Pro Wrestling Only

Best of SNME DVD

Bob Morris

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/919...DVD-Listing.htm

This was an absolutely tremendous lineup of the best matches from SNME, along with some of the great moments and the funnier sketches they did. The nice part about it is going to a three-disc edition so as much of the early yeras can be featured as possible.

It will be nice to have DVD-quality versions of Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart, Jake Roberts vs. Ricky Steamboat, the two Hogan steel cage matches with Paul Orndorff and Big Bossman, Rockers vs. Brain Busters and the match where Shawn Michaels won his first IC title.

And most of all, the Rick Martel Arrogance spots, which may have been the most awesome sketches on SNME ever.

It will be nice to have DVD-quality versions of Randy Savage vs. Bret Hart,

That's very good.

Jake Roberts vs. Ricky Steamboat,

I don't recall that being any good. The Jake vs Savage the following SNME is much better.

the two Hogan steel cage matches with Paul Orndorff and Big Bossman,

I thought the Hogan-Orndorff was surprisingly watchable. The Bossman match is very good.

Rockers vs. Brain Busters

This is not the Rockers-Busters match you want. This is the quicky 5 minute or so match that blew off the Busters. It's a Nitro-style match, and not a good one. Their good SNME match was earlier in the year. It also was Nitro-style of spotfu, but at least had 9+ minutes to build through and was nicely heated. They had a decent house show run, though never the Home Run match that the could have had if they worked in Crockettville.

and the match where Shawn Michaels won his first IC title.

I'm trying to remember if that was any good. I seem to recall Davey being pissed about losing and not wanting to do a hell of a lot, while Shawn "put on a show".

John

Guest LShunter

Unless they show it in clipped form (as a preface to the belt-smashing angle with Perfect), the omission of Hulk Hogan vs The Genius with the "Hulk down" formula makes me sad. Genius won via count out too, didn't he?

Unless they show it in clipped form (as a preface to the belt-smashing angle with Perfect), the omission of Hulk Hogan vs The Genius with the "Hulk down" formula makes me sad. Genius won via count out too, didn't he?

They do have the fucking awesome Hogan/Warrior v. Genius/Hennig match on here though. For freakishly, ridiculous bump schhtick Hennig bouts this is the best.

Also I disagree with John, on that Rockers v. Busters match. It's one of a very small number of two/three falls WWE/F matches that I like at all and I think for such a short sprint it is well worked. One of the better WWF tag matches I can recall from that period.

I'm digging the looks of this set. I don't think any of the listed matches are clipped, as aside from maybe one, none go 15 minutes or more. Also, I'm quite sure that Hogan-Genius is clipped to set up the smashing of the title belt. Personally, I would've liked to have seen all in full, including Hogan's interview after said smashing. I was a big mark for that show and those angles, even though I know now that the feud drew no money.

Like Dylan, I have fond memories of the Rockers-Busters tag match. As a fan, I remember seeing the Heenan-Busters interview (they were all disgruntled) and the match (where Heenan walked out at one point) and thinking, "Wow, how the mighty have fallen." Has a real "job someone out on their way out of a territory" feel, but it feels like a real 180 compared to how the Busters were booked for the past year in the Federation.

I could do without a few things on the set (e.g. Okerlund and Hayes on safari, Sapphire's debut) and replaced it with other things (say, a Demolition match), but overall I look forward to this set.

My only real complaint is them wasting disc space with the stuff from the 2006 relaunch. Other than that, yeah, this looks like a damn fine compilation right here. There's a few little odds and ends I wish they would've included, but then you'd have to throw something else out, and the vast majority of the stuff listed does indeed deserve to be here.

Also I disagree with John, on that Rockers v. Busters match. It's one of a very small number of two/three falls WWE/F matches that I like at all and I think for such a short sprint it is well worked. One of the better WWF tag matches I can recall from that period.

I think you're confusing this match:

10/31/89 Rockers vs. Brainbusters (1:50, 1:00, 3:43)

With this match:

02/16/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (8:09 aired of ?)

Those are their two SNME matches. The first one is also a Nitro-style sprint. It's actually pretty good for a WWF Golden Tag Era match, just on the short side.

