Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 05/30 - 06/05 Gimme Big Dawg vs Xavier Woods

KawadaSmile

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun fact #2: Sumo wrestlers bang their 400lb stomachs against other 400lb stomachs and don't then lie prone for 3 seconds+.

Fun fact #3: pro-wrestling fan still believes that being big/tall/fat makes you weaker than smaller people...:P

11 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Fun fact #2: Sumo wrestlers bang their 400lb stomachs against other 400lb stomachs and don't then lie prone for 3 seconds+.

I've watched sumo for more than 20 years now, and I have very seldom seen rikishis bang their stomach on each others . That's such a pro-wrestling fan take it's not even funny ! :lol: Banging stomachs would be like the worst atari ever. They bang their shoulders and hell, sometimes their heads, Ishii style.

11 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Fun fact #3: pro-wrestling fan still believes that being big/tall/fat makes you weaker than smaller people...:P

When ? Where ? All I hear is "Ohhh, this guy should work *big*", Morrissey is pushed as a monster in IMPACT just because he's tall and cut, immobile fuckers like Omos are sold as impervious to pain freaks of nature, and we're in 2022. 

So wait, we are arguing about THIS ?

Seriously ? Doudrop just totally squashed herself, she has like 5 HP left after this ! It's funny, people talk about "Aww, it's video game, it's not realistic !" and yet, when you really think about it for more than two seconds, there are a lot of mechanisms in video game that make way more sense than in pro-wrestling. Doudrop sold the hit quite well too.

Bigger/heavier people tend to hit harder since they have more size to put behind their blows, but we've seen plenty of big folks get dusted in boxing and MMA by people smaller than them. 

If Doudrop was pushed as a no selling monster, this would probably be less of a debate, but she works pretty much like everyone else and the only time size seems to be a factor is that it made Vince see her as Bertha Faye 2022. 

By the way, speaking of Alexa her Twitter has been interesting recently. First she shot back at Corey Graves saying it looked like she was coasting on commentary last week on Raw, then she responded to a fan saying they missed her old gimmick with "I do too". She was another one who was put on ice due to creative not having anything for a while, and it seems she may not be thrilled with the plan after all this time was just "go back to the old you but keep carrying the doll". 

Oh for goodness' sake, brother El-P. There's no stomach-on-stomach contact in sumo? That's such a piss-poor take, even for a pro-wrestling fan.

36 minutes ago, El-P said:

When ? Where ?

When? When you mocked the very notion of, say, a Brock Lesnar squatting more than a Zach Gowan ("pro-wrestling fans still believe that being big/tall/fat makes you ...stronger than smaller people")

Where? About five posts up.

43 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Oh for goodness' sake, brother El-P. There's no stomach-on-stomach contact in sumo? That's such a piss-poor take, even for a pro-wrestling fan.

I explained to you what the atari is, the very first contact in the fight, when the two body meet, which is the most brutal chock (well, or not, depending on how they do it). After this it's either slaps and pushes on the chest, either a matter of positioning and technique using the arms and the belt as pressure points to control your body's opponent. That's a fact, not a "take". Sumo is not about "banging stomach". Only people who don't know anything about sumo would say such a thing.

43 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

When? When you mocked the very notion of, say, a Brock Lesnar squatting more than a Zach Gowan ("pro-wrestling fans still believe that being big/tall/fat makes you ...stronger than smaller people")

Where? About five posts up.

Checks out...

1 hour ago, El-P said:

Fun fact : pro-wrestling fans still believe that being big/tall/fat makes you more resistant to pain and stronger than smaller people. And then they talk about "realism". :P 

So, I did not mock the notion of, say, Brock Lesnar squatting more than Zach Gowen (WTF do you get that out of what I said, who the hell would say that ? ). I mocked the fact that there is this trope in pro-wrestling where a guy which is either big and muscular, big and fat or tall is *by default* considered thougher and more resistant to pain than a smaller guy. It's a general trope. Not just in pro-wrestling of course, but we talk pro-wrestling here. Being muscular and tall doesn't make you a tough guy. Anyone can have a glass jaw, it has nothing to do with you body frame. Of course, being heavier means that you should *hit* heavier, but you gotta also consider technique (I mean, who looks the most dangerous in a fight to you, Giant Gonzalez or Bryan Danielson ?). And again, hitting heavier doesn't automatically mean you're able to sustain pain better. If you believe some old-school guys including Bret, Raymond Rougeau could have whipped most of WWF's roster's ass in 1987. Bob Backlund was way stronger than any of the huge steroid-looking freak pushed in the Hogan era and who were supposed to have that superhuman strenght.

As far as believing being big, tall, fat = being weaker, well, I did not even hint at such a thing, but whatever. 

Whatever, indeed.

You know sumos don't train or fight with a full stomach, don't you? Because a blow to a full stomach can be deadly? Why have that in place if there's no blows to the stomach (rhetorical, but I can't see you taking it rhetorically ;)).

Again thanks to all for your efforts in educating me, but I'm never buying Little Beaver splashing King Kong Bundy as a finisher. Apparently I'm on an island, and that's ok.

37 minutes ago, Dav'oh said:

Why have that in place if there's no blows to the stomach (rhetorical, but I can't see you taking it rhetorically ;)).

No indeed.:D They don't take "blows" to the stomach by "banging them" against each other, nor do they hit their belly (they slap/push the chest and occasionally also slap the fuck out of the opponent, Minoru Suzuki style, which is always super impressive). They do however fall on their stomach a lot when their opponent push them straight down. 

Wait, did you just say a blow to a full stomach can be deadly ? Well there you go. Doudrop was probably hitting catering before the match. Then she squashed her belly on the mat missing the Vader Bomb and Alexa fell on her stomach again, she was all but done ! She's probably happy to having survived this match.

Being overweight isn't an advantage in itself. It still hurts to get punched or hit in the stomach. It's harder to get up because you're pulling extra weight behind you. Not to say that Doudrop shouldn't work differently from an average girl but in kayfabe that stuff still hurts.

5 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Ridge Holland may overrate how strong he truly is. Dude is trying to ragdoll people but is fucking up time and time again.

Shocked they haven't put the clamps on him after the Big E incident, pretty sure he dropped someone on their head in NXT too.

Also I guess Max Du PREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's gimmick is a guy who doesn't respect anyone's personal spance?