AEW Forbidden Door 2 - 6-25-23 - Okada vs. Danielson

Timbo Slice

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Btw, thank you to @NintendoLogic for giving Tony the heads up about the Final Countdown being available.

I had been staying out of this thread until I had a chance to watch the main event to avoid spoilers, but when I logged on this morning and saw the notification that I had been tagged in a post, I knew exactly what had happened.

Okada/Danielson had the same problem a lot of dream matches have. For the most part, it felt like both guys were just going through their greatest hits with a lot of inorganic-feeling transitions to put the other guy in position for his opponent's moves. As terrible as the seizure spot was, Okada kicking the doctor out of the ring so he could go for a rainmaker was pretty lol. Also, I'll cut them some slack if they were trying to cover for Danielson's broken arm. The finish was certainly ballsy both in being a total shock and in Danielson gutting it out.

The two Wrestlemanias beat it I assume. 

Regardless, a big success undoubtedly. Hope Dragon recovers quickly. What was scarier was him casually listing other injuries he has which he dismissed as "normal". Like no Bryan, compressed vertebrae is not normal!

The first mention of Danielson in the Observer is in reference to an article the local newspaper in San Antonio did on students at Shawn Michaels' wrestling school. In the article, he bragged about how he had already suffered three concussions three months into his career. Self-preservation has never been his strong suit.

Dragon's toughness has never been up for debate, hard as nails. People have been begging the guy to slow down since he started, at times I am concerned for his mental health because he's out of his mind. I remember he got into it with HHH backstage over a risky spot. Contrary to popular belief, Vince always loved Dragon and once said he wished he had a locker room full of Bryan's. 

1 hour ago, MLB said:

Dragon's toughness has never been up for debate, hard as nails. People have been begging the guy to slow down since he started, at times I am concerned for his mental health because he's out of his mind. I remember he got into it with HHH backstage over a risky spot. Contrary to popular belief, Vince always loved Dragon and once said he wished he had a locker room full of Bryan's. 

IIRC HHH told the ref over the earpiece  to stop a match because Bryan had a stinger and he got super pissed at him about it. 

19 hours ago, hammerva said:

I don't watch a lot of New Japan but has Kevin Kelly normally mention how incredibly physically limited Tanahashi is in the ring on New Japan shows?  And not limited because MJF work in the ring but because of his career.  Seems like something that isn't really featured in Japan

I know this is probably naïve but wonder if Tana problem with climbing to the top rope is another way of dealing with his physical issue?  I mean it isn't like the turnbuckles were different against Moxley last year

Yes. It's been the main story and talking point in commentary of Tana matches for the past 5-6 years. Although now it is to the point where Tana should probably retire to the NJ Dads division and only work one or two singles matches a year. Although the match was much more enjoyable than I had anticipated (and than Swerve match) because it was 95% shtick from both.

A similar reaction to Jungle Boy/Sanada, which seemed to me like it would have been the dullest match of the night on paper, but turned out to be pretty solid. The heel turn to feud with Hook was very much what I expected to go down and should be good for both guys to actually have something to do now. Really hope Jungle Boy starts wearing turtlenecks.

4 way was a blast. Off hand, it might be the best 4 way match I can remember. Perfectly paced, everyone's spots being perfect for their characters, great intereactions from everyone. 

10 man tag was also super fun. Takeshita just fucking startching people left and right :lawd:

Very unsurprising to me that the match featuring Chris Jericho was the worst on the card, but I'm going to blame Sammy for killing the crowd by nearly killing Sting TWICE. Keep that man away from anyone over 40. Kind of bummed at the lack of Sting no selling a Suzuki death elbow, but would like to see Darby vs MiSu sometime. What a wild group of people Sting has worked with through AEW. Just in the past 12 months: Muta, Marufuji, HAKUSHI, Minoru Suzuki, Naito, Shingo, the Young Bucks, Orange, Miro, Keith Lee, Dustin Rhodes, Jeff Jarrett. Wild.

Punk becoming John Cena is hilarious. It's way better than happy to be here Punk, for sure. Kojima can still go hard in the paint. Kind of crazy that both Kojima and Nagata are in better physical shape than Tanahashi despite being a generation ahead of him.

Kenny/Ospreay was more what I was expecting at WK and was really something. GOAT rope break. I would have preferred Calis to not be involved but ultimately it wasn't that big of a deal.

Bryan/Okada could never live up to the hype, but even working with a broken arm for 10 minutes, shit was a delight. Bryan has to drop the seizure selling. He's been doing that a couple times a year since his FIRST come  back in 2015 and it is just gross every time he does it. I wonder if the surprise finish was the plan or what. I think it was better than a 70 step Okada finishing sequence, though. When I saw that Bryan had broken his forearm, I couldn't tell when it happened during the match and assumed it was from one of those uppercuts that sounded particularly violent. 

Thought it was a good show.  Omega/Ospreay was a pretty clear runaway MOTN for me and I hope they do the third one when I’m there at All Out.  Loved the 10 man and the 4-way, also.  I also thought Willow had a great showing and really liked that match.  I’m completely disinterested in anything Punk does at this point but glad people liked that.  Glad Sting didn’t die.