Pro Wrestling Only

RIP Lanny Poffo

Ricky Jackson

24 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I always thought putting Bevs and Genius together as a team was strange to run on TV, so maybe the purpose was to heat them up for the LOD/Ellering match you mentioned? 

They had a bunch of trios matches in 92, including some squashes, so maybe that was it. I mean, it's not like they were winning even against High Energy & Max Moon.

(I wonder if back then some people got pissed at Koko for using a DDT as a transitional move :ph34r:)

48 minutes ago, C.S. said:

I don't think that's the match I saw, because I'm assuming there's no way in hell LOD and Ellering would lose to Bevs and Genius, and I clearly remember the latter winning the match and Genius being highlighted in every replay. I always thought putting Bevs and Genius together as a team was strange to run on TV, so maybe the purpose was to heat them up for the LOD/Ellering match you mentioned? 

Maybe this one? They had some matches around then with the Bushwhackers and JIm Neidhart too but I don't know if they made tv. 

2 hours ago, El-P said:

They had a bunch of trios matches in 92, including some squashes, so maybe that was it. I mean, it's not like they were winning even against High Energy & Max Moon.

(I wonder if back then some people got pissed at Koko for using a DDT as a transitional move :ph34r:)

Jake was gone from the company by then, no? So they probably didn't care and probably was happy to see a jabroni like Koko was at the time "devalue" Jake's big finisher.

2 hours ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Maybe this one? They had some matches around then with the Bushwhackers and JIm Neidhart too but I don't know if they made tv. 

It wasn't either of these, because Bevs/Genius won and Genius's acrobatic moves dominated the replay highlights after the match.

I think it probably aired on Superstars or Challenge.

12 hours ago, C.S. said:

Jake was gone from the company by then, no?

Hum... I think so, yes. But really, it was me talking shit about people being booboo about "devaluing finishers". 

BTW that match was really good for 1992 WWF TV. Can't get more 1992 pro-westling than those outfits too.

Lanny was my favorite WWF jobber growing up, he had more personality than half the guys on top and was doing moonsaults back when no one else was.  And yeah, the Genius was absolutely meant to be effeminate,  but it honestly Lanny was so into it that somehow it didn't seem that bad.

It's always funny to hear Lanny do an eerily perfect impression of hs brother and realize the famous Macho Man voice is just low pitched Leaping Lanny :lol:

9 hours ago, El-P said:

Meltz had a very nice interview with Mary Fries, daughter of Pampero Firpo, talking about Lanny Poffo. 

Cornette mentioned the last time he talked with Poffo was in 2019 when Lanny called him to ask if it would be okay if he passed on Cornette's contact info to Fries.