Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-06-USWA-TV] Tommy Rich & Doug Gilbert vs PG-13 feud recap

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Terrific video package narrated by Lance Russell and Dave Brown. Various clips of great brawling involving the Rock & Rolls and Tracy Smothers & Jesse James Armstrong in some cases, but mostly PG-13 and Doug Gilbert & Tommy Rich. Some clips are from Mid South Coliseum, and some are from the Memphis studio. Ether, handcuffs, old ladies, head shaving, piledrivers through tables ... you name it. Cool stuff to see in the context of 1996. It's all capped off by a Rich/Gilbert promo interrupted by Tracy Smothers and Jesse James Armstrong, followed by PG-13 interrupting, and you can guess what happens from here.

The PG-13 10 second promo in front of a green screen while JC Ice wears an American flag tophat is awesome!

• 1 month later...

What Loss said. This segment kicks all kinds of ass, esp the top hat interview.

The series of interviews ending in the brawl is some of the white trashiest stuff I've seen in awhile (at least since I last saw a Terry Gordy World Class interview), and I loved it. Not sure if Doug Gilbert has ever seen the inside of a grammar classroom. My favorite has got to be the exchange about who punched whom and why. "You just wasn't big enough to hold your guy, so I blame you!"

Rasslin is fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Somebody needs to put together a definitive Tommy Rich comp, as everything that guy does is solid gold. Wolfie D is such a great babyface interview too, even though he looks like the kind of dude who hung around the parking lot at my high school, blasting Tupac on the 12s in the hatchback of his Honda Prelude and trying to fuck girls with curled bangs and Addidas jackets.

• 1 month later...

Lance Russell back in USWA. Jesse James Armstrong. Isn’t he in WWF at this point. Various clips from matches involving PG-13 and Rich/Gilbert. Randy Hales does a poor job of trying to break things up. Great stuff with PG-13 using the baseball bat. Dundee getting his head shaved. Great segment. I wish I had the courage to wear a top hat.

• 1 year later...

Damn good recap here of four teams that may have past their prime talent for the most part but can be interesting. Something seems weird about seeing Lance and Dave in the booth this late.

Rich and Gilbert give a good promo with some strong words for PG-13.

Armstrong and Smothers interrupt that and say they are being disrespected. USWA seems to be able to clean up on the SMW scraps.

• 3 weeks later...

First we get MSC clips of PG-13 beating the Rock 'n Roll Express in a Texas Death Match. Jesse James Armstrong & Tracy Smothers, wearing matching pants, help put a beatdown on afterward. Tommy Rich & Doug Gilbert save, but tempers flare as Rich accidentally punches JC Ice in the process.

Back to the studio, where a tag tournament is announced with the winners getting a WWF Tag Title shot at the Smoking Gunns, and the babyface and heel teams face each other in the first round. A long video recap follows of the 1995 history between Rich/Gilbert and PG-13, most of which you can find on the 1995 Yearbook for only $9.99. Highlights include JC Ice's mother getting punched, PG-13 losing their hair, and one of PG-13 getting piledriven through a table by Rich.

Doug & Tommy are out to talk. Still babyfaces, but Doug is complaining about bias in favor of PG-13 on the part of Randy Hales. Tracy & Jesse James in their matching gear are out to complain about being ignored, then PG-13 come out to state their case, and the brawl with Rich & Gilbert is on.

Amazing what a great piece of business the USWA can still draw out of 8 guys the BIg Two had no interest in in the middle of a war.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-06-USWA-TV] Tommy Rich & Doug Gilbert vs PG-13 feud recap