Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV - 1/15 - 1/19 - Aussie or not

El-P

It's not even that. It's just me being a bit cheeky about it - Roman breaking all the records would be fun for banter, but I do wish he were more active like in 2022 and 2022, which are still amazing years for his title reign. Even the first half of 2023 was dope and that tag match against the Usos was incredible.

I would have had him lose to Cody last year. It didn't really deflate Codester (Brock sure as fuck helped him too) but the iron was hot. 

I don't think he goes Hollywood like Cena and Rock, and he strikes me as someone who enjoys sports more than that.

But hey, it's my favorite wrestler. I ain't complaining if he keeps on winning!

21 hours ago, El-P said:

(...)

And no, there's no reason for Roman Reigns not to lose clean. Anything else would cheapen whoever wins the title. After that neverending long-ass eternity reign, it would be completely ridiculous.

(...)

It would be very old-school WW(W)F though, Graham beat Sammartino with his feet on the ropes, Backlund did not quit himself but had to had Skaaland throw in the towel and Hogan lost it to André due to twin magic. Koloff beating Sammartino was clean as a whistle though, there is no footage of Stasiak vs. Morales, but from I can read on Wrestleclassics, it was the George Scott special (double pin with Stasiak raising his shoulder at 2.5).

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

It would be very old-school WW(W)F though, Graham beat Sammartino with his feet on the ropes, Backlund did not quit himself but had to had Skaaland throw in the towel and Hogan lost it to André due to twin magic. Koloff beating Sammartino was clean as a whistle though, there is no footage of Stasiak vs. Morales, but from I can read on Wrestleclassics, it was the George Scott special (double pin with Stasiak raising his shoulder at 2.5).

Those guys were all heels, and all except Graham were transitional champions. Well, Superstar was kind of a transitional champion in that the date of the title switch to Backlund was set in stone from the beginning. The point is that they didn't need to look strong in victory because they were never intended to carry the ball long-term. The main examples of babyfaces ending long heel reigns that jump out to me are Backlund and John Cena. In the former case, there was some chicanery as Graham's foot was on the ropes for the pin. However, that was considered poetic justice with the way he won the title in the first place and also set the table for rematches. In the latter case, Cena won the title from JBL at WM21 in a short forgettable match. It was the rematch at Judgment Day, a classic I Quit match, that really legitimized him as a top guy. I guess the main takeaway is that the title change itself is less important than the babyface winning decisively later on down the road. As far as Cody being too old to be the heir apparent, with all due respect, that's a bunch of malarkey. Advances in exercise science and wrestlers taking better care of themselves outside the ring mean they can remain viable main eventers well past the age of 40. Also, TV age is more important than chronological age. There are plenty of fans who don't seriously follow non-WWE wrestling, so Cody's return a couple of years ago may as well have been the arrival of a new superstar.

Bruno beats Buddy by iffy submission.

Koloff clean over Bruno.

Morales Scott Special over Koloff.

Stasiak Scott Special over Morales (unannounced at the arena).

Bruno over Stasiak - three bodyslams.

And the rest have been mentioned.

4 hours ago, Dav'oh said:

Bruno beats Buddy by iffy submission.

Depending on who you believe, that was done either due to Buddy's heart ailment or Bruno giving him the "we can do this the easy way or the hard way" speech.

Also never realized how much Vince Sr liked the Scott Special finish.

Thinking about a potential injury for Seth, obviously it sucks for him if it's serious but it sucks booking wise since his whole deal was being the workhorse champ who keeps on going even while his body falls apart around him. Having it end due to an injury quite the wet fart of an ending to his story.

12 hours ago, NintendoLogic said:

As far as Cody being too old to be the heir apparent, with all due respect, that's a bunch of malarkey. Advances in exercise science and wrestlers taking better care of themselves outside the ring mean they can remain viable main eventers well past the age of 40. Also, TV age is more important than chronological age. There are plenty of fans who don't seriously follow non-WWE wrestling, so Cody's return a couple of years ago may as well have been the arrival of a new superstar.

That all well and good, but this is a company that declared John Cena old when he was 40. Cody also was in WWE for ten years before he came back. And no, I don't believe anyone watching WWE today thought Cody was "a new superstar" coming in out of nowhere. He either was Cody from the old days, or Cody Rhodes from AEW, and mostly the later, hence why he got so over. Of course TV age is more important, and hell maybe they'll make him the new face of the company for the next 5 years or so, who knows. Wait, didn't Cody said he was retiring at 40 or something a few years back ? B)

5 hours ago, sek69 said:

Thinking about a potential injury for Seth, obviously it sucks for him if it's serious but it sucks booking wise since his whole deal was being the workhorse champ who keeps on going even while his body falls apart around him. Having it end due to an injury quite the wet fart of an ending to his story.

And he's been feuding the CM Punk. Oh, the irony.

Aldis outfits have always been the best thing about his entire act. I can't get over the fact that even WWE found he was so dull in the ring that they'd rather make him an authority figure.

BTW, and before this aptly thread ends, I gotta say that Paris 2024 ain't about Roman Reigns either. I am guessing Berlin can fuck off too, since it comes just after SummerSlam. 

18 hours ago, ...TG said:

Paul is right, Aldis or Mickie or whoever is choosing his clothes is doing a great job. (It's bizarre it's taken him this long to get a gig with WWE or AEW.)

His whole deal as NWA champ was "poor man's Ric Flair" and he at least got the wardrobe part right.