Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1996-03-09-ECW-Big Ass Extreme Bash] Cactus Jack vs Mikey Whipwreck

This was the first time I had actually seen all of this.

Wow. Great match (Really) and great post-match.

Of course, the post-match is legendary with the "New York, New York" sendoff, but the Whipwreck respect moment really worked well also.

As an overall presentation, this was incredible, and each piece stood out in a positive way on its own. I will eventually come back to this and talk about it in more detail.

Some of the bumps cactus took were just brutal looking. Especially the back and head first dive into the barricade. I agree with Loss about it being a good match and great post-match.

I had never heard the actual match being talked about before, which is weird, because I also thought it was really good. Some of the bumps, especially from Foley, really looked nasty as all Hell.

Post-match bit was good, too.

Guest aceman

this match was a lot of fun. action never dragged & foley & mikey bring big spots. wild, sustained brawl.

Pretty good action but I thought this went on too long, though I grant that it's late. The standing O before and after the match are legitimately nice moments.

Really violent match that ended just at the right amount of time when I was getting sick of it. This seemed to be more about the viciiouness of the spots instead of the spectacle, blood and variety of weapons that can plague some other ECW brawls. The post match stuff was awesome and note-perfect for Cactus. "Give it up for John" was a sincere touching moment. ***1/ 2

Well I guess I'm the high vote here. I thought this was damn great; it's my second favorite match of the year, and decidedly so. It's definitely an ECW match with weapons, crazy bumps and lots of time spent outside, but it's every bit of a competitive wrestling match with a real storyline and clearly worked roles. Cactus is great working on top, all of his stuff looks about as good as it ever had. Great double arm DDT, great piledriver, great elbow to the outside. Mikey is great as the underdog and whenever he finds an opening for some offense he makes the most of it. I love his dives -- not fancy or 'impressive' at all, just a guy who doesn't have many attributes other than his courage and resilience doing anything he can to take it to a much more formidable opponent. Man, Cactus takes two crazy looking bumps against the guardrail. I found every bit of this match compelling. This would be pretty damn high on my list of best ECW matches.

Post-match is awesome. Crowd is super-appreciative and the whole thing is really well done. A Philly crowd chanting "New York sucks" is gonna do a lot for me too!