mayumi Ozaki, Momoe Nakanishi all deserve shout outs. Awesome year.