The second is just an embarassment while the Busters are being jobbed out of the company. Honestly, I can't imagine someone watching both and thinking the 2/3 is any good after seeing them work the first SNME match.

My run through the Rockers vs. Busters matches that I have which are not on the DVDVR Set starts here:

Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty

And has these matches:

01/23/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (16:19)

Taped: Madison Square Garden, New York

Aired: 01/23/89 MSG Network

01/29/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (18:21)

Taped: Los Angeles Sports Arena

Aired: 01/29/89 Z Channel

02/16/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (8:09 aired of ?)

Taped: Hersheypark Arena, Hershey, PA

Aired: 03/11/89 Saturday Night's Main Event

03/08/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (10:42 of ? aired)

Taped: County Coliseum, Odessa

Aired: 03/27/89 Prime Time Wrestling

03/18/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (13:53)

Taped: Madison Square Garden, New York

Aired: 03/18/89 MSG Network

03/18/89 Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard vs. Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty (22:28)

Taped: Boston Garden

Aired: 03/18/89 NESN

Really... the 2/3 is far and away the worst of the bunch.

John

Is the difference in perceived quality between these two Rockers/Brain Busters matches REALLY worth discussion? I mean, it's a WWE compilation DVD, who cares? If anything, the two out of three falls match is probably slightly more memorable since it continued the "dissension in the Heenan Family" storyline that concluded at Wrestlemania when Andre turned babyface. But...I can't imagine that this first SNME match between the Rockers and the Brain Busters is so much better that it makes any sort of difference on the DVD on the whole. Nobody is going to say "Well shit, this DVD doesn't include the right Rockers/Brain Busters match, fuck this DVD." It's just a way to fill 7-10 minutes on a DVD set.

I might care if I didn't already have an old tape with no less than 5 Rockers-Brainbusters matches, recorded off the old MSG network and similar syndicated shows. But yeah, sometimes the WWE does make dumb little mistakes like that. For example, how many times has that damn Hollywood Blondes vs Steamboat/"Douglas" cage match shown up on WWE dvds? At least twice, which is a lot considering they don't ever repeat most of this stuff, while lots of the Blondes' far superior stuff remains locked in the vault.

My only real complaint is them wasting disc space with the stuff from the 2006 relaunch. Other than that, yeah, this looks like a damn fine compilation right here. There's a few little odds and ends I wish they would've included, but then you'd have to throw something else out, and the vast majority of the stuff listed does indeed deserve to be here.

It's the WWE, so you know they'll throw in 2006 stuff. Agreed, though, as I don't recall a lot of good stuff from the SNME's since the return. I did like the RKO on Hogan angle, though, and I'm curious as to how good the Cena (sorry Jingus!) vs. Edge match is, as I've never seen that particular one.

Also, don't know if anyone's seen the box but, interestingly enough, Randy Savage is on the front:

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/products/The...VD-3-Discs.html

Is the difference in perceived quality between these two Rockers/Brain Busters matches REALLY worth discussion?

Sure. You don't see anyone taking the time to discuss the quality of the Hogan-Bossman or Savage-Hart or Savage-Roberts matches on the set. It was kind of a dead thread before Dylan and I started bitching about Rockers-Busters.

John

I might care if I didn't already have an old tape with no less than 5 Rockers-Brainbusters matches, recorded off the old MSG network and similar syndicated shows. But yeah, sometimes the WWE does make dumb little mistakes like that. For example, how many times has that damn Hollywood Blondes vs Steamboat/"Douglas" cage match shown up on WWE dvds? At least twice, which is a lot considering they don't ever repeat most of this stuff, while lots of the Blondes' far superior stuff remains locked in the vault.

Not as many times as Austin vs. Hart or HBK vs. Mankind (remember when Mick said that was the best match NO ONE remembered?) has!!!

But yes, I'd like more Blondes, more WCW Austin, stat. Is Austin just still bitter over his time there and doesn't want his stuff from WCW seen? Or...I wonder if it's because of the issues with WCW materials with Jesse commentary (and he was there for most if not all the Blondes' existence), as for some reason it seems to be a bigger issue than that from the WWF. I think the Blondes vs. Arn/Flair is on something though.

