Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-01-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXII] Sting, Lex Luger and the Road Warriors

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually don't think of the Road Warriors when I think of great promos but this was pretty damn good. Plus the Luger/Sting wedge keeps pushing them apart more and more. Sting is the biggest ignorant babyface in all of wrestling. Luger is the thoughtful heel knowing that beating the Road Warriors maybe one of the toughest tasks in tag team wrestling, he tries to weasel his way around signing the match. Also nice to hear that Tony is running the Play-by-play tonight.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched this yet but I do remember a Luger/Sting interview from this time period where Luger makes the challenge to the Road Warriors for a Chicago Street Fight. Sting is incredulous and asks him if he knew what he just got them into.

Luger: "What? I'm from Chicago, too!"

Sting: "You're from the suburbs Lex!!"

Is that promo on here?

I haven't watched this yet but I do remember a Luger/Sting interview from this time period where Luger makes the challenge to the Road Warriors for a Chicago Street Fight. Sting is incredulous and asks him if he knew what he just got them into.

Is that promo on here?

It's not, and I regret it. I'm not sure what happened, as I was well aware of that promo, always liked it, and even made it a point to want to go on the set.

It will definitely be on a supplemental set.

I saw Bix post on another thread the other line from that great promo:

Sting "you got us into a Chicago Street Fight with the Road Warriors!"

Luger: "Yeah...what is that?"

I loved the clueless putz Lex Luger...it was a really fun character and their odd couple relationship was a blast

• 3 weeks later...

Is that promo on here?

It's not, and I regret it. I'm not sure what happened, as I was well aware of that promo, always liked it, and even made it a point to want to go on the set.

It will definitely be on a supplemental set.

I found that promo if you ever need it. It takes place immediately after the Sting/Luger vs Road Warriors match on Nitro

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Is that the first time the Road Warriors got back together since SummerSlam 92 ? Anyway, although they were clearly past their prime, it was a much more exciting debut (in blue, no less) than going to a draw against the freaking Head Bangers one year later on RAW. Luger is pretty great here, namedropping every team available including the State Patrol. Sting is an idiot. I loved their heel/face tag team, that was fresh and well executed.

• 11 months later...

Luger doesn't see any controversy in how they won the tag titles. The Road Warriors are out and while still chummy with Sting, they want a title shot. Luger points out that they have rematches scheduled with Harlem Heat, as well as other top, *active* contenders like the State Patrol. Lex is petrified of crippling Animal's injured back with his Torture Rack. Hawk responds that they're behind on their yearly beatings quota.

• 2 weeks later...

Warriors come back to a big pop and some boss blue shoulderpads. Sting is all for giving them a title shot but Luger reminds him that they have just came back and that they are nursing injuries. State Patrol seem more legit! I really like this Luger and Sting stuff and think it shows a good dimension to Luger's career overall.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-01-23-WCW-Clash of the Champions XXXII] Sting, Lex Luger and the Road Warriors