Pro Wrestling Only

AEW TV 12/27 - 12/30 Can Eddie finally slay the Dragon?

Jmare007

29 minutes ago, Blehschmidt said:

If Swerve not winning the tournament leads to Swerve being the one to beat MJF for the title and Eddie Kingston getting a clean win over Moxley to claim all three titles, I will call Mox winning that 3 way a good decision. Otherwise ... Meh.

I think Eddie is going to win the tournament, so that kind of makes it worthwhile.

1 hour ago, sek69 said:

Swerve better win this 3 way otherwise wtf was the point of this whole exercise?

I don't know why people want Swerve downgrading to be the new de facto ROH champ. He shouldn't be winning the CC. He got protected as all hell, is still massively over and is gonna get a nice W over Keith Lee on PPV before going for the main belt, which is the thing he should be doing. 

Eddie vs Dragon and the post-match promo were a little bit masturbatory but still slapped, Statlander vs Skye Blue was fine, everything else was mediocre to bad. They need to end this Devil shit on Saturday before it does any more damage and get the belt off MJF ASAP.

I don’t really see what others see in Swerve, but the dude clearly has the hot hand right now. This tournament being the Eddie Kingston Weeaboo Jamboree instead of Swerve’s Coming Out Party seems like a spectacular misuse of television time, but maybe I’m crazy.

Danielson vs Eddie was dope, specially if you watch it on FITE so you can hear Dragon being an asshole in the first commercial break and them slowly working up the strike exchange until the came back from the break. I lost it at BD screaming "BUM" at every strike he hit in the final sequence :lol:

The final angle was as uninteresting as expected. Even though he's lost all the momentum he had 6 weeks ago, I'd still take Joe getting a cheap win and a short title reign to put Swerve over than MJF defying all odds again with a "separated shoulder".

The fact we still have to wait for this Devil horseshit to be revealed is painful.

I was really hoping that the devil thing would just end up with Samoa Joe being revealed as the one pulling all the strings the whole time, and The Devil would be nothing more than another goon except he got to wear the cool mask. It would have been a dumbass ending, but it would have been an ending, which is what most everyone wants at this point. Whatever the original plan was, it’s beyond ruined already, and Joe has enough credibility to carry off being the diabolical-mastermind-who-orchestrated-an-elaborate/nonsensical-plan as much as anyone possibly could. 

Plus, in my head, I was imagining a scene where MJF pulled off The Devil’s mask middle of the ring, and it’s just some guy, which (in my imagination, at least) would have been genuinely amusing. 

People not getting that the CC was all about building up Eddie Kingston, the All Japan superfan, to win his own Triple Crown by probably using a Kawada move after finally defeating all three members of BCC building up to his best friend Moxley is just mind-blowing to me. Like, really ? Of all the things to potentially complain about ? Swerve has done nothing but gained from going to the finals after that stint of great matches, has been protected on his way out and is already slotted as a potential future world champ contender (and he obviously should win it sooner than later, now that's where the next trigger has to be pulled). Well, of course if Mox wins and Swerve doesn't get the World Title in the first few months of 2024, then I'll take all that back. But as it is, the CC was masterfully booked and wonderfully executed. Great year end arc for AEW.

1 hour ago, Stiva said:

So that team was definitely Taven and Bennett right? 

Yup. I thought for a moment they actually were Bobby Fish and Kyle O'Reilly, but that MJF move they did actually also is a Bennett move I think. Joe at the very least working with the Devil makes sense, as I thought it could have been him himself. Wardlow as a heater is his best role anyway. So yeah, Devil better be Cole & Baker, basically, and the reveal should be at World's End and then move the fuck on. If not, then this is officially Aces & Eights.

10 hours ago, Jmare007 said:

Even though he's lost all the momentum he had 6 weeks ago, I'd still take Joe getting a cheap win and a short title reign to put Swerve over than MJF defying all odds again with a "separated shoulder".

They should absolutely do the world title earlier on, with a downer result of an injured MJF being cheated out of the title, the Devil reveal and all, and end the PPV with Kingston winning the Triple Crown. They did tease MJF vs Swerve, but to me it was more a case of making Swerve part of the world title picture already. MJF probably needs some time to heal, they already got the ROH tag titles off of him and ended that nonsense. Yeah, transitional heel champ Joe to Swerve would be a good way to go, and you can always do Swerve vs MJF (and also Swerve vs Mox, built on the fact Mox beat him during the CC, that's basic G1 booking) later on when he's back, with Swerve as champ. 

Having a baby now equals face turn/face spot in pro-wrestling (well, unless you're Cody). Sammy has now turned as much as the Big Show. Callis' paintings never cease to amaze me.

Hey, here's Stokely. Talk about a guy who has been totally lost in the shuffle since day one. Skye vs Statlander was quite good. I'm all for more angles and shit for the women. Harley Cameron is a treasure, glad she's still gonna be around. This little romance angle is the best thing Saraya & Ruby have done since showing up, really. 

11 hours ago, sek69 said:

They couldn't have made it more obvious this Christian/Copeland angle was taped last week,  with the Von Erich kid with the cowboy hat being front and center.

That's what I thought too.:lol: Well, my first reaction was actually "fuck no, they did not book those Von Erich scrubs again ?", then I saw Bryan Keith and was like, oh ok. The entire angle totally feel like the Copelandverse to me. Totally detached from whatever AEW is. The Codyverse was a lot more fun. Unless Copeland sets himself on fire or something of course. I think I'd rather have Christian Cage vs Jeff Jarrett, really, plus that would get the true original TNA feel.

All in all, World's End really has a true feel of capping off the year. Which is nice. Finally getting stuff like Miro & Andrade & Keith Lee vs Swerve is absolutely part of it too, as we finally gonna get those out of the way and move on. First AEW PPV ever without any member of the Elite too, although that obviously wasn't on purpose.

And yes, Bryan Danielson. With one eye. The run of a lifetime. So lucky to get it.

11 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

The Continental Classic being on the same show as The Devil storyline can give anyone whiplash. 

Maybe that explains why my neck has been hurting for a while now. I'm certainly not neck strong right now.

The CC is showing the way. Keep the lucha-libre, the joshi, the garbage matches, the random people popping up, the absurd gimmicks along the ride and do less and less of the Devil angle and Copelandverse style shit (or twist them in a meta-way to get back some of that early AEW feel if you absolutely have to).

Also, AEW really should have some serious security around their lighting system control, because it seems anyone can switch it off...

6 hours ago, strobogo said:

Britt Baker as the devil would kind of be an interesting twist tbh, especially as she's been seemingly missing for months.

I agree, at least with her I'd be interested to see were they take the angle even though I have no faith in Tony being able to book something compelling.