Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/19 - 12/25 Messi. Ronaldo Nazario. Mbappe. Pele.

KawadaSmile

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, sek69 said:

So apparently Mandy  made like $500k *since* she got fired from WWE on her subscription site.

That has to be a case of diminishing returns, given a million more pairs of mammaries are just a click away. Not to be crude, but I don't know how strong "wank loyalty" is.

I had suspected it was fake because the video he posted didn't actually show him getting inked and the tattoo artist wasn't wearing gloves. Then again, the alternative (only pretending to be that much of an E-drone) makes even less sense. And F4W is reporting on it as if it's legit. If it is, that's worse than Cody's neck tattoo. At least Cody was simping for his own brand and not a corporation. On that note, this guy said he plans on getting an NXT neck tattoo. He deserves to be named geek of the millennium just for saying that out loud.

9 hours ago, sek69 said:

You know it won't be too long before NXT 2.0 fucks around and ends up as good or better than the old (new?) NXT. There's enough people who've flipped the switch and the Bron and Roxy types who are just born to do this shit. 

There are a few good performers, but nothing about that shitshow I watched last night is remotely poised to be even as good as late black and gold NXT, let alone classic NXT. Some of the most blatantly stagey segments I’ve ever seen, abysmal dialogue, terrible and unflattering gear for many of the female performers (is it still basically mandatory that the women have to dress like pinup models? they need to change that injunction if so), and gimmicks that are simultaneously over the top and bland. Andre Chase, the grumpy teacher? Tony D’Angelo, the Mad TV Sopranos spoof? Grayson Waller the Australian guy who reads WWE writer dialogue?

1 hour ago, KawadaSmile said:

Andre Chase fucking rocks what are you talking about? 

What rocks about him? The few matches I’ve seen of his were nothing special, and the backstage segments with him are the same sterile, unfunny WWE writer’s room nonsense that completely undercuts whatever sense of reality and investment you might affix to the work in the ring. And his gimmick is terrible, early 90s WWF stuff.

I'd rather watch somewhat cringy NXT 2.0 promos (and guess what, 90% of pro wrestling promos are cringe-y, the only different between cringe-y NXT promos and cringe-y AEW promos are the wrestlers are thinking of the cringe) than another pointless Just Signed Indy Guy vs. Just Signed Indy Guy in a 20-minute match with 15 kickouts. 

Jesse do you like or have unmitigated passion about anything? Literally everywhere I have ever seen you post, whether about politics or wrestling or whatever, it’s nothing but meta-commentary about how certain people or factions annoy you or are making fools of themselves because they are making an argument without accounting for a prior that you consider important to the conversation. I’ve never seen you just say something in wrestling rocks or sucks, a movie was good or bad, something some politician said moved you or pissed you off, anything like that, just “Young Bucks fans and CM Punk fans are both delusional about how popular their guys are” and “Will Stancil is being too much of a Bernie bro to see the big picture” type of posts.

The benchmark in wrestling is "does it get over with the crowd", and for as much as you may or may not like it he's over with the NXT crowd.  Unless you want to become one of those old cranks who shit on everything because it's not their cup of tea, sometimes it pays to step back and look at the bigger picture. Wrestling is meant to entertain the crowd, and sometimes the things that entertain them are things you won't like and/or "get". 

Is the NXT crowd representative of the TV audience though? I remember they were cheering Tony D'Angelo when he first showed up too. I feel like they are cheering ironically, or maybe a lot of them are friends of Chase or the members of his group or something. Like I am not sure you can extrapolate the NXT crowd reaction to a main roster arena crowd.

I mean, we're talking about a show no one watches or pays to attend (I mean that literally in the latter sense as my understanding is they bus people in for free). I've mostly held my tongue on criticizing Bray Wyatt since his return because I recognize he's a legitimate business mover even if the act doesn't appeal to me on any level. But nobody on NXT 2.0 warrants exemption from criticism on grounds of being over because none of them are. If anything, the old cranks are the ones watching NXT since 50+ males are the only demographic the show has any success with.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

The benchmark in wrestling is "does it get over with the crowd", and for as much as you may or may not like it he's over with the NXT crowd.  Unless you want to become one of those old cranks who shit on everything because it's not their cup of tea, sometimes it pays to step back and look at the bigger picture. Wrestling is meant to entertain the crowd, and sometimes the things that entertain them are things you won't like and/or "get". 

My immediate thought is The Question Mark in NWA Powerrr. It was ridiculous & corny but the live studio audience, for whatever reason, ate it up. Like Lance Hoyt in TNA. Sometimes, I don't think something is over, so much as the regulars try to make something meta so that it's "theirs."