Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 11/14 - 11/20 Glass Shatters is a top tier theme

KawadaSmile

Austin just needs someone like Owens last year - a heel that can do a little brawling in the crowd, bump for haymakers like they've been struck by lightning, and bounce off a Stunner. If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Theory and its not because I'm an Austin Theory fan. The issue is that the WWE is a bit light on heels that fit the bill.

Rollins just turned face but would've probably been the ideal candidate.

I'd like to see The Miz in the spot, but for whatever reason, I'm not sure he'd get the nod despite being the best possible choice (he can carry the feud via promos when Austin isn't around and making a smoke-and-mirrors match work is actually one of his strong suits).

Sami has a babyface-in-a-heel-stable vibe so I don't think he'd be the guy, though he obviously deserves some sort of big Mania match after being arguably the company MVP since last Mania.

Then you've got heels that would just make no sense - Judgment Day, Karrion Kross, Lashley now (?), Corbin....I don't know, none really strike me as more realistic than Theory. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, DMJ said:

Having an empty spot going into the show, in Sasha's hometown, with rumors that her and Naomi are returning (they were recently added back to the pre-show video package, I believe),

They weren't added back to the pre-show intro package. That was a mistake they made by using the wrong open for Crown Jewel. They weren't in recent intro packages for TV after Crown Jewel.

AUSTIN?????

Obviously people didn't get their fix of "sexagenarian nonsensically defeating a current WWE Superstar". Cos if he was going to lay down, he would've done it for poor, now-worthless KO (the best use that people are hoping for him is "Sami's sidekick", not "dethroning Reigns").

Sigh. Feed him Theory. We all know up-and-comer Steve Austin needs the W as he build towards nothing.

If it's all about Austin being protected by his opponent, and only turning up once a year, he can keep doing Mania matches - and winning - until he's 90, no?

If "no", then you have an arbitrary line, like me, of "ok, this is just stupid now". Austin has well and truly crossed my line.

Austin c1998-2002 may have been the greatest wrestler ever. Austin in 2023 is not the greatest wrestler ever, just his shadow. All the chatter I see is about who can hold his hand and help him cross the street without getting hurt.

Austin's not even a nostalgia trip anymore - he wrestled just last year!

Austin left with his body way more intact (except the neck of course) so he's physically in better shape than most nostalgia acts. Hell, a video of him hangin' and bangin' in the gym came out after this potential WM rumor started popping up. 

His match with KO showed he was way more capable than we were thinking he would be, and it seems clear now he was using that match to see how he held up after doing it. It appears that he must have felt ok enough that he's down to do another one. 

Also, Austin doesn't come off as a guy who would want to keep going over young guys long after he was old and decrepit. Him beating KO didn''t hurt anyone, especially since he overdelivered everyone's expectations. 

I guess what shits me is: who on earth needs Johnny fn Knoxville in 2022? Who on earth needs Steve Austin in 2022/23 and probably beyond? Who on earth needs Logan ohgodno Paul (such a great wrestler, they were so busy teaching him moonsaults and buckshots (i.e FLIPZ!!) that they didn't bother with Rule #1, "Don't Hurt Yourself") in 2022 and beyond?

WWE. If you need a burnt matchstick like Knoxville to sell your company's biggest event, if you need to roll out an old man who hasn't wrestled in two decades (!!!), if a YouTube shitcunt (reformed or not) is presented as a bigger star and a contender...what does that say about the company and its full-time workers?

There's people that we want to see pushed, and not on Main Event. We want to see workers pushed on the Grandest Stage of All, and that can't happen while they're giving pushes to self-serving blow-ins and part-timers. An argument as old as 'Mania itself, I know.

I mean the very first Wrestlemania had Mr. T in the main event, so.......yeah? It's been part of the show since day one.  Bruno didn't have a match per se, but he was ringside with David and was involved in the post match brawl so 2022 Austin getting involved would be respecting tradition. 

6 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

I guess what shits me is: who on earth needs Johnny fn Knoxville in 2022? Who on earth needs Steve Austin in 2022/23 and probably beyond? Who on earth needs Logan ohgodno Paul (such a great wrestler, they were so busy teaching him moonsaults and buckshots (i.e FLIPZ!!) that they didn't bother with Rule #1, "Don't Hurt Yourself") in 2022 and beyond?

WWE. If you need a burnt matchstick like Knoxville to sell your company's biggest event, if you need to roll out an old man who hasn't wrestled in two decades (!!!), if a YouTube shitcunt (reformed or not) is presented as a bigger star and a contender...what does that say about the company and its full-time workers?

There's people that we want to see pushed, and not on Main Event. We want to see workers pushed on the Grandest Stage of All, and that can't happen while they're giving pushes to self-serving blow-ins and part-timers. An argument as old as 'Mania itself, I know.

I get what you are saying, bubba, but as noted before, Wrestlemania was never *just* about the wrestling. The first two editions had Mr. T, and on Wrestlemania 2 he had a BOXING MATCH against Roddy Piper. Besides, considering how they made WM a two day event, plus the NXT event that happens on Saturday afternoon, it becomes harder and harder for someone to not have their big pay day because a part timer was featured.

Like, it makes sense that they are rolling out nostalgia acts or crossover talent or whatever that is popular and outside the wrestling spectrum because Wrestlemania is their event which appeals to the masses, to the mainstream audiences, to the Regular Joe and Joanna who aren't so much into wrestling but appreciate a good dose of spectacle.

To make an appropriate comparison, the Superbowl is a bit similar to Wrestlemania ever since it had those big damn halftime shows (thanks MJ). Sure, the event is the final game of the season, but many people who are not into the sport have their eyes on the musical number associated to it.

You need your biggest event to draw as many eyes as possible and widen your scope. 

This does remind me of when Bad Bunny, who is legit one of the biggest musical acts going on today - and might be one of the biggest draws in history - was announced for Wrestlemania, some complained, said "who?" and pondered if god damn SALIVA wouldn't be a better name.