Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 1/15 - 1/19 - Aussie or not

El-P

Roman Reigns is not even working Australia. That guy is basically Brock Lesnar as the World Champ now. Sorry Aussie WWE Universe, Roman Reigns only gets to be acknowledged by authoritarian regimes and at Mania (for a while) now. Soon they'll have to do Mania in Djeddah or he'll be defending his title only once a year.

He sure *deserves* jackshit. He's the poster boy for privilege, has been since day one. 

At this point I would not even be surprised the Mania main event to be a three way with Dwayne and Cody, and Dwayne eating the pin out of respect for Dusty, while Roman gets protected so he gets to the next Bloodmoney show unstained. By the booking I mean.

I'm not hating on Roman Reigns the performer. I couldn't care less. 

How he's booked and what he's the symptom of, on the other hand, is very interesting. And pretty dirty.

Still, did anyone really thought you'd get Rock vs Roman in Australia ? :lol:

I mean, people were talking about Rock vs Roman for 3 years. What's 2 weeks of speculation compared to that?

Not sure what the plans are - assuming they are doing Rock/Roman at all. Triple Threat with Cody pinning Dwayne? I don't fucking know. Would make more sense than a straight singles match with a guy who was super fucked up in his last match like 12 years ago. 

Roman losing the title without getting pinned would actually be a complete disgrace and a total joke. Even with Cody pinning Dwayne. 

A three-way actually makes it a lesser match, but then again, it makes Cody's profile even bigger by the mere fact he's in there for Rock's last match at the biggest Mania ever. So, why not. Plus, Dwayne needs to beat Trump at the next election (I mean, someone, anyone has to do it, right ?), so he can't do the job here anyway.

You know what match would have been hilarious ? Rock vs CM Punk. Main eventing Mania instead of whomever. First guy's body breaking down first loses.

I get it, but Rock ain't winning that shit (I am actively rooting against that), and giving Cody nothing for another damn year is also very dumb. At least if he pins Rock, there is a built-in reason to do a rematch with Roman. 

You see why I'd rather see them doing that at another stadium show? 

Let’s not forget that one of the main reasons Reigns works a limited schedule is due to his health and medical history. The guy has beaten Leukemia twice. He had to stay home during the pandemic due to his history. He’s always going to run the risk of being immunocompromised. This is not a guy you want to run into the ground with a heavy schedule. It makes perfect use to use him sparingly.

16 minutes ago, KawadaSmile said:

You see why I'd rather see them doing that at another stadium show? 

The Rock's last match ain't happening anywhere but at Mania.

And no, there's no reason for Roman Reigns not to lose clean. Anything else would cheapen whoever wins the title. After that neverending long-ass eternity reign, it would be completely ridiculous.

For booking politics alone, this is quite the fascinating Mania season, really.

15 minutes ago, The Thread Killer said:

Let’s not forget that one of the main reasons Reigns works a limited schedule is due to his health and medical history. The guy has beaten Leukemia twice. He had to stay home during the pandemic due to his history. He’s always going to run the risk of being immunocompromised. This is not a guy you want to run into the ground with a heavy schedule. It makes perfect use to use him sparingly.

Doing the Australia show : one too many that would endangered his health, most probably. Doing the next Saudi show : I'm willing to bet there's no issue at all. B)

I dunno man, it seems pretty in line with his regular schedule. He faced LA Knight yeah two months ago, and his previous match took place in August. He's doing the Rumble, and then will probably only wrestle at WM. 

In 2023 he's wrestled sliiiiiightly more than once every two months, not counting house shows. Even if we count that, it's no more than one match per month. In 2021, it was one (broadcast) match per month, give or take. 

Assuming his 2024 will have a similar pattern to last year's, it is what it is, but it does have precedent.

I think the health concerns are misdirected; Roman can get through a promo without an inhaler.

Avg. life expectancy for a Samoan male = 70.004 years.

Avg. life expectancy for a Samoan condom stuffed with walnuts, jacked beyond fuck, taking every chemical known to Bayer = considerably less than 70.004 years.

I don't know the half-life of steroids, but there's every chance the Rock continues to put on mass in the grave.

