Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV - 12/13 - 12/16 - Look In My Eyyyeee, What Do You See?

Timbo Slice

10 hours ago, El-P said:

Yep. Still. 9 matches. Only one women match (the main-event, but less than this would be insulting to Athena & Billie). For ROH, which has a much stronger women match presence than the regular AEW shows. Where are Leila Hirsch, Rachael Ellering and the Renegade Sisters, who actually have a story going on ? Also, why aren't

Made it to two! Random but Nyla Rose vs. Vertvixen has been added to Final Battle.

Agreed @ Leyla/Rachael/Renegades being weekly highlights. 

6 minutes ago, Alucard said:

Nyla Rose vs. Vertvixen has been added to Final Battle.

For fuck's sake Coach TK.

6 minutes ago, Alucard said:

Agreed @ Leyla/Rachael/Renegades being weekly highlights. 

I've been really surprised by Ellering, who looks the best I ever saw her (wasn't high on her IMPACT stint). Leyla is awesome and I've loved the Renegades since day one I've seen them as jobbers. Good stuff right there, with the inclusion of the always terrific Maria Kanellis. So much potential that IS NOT ON THE SHOW !

4 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

Agreed. He needs to be elevated into the main event scene and stay there, in the first three months of the new year at the latest. Otherwise, they are idiots.

3 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Basically everyone that follows AEW agrees that 1) Swerve should be their world champ ASAP and 2) the Devil storyline has no possible good payoff, which is gonna hurt even more than usual considering it's a mystery angle that has ran for 3-4 months at this point. And still, I have very little faith Tony's booking will let 1) happen at an appropriate time and continue to push 2) as a huge angle even though there's no way to make it compelling or even have a good reveal.

Also, like Swerve has caught on, so they should strike while the iron is hot. The entrance & Nana dance is over. If anything, they should be giving Moxley some time off. Have to start giving Swerve big wins. 

So far Final Battle isn't a bad Ring of Honor show but really feels like a show with 3 set in stone matches and the rest of the card put together by a dart board.

Okay the Survival of the Fittest 6 way match was really fucking good.  Bryan Keith and Lee Moriarty looked like big time stars and the Fletcher and Kommander at the end was insane.  

The Jay Briscoe tribute 6 man match went actually as it should have been.  A really good technical match turning into an insane bloody Anarchy in the Arena match.    That finish with Mark and Danielson is PRO WRESTLING

Thought Final Battle was a really great show all the way through.  Crowd was on fire for the Survival of the Fittest closing stretch. Fight without Honor was a real war. 

Main event was amazing, really thought Billie would pull it off.  Also thought Ethan Page and Tony Nese went way above and delivered a great feud blowoff. 

I know they run bigger venues for Dynamite/Collision than stand alone ROH shows, but I think they should consider using the ROH set up with the hard cam elevated behind that announcers direct from the entrance instead of from the side. Gives a neat lucha like production flavor that really stands out against the traditional hard cam position.

Perhaps I was jaded by the initial feedback I saw suggesting a low end MOTYC, but Dragon & co. vs. Briscoe/FTR was very much very good rather than anything spectacular. It seemed like they (rightfully) went out of their way to hide and protect Danielson. Very much enjoyed the spotlight on Briscoe between his bumps at the end and scoring the fall, but far from a memorable classic. That's not to say it wasn't great, but the vibe from those watching live and online ratings suggested something at a very different level than what I saw.

2 minutes ago, strobogo said:

I remember Athena Ember Moon making a comment about not wearing booty shorts likes Mandy Rose and yet every time I see her in AEW/ROH, she's wearing trunks that are much skimpier than what any dude or Mandy Rose ever wore and it makes me lol.

TBF I would assume there's a difference between choosing to wear something like that and having your boss have you wear it for skeevy reasons.

1 minute ago, sek69 said:

TBF I would assume there's a difference between choosing to wear something like that and having your boss have you wear it for skeevy reasons.

Mandy's pre and post WWE career would lead me to believe her ring gear main roster and NXT was her own choices considering she got fired for the kind of pictures she was posting online.

I looked it up, and the exact quote was "I'm not about to wear fishnet booty buttcheek shorts because we had a two-hour meeting about how to dress like Mandy Rose." For context, the company at that time was holding "fashion consulting" meetings where it was never overtly stated but strongly implied that they wanted the women to dress sexier. So yeah, the issue wasn't with wearing skimpy clothing but being compelled to do so by management. She also said she didn't want to dress that way because she catered to children. That presumably isn't an issue now since nobody watches ROH, let alone children.

32 minutes ago, strobogo said:

That man ain't retiring, full time or part time

I mean, he's said countless times he isn't retiring. Shit, depending on how his body holds up in the next 10 years, wouldn't shock me at all to see him back in a regular basis once both his kids are teenagers, he's truly insane about wrestling :lol:

Whoever decided it was smart to have the hard cam facing the giant ramp during that ROH show... That's one thing I never got about japanese shows over the last 20 years (was that AJPW which started doing it in the early 00's ?) and I still don't get. Why show a fucking empty space instead of your audience ? It's no big deal in smaller companies when you actually see the audience on both sides, as the ramp and screen are a lot smaller, but this looks just awkward and... empty. It was so obvious they tried to correct it during the main event.

Komander is never winning a match that matters, ever. He's typecasted as a spectacular jobber already. And Billie should have defeated Athena. Terrific matches, both (I mean the Komander vs Fletcher part of it), but bad booking decisions. Athena should be done with ROH now and be on the actual TV show. Her losing the title is just gonna be a moment of "it was time" instead of being a climatic end. 

On 12/17/2023 at 2:04 AM, WingedEagle said:

Perhaps I was jaded by the initial feedback I saw suggesting a low end MOTYC, but Dragon & co. vs. Briscoe/FTR was very much very good rather than anything spectacular. It seemed like they (rightfully) went out of their way to hide and protect Danielson. Very much enjoyed the spotlight on Briscoe between his bumps at the end and scoring the fall, but far from a memorable classic. That's not to say it wasn't great, but the vibe from those watching live and online ratings suggested something at a very different level than what I saw.

Agreed. I guess this is a typical case of real life events making it seems much more special as a match than it was.

Thought the show was too long. The Nyla Rose squash (really ?) and the Eddie match were waste of time (not to mention the fact Eddie is having a "proving ground" match for a title he DOESN'T OWN ANYMORE, so dumb). And ROH doesn't feel like a different kind of show at all. It's just an AEW show that is neither on TV nor on Youtube with a different logo, in half-empty looking AEW-booked venues. I just didn't feel this show, despite the really good in-ring matches. Then again, maybe I'm just totally burned out.

Not even watched Collision yet. Thunder Rosa is finally back I heard. Good for her. 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:37 AM, MoS said:

She won't be, but I really think Athena should be a strong contender for all the Wrestler of the Year awards. She is brilliant and she has been brilliant throughout this reign. 

Yup. It's hard in a company where Danielson had *that* year, but she's clearly one of the best worker in the company period and she has been awesome at every turn, anchoring this ROH thingy in promos, angles, squashes and epic matches. Of course Billie has been terrific too and Lexy Nair has to be included in why their long-term angle has been my favorite in AEW pro-wrestling this year. Which makes it even more baffling why it had to happen on the ROH shows and not on Dynamite/Collision.