Pro Wrestling Only

Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

I'm late replying to this, because I didn't see it before, but that's frankly a ridiculous statement. I've worked as a journalist for 12 years and and have been a high-volume consumer of sports writing for longer than that. And I never see the kind of shoddy writing that appears weekly in the WON in professionally edited publications. I have great respect for Dave's work ethic, contextual knowledge and overall source base. But he needs a real editor to help him clarify individual sentences and to organize his thinking. Just read his Yahoo work to see how much of a difference decent editing makes. The WON audience has never forced him to adopt higher standards in the newsletter, so it's understandable that he hasn't made the investment. But come on, ESPN.com, for all its flaws, would be ashamed to publish the kind of copy that appears regularly in the WON.

Personally, I find it frustrating to read his work, especially the big historical pieces, because he comes up with great raw material that would really pop if it was presented more professionally. But like many of his subscribers, I read anyway, because no one else comes close to presenting a similar volume of interesting reportage on wrestling.

As another pro writer myself, I could not agree more with this post. Even a mediocre editor who looks at style rather than content would rip most of Dave's stuff to shreds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a while since this was done but today there was a headline

"World champion tests positive for steroids"

Here is the story

The California State Athletic Commission sent out a press release stating that Strikeforce bantamweight champion Cristiane Justino Santos, better known as Cris Cyborg, was suspended by the commission due to failing a test for Stanazolol, an anabolic steroid also known as Winstrol.

According to the release, the test was taken on 12/16, which would have been the day before her championship title defense against Hiroko Yamanaka, which she won in 16 seconds.

Because of the test failure, Santos' victory has been overturned and the result of the match is a no contest.

Generally speaking, California steroid suspensions have been for one year duration, although the release by the commission did not state that specifically.

Yeah Cris Cyborg wow

They didnt do this for the full year but F4W started doing staff predictions on bigger MMA shows in 2011:

--Final 2011 standings based on predictions Josh Nason has recorded

Todd Martin 71%

Dave Meltzer 70%

Mike Sempervive 68%

Mike Sawyer 68%

Josh Nason 68%

Oliver Copp 54%

Bryan Alvarez 53%

Poor Bryan!

It's been a while since this was done but today there was a headline

"World champion tests positive for steroids"

Heh, yeah

I was more annoyed by him posting "ROH star on WWE tour" and it turning out to be Claudio who's been with the WWE for months now.

Dave:

"ERICK SILVA VS. CARLO PRATER, WELTERWEIGHTS

First round: Silva landed a knee and threw about a dozen punches on the ground and it’s over in seconds. Prater’s right shoulder went out as well. Knee to the body. It was exactly 12 hard punches on the ground and ref Mario Yamasaki stopped it. This guy is for real. :There is some talk about illegal punches in the background. We may have a Dusty finish here. Mario Yamasaki called it a either a no contest or a DQ for illegal punches to the back of the head. :29 They called Prater the winner via DQ. How is this when we have this happen in three finishes on every show. They were all legal except one inadvertent shot. Even if it’s accidental, that would be a no contest unless it’s deliberate. No way this should be a DQ. Mario Tirantes Yamasaki said he has to decide right there and then. People are not rioting. I’ve seen tons more heat at wrestling matches when they do these kind of finishes."

One wishes he covered MMA like this over on Yahoo.

John

Meltz talking about WWE not wanting Punk to be at Saturday's UFC with Chael Sonnen is great because he said that if there wasn't so much coverage about it then the WWE wouldn't have even known it was going to happen.

Gee I wonder who has been talking about it almost every day on their website and the last couple of weeks in their newsletter.

Someone didnt proof read the Smackdown spoilers:

Smackdown spoilers from Las Vegas

pound girlfriend maliciously, was faking tears and faking being sorry. He said how A.J. did that for him because she loved him and that Show should do the right thing and quit the business for what he did. Bryan had a strong heel reaction for this.

:blink: