Jump to content
Pro Wrestling Only

khawk20

DVDVR 80s Project
  • Posts

    2584
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by khawk20

  1. There is something to be said for a 4 minute match that feels like it went 20 or 25 minutes. If it feels long and torturous but isn't actually long, that says something.
  2. Biggest concern is whether or not there is a chance that stuff is lost in the move. That would seriously impact this board and a lot of information could be lost. I'm averse to change as well and I find this board configuration works excellent for me.
  3. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  4. khawk20

    Current WWE

    YOU KIDS SHOULD HAVE THAT TV OFF WHEN YOU'RE DOING YOUR HOMEWORK!!! IF I TRIED THAT WHEN I WAS A KID I'DA GOT A GOOD WHIPPIN'!!! signed, Old Man Shaking His Fist From His Front Porch
  5. Does anyone have a review of the Backlund-John Studd match from January of 1983 at MSG kicking around? They built Studd up at that point to be a real monster, to the point where Monsoon was talking like it was almost certain that the match would mark the end of Bob's title reign, literally right before the match begins. While Monsoon might have done that at other times, this specific instance (I can't remember who was at the mic with him, maybe Patterson) seemed to paint a picture of the demise of Bob in a really definitive colour. It seems to me that a match described like that should have been one that saw Backlund sell like a madman for Studd. All I remember right now is that it's relatively short and Backlund "got lucky" and won. No MSG rematch so it was a one-and-done for whatever reason. IF Bob sold to the level that Monsoon et al seemed to expect him to sell, then it gives a reference point for a Bob match that Parv might have expected Bob to wrestle more often than he did. IF Bob turned in a performance that sold less than the build for it, that lends creedence to Parv's argument about Bob in the role as Champ. I think it's worth a look if someone can find it, for the purposes of this debate.
  6. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  7. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  8. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  9. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  10. Were you lucky enough to see these guys when they were in their prime as a tag team? It was a little before my time and I didn't feel I had seen enough to rate one over the other in the context of their team. I didn't think there was enough footage to fall back on with them either. If you actually saw them wrestle more in their prime, maybe you can provide some insight into Ray Stevens the wrestler for us. He's a constant source of debate since there isn't much of him out there to see footage-wise.
  11. Vachon more than Gagne Adonis more than Ventura Brunzell more than Gagne Blackwell more than Patera Hawk more than Animal Garvin more than Regal Hennig more than Hall Rose more than Somers Jannetty more than Michaels Tanaka more than Diamond (really, a toss-up) Enos more than Bloom Ustinov/Zurkov and Raschke/Crusher: dead heat
  12. khawk20

    Current WWE

    After Undertaker, does anyone have a winning streak longer than 1 or 2 of at WrestleMania that is currently active in the WWE?
  13. -get done more AWA Year in Review sets (1980, 81, and 83 specifically. I'll be lucky to get one of them done) -Do more AWA wrestler comps (finish Verne's, do a Gagne-Brunzell one, maybe a chronological Nick one...there are others but getting one done properly is likely all I'll manage) -find more AWA stuff. Some good stuff turned up this year, no reason to think more won't turn up in 2014.
  14. There's one Dory Sr match, you can find it on Youtube. Stylistically, I think Dory Sr wrestled more like Terry than Junior, which I wasn't expecting. Since WWE has the Texas Wrestling footage from Ed McLemore, I wonder if they're sitting on more footage. I would imagine they are, and will probably role out sporadic matches from it depending on when an old-timey wrestler goes into the HOF, or they do some sort of Texas wrestling retrospective, or a segment on specialty matches, stuff like that.
  15. Maybe I misunderstood the question. Are we looking for exceptions to the rule of why they go to the cage match? As noted in the answers, most areas have at least one exception.
  16. Guerreros are a good pick, IMO. They deserve to be in the conversation.
  17. To win a WWF cage match you had to escape, so it did feature leaving the cage. Snuka actually had to go outside the cage after he lost to get Muraco back in for the splash. If you DQ the WWF model, I believe you're correct about the idea of the cage match and why a feud would turn to it to resolve things.
  18. I got Ringmasters: The Great American Bash for Christmas the year it came out. My folks bought it through one of the magazines and got it shipped to Canada...must've cost eleventy billion dollars. Remember, it was a vhs tape. I still have it. My grandfather picked me up the first two series of the Superstar Pro Wrestling Game that came out back in th early-mid 80's. He ordered it when it was in Florida. Very cool game...I still have that one, too.
  19. I'd offer that Brunzell didn't fly the coop right away as he was around until April-ish of 1985, and that the Fabs were brought in with a lot of pomp and circumstance but really didn't begin main event programs right away, it took a several months to get things going on near the top of the card in the main markets. The rest is the same-old same-old AWA died stuff, which all seems fine.
  20. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
  21. I was always curious - are these shows the first time we're seeing this footage or is this something you probably have some place already? Bits and pieces (the odd match or two) have been out there for some time--1981 isn't a complete black hole for footage (unlike 1983, which had massive gaps in it until very recently), but not whole shows. The arena matches that have popped up recently have not been out there previously (Patera vs. Robinson, Laurent Soucie vs. Evan Johnson, Tito Santana vs. Sgt. Jacques Goulet). Same with the odd interview segments that pop up. How's Patera vs Robinson? We get a good chunk of the match (missing maybe the first 5 minutes), but there isn't anything really special about it. I'll have to rewatch it to give a more detailed review but on first watch I felt it was just sort of "there" as a match. Tito vs. Goulet was fun.
  22. I was always curious - are these shows the first time we're seeing this footage or is this something you probably have some place already? Bits and pieces (the odd match or two) have been out there for some time--1981 isn't a complete black hole for footage (unlike 1983, which had massive gaps in it until very recently), but not whole shows. The arena matches that have popped up recently have not been out there previously (Patera vs. Robinson, Laurent Soucie vs. Evan Johnson, Tito Santana vs. Sgt. Jacques Goulet). Same with the odd interview segments that pop up.
  23. I think guys like Angle (but moreso a guy like Ray Stevens) sort of fall into a category all their own when it comes to how their peers remember and rate them. There may just be something about them in the ring that you have to experience for yourself in the context of being a pro wrestler to "get". Just a thought. Sometimes "You weren't there, you wouldn't understand" makes sense depending on how you look at it. How these guys are rated by their peers, Stevens especially, might be the best examples of it where it shouldn't be taken in a condescending manner (like 99% of the similar references we've all encountered reading and interacting with old-time workers), it's just correct.
  24. If Bruno isn't B.S.ing, that's impressive.
  25. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a password protected forum. Enter Password
×
×
  • Create New...