Pro Wrestling Only

Could Dusty Make It Today?

Kronos

Last night, I was watching Dusty v Flair, from I think Starrcade 84. Dusty was a fantastic talker, and he had a lot of charisma in the ring. Crowds loved him, especially when he would do his dances. But it cannot be denied that he had a less-than-optimum physique, and the look is so important these days for getting over.

I wonder if a young Dusty Rhodes, given his look alone, would make it as a main eventer today? Would Vince even give him a look?

The closest example I can think up would be Foley, I suppose. But he had to do some insane things to really make it big, from FMW Deathmatches to the HINC.

Anyway, a little latenight idle speculation. . .

I imagine his career would have turned out quite a bit differently, if only because it would have been much harder for him to gain political power, but when you were as charismatic as he was, I'm still inclined to think he would've made it to some degree.

I haven't seen any of Dusty's earlier stuff, what was he like pre-80s? Because by the time he won the world title, no, Vince would never hire a guy that fat and push him as any kind of serious threat. Well, then again, Rikishi... but I'd still think that his weight would be a major obstacle which his career probably couldn't overcome today. Plus, for this hypothetical exercise, are you saying that he'd still wrestle exactly the same? Dusty didn't exactly conform to the rope-running expectations of WWE Style.

He would have just needed to wear a shirt, a la Bubba Ray Dudley, who has had a good career without being nearly as charismatic as Dusty.

Yes, though Bubba/Brother/Buh-Buh Ray has never been the superstar that Dusty was in his time.

Point taken, but Bubba was also willing to fall off ladders and go through flaming tables. The Dream didn't mind bleeding, but he never did the sort of big bumping which today's era demands. Of course, he might've been willing to if he'd come along thirty years later and knew that he'd need to do more than talk jive and throw elbows to earn him a spot. So it comes down to, would he have beeb willing to do what it takes today? That's a hypothetical question with no answer. But if you stuck 1981 Dusty in a time machine and dumped him on Vince's doorstep today without Dusty changing anything about how he worked or looked, I doubt he'd even get a first chance, much less any others.

That's the irony I was thinking about the other night when they debuted Ted Dibiase Jr. He sure as hell doesn't have the kind of physique his father had when he debuted. If he did have the Million Dollar Man 1987 body, no way he'd have been signed. The WWE obsession with shiny steroid muscle has gotten to the point where they value that over all other factors, except maybe height.

He was much faster in the '70s and was a good bumper (moreso as a heel feeding babyface comebacks). In the little bit of Texas Outlaws footage that exists, he keeps up with Murdoch (a top-flight worker both physicall and intangibly) just fine, not being carried at all. Does anyone (Khawk?) have a list of all of the Bob Luce footage of the Outlaws? I figure that there might be enough footage between the Luce films, their Detroit title win that I have film footage of (12-13 minutes on a VHS that Brian Last got from Bill Watts along with all of those reels), the AWA TV tag vs Robinson/Muraco from the Dusty WWE DVD, their Watts Film footage (16mm films from Watts that Brian converted), and their '87 feud/reunion, there might be enough for a sampler disc. I also might be forgetting some stuff...is there any footage of them teaming in AJPW or NJPW?

There is an Outlaws vs. Rusher/Toguchi from 12/81 that aired on NJPW Classics, yes. And a match against Toguchi & Killer Khan from March of '82. There's also film clips from '73 of the Outlaws against Rusher & The Great Kusatsu--that's on the first IWE box set.

Agree with everyone who says he would have taken better care of his shape. Being born in 1975 rather than 1945, he probably would have been taller and more athletic as well. He was a great talker in the 70s: A+ material, and I don't know of anyone other than probably Lawler who was at that level. Don't see why he wouldn't have been an even better talker having come up now, other than being stiffled by Creative. Charismatic as all shit. Agree with Bix - he looked like a good heel worker. I suspect that the weight and early bumping did a number on his body, hence the later lack of bumping once he was a babyface icon writing his own ticket.

My guess is that he would have been a bigger star than Foley, and probably up their with Rock and Austin. He just had "it", and probably even more desire (ego) to be a star than any of those three. And it's not like those three didn't have a ton of desire.

I became a wrestling fan hating Dusty in Crocketville. I still can't stand watching his matches from that era as they bring back bad memories. :) But when you watch him on the mic in the 70s, and see some of his heel stuff from the early 70's, you have to admit that he has the mojo.

John

John, have you seen his available matches from AJPW in '75? I think there are singles matches vs Race and Matsuda on the G+ shows. I've always wanted to see them but never bothered to pick up the DVDs for whatever reason.

I suspect you'd like the Detroit match, which is a helluva find. It's silent film but Dusty and Murdoch are so animated and awesome that it doesn't hurt at all, plus the lack of heavy clipping helps. I'll upload a rip of iit in the multimedia folder if you'd like, just let me know what format is preferable to you.

I've seen both the matches from the 1975 Open League. Bob has them on Frank's comp of the Open League:

http://www.bobbarnett.com/catalog/product_...products_id=588

Nothing that would surprise you.

From the same series, this is the true Holy Grail:

11/27/75 NWA Int'l Tag: Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Dick Murdoch & Dusty Rhodes (13:27, 8:00, 4:50)

John

Hmm, I think I might have just about everything I'd need aside from the IWE clips.

I can help you out with those. If you get serious about making this I can research all my Luce stuff and see how much of their material is available.

What is the Detroit footage of them you mentioned? New? Who are they against?

I don't remember seeing that before.

Detroit is their title win over Ben Justice & The Stomper. Checked it lasted night and it runs about 14:30. Don't know if I've traded it to anyone yet. Wasn't available until Brian loaned it to me to convert as far as I know.