As for this set, it looks like one of the first WWE sets in a while that I am really enthusiastic about IN GENERAL, foibles and all. Some notes (and MORE theories):

- Did Steph admit that the baby wasn't Savage's? Cause he gets some good match time here. PLUS!

- No Demolition = due to Bill Eadie + burnt bridge?

/I have a theory about the title change not being there, though, as they have the Harts vs. Bulldogs 2/3 where the title DIDN'T change hands cause Bulldogs won one fall by DQ. Which happened with the Busters too, except they did get the titles.

- re: Busters vs. Rockers 2/3...well it has never been released on VHS or DVD, and it has the angle. Other than that, I don't know why?

/Maybe another Horsemen or HBK (like he needs another) set? A tag set?

// The cynic/conspiracy theorist in me was, however, tempting me with thoughts that they picked one where Tully and AA didn't look good as punishment for the Flair leaving the company thing.

///I know, probably not.

- The skits I accept cause that was part of the SNME element. Oddly, I just saw the one with the safari a few weeks back.

- Even 2005+ stuff I accept, hey, it's what the younger audience will buy and if it gets them to see the older matches too, then even better. I just won't watch it. (Small sidenote: I was afraid of it causing That Bitching all over again due to them not using some obscure Benoit match from the new SNME's, but so far, not so much, thank goodness. Some of us are over it already, thank you very much...but that's not here nor there)

Obviously they couldn't include EVERYTHING but this is a pretty good overview either way you slice it. Hope it is all it can be indeed.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, judging from this DVD set, it looks like WWE and Randy Savage are on good terms again.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this DVD set. The only real flaw of the set is the fact there are some 2006 matches on it and I definitely won't be watching those matches. But other than that, it should be just about as good as a WWE DVD set can get.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished watching this last night. Some thoughts:

- Savage is well-represented on this set. I think maybe only Hogan is shown more. Jake Roberts also puts him over as having his best match of his career with Savage. They also put over his title run in 1988. I'm more optimistic now that the Savage 3-disc set may indeed happen. Hope I'm not jinxing anything here. :)

- I find myself agreeing an awful lot with John on the matches he mentioned earlier. Especially the inclusion of the Rockers-Brain Busters match. I'm thinking it was included to show a tag match on SNME that Shawn Michaels won. But it's nothing compared to their other matches from the year.

- The 2006 stuff REALLY pales in comparison to the original SNME stuff. Just screams of "let's show our current biggest stars on recent SNME stuff". Between a McMahon match, a comedy handicap match and possibly the worst Cena-Edge match, it feels forced for an inclusion on the set.

- Finally, if John is still doing his 80s stuff at tOA, he should throw the eye at Savage-Honky and Hogan-Bundy. I thought the former is the closest thing I've seen of Honky's resembling a "good match" and Hogan-Bundy is much, much better than their WM2 cage match. (I have no idea if John will think the same way, but it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts.)

I finished watching this last night. Some thoughts:

- Savage is well-represented on this set. I think maybe only Hogan is shown more. Jake Roberts also puts him over as having his best match of his career with Savage. They also put over his title run in 1988. I'm more optimistic now that the Savage 3-disc set may indeed happen. Hope I'm not jinxing anything here. :)

- I find myself agreeing an awful lot with John on the matches he mentioned earlier. Especially the inclusion of the Rockers-Brain Busters match. I'm thinking it was included to show a tag match on SNME that Shawn Michaels won. But it's nothing compared to their other matches from the year.

- The 2006 stuff REALLY pales in comparison to the original SNME stuff. Just screams of "let's show our current biggest stars on recent SNME stuff". Between a McMahon match, a comedy handicap match and possibly the worst Cena-Edge match, it feels forced for an inclusion on the set.

- Finally, if John is still doing his 80s stuff at tOA, he should throw the eye at Savage-Honky and Hogan-Bundy. I thought the former is the closest thing I've seen of Honky's resembling a "good match" and Hogan-Bundy is much, much better than their WM2 cage match. (I have no idea if John will think the same way, but it'll be interesting to hear his thoughts.)

So...complete matches?

About your notes...I heard mention of a tag team set (when the '90s Stars one was first announced), maybe Rockers/Busters I will be there?

See my earlier post, re: my opinion about the 2006 stuff.