Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 06/05 - 06/11 Gilberto Gil is the GOAT

KawadaSmile

- I'm thinking 3 Stages of Hell for Cody/Brock, though I'm not sure what the three individual matches would be. Whatever it is, I wouldn't mind something with a whole bunch of set pieces if they can pull it off like last year's SummerSlam match between Reigns/Lesnar. That was the furthest thing from a classic wrestling match, but it was sure as hell riveting sports-entertainment. 

- I tried watching Raw for the first time in many, many months as I mostly keep up with the company online and by watching the PLEs. While there were segments/matches I liked (Owens vs. Gunther, for example), I think watching the show has given me even more reason to really dislike Seth Rollins. I don't know how anyone enjoys this guy's act. In the ring, sure, he's very capable and I've come around to at least admitting that he's dependable for a crowd-pleasing workrate match...but this character is absolute cringe and considering every other character he's had in the company has been generic, he's got to be one of the most over-pushed guys in history. The forced laugh? The stupid Joker dance? Its try-hard and unfunny and not cool and I think if I saw a human over the age of 9 wearing a Seth Rollins tee-shirt in public, I'd just feel bad for them. I've given up on even wondering what I'm missing - he's just not for me and I'll never understood who he is for.

Also, just to posit this again, singing along to Rollins' theme is over (see "Roode, Bobby" too), but to my ears, Rollins' theme is basically the same notes as Nakamura's (and his dance shtick reminds me of Asuka), so even the undeniably crowd-pleasing parts of Seth's gimmick seem more than a little "inspired" (like when they tried to give Big Show the "Yes" chant, only this time, because Rollins is more over than Asuka and Nak, the audience didn't balk at him basically stealing their bits). 

4 hours ago, TheDuke said:

Seth Rollins weird gimmick worked better as a heel. I know the fans started cheering for him and singing the song. They should have just changed the song.

100% this.

Just like Jericho in AEW. If they are supposed to be heels, take away the damn song that is more over than the performer!

According to the latest Observer, one of the ideas on the table for Cody/Brock at Summerslam is a bullrope match. The last bullrope match in the company was in 2005 according to Cagematch, so that would indeed be something we haven't seen in a while. It's kind of hard to do a match like that without blood, though. You can't really whip someone with a rope like you can with a strap or a chain. Then again, I wouldn't put it past Brock to get busted open hardway by taking a cowbell to the face.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Seriously though, we all just are supposed to forget Rhea has the SD women's title? They just gave the new belt to the Raw champ and called it a day?

Rhea is gonna get her new title called the World Women's Championship. Basically, same situation than for Asuka.

10 hours ago, sek69 said:

I could hear the sigh coming from Brazil all the way up here when she walked out, bubba.

I swear to God if they have Asuka put Charlotte over again, man...

The whole momentum of the division has to stop dead in its tracks just so Charlotte can be champion or challenge for the title. It's the only thing she has going. She's bound to that god damn title like the Nazgûl are to the One Ring.

It appears LA Knight is getting the briefcase. How far do ya'll think his push will go? What's his ceiling right now? Knight is getting over with his look and presence, but I'm not hyped to actually watch him wrestle. Is this the next Mr. Kennedy? (...Kennedy)

1 hour ago, MLB said:

It appears LA Knight is getting the briefcase. How far do ya'll think his push will go? What's his ceiling right now? Knight is getting over with his look and presence, but I'm not hyped to actually watch him wrestle. Is this the next Mr. Kennedy? (...Kennedy)

Kennedy was a worse talker and a much bigger headache. Him being involved in the steroid scandal and being reckless to Orton at the height of his popularity sure didn't help.

23 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

Kennedy was a worse talker and a much bigger headache. Him being involved in the steroid scandal and being reckless to Orton at the height of his popularity sure didn't help.

True, although Kennedy is probably the better worker of the two. 

I meant more in the sense of the loud, Rock/Austin mashup singalong type of promo that gets over but isn't quite enough to break into the top guys because he is bland in the ring.

On 6/7/2023 at 5:02 AM, DMJ said:

- I tried watching Raw for the first time in many, many months as I mostly keep up with the company online and by watching the PLEs. While there were segments/matches I liked (Owens vs. Gunther, for example), I think watching the show has given me even more reason to really dislike Seth Rollins. I don't know how anyone enjoys this guy's act. In the ring, sure, he's very capable and I've come around to at least admitting that he's dependable for a crowd-pleasing workrate match...but this character is absolute cringe and considering every other character he's had in the company has been generic, he's got to be one of the most over-pushed guys in history. The forced laugh? The stupid Joker dance? Its try-hard and unfunny and not cool and I think if I saw a human over the age of 9 wearing a Seth Rollins tee-shirt in public, I'd just feel bad for them. I've given up on even wondering what I'm missing - he's just not for me and I'll never understood who he is for.

Also, just to posit this again, singing along to Rollins' theme is over (see "Roode, Bobby" too), but to my ears, Rollins' theme is basically the same notes as Nakamura's (and his dance shtick reminds me of Asuka), so even the undeniably crowd-pleasing parts of Seth's gimmick seem more than a little "inspired" (like when they tried to give Big Show the "Yes" chant, only this time, because Rollins is more over than Asuka and Nak, the audience didn't balk at him basically stealing their bits). 

I remember when they tried to co-opt the Yes! chants for Big Show. :lol: In retrospect, it made the fans want Bryan more. 

In defense of Rollins, I'm not surprised his current gimmick is over. There is a Willy Wonka/Mad Hatter babyface charm to it. Bright, abstract fashion. Seth always had the stuff in the ring, a flashy moveset.  The laugh is an echo of "Broken" Matt. Seth is married to Beck with a kid, so there is a lot of goodwill from fans there.  The various homages with his ring gear is fan friendly. Sometimes, if I squint hard enough, I see some of Randy Savage's madness in it.  

5 hours ago, MLB said:

True, although Kennedy is probably the better worker of the two. 

I meant more in the sense of the loud, Rock/Austin mashup singalong type of promo that gets over but isn't quite enough to break into the top guys because he is bland in the ring.

I think LA Knight does just enough in the ring to be good. He can bump well and always made his opponent look good, even if his offense is a bit uninspired. But he's an excellent talker (with a good fucking theme song) in a world where most are average. He would be a great shitbag champ.