Pro Wrestling Only

[1996-10-14-WCW-Nitro] Randy Savage and Elizabeth

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bischoff tries to interview Savage about Elizabeth, and Savage doesn't want to talk about it. Liz does what is probably the best interview of her life, crying and apologizes for everything she has put him through. She films the interview in their old yard, sitting in a swing he built for her. She says she made a huge mistake signing with Hogan, and says she feels the same way about him today that she did the day she said "I do". This is really well-produced and conceived. Savage has nothing to say, and the show fades to black with him taking off in a limo and refusing to talk. They sure did a hell of a job hyping Hogan/Savage for Havoc and involving Liz.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As usual, Liz is about ten million times better in a pre-taped format than a live setting. Good angle but they were really starting to play with fire with live audiences at this point, sometimes neglecting them entirely in favor of the TV audience, particularly since they didn't have a video wall yet. I guess it didn't matter at the time.

• 2 years later...

I vaguely remembered this but it was great watching it now. A really powerful and sad promo by Liz that works both if you are just watching what is on the screen and amplified if you know the real life history of these two. Savage being shaken up and stumbling around on the verge of puking was a powerful thing to see. The build to Hogan vs Savage has been fantastic to me and this may be one of the better months for both WWF and WCW building up their PPV main events.

• GSR changed the title to [1996-10-14-WCW-Nitro] Randy Savage and Elizabeth
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

To PeteF's point, I know the Yearbook was not structured this way, but if you watch Nitro, the first hour was one hour straight of wrestling (four matches in a row). So this was a 5 minute segment, yes without a Tron, this would suck for the live audience, but it was not like they didnt have an hour straight of wrestling. 

This angle fucking ruled! This is why there needs to be more romance in pro wrestling. Love/Romance/Lust are such powerful emotions and they should be included. This was such a powerful segment from Liz's work and especially Savage's who showed a lot of range and vulnerability here. 

Great WCW touch, Mike Enos already came out and the reason Savage was coming out was to wrestle. Savage was red hot. Savage just abandoned the match. Savage had a reason to come out is such a missed motivation in wrestling that started soon after this and continues to this day.