Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-09-06-WWF-Raw Championship Friday] Steve Austin vs Marc Mero

Loss

• 1 month later...

Good match. Not at the level of the King of the Ring match, but still very good. Austin was really strong in the ring by this point. He wasn't being put in the position to have great matches week in and week out, but he delivered pretty much every time he had to. So much focus is put on Austin's character, and rightfully so, that it's easy to forget how good he became in the ring.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

This was kind of disappointing, in comparison to the previous bouts between these two. Bullshit finish as well, though it's understandable as Mero was already pegged for the finals and Austin can't be doing jobs now. Even still, it wasn't well-executed or built up to. Pillman on commentary hypes up an interview at Mind Games with Bret Hart, and also teases that he and Owen have reconciled. Interesting development--I thought Bret wasn't officially signed until October or so, but they're already building up the big Bret/Austin clash to the point where you'd think it was a done deal.

Good TV match. Mero is reversing back to a more Johnny B. Badd look, with the robes and the tassles, which is what Vince wanted to begin with. Sable is showing more cleavage too. Hum...

Austin was really getting into a groove, and the intrigue around him and Bret Hart, with Pillman thrown in, made one of the most interesting stuff in the WWF all year long. Things looked to move forward with all those new guys finally, and the eventual come back of Bret seemed like a big deal.

• 7 months later...

This was fine but didn't really inspire a whole lot to me and kind of shows how as bad as the booking with modern day WWE is now, they at least crank out multiple matches at this level every week. Austin showing his technical side has been a nice look as he is slowly gaining some momentum. **

• 1 year later...

Not much of a match. Solid, but unspectacular. Austin gets DQed for pulling the referee into Mero. The post-match brawl is fun. I always enjoy those. The importance of this match is more to do with Pillman on commentary. He claims to have gotten Bret Hart for a big interview at Mind Games & hypes that up. I'm really enjoying the start of this Bret-Austin build. I'm excited to eventually here Bret's response to Austin's challenge.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-09-06-WWF-Raw Championship Friday] Steve Austin vs Marc Mero