I would be really surprised if the dirtsheets don't backtrack on Roman's schedule, like they did last year (initially, it was reported he was not scheduled to work Elimination Chamber and a bunch of other PPVs as well). Hard to imagine Reigns not having a match at the big Perth stadium, leading into Wrestlemania no less. It's not gonna be the Rock (they aren't gonna sacrifice the US market that would result from the Western Australia time difference) but it'll be someone.

I hope they don't bump Cody for the Rock at WM, that sounds extremely unappealing. A triple threat (Reigns. Rock vs. Cody) sounds like a solid compromise and seems like a win-win: You get the Rock in for the eyeballs and cash grab and you put the title on Cody as the big payoff. Moreover, it would be in keeping with the main event trend of WM20 and 30.

Thing is, Rock was always supposed to be the endgame for the Head of the Table stuff. A big part of why Roman ended up with a Hoganesque run with the belt is because the timing kept getting messed up to finally have the match.

7 hours ago, sek69 said:

Thing is, Rock was always supposed to be the endgame for the Head of the Table stuff. A big part of why Roman ended up with a Hoganesque run with the belt is because the timing kept getting messed up to finally have the match.

At this point it's kinda like Taker's streak. It wasn't supposed to be that long, and it's on the verge of overstaying its welcome I guess. I mean, whoever wins the title from him, does he really get that legendary rub for ending such a long-ass title reign, or will it rather end up being a case of "Well, this was time" ? And how do they build the following years after they had such a successful run under such a patterned booking ? Not to mention the two things that turned the company were the Bloodline storyline getting hot thanks to Sami Zayn and Cody jumping from AEW. One of those is done. It's crazy when you think of it how one year ago he was the hottest guy in the business, and what could have been. So, once Cody gets the belt (arguably), how do they go with that ? Their business model has been "push John Cena forever" then "push Roman Reigns forever" for the last, say, 15 years. Then can't do that with Cody, who's the same age as Roman. He is just gonna be a transitional champ toward the next chosen one, whoever that is, or since Vince is out, will Lesveque have a different approach ?

Also, Jade Cargill is debuting at the Rumble, right ? I mean, this was always the easiest way to make her look like a big deal. Then again, does she win (in which case, does she enters late) ? Does she get eliminated by a big star to set-up a big match in the middle of the thing ? 

If I had the book, it's pretty simple, really.

- If you have Cena and The Rock, you put them against Solo and Jimmy at Mania.

- Cody wins the Rumble. Challenges Roman. Beats him at Mania. Like he should've last year. The story here is that Solo and Jimmy, having lost earlier in the night, are too zapped and arguably upset that Roman didn't help them win. They've been "humbled" by the Rock. 

- Punk wins a shot at Seth at Elimination Chamber. 

- Then, you build towards SummerSlam, which is, according to rumor, happening in Cleveland. They don't need Roman/Rock to sell out the Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse (capacity 20,000), but if they elect to try to run Browns Stadium (capacity closer to 60,000), that is the match you want there. 

- To be honest, I think they have a number of good challengers lined up for Cody. The past two weeks, Drew McIntyre has been absolutely killing it on the mic. The losses to Seth and Roman really hurt him over the past 12 months, but this new character is working for me and Drew/Cody is fresh. You also have Punk/Cody. And then there's potentially GUNTHER/Cody. Oh, and Orton/Cody. And eventually a Roman/Cody rematch. And I think you could have Cody lose the title to just about any one of those guys, win it back a month later, and not devalue the Championship. 

- PLUS...if Roman really is going to become even more of a part-timer, making Cody the face of SmackDown makes 100% sense when they jump to USA in the fall. 

Short term, for sure. They have an easy plate. I was more thinking about long-term, after the Roman Reigns reign is over, like the next 10 years of so.

BTW I just realized why bubba @KawadaSmile doesn't want Roman to lose the title anytime soon. It's because obviously, the day he does, it's probably the beginning of the end for him in term of being the face of the company. I'm guessing he got some Hollywood envy, which is why the Rock match is also meaningful. So yeah, I feel ya bubba. Enjoy every bit of it while it lasts !